The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O2 not so new

+3
Guest82
bogbrush
banbrotam
7 posters

Go down

O2 not so new Empty O2 not so new

Post by banbrotam Tue 27 Oct 2015, 11:57 am

Unless there's some kind of tennis miracle and Gasquet finally lives up to his talent, we're going to have O2 finals where no less than six of them will be making their sixth appearance or better. Hilariously, there's likely to be a Masters worth of points between them and the rest, by the end of the year

Christ! This even includes Berdych, who will now have been to the finals more times the Goran, Carlos Moya and Davydenko

No débutantes and the youngest member is arguably in decline

In fairness this could be testament to just how good these six have been or as some would have it a reflection of how poor the current 'up and comings' are

Worse, there seems to be no sign that it will be much different next year. OK - maybe Ferrer won't be around, but you wouldn't bet against him been replaced by Tsonga or Richard!!

The fact that Nadal this year and Murray last, can just breeze into London having played their worst tennis of their careers, just labours the point, so I'll stop ranting now Smile

Last edited by banbrotam on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

O2 not so new Empty Re: O2 not so new

Post by bogbrush Tue 27 Oct 2015, 12:34 pm

No, keep ranting - the article says it all. It saves me the typing.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 27 Oct 2015, 5:37 pm

I wouldn't rule out Ferrer getting there again. He's looked in reasonable form recently. I saw a stat that he had picked up more than half his points from 500/250's. He's good at beating the players he's supposed to beat.

Also he was injured for quite a while this season and is still comfortably top eight. Expect by the end of the clay season next year that he will be as good as qualified again.

I am going to the O2 this year - am hoping for a group of; Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Nishikori. Maybe even get to see a Fedal match live.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 27 Oct 2015, 6:41 pm

I think Murray "breezing" to the WTF last year is something of a falsehood Wink. My recollection is of him killing himself to get there playing all sorts of nothing events.

Fair point though - if Nish were to not recover from his shoulder issue, Novak will be the youngest player at the finals.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 27 Oct 2015, 9:20 pm

Born Slippy wrote:I think Murray "breezing" to the WTF last year is something of a falsehood Wink. My recollection is of him killing himself to get there playing all sorts of nothing events.

Fair point though - if Nish were to not recover from his shoulder issue, Novak will be the youngest player at the finals.

"Breezing" was an abuse of my artistic license Wink But once Murray has his even just his B+ game back he was way too much for for everyone other than the usual suspects. Of course Ferrer beating him during this run, gives more evidence to the problem. We'd expect the dependable Spaniard to beat any of of the Top 4 if they were sub-standard (OK perhaps not Wink ) question is why couldn't the young pretenders

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue 27 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm

I think peak age is changing, with Wawrinka doing what he's doing, Federer and Ferrer still going strong it just might mean youngsters are further behind than they used to be as they can't get by on a big forehand and big serve on a fast court like you used to.

Even Berdych who is 30 didn't really become consistent top 10 player til he was 25.

That's why I agree with Nishikori at 26 is still 'young' in today's terms and in mine and manys opinion still the most likely to break through, he's a mini Novak but is actually a little more attractive to watch imo

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 27 Oct 2015, 11:16 pm

All you can do is give them credit. They are there so often because they are almost always the most consistent players of the year. It's not always pretty but those 6 are a cut above the rest and deserve to be. Fed snuck in once playing like tripe as did Andy and as will rafa, it's because their worst is still better than others best

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 27 Oct 2015, 11:19 pm

I think petch mentioned it once. He felt that other young guys were watching these top 4 play their finals and they just go "nope" no way I can do that. It's like how a lot of white athletes are told to go away from sprinting athletics, they don't think they can compete, and therefore don't

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed 28 Oct 2015, 5:48 am

Maybe we really have to wait for that generation consisting of Kygrios, A.Zverev, Coric, Kokkinakis and Thiem? Maybe two to three years more?

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum