The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

5 posters

Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:49 am

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-10-greatest-welterweights-of-all-time/

1. Robinson
2. Armstrong
3. Leonard
4. Napoles
5. Ross
6. Mayweather
7. Walcott
8. Griffith
9. Pacquiao
10. Lewis

Baffled how Mayweather and Pacquiao made this list (considering they didn't sort out who was the top dog until last year).

Off the top of my head I'd go with:

1. Robinson
2. Leonard
3. Armstrong
4. Gavilan
5. Burley
6. Ross
7. Napoles
8. Walcott
9. Griffith
10. Hearns

How does everyone else have it?

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

I think Floyd should be there for ability, but he definitely picked his fights, so I have no problem with him being left out. I wouldn't have Pacquiao there.

Hard to argue against the top 3. I would perhaps put Leonard in second. Hearns most likely beats most on the list, so I would include him.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

hazharrison wrote:http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-10-greatest-welterweights-of-all-time/

1. Robinson
2. Armstrong
3. Leonard
4. Napoles
5. Ross
6. Mayweather
7. Walcott
8. Griffith
9. Pacquiao
10. Lewis

Baffled how Mayweather and Pacquiao made this list (considering they didn't sort out who was the top dog until last year).

Off the top of my head I'd go with:

1. Robinson
2. Leonard
3. Armstrong
4. Gavilan
5. Burley
6. Ross
7. Napoles
8. Walcott
9. Griffith
10. Hearns

How does everyone else have it?

I'd have Floyd number 1 and Manny number 2.... Cool


Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by horizontalhero Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:11 am

Can't see either Floyd or Manny really deserve a top ten berth- Whittaker achieved more at WW than either of them, so if a relatively recent man breaks into the top ten I would go with him.

horizontalhero

Posts : 938
Join date : 2011-05-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:16 am

McGirt twice and a draw with Chavez..................

Do me a favor.......Lost to Oscar and Trinidad end of story..

Whittaker was a great lightweight and top 15 ATG though..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by Baby faced assassin Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:22 am

Think Pacquiao was at his best around featherweight, although the the didn't come till later he never seemed a proper/prime welterweight

Mayweather too imo his best wins were at 135, but he's more of a welterweight than manny imo

I'd have mayweather in around 8, pacquiao #10 I'm feeling super generous
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Posts : 264
Join date : 2015-12-05

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:23 am

If Floyd had of fought Pacquiao earlier and won, then he would definitely make any list.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:25 am

AdamT wrote:If Floyd had of fought Pacquiao earlier and won, then he would definitely make any list.

You've never heard of half the fighters on the list !!

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:27 am

With Floyd, you're talking only 12 fights (no Alvarez, Cotto or De la Hoya).

Pacquiao had about the same.

I'd have Tito Trinidad over those two at 147.

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:If Floyd had of fought Pacquiao earlier and won, then he would definitely make any list.

You've never heard of half the fighters on the list !!


Actually I have heard of most but didn't watch them. Most like you I guess.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by horizontalhero Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:McGirt twice and a draw with Chavez..................

Do me a favor.......Lost to Oscar and Trinidad end of story..

Whittaker was a great lightweight and top 15 ATG though..

Stood Chavez on his head and spun him, beat a future ATG in ODLH as far as I am concerned, gave a decent showing against Trinidad when his legs had gone.
Agree he was a nailed on LW ATG, but my point here is that neither Floyd or Manny deserve a spot in the top ten at WW, and if any WW since Leonard makes the top ten, then it is Whittaker, or Trinidad- who had proper reigns at the weight, not serial weight jumpers.

horizontalhero

Posts : 938
Join date : 2011-05-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:36 am

horizontalhero wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:McGirt twice and a draw with Chavez..................

Do me a favor.......Lost to Oscar and Trinidad end of story..

Whittaker was a great lightweight and top 15 ATG though..

Stood Chavez on his head and spun him, beat a future ATG in  ODLH as far as I am concerned, gave a decent showing against Trinidad when his legs had gone.
Agree he was a nailed on LW ATG, but my point here is that neither Floyd or Manny deserve a spot in the top ten at WW, and if any WW since Leonard makes the top ten, then it is Whittaker, or Trinidad- who had proper reigns at the weight, not serial weight jumpers.

Yep. Whitaker vs Chavez was the Floyd vs Pacquiao of the 90's. Only Pea and JCC actually got in there and fought when the fight still meant something. Chavez was probably a tad beyond his best (and never a welter), however, Whitaker deserves huge credit for facing him down (and chasing a rematch).

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

I doubt Whittaker was caught with an illegal I.V as well.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:39 am

AdamT wrote:I doubt Whittaker was caught with an illegal I.V as well.

Na. Just a bag of coke.

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:40 am

to be fair coke is recreational. The I.v was for more sinister reason.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:45 am

Dianabol was like candy in the 60s and 70s....

Where was the testing then ?? Cool ..

Honestly drugs is just a cheap shot to throw at boxers you don't like.....

Heaven forbid the "feral" Duran and others would go down such a road.....

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:47 am

It isn't the drugs I have an issue with. It is the blaming, the other guy and running from a fight, while you were using as well. Hypocrite.

I respect Floyd as a talented boxer, but since the IV business, I am definitely not a fan. I regret anytime I backed him.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:48 am

AdamT wrote:It isn't the drugs I have an issue with. It is the blaming, the other guy and running from a fight, while you were using as well. Hypocrite.

I respect Floyd as a talented boxer, but since the IV business, I am definitely not a fan. I regret anytime I backed him.

So Manny v May not happening was all Mayweather's fault........ok.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:49 am

I think so. He wanted the drug testing. It was all on until he demanded it.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:56 am

AdamT wrote:I think so. He wanted the drug testing. It was all on until he demanded it.

In fairness when you're 21 and fighting at flyweight and then you're beating the crap out of guys at 140/147.....

It should ring alarm bells.............

I can't quite picture Ricardo Lopez beating the crap out of Aaron Pryor..

Besides it wasn't the only problem..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40532
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:59 am

I agree but why was Floyd looking testing? Floyd grew a fair bit himself.

An honest question Truss. Floyd walks around at roughly 150 or 152. Why in the hell was an I.V in his arm?

I'm not saying Pac is clean. I just don't think the man accusing him was either.

I know money was a problem later on, but at that stage it was the random blood and urine testing that stopped the fight from happening.

Anyway we are going over old ground, so will have to agree to disagree.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time Empty Re: Boxing News: 10 Greatest Welterweights Of All Time

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum