The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many of these do you think will sign ?

+16
mikey_dragon
munkian
GavinDragon
beshocked
funnyExiledScot
doctornickolas
Chunky Norwich
VinceWLB
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
LordDowlais
WELL-PAST-IT
Pot Hale
Hazel Sapling
lostinwales
BamBam
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many of these do you think will sign ? Empty How many of these do you think will sign ?

Post by LordDowlais Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 pm

How many of these players do you reckon will be playing in Wales next season ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/seven-key-out-contract-wales-10551331

All out of contract at the end of the season:-

Rhys Webb (Ospreys)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
Scott Williams (Scarlets)
Taulupe Faletau (Dragons)
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
Alex Cuthbert (Blues)

Out if that seven I reckon Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert and Tauluoe Faletau will not be in Wales next season. The Ospreys boys will re-sign and the mess surrounding Scott Williams will be sorted, Gareth Davies is apparently re-signing with Scarlets, but that is seven Wales first teamers there. They will be in demand no doubt.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

How many of these do you think will sign ? Empty Re: How many of these do you think will sign ?

Post by BamBam Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 am

Are there any of those that you think should move away LD? For the benefit of their careers, or because there are prospects coming through who could do with the game time etc

BamBam

Back to top Go down

How many of these do you think will sign ? Empty Re: How many of these do you think will sign ?

Post by LondonTiger Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 am

Why would Wales start with two scrum halves?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 am

BamBam wrote:Are there any of those that you think should move away LD? For the benefit of their careers, or because there are prospects coming through who could do with the game time etc

Out of those, only Alex Cuthbert could do with a fresh start. The rest all still have a lot to offer Wales and the regions. I would be gutted to see the rest jump ship to a club outside of Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:05 am

LondonTiger wrote:Why would Wales start with two scrum halves?

1st and 2nd choice, but both in the squad. Hence first teamers.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:05 am

LondonTiger wrote:Why would Wales start with two scrum halves?

To make up for all the years they started without any? (Sorry Mike...)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:19 am

I can already see the English fans on here circling at the thought of signing one of those seven players for their teams. Shocked

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:23 am

Rhys Webb (Ospreys)  -  I can see him moving if there is a big money deal available.  Although, he is nowhere near a dead cert for the Welsh shirt, so if a NDC is on the table he may take it, to try and secure his place in the team.

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)  -  I can see him moving if there is a big money offer.  He is a starter for Wales no matter what, and would definitely be the 'wild card selection' if he did move.  So why not take the cash when he can?

Scott Williams (Scarlets)  -  well, the less said about this farce the better.  A real sign that things are not working as expected with regards the NDCs.

Taulupe Faletau (Dragons)  -  I can see him moving from the Dragons, but staying in Wales.

Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)  -  Heart says he will come to the Scarlets, head says Wasps.

Gareth Davies (Scarlets)  -  Pretty sure he will stay put, although I honestly can not see a NDC offer for him.

Alex Cuthbert (Blues) - Really hope he does go, that way he will either have to prove himself in a new environment, or disappear into obscurity. And to be honest I would be happy with either outcome.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 am

LordDowlais wrote:I can already see the English fans on here circling at the thought of signing one of those seven players for their teams. Shocked

Do not want any of them thanks.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:55 am

I guess you mean Davies is on the bench? 2 scrum halves otherwise.

Webb has wrecked his knee; does he really want to go to France with unlimited playing time? If he does good luck to him. Verdict: Stay

Alun Wyn Jones is 30. If he wants to go, it would hurt in the short term but would not be the end of days. Toulon probably would view him as a replacement for Paul O'Connell if POC is never the same. He probably will have demand from France for his final 3-5 years of top level club rugby. He may fancy the change in weather. Verdict: Go

Williams would be a loss as Scarlets have a pretty good team and could actually do something if healthy. Feel a deal will be done. Verdict: Stay

Faletau should go and play for a better team. Newport seem to be the ginger step-child of welsh rugby. Hope he stays to lead all the young players though. It may change things. I doubt he will. Verdict: Go

