The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2

+38
BigGee
George Carlin
PhilBB
wayne
exile jack
2ndtimeround
mikey_dragon
eirebilly
PenfroPete
LordDowlais
SirBurger
JmD
profitius
Artful_Dodger
BamBam
scrummy
johnnymonaghan
neilthom7
greygoose
RiscaGame
Rory_Gallagher
Redman
formerly known as Sam
RF09
Golden
Kingshu
rapidsnowman
Pete330v2
rodders
The Great Aukster
marty2086
geoff999rugby
carpet baboon
clivemcl
Don Alfonso
Marshes
toml
Notch
42 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2 - Page 9 Empty Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2

Post by Notch Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Continue your discussion of all things Ulster here.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2

Post by Redman Wed 17 Feb 2016, 3:10 am

Just to start a topic which is appearing on the other forum.

In my opinion Olding shouldn't be moved to 15. I've looked up the stats and it says he's 5'10 or 5'11. I find this very difficult to believe. But even if he is, that still makes him joint smallest of all the international full backs that are playing at the moment (tied with Halfpenny). Though his commitment is 110% he just doesn't give me that sort of confidence to both secure high ball AND then kick from hand effectively. It's all well and good running from deep and spotting space, which he can do no bother. But in big games you need that pressure release valve and security under aerial assault. 12 is his best position and let him fill in at 10 as needed. We can alternative with McCloskey as needs be.

We also need to future proof positions a bit, and in 5 years time I can see a lot of < 6 ft full backs struggle as heights increase. Thoughts?

Redman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 17 Feb 2016, 8:47 am

Olding is small for a 15 but probably even smaller for a 12. The argument against him defensively at full back applies at least equally against him at inside centre. Mike Brown or Leigh Halfpenny of similar stature do just fine at 15 under the high ball so why not Olding?

The question shouldn't really be about his size but rather where he is most effective for the team. It is his attacking prowess rather than defence that should be the determining factor. He is a footballer first and foremost, who has exceptional feet. Out half is the natural position for him and that is the position where he should concentrate on. Failing that fullback has to be next, because a lot of the kicking duties are interchangeable, and sometimes a player who can read the game gets the maximum opportunity to exploit defences from deep. Third on the list I'd have him at 13 where his burst of acceleration is more likely to take him clear more often than at 12.

Inside centre is primarily a defensive position either taking tackles or making them. Being able to offer a kicking option is good but usually also defensive - taken when the 10 hasn't enough time. The 12 also is used a lot as a decoy to draw defenders, which means that player has to play often without the ball. Olding is a player who should have the ball in space more often than not, so the clamour to play him at 12 is misguided.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

On hols at the moment but a few points of clarification.
Marshall,Cave,McCloskey and Olding are 100 percent Ulster players next year.

Looks like Scholes away

Also for all the talk about Nacforia (sp) have any players actual moved because of him between the three senior provinces.
I'm remain slightly sceptical we shall see

Will try to find out more onSunday at the match

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RF09 Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

Shame that Scholes & Arnold are on their way as young prospects, but getting pitch time then returning in a couple is a great idea for their careers. Wonder how the contracts are phrased in this respect:)
If thats the expense to keep all the other centres / wings... then next year will have some serious fire power, considering Coetzee and Piennar the link from the forwards...Suggest a plan to put that backline into much more action! (if we can get them on to the pitch at the same time Smile

Anyone fancy updating a full squad list for 2016/7, showing who is still here, who may yet leave and who is joining Smile

RF09

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:38 am

I've been guilty myself of throwing the 'go and get gametime and come back' line about. But when I sit back and think about it, it worries me. Money talks. It can even talk louder than childhood dreams and sentimentality. The likes of Scholes could become a key standout player at Edinburgh, and much sooner than he might get the chance at Ulster.

Scholes would most likely require a promise of starting lineup to return to us, and depending on how good he has been, we might find ourselves paying him a pretty penny to lure him back.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

Redman wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Chat on the other forum of Scholes going to Edinburgh. Can't say I blame him. Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy, Piutau all better wingers. Bowe should be bottom of that pile, except he's centrally contracted.

I guess I can't be annoyed at him wanting to go if true. Just hope he has ambitions to return once Bowe/Trimble are done. At least he doesn't have Scottish eligibility. (I hope!!)

I would have Scholes ahead of Bowe now. Shame if he goes, and it does look likely. Letting him go to Edinburgh might come back to bite us considering our form against them.

Bowe is a class act, but I fear for him a bit.  Glad he's started with the punditry work, which he was his usual charming best at during the weekend.  He has a long road back.  If the most recent injury doesn't cost him too much pace, his class will show out though.

If Scholes does sign for Edinburgh we'll know more about his, and Scottish Rugby's, intentions when we learn the length of the contract.  3 years and he could well be a project for them.  Less and he always has the chance to come back.  Still can't really believe the sheer number of backs we produce sometimes.  It really is a golden age for us at the moment in that department, and I know it's been mentioned before, but it must be something to do with the school system that produces them.  Maybe because it's easier for school backrowers to move to the backline?  I don't know, but we have a lot of athletes there at the minute.  Just need to make sure we maximise the skill levels.  

Bowe was a class act who was in his prime while with Ospreys. The problem with Bowe, before his latest injury, was that his body couldn't match his brain for speed. That's not going to change for the better now, and I seriously doubt Bowe has another season in him. Scholes is an exciting prospect with many years ahead of him, and is playing well for Ulster right now. With Piutau coming to Ulster, the talk is that Scholes wouldn't get game time because Piutau will play wing, but the very same can be said of Bowe. There's also the argument that it's good for Ulster that Scholes leaves, and returns a better player for Ulster, but there's no guarantee that he would return or, if he did, that we would have him in his prime (Wilson and Bowe).

Back to top Go down

Post by scrummy Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:11 pm

I agree with TGA that I'd like to see Olding at 13 where he could exploit some space. McCloskey/Marshall 12 - Olding 13 might be the way to go.

scrummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

Our best centre pairing has been with Marshall at outside centre though, and considering Marshall's history with concussion, that's where I would prefer him to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

Redman wrote:
In my opinion Olding shouldn't be moved to 15.  I've looked up the stats and it says he's 5'10 or 5'11.  I find this very difficult to believe.  But even if he is, that still makes him joint smallest of all the international full backs that are playing at the moment (tied with Halfpenny).  Though his commitment is 110% he just doesn't give me that sort of confidence to both secure high ball AND then kick from hand effectively.  It's all well and good running from deep and spotting space, which he can do no bother.  But in big games you need that pressure release valve and security under aerial assault.  12 is his best position and let him fill in at 10 as needed.  We can alternative with McCloskey as needs be.  

We also need to future proof positions a bit, and in 5 years time I can see a lot of < 6 ft full backs struggle as heights increase.  Thoughts?

Agree with this, except would change 12 to 13 where I think he is better suited.

Good points on Bowe by Munchkin - isn't Bowe on a central contract though?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:20 pm

scrummy wrote:I agree with TGA that I'd like to see Olding at 13 where he could exploit some space. McCloskey/Marshall 12 - Olding 13 might be the way to go.

I agree.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

Is Bowe still on contract at the end of this season? If he is then it's obvious why he stays, but that still shouldn't mean he is preferred to Scholes, in the pecking order, although cost is probably a major factor, having signed Coetzee and Piutau. Not that I'm complaining Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 17 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

RF09 wrote:Shame that Scholes & Arnold are on their way as young prospects, but getting pitch time then returning in a couple is a great idea for their careers. Wonder how the contracts are phrased in this respect:)
If thats the expense to keep all the other centres / wings... then next year will have some serious fire power, considering Coetzee and Piennar the link from the forwards...Suggest a plan to put that backline into much more action! (if we can get them on to the pitch at the same time Smile

Anyone fancy updating a full squad list for 2016/7, showing who is still here, who may yet leave and who is joining Smile

It seems my misgivings on page 3 about resigning Ludik have indeed come true regarding Scholes. Like Whitten, Seymour, Farrell, Allen and Arnold before him he saw his path blocked and decided to try his hand elsewhere. Unlike them however he has more of an X factor, and for me I would rather have had him learning under Piutau at Ulster as a 15 - once he goes away it will be very hard to get him back.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 17 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Olding is small for a 15 but probably even smaller for a 12. The argument against him defensively at full back applies at least equally against him at inside centre. Mike Brown or Leigh Halfpenny of similar stature do just fine at 15 under the high ball so why not Olding?

The question shouldn't really be about his size but rather where he is most effective for the team. It is his attacking prowess rather than defence that should be the determining factor. He is a footballer first and foremost, who has exceptional feet. Out half is the natural position for him and that is the position where he should concentrate on. Failing that fullback has to be next, because a lot of the kicking duties are interchangeable, and sometimes a player who can read the game gets the maximum opportunity to exploit defences from deep. Third on the list I'd have him at 13 where his burst of acceleration is more likely to take him clear more often than at 12.

Inside centre is primarily a defensive position either taking tackles or making them. Being able to offer a kicking option is good but usually also defensive - taken when the 10 hasn't enough time. The 12 also is used a lot as a decoy to draw defenders, which means that player has to play often without the ball. Olding is a player who should have the ball in space more often than not, so the clamour to play him at 12 is misguided.

It is hard to take you seriously when you say it is misguided to see Olding in his best position at 12 (I'm guessing you are including Les Kiss in the misguided category?) yet just before it you say that he would have the same problems defensively as he would at 15! They aren't even remotely similar in terms of what they will be dealing with defensively. Positioning, spatial awareness and ability under the high ball form the main defensive duties of a 15 and they generally do not make many tackles at all. At 12 things are much tighter and very rarely will you have to challenge in the air for the ball, which is good for somebody with a history of knee ligament damage. Not to mention the fact he is actually smaller than the small fullbacks you have already mentioned (height-wise) and he has shown no evidence that he is that effective under the high ball. I would say he is at least weaker than the other options at Ulster alone, and it is a rather important trait for a fullback to say the least.

Olding has proven he is defensively extremely robust (and at times dominant) and since his return he has already put in some memorable big tackles on men much bigger than himself. He had a history of this at school as well. It is also hard to fathom how anyone can claim that 12 is primarily a defensive position. Are the likes of Nonu, Roberts, Fofana, Giteau, De Allende etc selected primarily for their defence? For a start, you might be surprised at the missed tackle count for some of the listed players. Especially Nonu. If anything 13 is much more important in terms of defensive duties and the challenges it presents. Not to mention the fact that this only really applies to moves off the set piece anyway as after that the backline will be merged with the pack and the positions (in terms of their respective channels) aren't as relevant.

I would say that the 9-10-12 unit is the most important attacking pivot of any team. After the pack, this is where the space is created and where attacking moves stem from. It doesn't really matter how good your outside backs are if they aren't getting quick ball or the space to operate in. Stuart Olding is one of the best players I have ever seen at creating space for practically anyone. At 12 he will do this time and time again, especially outside Jackson and inside Payne. I think Les Kiss thinks so too.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Feb 2016, 11:18 pm

Defensively if olding is playing 12, a backrow could always be used to stop opposition ball carriers from charging into him. Or he could defend in a different position like the wing etc. There are ways to accommodate a great attacking talent.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:01 am

And ways that we should accommodate it. He's the best decision maker we have in the outside backs and the quickest thinker, maybe bar Payne. I would say he has the potential to go past Payne.

A player like that will be devastating with time on the ball of he's further from the scrum, but will create time, space and opportunities for others when he's bear the scrum.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:10 am

Just watching the Bryn Cunningham interview- two interesting fragments.

1) When Bryn saw Marcell Coetzee play against Ireland in 2014 he said "I want to sign this player for Ulster", he had been in the job all of 8 or 9 days at that point and this signing has been in the works since then.
2) He HAS negotiated with Nucifora that Ulster should be allowed an extra NIQ place
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:01 am

It sounds like our Bryn's the man. it's nice to know we're in good hands

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:16 am

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35600151

I like Bryn anyway, but what comes across is the sheer amount of planning and thought that he puts into his work at Ulster.

Also a touch of the D-Humph to him. Unapologetic about the extra NIQ for Ulster next season. He wanted to keep Ludik, he went to Nucifora and he made his argument.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:15 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Olding is small for a 15 but probably even smaller for a 12. The argument against him defensively at full back applies at least equally against him at inside centre. Mike Brown or Leigh Halfpenny of similar stature do just fine at 15 under the high ball so why not Olding?

It is hard to take you seriously when you say it is misguided to see Olding in his best position at 12 (I'm guessing you are including Les Kiss in the misguided category?) yet just before it you say that he would have the same problems defensively as he would at 15! They aren't even remotely similar in terms of what they will be dealing with defensively. Positioning, spatial awareness and ability under the high ball form the main defensive duties of a 15 and they generally do not make many tackles at all. At 12 things are much tighter and very rarely will you have to challenge in the air for the ball, which is good for somebody with a history of knee ligament damage. Not to mention the fact he is actually smaller than the small fullbacks you have already mentioned (height-wise) and he has shown no evidence that he is that effective under the high ball. I would say he is at least weaker than the other options at Ulster alone, and it is a rather important trait for a fullback to say the least.

