The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January

+11
CraigS1874
highland_scot
Indyniall
TJ
VinceWLB
EWT Spoons
des
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
RDW
George Carlin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Empty Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:20 am

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Grenob10            Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Edinbu11 
FC Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby 
Saturday 23 January 2016
KO: 20:45
Stade des Alpes, Grenoble

Live on FR4 / BeIN Sports

Referee Greg Garner (England)
Touch Judge 1 Andrew Small (England)
Touch Judge 2 Roy Maybank (England)
TMO Geoff Warren (England)
Citing Commissioner Chris Catling (England)

A. Head to Head

1 Played 1
0 Wins 1
1 Losses 0
0 Draws 0
10 Points 28

B. Tournament Form

FC Grenoble
16/1/16: L Irish 18 - 28 Grenoble
18/12/15: Grenoble 48 - 45 Agen
10/12/15: Agen 20 - 40 Grenoble

Edinburgh Rugby 
15/1/16: Edinburgh 23 - 0 Agen
18/12/15: Edinburgh 18 - 15 L Irish
12/12/15: L Irish 38 - 6 Edinburgh

C. Teams

FC Grenoble
Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Nora10
15 Gio Aplon
14 Xavier Mignot
13 Chris Farrell
12 Nigel Hunt
11 Daniel Kilioni
10 Jonathan Wisniewski
9 Charl McLeod

1 Fabien Barcella
2 Arnaud Heguy
3 Dayna Edwards
4 Ben Hand
5 Peter Kimlin
6 Henry Vanderglas
7 Mahamadou Diaby
8 Rory Grice

16 loick Jammes
17 Sona Taumalolo
18 Rossouw De Kierk
19 James Percival
20 Fabien Alexandre
21 Christophe Loustalot
22 Gilles Bosch
23 Fabien Gengenbacher

Edinburgh Rugby 
Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Gail_p11
15 Greig Tonks
14 Damien Hoyland
13 Michael Allen
12 Matthew Scott
11 Will Helu
10 Phil Burleigh
9 Sam Hidelgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford
3 WP Nel
4 Anton Bresler
5 Ben Toolis
6 Mike Coman
7 John Hardie
8 Cornell Du Preez

16 Neil Cochrane
17 Allan Dell
18 Simon Berghan
19 Alex Toolis
20 Hamish Watson
21 Nathan Fowles
22 Andries Strauss
23 Douglas Fife

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Empty Re: Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:05 pm

Are you running out of good looking women from Edinburgh so having to use the same one over again?

Or is it just laziness?? Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January Empty Re: Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Are you running out of good looking women from Edinburgh so having to use the same one over again?

Anything is better than the pic of our less than easy on the eye First Minister that's besmirched the Scotland 6N forum

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Are you running out of good looking women from Edinburgh so having to use the same one over again?

Anything is better than the pic of our less than easy on the eye First Minister that's besmirched the Scotland 6N forum

Or a thread made by FES...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

You should know that Picasso was also greatly underestimated in his time.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

You should know that Picasso was also greatly underestimated in his time.

Your threads have more the Edvard Munch about them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

Sadly, it's the former. You have no idea how much I wish I was kidding about this.

If the team reps were always to come from France or Australia, I would be in clover.

I may just post a picture of Pia Miller as Scotland's rep throughout the entire 6N.

Could not give a crap if she's a Chilean-born Australian. She's amazing.

I said that out loud, didn't I?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 2:12 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Sadly, it's the former. You have no idea how much I wish I was kidding about this.

If the team reps were always to come from France or Australia, I would be in clover.

I may just post a picture of Pia Miller as Scotland's rep throughout the entire 6N.

Shocked

I would have absolutely no complaints. None.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:49 pm

Likewise. I think Solomons should replace Ben Atiga with Pia Miller as the Edinburgh rugby relocation expert. Pretty sure the standard of rugby player we'd attract would shoot through the roof. I suspect she eats less as well, so there's a catering saving right there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:53 pm

I’ve just noticed that Edinburgh don’t have a home game until 28th February!

After Grenoble there are 3 away games down in Wales against the Blues, Scarlets and Ospreys.

All of the games will be during the 6N window so hopefully we’ll manage to pick up a couple of wins to keep us in the hunt – will be tough though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:49 pm

I saw that as well. Typically enough I'm actually free for the next few weekends and could have gone!!

Our "6 Nations" team is actually pretty good (relatively speaking):

1.Dell 2.Cochrane 3.Berghan 4.Bresler 5.A Toolis 6.Coman(c) 7.Watson 8.Du Preez 9.Fowles 10.Tonks 11.Hoyland 12.Burleigh 13.Allan 14.Brown 15.Cuthbert

16.? 17.Turner 18.Andress 19.McKenzie 20.Bradbury 21.Kennedy 22.Kinghorn 23.Helu/Fife

We should do pretty well out of the games against those three Welsh sides, who will each lose some "World Class" players to Wales (plus of course Cotter has taken Barclay out of the Scarlets, which is nice).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:55 pm

Grant Shiells is our 4th choice loosehead, which isn't too bad a position to be in!

funnyExiledScot wrote:(plus of course Cotter has taken Barclay out of the Scarlets, which is nice).

Unless he doesn't get picked for Scotland (which could feasibly happen) and goes on the rampage to try and prove a point

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Grant Shiells is our 4th choice loosehead, which isn't too bad a position to be in!

funnyExiledScot wrote:(plus of course Cotter has taken Barclay out of the Scarlets, which is nice).

Unless he doesn't get picked for Scotland (which could feasibly happen) and goes on the rampage to try and prove a point

Of course - I had forgotten about him. He's vanished since joining Edinburgh, despite there being plenty of chat about him at Newcastle. Hopefully he'll get some games. We've seen from Alex Toolis this season that there are some talented players hiding away in the squad, and sometimes it just takes a run of games for them to come good.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jan 2016, 2:16 pm

Dell has been the biggest disappointment for me – he’s not done much wrong, and hasn’t really been given a regular chance, but I was expecting a bit more from a South African under 20 world cup winning captain!

He’s still young though and hopefully he’ll come good. He’s good enough to keep faith with though and let him continue his development.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:27 pm

I saw Dell come off the bench against Treviso and thought he was ok. I think he just needs a few starts, a bit like Berghan. I'd give them both a run over the 6 Nations.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Shocked

I would have absolutely no complaints.  None.
Scotland v England match thread is up. Very Happy

If anyone asks, she once ate a piece of shortbread which makes her immediately eligible to be team rep...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

Challenge Cup Pool 5: Grenoble v Edinburgh Rugby, 23 January CZUpQ_UWIAAV95r

Strong team - we're certainly going for this.

Bit of a worry to not see McInally in there given he's really needing gametime before the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:02 pm

As a side note, the ER social media person really is shocking - every time there is a news story or a team announcement the link either doesn't work or points to the wrong thing.

Today's team announcement story link takes you to the match report from the previous Grenoble game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:05 pm

And surprise suprise they delete the original tweet with the wrong link!

Anyway:

The fullback berth will be occupied this weekend by Greig Tonks who moves from stand-off while the centre pairing of Scotland-rostered Matt Scott and Michael Allen – a late withdrawal last week through illness – comes back into the mix. Meanwhile the wing combination of Damen Hoyland and Will Helu is retained.

In the half backs, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne – along with Scott, one of nine Edinburgh players selected for Scotland’s Six Nations squad – comes back into the team along with Phil Burleigh, who returns from injury, at scrum half and stand-off respectively.

The Scotland-selected front row of Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford and WP Nel return – the first two from injury – at loosehead, hooker and tighthead respectively while Ben Toolis, retained from Friday’s win, starts in the second row alongside Anton Bresler who is promoted from the bench.

Captain Mike Coman claims a starting spot at blindside while John Hardie returns at openside alongside Cornell Du Preez in the no 8 jersey, for an all-new back row.

Saturday’s match is a winner-takes-all contest between the two teams on 17 and 18 points respectively with Edinburgh currently sitting in 7th out of 8th available places to qualify for the quarter-finals. Harlequins, Gloucester and Dragons have already qualified with four points between the other five teams and all to play for.

Head coach Alan Solomons said: “We need to win this game to progress. We know it’s going to be tough, they’re a good side and they’re at home.

“There are some real threats in their squad, they have a lot of experience and we’re expecting a side that will really bring it to us in attack.

“Clearly we need to perform well on the day to get a result.”

Edinburgh Rugby v FC Grenoble, Saturday 23 January 2016, Stade Des Alpes, kick-off 8.45pm (local)
15 Greig Tonks

14 Damien Hoyland

13 Michael Allen

12 Matt Scott

11 Will Helu

10 Phil Burleigh

9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson

2 Ross Ford

3 WP Nel

4 Anton Bresler

5 Ben Toolis

6 Mick Coman (captain)

7 John Hardie

8 Cornell Du Preez

Replacements

16 Neil Cochrane

17 Allan Dell

18 Simon Berghan

19 Alex Toolis

20 Hamish Watson

21 Nathan Fowles

22 Andries Strauss

23 Dougie Fife

Players not considered due to injury: Jack Cuthbert (arm),Grant Gilchrist (groin), Nasi Manu (neck), Fraser McKenzie (neck), Jade Te Rure (knee).

McInally isn't listed as injured...

Pleased to see Fowles and Berghan on the bench over Kennedy and Andress.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

Very strong team. Glad there's no Kennedy after last week too.

Any idea if Tom Brown is still injured? Will Helu's been OK but Tom and Damien have definitely been our form wingers.

Is this game on BT?

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:08 pm

des wrote:Very strong team.  Glad there's no Kennedy after last week too.

Any idea if Tom Brown is still injured?  Will Helu's been OK but Tom and Damien have definitely been our form wingers.

Is this game on BT?

