The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonights Action

+30
Mayweathers cellmate
Derbymanc
kingraf
ShahenshahG
themadworldofjb
AZZJ44
Mad for Chelsea
spencerclarke
Rodney
EX7EY
Hammersmith harrier
Herman Jaeger
DuransHorse
Pedro147
djlovesyou
wheelchair1991
Wpwp86
3fingers
horizontalhero
Steffan
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
Duty281
mobilemaster8
ONETWOFOREVER
rob-glos
RatBoy66
Good Golly I'm Olly
B.A. BARACUS
armchairwarrior
hampo17
34 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Tonights Action - Page 5 Empty Tonights Action

Post by hampo17 Sat 12 Dec - 17:40

First topic message reminder :

Evening guys, who's tuning in to tonights action then?

Starting us off is Boxnation which is showing Enzo vs Roy Jones JR that card has already started.

Anybody see any upsets happening?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tonights Action - Page 5 Empty Re: Tonights Action

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 13 Dec - 0:37

Mad to say a couple of hours ago but I don't think he's ready for Teper. Del boy or another Brit at British level before going to euro. He might not even be matched that tough tho. There's a lot riding on Joshua for matchroom. Wouldn't be surprised if they feed him Price.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 13 Dec - 0:41

I reckon this is a good thing he came out of it wiser and actually wrested control with guts and thought. In the old days this is how fighters learned and necessity dictated their learning curve. I hope they put him in another toughie. Even nominally rather than actually tough. Just to see if he's learned not to f*ck about.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 13 Dec - 0:50

Chisora will be next I'm sure. He was on the card (albeit last minute) and I think its a good Saturday night fight on SS1.

If you look at our world champs most of them won British and Commonwealth titles and had to go through hell in either winning them or defending them. They are so valuable and I feel some prospects see them as stepping stones. Joshua didnt but others have
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Dec - 6:02

Good fight, Joshua got chin checked and I think it turns out he has a serviceable chin. Not quite Vitali, but Whyte came on a 12 fight KO streak so he can't be throwing butterflies.

We don't actually know how good Whyte is so its hard to say if AJ beat a contender or a British level stepping stone. Still, if you ignore the mess which happened early on it was a controlled victory which had a touch of the Wladimir about it
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 13 Dec - 10:16

Its unavoidable that Joshua will some day upgrade his corner it might as well be now. Joshua is tall but so are his peers in Fury and Wilder so AJ needs to learn head movement ASAP it don't have to be Tysonesc but there has to be some at least.

Good fight rather then great but worth the PPV Joshua should stay away from Povitkin that is all I'm saying.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Dec - 10:28

Turned into a good test for Joshua. Nice to see him take a punch, rid himself of complacency, get some rounds in, and not have everything go his own way.

Here's to a good, active 2016 for him.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 13 Dec - 11:25

Just caught up on the fight this morning. Best Heavyweight fight I've seen in years. Whyte gave everything and I had him ahead after 3. Joshua took control after that and what a beast of a finish that was.

Joshua aint ready for World Level. He needs more time. More fights like this to help him deveolp his skills.

themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 13 Dec - 11:50

Was a good scrap but anyone that thinks that makes the PPV worthwhile is deluded and should never EVER complain about paying for any halfway competetive fight again.

A bunch of domestic level/title elimanators does not a good card make. Although I'd pay PPV if I didn't have to listen to the completely biased and ridiculous commentating that goes on. Stop telling us you hope the judges have things different, we want to see fair fights with the geezer that deserves it winning, not just the home fighters. And Watt (I think) trying to justify making the Mendy knockdown a 10/10 round because 'it wasn't a knockdown' was cringeworthy. He got put on his butt, mark your card to reflect it you donut.

Bellew looked poor again and i'm gutted for the lad but if he's not into it as much anymore, might be time to hang them up and become a pundit for someone. (Nice to hear the honesty from him at the end though)

Campbells loss will do him good, needed to be brought down a touch and hopefully his corner will look at that and realise you can't keep telling a fighters he's doing well when he isn't. You might have thought you won Luke, but you didn't back to the drawing board and come back stronger.

Mitchell had me scratching my head, didn't look with it at all and seemed very slow and sluggish, there may be a way back for him but it's going to take a lot of hard work.

Chisora - Pants, waste of time but at least he was honest enough to say it was a glorified sparring session.

Joshua - Did we overrate him, underrate Whyte or did the emotions finally crack the robot??? who knows, decent fight and that Josh shown his boxing brain as the fight went on. Good to see him have to knuckle down and he shown he could take and recover from a punch. Whyte was still thoroughly outclassed which was became evident as the fight went on. And the only distasteful thing was the over the top celebration at the end when Whyte was KTFO, pretty sure someone went up to AJ and told him to calm it a minute and got told to EFF off.
I get you don't like the guy and it meant a lot to beat him from the trenches but at least wait till your told he's okay. (Thought it was gonna go horribly at the end in all honesty)
Again good on him for the honesty though and nice to not see the pair of them embracing and acting like long lost brothers (I think/hope AJ was giving Whytes trainer some kudos though) And brilliant remark from his Dad Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 13 Dec - 11:53

Derbymanc wrote:Was a good scrap but anyone that thinks that makes the PPV worthwhile is deluded and should never EVER complain about paying for any halfway competetive fight again.

A bunch of domestic level/title elimanators does not a good card make. Although I'd pay PPV if I didn't have to listen to the completely biased and ridiculous commentating that goes on. Stop telling us you hope the judges have things different, we want to see fair fights with the geezer that deserves it winning, not just the home fighters. And Watt (I think) trying to justify making the Mendy knockdown a 10/10 round because 'it wasn't a knockdown' was cringeworthy. He got put on his butt, mark your card to reflect it you donut.

Bellew looked poor again and i'm gutted for the lad but if he's not into it as much anymore, might be time to hang them up and become a pundit for someone. (Nice to hear the honesty from him at the end though)

Campbells loss will do him good, needed to be brought down a touch and hopefully his corner will look at that and realise you can't keep telling a fighters he's doing well when he isn't. You might have thought you won Luke, but you didn't back to the drawing board and come back stronger.

Mitchell had me scratching my head, didn't look with it at all and seemed very slow and sluggish, there may be a way back for him but it's going to take a lot of hard work.

Chisora - Pants, waste of time but at least he was honest enough to say it was a glorified sparring session.

Joshua - Did we overrate him, underrate Whyte or did the emotions finally crack the robot??? who knows, decent fight and that Josh shown his boxing brain as the fight went on. Good to see him have to knuckle down and he shown he could take and recover from a punch. Whyte was still thoroughly outclassed which was became evident as the fight went on. And the only distasteful thing was the over the top celebration at the end when Whyte was KTFO, pretty sure someone went up to AJ and told him to calm it a minute and got told to EFF off.
I get you don't like the guy and it meant a lot to beat him from the trenches but at least wait till your told he's okay. (Thought it was gonna go horribly at the end in all honesty)
Again good on him for the honesty though and nice to not see the pair of them embracing and acting like long lost brothers (I think/hope AJ was giving Whytes trainer some kudos though) And brilliant remark from his Dad Smile

Drops the mic
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Dec - 12:17

In the heat of battle everyone celebrates victory and you can't be critical of anyone celebrating a bit over the top.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sun 13 Dec - 12:21

Oooft, on a side note, Macca knocked RJJ TFO last night. Please god let that be the sign that Roy needs to retire
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 13 Dec - 12:29

Joshua is Bruno mk2.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Sun 13 Dec - 13:04

I was surprised that Jonathan Banks didn't impress upon Whyte to use a stiff jab certainly after the first 3 round when the red mist had cleared...and he was still there! Its clear Dillian has a damp good chin but he kept on being macho and testing it. Not saying he would have won but I think his potshot brawling style was not winning rounds although he gave Joshua a good test

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Sun 13 Dec - 13:10

Whyte proved he could take a punch but there was no need to keep taking it after a few rounds when it's clear some boxing is needed ...Fury on the form he had a couple of weeks ago would have played with him..to frantic and angry. I can't believe Banks agreed with that strategy. Happy with the result though

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Sun 13 Dec - 13:13

TBH Whyte could learn something from Wladimir and Wladimir needs some of Whytes guts..both in the same camp and could learn from each other

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 13 Dec - 13:24

The difference between Whyte and Bruno is that Whyte appears to carry his power longer, Frank only really had two rounds.

They should fast track Joshua before he gets clipped, somebody else won't let him off the hook. He does have the equaliser though and stamina looks serviceable.

And to think Nigel Benn of all people who  knows his boxing thinks today's heavyweights would beat the Alis and Listons. Sorry, just can't agree with that.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 13 Dec - 14:47

Joshua really needs to add head movement and feinting to his game, was too easy to hit and very predictable at times. Also, needs to stop loading up; he was throwing that straight right like a guy behind on the cards heading into the championship rounds.
I think Joshua would seriously benefit from a coach with a little more technical knowledge: he seems to still be relying far too much on natural power and athleticism than improving his all-round game. Something which will have him found out at top level and is definitely not conducive to a lengthy career. I was also very surprised that Joshua was never the dominant jabber in the fight. Overall, a good fight with a lot Joshua can take away and learn from, hopefully he does.

I feel like a lot of people are doing Joshua and Whyte a disservice by branding Whyte as nothing more than British level. Afterall, Joseph Parker is considered a top prospect who will definitely challenge respectably for world honours and yet they have two opponents in common: Costa Junior was defeated by Parker in 4 and Whyte in 1, and Nascimento who was stopped in 2 by Whyte and went 7 with Parker whilst giving him trouble and shaking him up.

Last edited by Pound-for-Pound on Sun 13 Dec - 15:27; edited 2 times in total

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 13 Dec - 15:22

I want to see Eubank in with Jacobs already.