Olding has proven he is defensively extremely robust (and at times dominant) and since his return he has already put in some memorable big tackles on men much bigger than himself. He had a history of this at school as well. It is also hard to fathom how anyone can claim that 12 is primarily a defensive position. Are the likes of Nonu, Roberts, Fofana, Giteau, De Allende etc selected primarily for their defence? For a start, you might be surprised at the missed tackle count for some of the listed players. Especially Nonu. If anything 13 is much more important in terms of defensive duties and the challenges it presents. Not to mention the fact that this only really applies to moves off the set piece anyway as after that the backline will be merged with the pack and the positions (in terms of their respective channels) aren't as relevant.

I would say that the 9-10-12 unit is the most important attacking pivot of any team. After the pack, this is where the space is created and where attacking moves stem from. It doesn't really matter how good your outside backs are if they aren't getting quick ball or the space to operate in. Stuart Olding is one of the best players I have ever seen at creating space for practically anyone. At 12 he will do this time and time again, especially outside Jackson and inside Payne. I think Les Kiss thinks so too.

Rory make it easy on yourself, don't take it seriously! My situation is hopeless - not serious.

The post read "the clamour to play him at 12 is misguided", meaning that there is a growing (albeit narrow) perception that he should play 12 and nowhere else. Yet in his career so far a series of coaches have picked him in various positions and Kiss continues to do so. The fact that Kiss has selected him elsewhere shows that perhaps his future at 12 is not so clear cut.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Redman Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm

I'm happy for Olding to play anywhere really, other than 15.

In other news.  Ulster have just announced Payne is staying!!!

I am extremely happy about this.  He's a classy, classy player.  Basically means the only people we'll be losing are Scholes and Arnold.

Redman

Back to top Go down

Post by Redman Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:30 pm

And it's an IRFU contract as well which helps.

Redman

Back to top Go down

Post by greygoose Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

Redman wrote:And it's an IRFU contract as well which helps.  

Puts to bed the speculation that they'd move him to Leinster. Still expecting to be forced to handover an outside back in return for the supposed acquisition of a Leinster back row.

greygoose

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:31 pm

Redman wrote:I'm happy for Olding to play anywhere really, other than 15.

Olding looked good at 15 against Glasgow, has the ability out of hand to play a kicking game and has it to play a counter attacking running game

if things continue as they are a back 3 of him Gilroy and Piutau with McCloskey and Marshall in the centres and Pienaar and Jackson at half back that's an exciting prospect for me and that's just during international windows

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 18 Feb 2016, 6:17 pm

Omitting our over 30s, look at the age profile of this backline! Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2 - Page 9 1347041234

9 Shanahan (23)
10 Jackson (24)
11 Gilroy (24)
12 McCloskey (23)
13 Marshall (24)
14 Piutau (24)
15 Olding (22)

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 18 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

clivemcl wrote:Omitting our over 30s, look at the age profile of this backline!   Ulster 2015/2016 Part 2 - Page 9 1347041234

9 Shanahan (23)
10 Jackson (24)
11 Gilroy (24)
12 McCloskey (23)
13 Marshall (24)
14 Piutau (24)
15 Olding (22)

How's shanahan looking? Not seen much of him.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 18 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm

Our best backline next season will look like:

9) Pienaar
10) Jackson
11) Gilroy
12) Olding
13) Payne
14) Trimble
15) Piatau

I honestly do not know where McCloskey, Marshall, Cave, Bowe, Ludik or Nelson fit in. A real embarrassment of riches. To think that some of these guys will be playing for the Ravens next season is just insane.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Redman wrote:I'm happy for Olding to play anywhere really, other than 15.

Olding looked good at 15 against Glasgow, has the ability out of hand to play a kicking game and has it to play a counter attacking running game

if things continue as they are a back 3 of him Gilroy and Piutau with McCloskey and Marshall in the centres and Pienaar and Jackson at half back that's an exciting prospect for me and that's just during international windows

Agree, except Joe is going to wake up at some point and a few o them will be in the Ireland team

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:00 pm

Next year with everyone fit, I would select something like:

(15-1) Payne, Trimble, Marshall, Olding, Piatau, Jackson, Pienaar, Coetzee, Henry, Henderson, Van der Merwe, O'Connor, Herbst, Best, McCall