Halfpenny is small, injury-prone coming off a devastating knee injury (that I am also rehabbing from without access to his level of care). If he costs 400k+ then let someone else pay for a season where he is effectively recovering his form. Some players are never the same physically and/or mentally. I think the WRU will try to get him back regardless. Verdict: To Osprey's (Scarlets have L Williams)

Davies has had only a few games for Wales so price should not be too high. If he wants to compete internationally then he will stay. Verdict: Stay

Cuthbert has been crap (watched him against Glasgow live and he was not noticeable except for his height). He needs a change of scenery. Walker and Amos I rate as playing better at the moment let alone North and L Williams. Awkward really because he should go, but that may end his Welsh career for a bit. Think Cardiff will keep him. Big mistake. Verdict: Stay

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:08 am

How much are the WRU paying for clubs to take Cuthbert out of Wales?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:44 am

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:How much are the WRU paying for clubs to take Cuthbert out of Wales?

I seem to remember Cuthbert being offered a new contract by the Blues a while back but turned it down (probably in the hope he'd be signed up by a big club). The his game went to sh*t...... and now he's got no contract offers. Oh dear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:50 am

Strong rumour that Webb will heading across the water next season.

To Leinster.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:52 pm

I think the only one that Saints should be interested in is Wyn Jones, the perfect partner for Lawes. I don't rate Paterson, Matfield is only a 40 minute player and Day whilst good, is not as good as Wyn Jones.

Day/Craig and Matfield/Paterson can cover internation duty periods plus Dickinson is now slouch at lock.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 am

Pot Hale wrote:Strong rumour that Webb will heading across the water next season.

To Leinster.

'strong' rumor ?

Everywhere else says hes looking to stay with the Ospreys which seems legit considering he'd still be partnered with Biggar,
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:07 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Rhys Webb (Ospreys)  -  I can see him moving if there is a big money deal available.  Although, he is nowhere near a dead cert for the Welsh shirt, so if a NDC is on the table he may take it, to try and secure his place in the team.

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)  -  I can see him moving if there is a big money offer.  He is a starter for Wales no matter what, and would definitely be the 'wild card selection' if he did move.  So why not take the cash when he can?

Scott Williams (Scarlets)  -  well, the less said about this farce the better.  A real sign that things are not working as expected with regards the NDCs.

Taulupe Faletau (Dragons)  -  I can see him moving from the Dragons, but staying in Wales.

Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)  -  Heart says he will come to the Scarlets, head says Wasps.

Gareth Davies (Scarlets)  -  Pretty sure he will stay put, although I honestly can not see a NDC offer for him.

Alex Cuthbert (Blues)  -  Really hope he does go, that way he will either have to prove himself in a new environment, or disappear into obscurity.  And to be honest I would be happy with either outcome.

Faletau has always said if he doesnt stay at the Dragons he wouldn't move to another region. And apparently hes in 'advanced DC talks at the moment'

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:58 am

Munkian, I really hope that is the case regarding Faletau, im not overly keen on players who are happy moving to other regions purely for cash.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:23 am

All.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 am

LD - http://m.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/14130951.Wales_ace_Faletau_in_talks_over_dual_deal_and_Dragons_stay/

So where in Wales do you see him moving?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:LD - http://m.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/14130951.Wales_ace_Faletau_in_talks_over_dual_deal_and_Dragons_stay/

To be honest I could have seen him go to any of the other regions. Money at the Blues, or top tier euro rugby at the other two.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:17 am

mikey_dragon wrote:LD - http://m.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/14130951.Wales_ace_Faletau_in_talks_over_dual_deal_and_Dragons_stay/

I do not see him moving to another side in Wales, to be honest I thought he might go to Bath. This is all good news for me.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:25 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

To be honest I could have seen him go to any of the other regions.  Money at the Blues, or top tier euro rugby at the other two.