Brown isn't listed as injured either, and I agree I'd rather see him in there over Helu.

The game is not on TV outside of France apparently, which suggests it is on TV in France.

Which means there should be a link available for it somewhere! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:13 pm

It is a strong looking team and good to see Dickinson back ahead of the 6 nations.  Shame for McInally not to be involved, no idea why he's being left out, other than maybe just a rest given he started last week.  But that's a long shot.

Des, it's not being shown on BT, but Edinburgh have posted "the match is not televised outside of France" which makes me think there might be a stream of it somewhere.  Could be reading more into that than there really is, but fingers crossed.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
des wrote:Very strong team.  Glad there's no Kennedy after last week too.

Any idea if Tom Brown is still injured?  Will Helu's been OK but Tom and Damien have definitely been our form wingers.

Is this game on BT?

Brown isn't listed as injured either, and I agree I'd rather see him in there over Helu.

The game is not on TV outside of France apparently, which suggests it is on TV in France.

Which means there should be a link available for it somewhere! Very Happy

My thoughts exactly. Apparently it's being shown on FR4 / beIN Sports, so hopefully there will a steam.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

Doesn't seem to be a dodgy streaming site (mods feel free to delete this if it is) but here is a link to the channel that is potentially showing this game.

Edited - PM Spoons

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

I've had to remove the link Spoons, but will be in touch tomorrow if it is working for you!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:25 pm

Sorry, wasn't sure if it was or wasn't allowed. But happy to PM a link to anyone who wants it.

No idea if it'll work tomorrow, but I'm currently enjoying a French 'Lego Pirate' cartoon which is what the channel is supposed to be showing just now.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:29 pm

It probably is OK if you aren't on a dodgy streaming site but we can't risk it.

I wouldn't want the forum to be shut down because of an Edinburgh game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It probably is OK if you aren't on a dodgy streaming site but we can't risk it.

I wouldn't want the forum to be shut down because of an Edinburgh game!

Makes sense.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:11 pm

Strong team from Edinburgh, will be interesting to see how Rossouw De Klerk fare against the mighty Edinburgh scrum when he comes on in the 2nd half.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:23 pm

I actually recognise a few names on the Grenoble team sheet!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:33 pm

Anyone got a working link? Pm please

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by des Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

Same for me if possible. Ta.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm

found one des pm sent

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm

Come on Edinburgh.

Two personnel notes:

1. Gio Aplon plays for Grenoble! That's not bad.
2. Roussouw de Klerk plays for Grenoble. Er, if that's not Glasgow's Lolita-chaser, who is it?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:54 pm

Swinging arm? What is the TMO doing?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:57 pm

TJ wrote:found one des pm sent
Me too please squire.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 7:57 pm

I've got a link but it isn't great - can someone PM me?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:02 pm

I've got a link but little Internet signal. I managed to get it off to des. Or I could post it here quickly for someone to d
Copy and delete sadly I can't do pm's

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:02 pm

Got one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:03 pm

This one is good - anyone struggling let me know

(it was found on Google btw - the game is on France's Direct 4 channel

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:06 pm

How was that not a knock on?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:09 pm

Grenoble have a really nice wee stadium - makes me very jealous as an Edinburgh fan!

We're not getting to the rucks quick enough

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Indyniall Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:12 pm

My live stream keeps hanging, this is very frustrating given how close the game looks to be.

Indyniall

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:13 pm

Indyniall wrote:My live stream keeps hanging, this is very frustrating given how close the game looks to be.

As a welcome to the forum gift I'll PM you!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Indyniall wrote:My live stream keeps hanging, this is very frustrating given how close the game looks to be.

As a welcome to the forum gift I'll PM you!
Me too please Benevolent One.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:16 pm

Good controlled play from Edinburgh.

As always, strong in the set piece and maul but lacking the creativity to convert it to a try.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:21 pm

Grenoble try from a dubious deliberate knock on penalty

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:22 pm

How was the scrum that led to that try even a scrum? The French chose to run into their own player on the ground - totally their fault. Why penalise Edinburgh for it?

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:25 pm

highland_scot wrote:How was the scrum that led to that try even a scrum? The French chose to run into their own player on the ground - totally their fault. Why penalise Edinburgh for it?

They were in possession so they retain the ball. It is ridiculous the player went that way though!

Sneaky try from Edinburgh - Helu capitalising on a fumble

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:29 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:How was the scrum that led to that try even a scrum? The French chose to run into their own player on the ground - totally their fault. Why penalise Edinburgh for it?

They were in possession so they retain the ball. It is ridiculous the player went that way though!

Sneaky try from Edinburgh - Helu capitalising on a fumble

Seems daft - if you have possession, take ball into the maul and get held up - scrum against. Have the ball make a dodgy pass and your team drop it - scrum against. Run into your own player - scrum against. Yet if he's stationary on the floor and easy to avoid, somehow you get the advantage...

Anyway, good try. Half thought they'd pull it back because the ref tripped over or for the push on the blocking runner though.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next