Bench: Herring, Black, Ah You, Tuohy, Diack, Shanahan, McCloskey, Gilroy

Very tasty options in the backline, some real quality players that can rotate in and out. I have to commend Bryn et al, they're done everything they needed to do for next season. The future looks bright.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm

That's a powerful team. I would love to see that, but IRFU might have something to say about Payne at 15. Hopefully Schmidt moves Payne to 15 though, and solves two issues in one go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:31 am

I can't see Jared Payne playing much at 15 with Piatau coming in and Ludik being retained.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Feb 2016, 1:14 am

You're probably right, Rory, but my thinking was that if Schmidt moves him to 15 then maybe he will be encouraged to play 15 at Ulster. Signing Piutau does make that much less likely though.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:23 am

Logan has already said that Ulster need two teams of test players. The European experience has shown that Ulster need two teams of test players, because the opposition teams have that depth. The mindset of having a clear first XV cannot apply when a player could play 30+ games a season if they played them all. Every game a player should be playing for his place and that means spreading the opportunities.

Eddie O'Sullivan's Ireland proved that having a first team untouchable mentality is unsustainable. Too often Ulster 'first teamers' have togged out looking disinterested and under no pressure for their place in fixtures where they've expected the opposition to roll over.

The challenge for the DoR is to have two players competing for every position who are interchangeable so that the team can still be competitive when injuries strike. That means Piutau competing for his place in the back three just as much as say Stockdale competing to be bench cover during the 6N.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:26 am

Having the likes of Piatau and Payne to rotate through the 15 position is one lovely luxury. Obviously Payne will be employed more at 13 if the IRFU stick to their guns but I see him in the 15 shirt more often with Piatau on the wing.

This is probably BS but who cares, it's Friday.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:14 am

JmD wrote:Next year with everyone fit, I would select something like:

(15-1) Payne, Trimble, Marshall, Olding, Piatau, Jackson, Pienaar, Coetzee, Henry, Henderson, Van der Merwe, O'Connor, Herbst, Best, McCall

Bench: Herring, Black, Ah You, Tuohy, Diack, Shanahan, McCloskey, Gilroy

Very tasty options in the backline, some real quality players that can rotate in and out. I have to commend Bryn et al, they're done everything they needed to do for next season. The future looks bright.

Hmmm. We should see if Robbie Henshaw will come to us instead of Leinster. Sure they've got Dave Kearney and Garry Ringrose.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Redman Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

I missed that game. Was he put under much pressure? I just think at fullback there are certain physical requirements which you can't overcome if you're small and he's one of the smallest players I've seen play fullback. You can mitigate it, but at the very top level you'll get found out and I don't see any point in him concentrating in a position which he has a lower potential ceiling at compared to 12 .... or 13 as some have mentioned.

If he plays 15 long term I can't see him competing for highballs against Folau or against the next generation of international fullback. I see that problem getting worse, not better as the game moves on over the next few years and he should pick a position which he can stick with for life. We don't want him to go the way of Paddy Wallace and shunt him around all over the place whenever we feel we've got a better option. We also don't want Olding plateauing as a Pro12 or ECC full back, when he could be an international centre.

Also from what I've seen of Oldings kicking, both from hand and from the tee, he shanks a good few balls. That may improve with practice, but again to stress that kills teams at an international level and we want him to be a full international.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, and I'd be delighted if I was proven wrong. As Geoff says, Ireland sees fullback as a problem position for them going forward. Who knows, maybe he can the Shane Williams of international fullbacks.

Redman

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

Piutau and Coetzee are genuinely world class. Personally, as an outsider, I think it would be a shame if they weren't played in their best positions.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:42 am

SirBurger wrote:Piutau and Coetzee are genuinely world class. Personally, as an outsider, I think it would be a shame if they weren't played in their best positions.

What is Piutaus best position? He looks unstoppable at times playing 15 for Wasps but I think most of his AB caps came on the wing and the same with the Blues but he looks just as good there. In the centre he doesn't look as dangerous

From the interview Bryn gave to the BBC this week it would seem their versatility is one of the factors in bringing them in along with their age and quality

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

Think Piutau is a full back first, a wing second and an emergency centre

I'd play Coetzee at blindside personally, but he can probably play any position in the back row

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

BamBam wrote:Think Piutau is a full back first, a wing second and an emergency centre

I'd play Coetzee at blindside personally, but he can probably play any position in the back row

When the signing was announced Kiss said:

“He has played most of his international rugby between six and seven, but he has also played a huge amount at number eight, where we feel he could have a big impact for Ulster."