They'd have to be desperate for a No.8 who will only be available half the time too. That's only the Scarlets isn't it?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:43 am

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I can already see the English fans on here circling at the thought of signing one of those seven players for their teams. Shocked

Do not want any of them thanks.

+1. Added to that I doubt we could afford them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:05 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:I guess you mean Davies is on the bench? 2 scrum halves otherwise.

Webb has wrecked his knee; does he really want to go to France with unlimited playing time? If he does good luck to him. Verdict: Stay

Alun Wyn Jones is 30. If he wants to go, it would hurt in the short term but would not be the end of days. Toulon probably would view him as a replacement for Paul O'Connell if POC is never the same. He probably will have demand from France for his final 3-5 years of top level club rugby. He may fancy the change in weather. Verdict: Go

Williams would be a loss as Scarlets have a pretty good team and could actually do something if healthy. Feel a deal will be done. Verdict: Stay

Faletau should go and play for a better team. Newport-Gwent Dragons seem to be the ginger step-child of welsh rugby. Hope he stays to lead all the young players though. It may change things. I doubt he will. Verdict: Go

Halfpenny is small, injury-prone coming off a devastating knee injury (that I am also rehabbing from without access to his level of care). If he costs 400k+ then let someone else pay for a season where he is effectively recovering his form. Some players are never the same physically and/or mentally. I think the WRU will try to get him back regardless. Verdict: To Osprey's (Scarlets have L Williams)

Davies has had only a few games for Wales so price should not be too high. If he wants to compete internationally then he will stay. Verdict: Stay

Cuthbert has been crap (watched him against Glasgow live and he was not noticeable except for his height). He needs a change of scenery. Walker and Amos I rate as playing better at the moment let alone North and L Williams. Awkward really because he should go, but that may end his Welsh career for a bit. Think Cardiff will keep him. Big mistake. Verdict: Stay

Fixed that for you thumbsup

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:09 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:I guess you mean Davies is on the bench? 2 scrum halves otherwise.

Faletau should go and play for a better team. Newport-Gwent Dragons seem to be the ginger step-child of welsh rugby. Hope he stays to lead all the young players though. It may change things. I doubt he will. Verdict: Go

You pedant. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:14 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

To be honest I could have seen him go to any of the other regions.  Money at the Blues, or top tier euro rugby at the other two.

Faletau and 1/2p to Cardiff then.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

You pedant. Very Happy

Absolutely ;-). Coming down Dave Parade at Christmas David?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:24 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

You pedant. Very Happy

Would love to, but I can't unfortunately.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:55 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

You pedant. Very Happy

Shouldn't the Gwent Dragons thread title be "Fixed" also, for accuracy like. Shewerly it's important that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Adding to the confusion otherwise. Shewerly?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Only two players I think would be considered by Saracens would be Webb or Davies as a replacement for De Kock.

None of the others would make sense.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 pm

beshocked wrote:Only two players I think would be considered by Saracens would be Webb or Davies as a replacement for De Kock.

As Sarries will be looking for a 3rd string SH, that would be a waste of money. Hodgson is the only real spot you need to replace, and all indications are that will be filled by Lozowski from Wasps.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Faletau is going to Bath. Shower of over privileged bastards.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Bath sign Falatau

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:20 pm

munkian wrote:Faletau is going to Bath. Shower of over privileged bastards.

So the long and short of it is Gatland's decision to not allow his sale has shafted the Dragons £500k.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Is this for real? Dragons had the opportunity to get a fee but instead Bath will get him free?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:25 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Is this for real? Dragons had the opportunity to get a fee but instead Bath will get him free?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-decision-block-toby-faletau-10347912

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34601282

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Is this for real? Dragons had the opportunity to get a fee but instead Bath will get him free?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-decision-block-toby-faletau-10347912

It's pathetic, it's not like offloading Faletau at the end of last season would have interfered with the world cup as he would have been in Welsh training camps anyway. This is unfathomable.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Gatland cost Welsh rugby another £200,000. Just another day in Welsh rugby.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:

£200k? I thought it was far more than that (when you take wages etc into the equation too).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Read £500k somewhere...

