The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped

+4
superflyweight
TRUSSMAN66
AdamT
ONETWOFOREVER
8 posters

Go down

Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped Empty Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 07 Oct 2015, 12:04 pm

So its the aniversiary of most prob the greatest fight ever. A real fight to the death full of drama, insults, hatred. Still remembered today, by those who saw it, as the greatest fight in boxing history.

Has any fight come close to matching it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped Empty Re: Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped

Post by AdamT Wed 07 Oct 2015, 12:08 pm

No not for me. Both guys showed a lot of heart and grit in that fight.

People will point to Gatt v Ward trilogy, Barrera vs Morales, or even Marquez vs Vasquez etc. All great wars.

But seeing two Heavyweights punishing eachother in that manner is crazy. Both guys past their primes, but a great,great fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped Empty Re: Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 Oct 2015, 12:18 pm

Too long for me............Getting impatient in my old age..

I'll stick to quicker wars like Mancini-Frias and Hagler-Hearns..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 07 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:So its the aniversiary of most prob the greatest fight ever. A real fight to the death full of drama, insults, hatred. Still remembered today, by those who saw it, as the greatest fight in boxing history.

Has any fight come close to matching it.

In what way is it the anniversary? The fight took place on 1 October.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 07 Oct 2015, 1:37 pm

Their first fight surpassed it, by quite someway in my eyes. Even in 1971 Ali was clearly not the fighter he had been 3 years earlier, but Joe at least, was in his prime. By the time they met in Manila, all either of them had left was heart, and whilst the bravery and deterioration they displayed was beyond the call of duty, it was boxing reduced almost sadistic levels. Hindsight being what it is, the damage that they were doing to their long term health also makes this fight less palatable to me , in much the same way as watching Eubank-Watson is.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 07 Oct 2015, 1:56 pm

horizontalhero wrote:Their first fight surpassed it, by quite someway in my eyes. Even in 1971 Ali was clearly not the fighter he had been 3 years earlier, but Joe at least, was in his prime. By the time they met in Manila, all either of them had left was heart, and whilst the bravery and deterioration they displayed was beyond the call of duty, it was boxing reduced almost sadistic levels. Hindsight being what it is, the damage that they were doing to their long term health also makes this fight less palatable to me , in much the same way as watching Eubank-Watson is.

Agree with some of what you say but there is always a benchmark in sports and however brutal you saw the 3rd fight it has become the standerd template of a REAL fight for purists to compare.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Oct 2015, 3:36 pm

....and given neither of them were killed, how was a "real fight to the death"

Back to top Go down

Thriller in Manilla 40 years never topped Empty The Thriller in Manila

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 07 Oct 2015, 9:43 pm

horizontalhero wrote:Their first fight surpassed it, by quite someway in my eyes. Even in 1971 Ali was clearly not the fighter he had been 3 years earlier, but Joe at least, was in his prime. By the time they met in Manila, all either of them had left was heart, and whilst the bravery and deterioration they displayed was beyond the call of duty, it was boxing reduced almost sadistic levels. Hindsight being what it is, the damage that they were doing to their long term health also makes this fight less palatable to me , in much the same way as watching Eubank-Watson is.
I agree hero the first fight was much better and the only thing that was made obvious in the second fight was that both fighters had bags of heart and both were able to take too much punishment for their own good. That bout finished both of them, neither was the same after wards.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 09 Oct 2015, 3:35 pm

Completely agree with this. Another is Ali vs Holmes, really hard to watch.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 09 Oct 2015, 4:07 pm

rapidringsroad wrote:
I agree hero the first fight was much better and the only thing that was made obvious in the second fight was that both fighters had bags of heart and both were able to take too much punishment for their own good. That bout finished both of them, neither was the same after wards.

Wouldn't mind being finshed and beating Lyle and Shavers types after the second fight.....

Two of the best heavies never to win the heavy title...

Whilst I agree that they weren't at their best............A little patronising to Ali's later opponents to say he was finished..

He certainly evolved...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 09 Oct 2015, 4:59 pm

huw wrote:

Completely agree with this. Another is Ali vs Holmes, really hard to watch.
I wont watch it.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down