Hope Eddy doesn't stall him with his ppv plans.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 13 Dec - 19:26

Joshua wasn't used to being hit back and that chin - while certainly not china - is crackable (as we saw in that amateur vid from last week). AJ looks like Bruno with Lennox's offence. That probably takes him pretty far these days but I'm not sure he'd beat Fury (I was convinced he would previously).

Eubank looked great in spots. A fight with Jacobs would be fun.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 13 Dec - 19:49

To beat a taller guy with the range on you, who can bang, and who is a better boxer then you, you have to have a great chin, keep your head on their chest, be busy, cut the ring off and be supremely fit.

A dodgey game plan (or an inability to execute it) mixed with poor fitness let Whyte down.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 14 Dec - 9:08

3fingers wrote:To beat a taller guy with the range on you, who can bang, and who is a better boxer then you, you have to have a great chin, keep your head on their chest, be busy, cut the ring off and be supremely fit.

A dodgey game plan (or an inability to execute it) mixed with poor fitness let Whyte down.

^^ agree with this.

Joshua looks a reincarnation of Michael Grant to me - Very top heavy - robotic, fights in straight lines, no head movement. What he does have is raw power and an heart to win - which maybe enough these days.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 14 Dec - 13:45

So do we think Eddie will put Crolla in with Barroso after he demolished Mitchell? The jab for the first knockdown didn't look to have much on it but took everything from Mitchell.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 14 Dec - 16:55

Rodney wrote:
3fingers wrote:To beat a taller guy with the range on you, who can bang, and who is a better boxer then you, you have to have a great chin, keep your head on their chest, be busy, cut the ring off and be supremely fit.

^^ agree with this.

Joshua looks a reincarnation of Michael Grant to me - Very top heavy - robotic, fights in straight lines, no head movement. What he does have is raw power and an heart to win - which maybe enough these days.

Cheers, Rodders

To be fair... Raw power and will power is generally a pretty good draw. Foreman didnt exactly move like he'd judt just stepped off a broadway run of Waltzing Matilda
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Mon 14 Dec - 17:10

PaulHv2 wrote:So do we think Eddie will put Crolla in with Barroso after he demolished Mitchell? The jab for the first knockdown didn't look to have much on it but took everything from Mitchell.

He will do everything in his power to not make it but I don't think he has much of a choice. Barroso is now mandated
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Dec - 17:22

Everyone fighting Joshua from now on will be looking for another Jumbo Cummings moment.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 14 Dec - 21:15

Welcome from a stinking hot Adelaide!

Just caught up with the fight on YouTube. I personally saw a guy that went gung Ho and got caught by a massive punch, took a couple of rounds to regain composure and his head (stopped charging in without movement or a jab) and got the job done.

He wasn't caught by a cuffing punch that exposed Price's chin, he got hammered. For me his whiskers stood up to the question.

He hit Whyte with some massive punches, the guy has a serious iron chin.

He didn't appear to gas to me, if he did he wouldn't be throwing massive knockout punches. For me he got caught in the moment and just wasn't showing any movement - that includes round one!!

Overall I despair with some who say he's not all that good, got exposed etc. Complete nonsense. He got caught, took round 3 off and barring that was always winning even if he got completely caught up in the rivalry and fought a poor fight in terms of tactics - that's all I could accuse him of.

Give him two more fights before fighting Haye in the summer. We will then truly know if he's the real deal or not. Isn't his fault he's not even boxed for 60 minutes before the Whyte fight. It is his fault he went mad rather than box and look for openings, if you take one punch in round 2 (when he was on top) he outboxed the guy for 90% of the fight....

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Dec - 21:25

Tend to agree with Coxy, think Joshua got caught up in the hype and "grudge" and went all a bit shoot out in the first couple of rounds. Once he realised a, Whyte was tough enough not to be bowled over and b, might just carry enough power to take him out he fought sensibly and from the third or fourth on it was pretty much him winning all the way. Don't think he gassed either, think he was conserving himself, which lets face it is pretty sensible when you've never done more than three rounds and have a guy in front of you who might just be able to go the distance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 14 Dec - 21:47

Rowley wrote:Tend to agree with Coxy, think Joshua got caught up in the hype and "grudge" and went all a bit shoot out in the first couple of rounds. Once he realised a, Whyte was tough enough not to be bowled over and b, might just carry enough power to take him out he fought sensibly and from the third or fourth  on it was pretty much him winning all the way. Don't think he gassed either, think he was conserving himself, which lets face it is pretty sensible when you've never done more than three rounds and have a guy in front of you who might just be able to go the distance.

Thought you agreeing with me might not happen in 2015 but finally it did! Wink

Not a fan of Chisora next. Brings a decent chin but his best form is behind him and don't think he really wants it anymore.

Bring on Haye, will be a big affair that one!!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 14 Dec - 22:03

I'd be surprised if Chisora fights Joshua, he seems more interested in Haye rematch. Joshua is a bad match-up for him at this stage.

But the Chisora from a couple of years ago in the Vitali fight who could get the right hand working to the body would have been interesting.

The Whyte rematch makes sense surely if they're up for it, I thought Whyte looked the smoother boxer, can't rule him out in the return.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5