Dragons should be looking at doing a swap and get Leroy Houston, very good player and available all year.

Last edited by VinceWLB on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:

£200k?  I thought it was far more than that (when you take wages etc into the equation too).

The wages would probably have been spent elsewhere rather than saved though, in their budget. £200k would have been added to their budget. So in real terms it's the 200k only (or whatever it is).

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:Only two players I think would be considered by Saracens would be Webb or Davies as a replacement for De Kock.

As Sarries will be looking for a 3rd string SH, that would be a waste of money. Hodgson is the only real spot you need to replace, and all indications are that will be filled by Lozowski from Wasps.

Well personally I think Webb would be 1st choice if he came to Sarries, yes I think he's better than Wigglesworth, Davies would fight for 1st choice 9 with Wigglesworth.

Would be hard on Spencer perhaps but Sarries definitely need another 9. Doesn't necessarily need to be one of these Welsh lads but I am sure Sarries will consider them.

Would expect Lozowski to be on a lower salary than Hodgson (should definitely be) which should mean that Saracens could spend more on another area.

Looking forward to seeing Faletau take on his cousins in the AP.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 pm

beshocked wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Well personally I think Webb would be 1st choice if he came to Sarries, yes I think he's better than Wigglesworth, Davies would fight for 1st choice 9 with Wigglesworth.

I think you are missing my point. While Sarries could pay a lot of money for a new first choice SH, it would only be a marginal improvement to the club - especially if they sign someone who is away for 9 weeks of the season on Int duty. Sarries only need a new 3rd choice SH and, assuming they choose to stay under the new agreed salary cap, they are much better spending finite resources elsewhere.

Number 8 seems to lack any cover atm for example. Openside will also need recruitment as Burger is almost in the knackers yard.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 pm

So how does Bath signing Toby stack up now with the whole Gatland's Law nonsense.

I'll bet you 50p that even though he was offered an NDC somehow there will be a loophole that says he isn't caught.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:55 pm

doctornickolas wrote:So how does Bath signing Toby stack up now with the whole Gatland's Law nonsense.

I'll bet you 50p that even though he was offered an NDC somehow there will be a loophole that says he isn't caught.

From a Scottish perspective it isn't great news for David Denton who already appears to be struggling to get onto the pitch for Bath. Houston, Faletau and Denton - that's a pretty full stable of number 8s.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Londontiger I guess it depends where Saracens plan to use the academy and how much they are rated.

At 9 they have Spencer and Taylor as young guns but Webb would be a step up on all 9s IMO.

As for flankers, plenty of youngsters like Hankin,Conlon and Hayden Thompson Stringer. Are they good enough though?

At no 8 they have Vunisa,Billy and Wray.

The players that Saracens are rumoured to be looking at are Webb at 9 as replacement for De Kock, Schalk Burger as replacement for Jacques Burger, Alex Lozowski for Hodgson.

None of these signings might happen.

Wigglesworth is competent but Webb and Davies would be a nice contrast if not better.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:09 pm

You probably need a hooker too. With George probably likely to be away for weeks at a time, Brits approaching the end and Saunders incompetent - there coudl be a need.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Again it's the question of how much the academy in those positions is rated.

I guess when you put it that way 9 isn't as high priority.

I am mentioning Webb and Davies because they are the only players on this list of Welsh players I could see being considered for Saracens.

Surprised you wouldn't consider Halfpenny for Tigers, I think a goal kicker of his calibre would be a real asset.

I think Scott Williams would fit nicely at Wasps in their backline.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

You pedant. Very Happy

Shouldn't the Gwent Dragons thread title be "Fixed" also, for accuracy like. Shewerly it's important that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Adding to the confusion otherwise. Shewerly?

No. It is propaganda which is vital to my cause!!!!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:50 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Read £500k somewhere...

Dragons should be looking at doing a swap and get Leroy Houston, very good player and available all year.

Apparently we did have an interest in him before, but a deal never materialised.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next