The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title".

+39
dublfcynwa
Herman Jaeger
TwisT
EX7EY
AdamT
huw
Atila
JohnPrescottsJab
BoxingFan88
Hands Of Stone
Mr Bounce
Jermaine2015
AZZJ44
jon200
DuransHorse
milkyboy
md_fan
catchweight
3fingers
kingraf
shenglong2015
Knowsit17
Coxy001
spencerclarke
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
Kareem61
hogey
Rodney
ONETWOFOREVER
Nico the gman
Pedro147
owen10ozzy
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
Dipper Brown
ShahenshahG
hazharrison
JabMachineMK2
43 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title". - Page 2 Empty Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title".

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

https://twitter.com/AmirKingKhan/status/694566161271427072

Erm....doesn't Canelo hold the 160lb title?

Khan is going to get absolutely SPLATTERED here. There is literally no way he can win. Canelo can take a dig so Khans gonna have zero chance of a KO and lets face it, Alvarez will hit him, hard.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title". - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title".

Post by kingraf Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 pm

If Khan had a chin you'd give him a decent chance at beating Canelo. Cotto went 12 with Canelo, so did Lara. Floyd barely got touched. Other than getting dropped I don't think Trout was ever in serious trouble. On the positive for Khan is that he's leagues above Canelo in hand speed. He's also taller than Canelo and probably a little craftier too.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a chin and as such he's gonna get bodied
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title". - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan to fight Alvarez for "155lb title".

Post by 3fingers Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Give Alvarez a chance to grow into the weight.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Give me a break Canelo. Fight someone your own size for a change. Lets see how good you are without the weight advantages.

You would think this fight would remove question marks over Khans desire for a huge fight or stones to take on a dangerous puncher. Evidently not though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Odds on Mayweather fighting the winner?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 pm

low odds, if khan won. if canelo wins, then that means nothing for floyd, he's been there & done that.

actually see khan giving it a real good go. will be way to quick for the slow as a snail canelo, will be in/out all night, but im guessing canelo will catch khan at one point & it will probably end in tears.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Pretty sure if he was so slow Manny would've fancied a go.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Canelo is a crafty puncher though and only needs to tag Khan a few times you would think, over 12 rounds I can't see Khan surviving. Does anyone think if Khan won it would be up there with Turpin over Robbo considering the jump in weight etc? In terms of one of the biggest British achievements, it would definitely be one of the top in modern times no? Honeyghan over Curry sort of area?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 pm

It'd be akin to Eddie the Eagle having actually won Olympic gold. History says he didn't and if I had to be on either Khan winning or Eddie winning gold prior to the events I'd back Eddie.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:31 pm

Brave move for Khan. No one had this on their radar. Hope it works out for him (financially if nothing else). Floyd showed how to beat Canelo but I can't see Khan being successful with a similar strategy.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 pm

See you know as much about ski-jumping as you do boxing coxy Wink

So brook ducking, puncher avoider chicken liver Khan shows some nads and still gets jip. No pleasing some.

It's hard to see Khan staying out of trouble for long enough here, he's no slippery defensive genius...but great that he's having a go. Be interesting to see what weight he comes in at and how he handles it. Canelo looks better against guys who come to him, stylistically Khan matches up ok, he's just up against it sizewise.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Canelo is a crafty puncher though and only needs to tag Khan a few times you would think, over 12 rounds I can't see Khan surviving. Does anyone think if Khan won it would be up there with Turpin over Robbo considering the jump in weight etc? In terms of one of the biggest British achievements, it would definitely be one of the top in modern times no? Honeyghan over Curry sort of area?

Are you still tired of Khan, Alex Very Happy

Last edited by milkyboy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 pm

If I were GGG I'd take the p1ss out of Canelo by calling out Rigo and stating he's the biggest threat at 160.

It's a meaningful fight but can't help but think it''s far safer for Khan's reputation than the Brook fight. He can lose this without really looking bad or losing bragging rights at all.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by jon200 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:04 pm

What makes me laugh is people like Ryan Rhodes coming out and saying that Khan is fighting Canelo was a way of not fighting Brook. Canelo would wipe the floor with Brook as he probably will Khan.

Personally I hope Khan pulls off the unlikely and gets the job done.

jon200

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 pm

How can you not give Khan credit for this? Brook doesn't even come in to the equation as it's a much tougher fight than Brook at a heavier weight against a better boxer that punches harder.

Wtf is wrong with some of you.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

I don't want to see him take a fight he'll lose against Alvarez, I want to see him fight Brook it's that simple.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm

As people are finally cottoning on to... The brook fight is always there for Khan. But you can hardly have a go at him for taking this fight. Anyone who thinks he's taking the money for a fall is wide of the mark.

He'll think he can win.

He's not the sharpest tool obviously...

