The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ike Ibeabuchi comeback

+3
ONETWOFOREVER
Baby faced assassin
Atila
7 posters

Go down

Ike Ibeabuchi comeback Empty Ike Ibeabuchi comeback

Post by Atila Sun 27 Dec 2015, 3:14 am

Out of custody, heavyweight Ike Ibeabuchi plans comeback at 43
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/out-of-custody--heavyweight-ike-ibeabuchi-plans-comeback-at-43-003001842.html

Ike Ibeabuchi was once one of boxing's greatest championship prospects, a massive heavyweight with quickness and incredible punching power. The Nigerian was 20-0 with 15 knockouts while competing from 1994 through March 20, 1999, and had notable victories over David Tua and Chris Byrd.

But Ibeabuchi had numerous legal issues and on July 22, 1999, he was accused of sexually assaulting a dancer he'd hired to come to his room at a hotel in Las Vegas.

On Nov. 8, 2001, Ibeabuchi submitted an Alford plea on charges of battery with intent to commit a crime and attempted sexual assault. An Alford plea is one in which the defendant does not admit the charges, but concedes it is likely the prosecutiion has enough evidence that it is likely he would be found guilty.

Ibeabuchi received sentences of two to 10 years for the battery conviction and three to 20 years on the attempted sexual assault charge. A judge ruled the convinctions would be served consecutively.

He was released by the Nevada prison system on Feb. 28, 2014, but was handed to the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement, which detained him in Eloy, Ariz. He was released from custody by ICE in November.

Ibeabuchi contacted Yahoo Sports by telephone on Christmas and said he hoped to fight on the planned Manny Pacquiao card on April 9 in Las Vegas. He's hired Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, to lead his career. Koncz told Yahoo Sports that Ibeabuchi has his blessing to be on the undercard.

Pacquiao has not announced an opponent, but is choosing from a group of fighters that includes Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan and Adrien Broner.

"[Ibeabuchi] has served his time and wants to improve himself and Manny feels that since he's served his term and is trying to turn his life around, he deserves a second chance," Koncz said.

Ibeabuchi, who earned two Associate's degrees while in prison, faces significant hurdles in order to be licensed to fight again. To begin with, it will be more than 17 years between fights for him if he follows through with his attempt to fight on April 9. His last appearance in the ring was on March 20, 1999, when he knocked Byrd down twice and stopped him in the fifth round in an HBO-televised bout in Tacoma, Wash.

Ibeabuchi, who is 6-foot-2, said he weighs 245 pounds. He insisted he is healthy and prepared to compete at the highest level of the sport.

"I am definitely in shape and I understand I would have to prove this," he said. "I need to fight for the heavyweight championship of the world and I understand that I will have to prove myself worthy. Any of the tests that would be required of me, an EKG, an MRI, an EEG, those kinds of tests, X-rays, things that would be required to obtain a boxing license, were done while I was incarcerated. But I am willing to cooperate and do whatever so that I may obtain my boxing [license] and appear on this card in Las Vegas."

Atila

Back to top Go down

Ike Ibeabuchi comeback Empty Re: Ike Ibeabuchi comeback

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:36 am

Ike already took too many shots in that Tua fight dont think a return is such a great idea

He was known for his physical strength, punch volume and chin which are all things that at 42 you can imagine he doesn't have anymore
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm

I am all for giving a man another chance in life and I feel Ike has changed from the person that committed such a crime. Will understand the victims feelings also at the prospect of seeing Ike in the spotlight but he has served his time and in that time he has lost he seems to have matured I don't think he sounds like someone who wants to go back to jail.

but boxing is the wrong sport to just take up again after nearly 20 years out.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 27 Dec 2015, 3:52 pm

I'm sure his mental illness should keep him from fighting for any reputable athletic commission in the US.

In saying that, if Jones Jnr can be 5 years older and continually knocked out then surely Ike can considering he's suffered no further brain trauma for 16 years!

I guess he'll be fighting in Russia then!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:17 pm

Perhaps he can take on Donovan Ruddock in a "Who's best of the never-quite-made-it club"...

I'd still pick him to beat Wilder though. censored

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Mon 28 Dec 2015, 9:21 pm

How interesting! I did a post recently including him as one half of a fantasy fight.

I can see why he would come back looking at the scene now. If he is 70% as good as he was and equally as relentless, he'll be a handful. If he's 90% or more then in my opinion more than one top heavyweight will cop it! Ike was a very good boxer working every second of every round with power and menace!...pity the first opponent if he really is fit.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 29 Dec 2015, 12:54 am

Think it's unreasonable to think he'd be 90% the fighter he was though at his age and length of time out a proper gym let alone a boxing ring
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 29 Dec 2015, 3:13 am

And the HW division goes from strength to strength. He's going to be an old man who has probably watched Rocky VI and thinks it's a documentary.

Was going to say he won't get a license but they let drugs cheats, rapists and so forth fight in Vegas before.

He won't be 30% of the fighter he was.. FACT!!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 29 Dec 2015, 9:04 am

Coxy001 wrote:And the HW division goes from strength to strength. He's going to be an old man who has probably watched Rocky VI and thinks it's a documentary.

Was going to say he won't get a license but they let drugs cheats, rapists and so forth fight in Vegas before.

He won't be 30% of the fighter he was.. FACT!!

Completely agree that he'll be a shadow of himself. The way Wilder shamefully defends his belt I wouldn't be surprised to see him defend against Briggs and Ike in 2016!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Tue 29 Dec 2015, 11:14 am

Your right...just wishful thinking after a beer!

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down