The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip

3 posters

Go down

Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip  Empty Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip

Post by Adam D Tue 8 Feb - 14:59

Experienced fly-half Stephen Jones has been dropped to the Wales bench for the Six Nations trip to Scotland and replaced at number 10 by James Hook.

British and Irish Lions star Jones has taken a limited part in training after a bump to his neck during the opening Six Nations loss to England in Cardiff.

Lee Byrne returns to replace Hook at full-back while Ryan Jones comes in at number eight for injured Andy Powell.

Wing Morgan Stoddart is set to start despite suffering a hand fracture.

The Scarlets winger suffered a bone fracture in a hand in his try-scoring performance in Wales' 26-19 defeat against England in Cardiff on Friday.

Stoddart will face a late fitness test ahead of Saturday's Six Nations trip to Murrayfield and centre Jamie Roberts could be switched to the wing if the 26-year-old is ruled ou

full story - bbc website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9390099.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip  Empty The right decision...

Post by Diawl_Rygbi Tue 8 Feb - 20:04

I think that's probably the best team we can hope for with so many injuries throughout the squad. Hook to 10 is a bit of a gamble IMO as I'm not convinced he can play there at international level at present. But he's too good to leave on the bench so once again room has to be found for him.

Now, who to play on the wing instead of Stoddart should he fail the late fitness test? I would be inclined to go:

10 - Priestland
11 - Williams
12 - Hook
13 - Davies
14 - Roberts
15 - Byrne

My selection is purely based on who is currently training with the squad at the moment. In an ideal world, I think I would call up Brew or Prydie (on the basis that he has trained regularly with the Welsh squad over the past 12 months) and play one of those on the wing, play Hook at 10 and Davies/Roberts in the 12/13 spots...

So, will Stoddart make it or not? General consensus?

Diawl_Rygbi

Back to top Go down

Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip  Empty Re: Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip

Post by eirebilly Wed 9 Feb - 18:11

I like the thought of Hook at 10 for Wales. I think he could be a good attacking force against Scotland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip  Empty Re: Hook replaces Jones for Wales' Scots trip

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down