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 pm

He doesn't think he'll win Milky, he chases whoever is the money man; first it was Mayweather, then Pacquiao and now it's Alvarez. It's great news for Brook knowing his chances of victory have just gone up massively.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by jon200 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Agree with AZZJ44. This is the most difficult fight Khan could have taken. He has always said he wants to fight the best and is backing it up while Brook makes silly voluntary defences against bums like Gavin.

jon200

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Gavin isn't world class but he definitely is not a bum.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Kudos to Khan for taking this fight, it seems VERY unlikely he can win but good on him for taking the challenge.

Depending on the purse he makes from this fight, it could be his farewell fight. Wouldn't be surprised if this bout surpasses whatever Hearn was offering to fight prospect Brook. I really hope Khan doesn't lower himself to fight a nobody like Brook, who without Khan will continue fighting bums for crap purses.

For those crying about Canelo fighting at 155 and being the lineal middleweight champion, middleweight is from 155-160 so he's well within his rights to fight at 155.

Maybe when Golovkin fights someone with a pulse, then he can cry about Canelo.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Internet hard man Coxy? I don't recall threatening you or anyone else for that matter or at any point insinuating that I am "hard".

That word would be more apt to describe you when reading a BNP manifesto with your dick in your hand. You will now be joining AdamT on my for list.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 pm

The money men also happen to be the best fighters hammy. Well except when its Chavez junior. What part of Junior did Froch find so attractive?

Khan has a huge ego and perhaps misguided self belief. With the money he already has, I don't believe he wants to be laid out on the canvas for some extra dollars on his cheque.

But the only guy who knows the answer to that is Khan himself.

Whichever, You can't dump on the guy for taking the Canelo fight. Well some think you can obviously!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

To be honest Milky I think he's scared of losing to Brook so will fight anybody else he can, whether it's Alvarez, Pacquiao or Mayweather he can excuse those losses but Brook he wouldn't be able to and it would destroy his self belief.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:43 pm

That's not impossible... Certainly more pressure fighting a 'local rival' than as an underdog against a huge name. But from a financial risk perspective he's taking the right fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:43 pm

I just want to see if Khan wins, will he step up to fight GGG?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 pm

I don't bemoan Khan going for the money but as a fan I want to see him fight Brook now before he's potentially damaged goods.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I  just want to see if Khan wins, will he step up to fight GGG?

No doubt. Anything to avoid Kell Brook.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Laugh Bounce if he does that, someone will put him in broadmoor

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 pm

If he unifies at middle and then moves up to super some on here will say it's to avoid Brook.

You're deluded by the sky hype machine if you think this fight is anything to do with Brook.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 pm

How the hell they keep this under the radar

Either way fair play to Khan he doesn't lose anything really as he's expected to be splattered but its brave to go in with someone that big and that strong and most likely take a beating

I think Khan is quick and good enough and Canelo ponderous and lazy enough that after 5 rounds he could actually be winning but once Canelo warms up and starts landing its all going to be a one sided battering tbh

Cotto's power at MW may have been manufactured but he hits harder than khan and cotto's punches barely made Canelo blink what does khan have to worry canelo. On the other hand Canelo shakes up almost everyone he's hit and Khan was visibly shaken a couple times by the light punching lww in Algieri

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

He has absolutely no chance in this fight, If Algieri can walk him down then you think Alvarez won't be able to???

Alvarez is going to annihilate him, he has absolutely no chance, its a pay out fight

He will probably want Brook after he loses the fight though.

Ridiculous fight, I can't believe its happening, trust me Khan gets smashed and in double quick time, you thought the Kirkland KO was bad....

This doesn't even border on Brave anymore, its ludicrous, he has just as much chance beating Froch as he does Canelo, absolutely NONE

He fought at Welterweight but only actually fought ONE natural welterweight, Canelo comes into the ring as a Light Heavyweight

I genuinely fear for his safety, is he that stupid?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Hands Of Stone wrote:How the hell they keep this under the radar

Either way fair play to Khan he doesn't lose anything really as he's expected to be splattered  but its brave to go in with someone that big and that strong and most likely take a beating

I think Khan is quick and good enough and Canelo ponderous and lazy enough that after 5 rounds he could actually be winning but once Canelo warms up and starts landing its all going to be a one sided battering tbh

Cotto's power at MW may have been manufactured but he hits harder than khan and cotto's punches barely made Canelo blink what does khan have to worry canelo. On the other hand Canelo shakes up almost everyone he's hit and Khan was visibly shaken a couple times by the light punching lww in Algieri

What is Khan going to do after the ambush though, so he jumps in the pocket, attacks then gets out, but what does he do after that? Run around the ring, if he gets pinned on the ropes its all over

He has NO defence, this is such an easy fight, its ridiculous

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
I genuinely fear for his safety, is he that stupid?