I think Kiss is planning on primarily using him at 8, ideally with Henderson at 6 in big European or knockout games. Hopefully even if the IRFU want Henderson playing a lot at lock we can have him at 6 for big games.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri 19 Feb 2016, 11:43 am

I was reading an article on Henderson, saying they thought the scrums and donkey work he has to do at lock drains the explosive power from his legs, neutralising his main strength his carrying.
With Ireland so dreadfully short of players who can punch a hole surely they need this. Stick him at 8 he can be explosive off the scrum and we can keep coetzee on the flank

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm

Scarlets team to take on Ulster on Sunday 21st February, kick-off 2.30pm, at Kingspan Stadium;

15 Michael Collins, 14 Gareth Owen, 13 Regan King, 12 Hadleigh Parkes ©, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Phil John, 2 Kirby Myhill, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 George Earle, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Rhodri Jones, Maselino Paulino, Rory Pitman, Rhodri Williams, Dan Jones, Steffan Evans

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:14 pm

Ulster team and replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Sunday 21st February, 2.30pm:

(15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, J Stockdale, P Jackson (captain), P Marshall;
(1-8): A Warwick, J Andrew, R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, R Diack, C Henry, R Wilson;

Replacements (16-23): J Murphy, K McCall, B Ross, P Browne, C Ross, R Pienaar, I Humphreys, S Arnold.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm

I know lots of people are saying McCloskey isn't getting a look in for Ireland, but I think it's telling he hasn't been involved with Ulster for the last few games. Normally thats because he's either not been released or because he's been spending all his time in the Ireland training camp so he's not au fait with the Ulster calls.

Right now Payne is in a race to be fit and I think if Payne isn't fit McCloskey might start. If Payne is fit, I doubt Schmidt will change it. But I'm expecting McCloskey to get his first cap before the end of the Six Nations.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:22 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Ulster team and replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Sunday 21st February, 2.30pm:

(15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, D Cave, L Marshall, J Stockdale, P Jackson (captain), P Marshall;
(1-8): A Warwick, J Andrew, R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, R Diack, C Henry, R Wilson;

Replacements (16-23): J Murphy, K McCall, B Ross, P Browne, C Ross, R Pienaar, I Humphreys, S Arnold.

I expected Ludik back, surprised Pienaar is there at all, and no Williams or McCloskey, but should be enough to get the win.

Edit: Can't believe I missed Jackson as captain! Hope it goes well for him. Also missed the fact that Herring is absent...

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:53 pm

I take it Pienaars had to sit out training most of the week but shown no ill effects from the knee to the head

Good to see Jakson as captain, that's huge when you have guys like Franco, Diack, Henry and Cave in there. Shows how important he is to the team and role he plays

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 19 Feb 2016, 1:00 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Ulster team and replacements to play Scarlets, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Sunday 21st February, 2.30pm:

Quite weak front row. Bit concerned this might blow up in our faces. Always am, though.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Feb 2016, 1:16 pm

I just feel better in that we've got Jackson for 60, 70, 80 minutes not 40. Thats huge. He's been coming off the bench and pulling us through games we could be losing since the New Year began.

Captain is a very natural role for him and one that he will excel at.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Feb 2016, 2:03 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

Quite weak front row. Bit concerned this might blow up in our faces. Always am, though.

We keep playing like we have in our last two or three games someone is going to come and do a number on us thats for sure. Scarlets will have looked at the mistakes we made in those matches, and the inaccuracy and won't have any fear of coming to Ravenhill.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 19 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

Notch wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:

We keep playing like we have in our last two or three games someone is going to come and do a number on us thats for sure. Scarlets will have looked at the mistakes we made in those matches, and the inaccuracy and won't have any fear of coming to Ravenhill.

I wish Munster were playing that bad! Very Happy To be fair Notch, they were cutting Glasgow to ribbons but were just a bit sloppy at finishing them off.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

Thats true- I was very frustrated at the time but it's important I don't lose sight of us being dangerous in attack. We're creating chances and getting to the right parts of the field. Just need to cut out the erros.

The thing is, I feel like we're 5% off giving someone an absolute hiding at Ravenhill and 5% off losing games we should win easily. When we played the Dragons I went from thinking "we should be wrapping up the try bonus point from here" to 'Oh God, we're going to lose' within the span of about two minutes (and one TMO decision). It can be stressful to watch...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next