Yea........it's Khan

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 pm

I wouldn't argue that this is physically the toughest and best paid test Khan could have realistically taken. I also think Khan probably fancies that his speed can win it for him. It doesn't mean he's taking on the challenge he finds most daunting though. It's a bit like Froch with Groves, he knew deep down he could beat him but I think he'd have rather faced someone else. That local rivalry can be more daunting than bigger challenges.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:10 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:

Either way fair play to Khan he doesn't lose anything really as he's expected to be splattered  but its brave to go in with someone that big and that strong and most likely take a beating

What is Khan going to do after the ambush though, so he jumps in the pocket, attacks then gets out, but what does he do after that? Run around the ring, if he gets pinned on the ropes its all over

Watch Canelo vs Cotto, Canelo fights at whatever pace he wants whenever he wants he knows he'll take out khan when he lands so he's not gonna rush anything so yea khan can last a little while, as long as canelo wants

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Hands Of Stone wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Watch Canelo vs Cotto, Canelo fights at whatever pace he wants whenever he wants he knows he'll take out khan when he lands so he's not gonna rush anything so yea khan can last a little while, as long as canelo wants

But Cotto has good footwork and moves his head

If Canelo wants to carry him a few rounds he might last, if Canelo decides to walk him down its all over

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:18 pm

What is it with the weight? Surely it's just his chin we are talking of because Mayweather was a much smaller fighter than Amir yet stepped all the way up to 152... 3lbs is obviously a big difference but being that Khan is naturally bigger that difference should be easier for him anyhow.

Everyone is saying how Canelo will splatter Khan...and I do think Canelo wins by stoppage....however plenty (and by plenty I mean 70 odd percent) were saying Canelo was just to big for Floyd, even with the catch weight stipulation thrown in. Plenty had egg on their face that night.

Think if people are going to make a point about Khan being hammered then it's the issue of chin that needs to be mentioned...nothing to do with weight!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Everyone is saying how Canelo will splatter Khan...and I do think Canelo wins by stoppage....however plenty (and by plenty I mean 70 odd percent) were saying Canelo was just to big for Floyd, even with the catch weight stipulation thrown in. Plenty had egg on their face that night.

More like about 5% Ozzy, it was seen as the best fight out there for Mayweather but one he'd win comfortably enough because of his speed and far superior ability.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:Everyone is saying how Canelo will splatter Khan...and I do think Canelo wins by stoppage....however plenty (and by plenty I mean 70 odd percent) were saying Canelo was just to big for Floyd, even with the catch weight stipulation thrown in. Plenty had egg on their face that night.

More like about 5% Ozzy, it was seen as the best fight out there for Mayweather but one he'd win comfortably enough because of his speed and far superior ability.

Absolutely and Mayweather is a much better fighter, better defence, better chin, faster reflexes

Mayweather is streets ahead of him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Difference is Mayweather is the best defensive fighter of his generation maybe even ever and Khan is famous for taking too many clean shots from ordinary fighters

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:26 pm

The bookies are opening with giving a Khan a decent shot at it. Between 7/4 and 2/1. Nothing like a mismatch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:27 pm

The bookies don't have a clue then.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm

You dont have a clue Hammersmith Harrier

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Not a chance Hammersmith! I'll have to trawl through the threads because I'm extremely doubtful that so few wrote off Mayweather as good as he was!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:23 am

Money has to be with Canelo late stoppage 6-8. Khan is a class act when he is on form very quick good boxing abilities.

His heart of all things let him down....along with his chin.

If he stays away, keeps his speed and carries the extra weight well in his big frame, he could handle it for a bit.

My concern is that if he wins he becomes the MW champion....and will then have a rather large Kazakhstan shark lurking behind him everywhere he turns....now that would be a brutality.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 am

I actually hope he wins....because at least then we will actually get a showdown between two top middleweights Wink

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 am

Like many this caught me off guard and I still can't believe it's happening. Smart move booking it for Cinco De Mayo. Khans obsession with Floyd has not ended and he still holds a candle for him! Imitation is the highest form of flattery and all that. Is this going to be PPV? Just wondering how much it will cost to see Khan do the old chicken legs. Bound to make a lot of dosh for the fight. Maybe he can make a couple of quid more with an advertising deal from a sponsor to feature on his soles for when he is lying on his back.

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 am

Like all of you guys I was surprised when I first read about this fight. WOW!

Let me say first of all that I'd Kevin Keegan love it if Khan were to win this. As much as I actually don't think he's going to win I'll be watching this fight live, I'll make sure of that.

However, isn't Canelo a poor middleweight champ for picking a fight with Khan and for doing it at a catchweight? I know middleweights have fought welterweights before but Khan hasn't even been a welterweight champion.

I don't rate Canelo as highly as some of you but I can't see him losing this. I hope I'm wrong though.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:47 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:

I think what most said was that Canelo was just bigger than Floydd... ie, his only chance of winning was his size
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 am

So Khan fights the best fighter around his weight and gets grief....

This is a very brave move from Khan and any criticism should be directed at Canelo.

That being said Khan has the speed to trouble Canelo as long as he has worked a lot on his footwork. If he can time his moves forward and try to land with no more than 1-2 punches before getting on his bike the speed could keep him out of danger.

Just think Khan will need to show more than he ever has before with both footwork and ring intelligence, hopefully he's been working on this whilst he's not been active.

As has been pointed out though, it'll only take 1-2 clean shots from Canelo and you would expect Khan to struggle.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next