The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+23
Blueschief
dragon999
Steffan
2ndtimeround
Tattie Scones RRN
ScarletSpiderman
George Carlin
LordDowlais
geoff999rugby
thebandwagonsociety
RubyGuby
GavinDragon
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
munkian
Dolphin Ziggler
Cardiff Dave
bedfordwelsh
PhilBB
RiscaGame
wayne
Stone Motif
Luckless Pedestrian
27 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 8 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 10 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

With Warburton, I can only conclude that they like him as captain because of how he deals with referees. He's very respectful towards them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by GavinDragon Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

RiscaGame wrote:Have they been good to him? They've messed him about a fair bit, trying to cater for TGFHTEFTGVSDW. Turn the game round v London Welsh last season and then drop him. Played him with Luc a fair bit last season, which didn't seem to happen with Dorian. The overhyping of Dorian in the press. Personally I believe Lyn tried throwing him under a bus too, when he started Tovey out in France v Slade and Pau. I could probably go on.

+1

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:42 am

Steffan wrote:This article was written by someone from the Dragons region

https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/pontypridd-v-merthyr-yet-more-troubling-wru-pyramidal-questions-in-east-glamorgan/

Any chance one of you Gwent boys can have a look at what your guy is saying here? While it is well written, I am struggling to get the overall point that the author is trying to make. It was a heavy weekend and I'm also suffering from the flu so not quite with it

Cheers in advance OK

He does quite a few of these. Basically his overiding argument is that for domestic rugby to thrive commercially we need to have four, fully representative, regions without named links to previous clubs.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 8:39 am

Here's an interesting article from WOL. Yes I know a lot of you do not like this paper, but Andy Howell makes some good points. Getting rid of the gruesome twosome and putting Jason Strange in charge could be seen as a positive move. Anyway, if you feel up to it take a read:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/newport-gwent-dragons-malaise-cant-11137983

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 12:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Here's an interesting article from WOL. Yes I know a lot of you do not like this paper, but Andy Howell makes some good points. Getting rid of the gruesome twosome and putting Jason Strange in charge could be seen as a positive move. Anyway, if you feel up to it take a read:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/newport-gwent-dragons-malaise-cant-11137983
Nothing new in this article for me really. Just told us what we all ready...the Dragons are crap and only a new coaching staff can change that. Howell suggests the WRU take fully over but then admits it is not a possibility. He says that "the decision to recruit 33-year-old utility back Macleod looks crazy." Who the hell were they going to sign instead then? There is hardly a queue of decent players looking to join the men of Gwent

Howell and a few of the people who comment below have also gone for the "Drop the word Newport and they will get 10,000 supporters every week, sponsors will want to pump in millions and the Dragons will be a decent team for once in their life" suggestion...yeah because doing that is really going to change everything isn't it. Typical gutter journalism form WOL telling us nothing new about a team which lives in the Pro 12 gutter. Be interesting to see what the Stuart Davies plan comes up with though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm

I certainly see Jason Strange having a good coaching career, but I think it might be a bit too soon. Let's see what him and the U20s do at the JWC first. I also agree on Nic McLeod, like I said earlier I would have kept hold of Tovey - interesting that he put in a MOTM performance for Edinburgh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

Steffan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Here's an interesting article from WOL. Yes I know a lot of you do not like this paper, but Andy Howell makes some good points. Getting rid of the gruesome twosome and putting Jason Strange in charge could be seen as a positive move. Anyway, if you feel up to it take a read:-

Nothing new in this article for me really. Just told us what we all ready...the Dragons are crap and only a new coaching staff can change that. Howell suggests the WRU take fully over but then admits it is not a possibility. He says that "the decision to recruit 33-year-old utility back Macleod looks crazy." Who the hell were they going to sign instead then? There is hardly a queue of decent players looking to join the men of Gwent

Howell and a few of the people who comment below have also gone for the "Drop the word Newport and they will get 10,000 supporters every week, sponsors will want to pump in millions and the Dragons will be a decent team for once in their life" suggestion...yeah because doing that is really going to change everything isn't it. Typical gutter journalism form WOL telling us nothing new about a team which lives in the Pro 12 gutter. Be interesting to see what the Stuart Davies plan comes up with though

That is the interesting thing for me. Will it be all smoke and mirrors, or will there be a tangible plan with actions to take coming from it. Will it be radical and show strong leadership? Will it make the organisation more professional on and off the field? Improve coaching standards, improve squad depth so that we may turn some of these LBP's into victories, retain our stronger players and actually start aiming to amount to something....

.....I won't get my hopes up.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 2:01 pm

It's a tricky one to put the finger on, for me. It's easy to say 'change the coaches' but each and every time we get new coaches we seem to get the same end result. There's a period of optimism, the coaches bring some players that they have contact with elsewhere and things are looking up, but in the end we're down the wrong end of the table. The only coach that had some success (relatively, in terms of league placing) was Mike Ruddock in the first year when we finished 2nd/3rd and I believe much of that was probably due to inheriting some decent pros from the club game and others left without a contract elsewhere. Why did we decline so badly after that? As much as I think Lyn (mainly) and Kings are struggling I do not believe they are bad coaches. In fact, I was always a fan of Lyn at the Ospreys. Without looking it up I believe he won the league and got to the knockouts of Europe a few times (can anyone confirm?). Assuming then that he hasn't deteriorated as a coach over time, the obvious conclusion is that he just had much better players to work with at the O's. Which is stating the obvious. So as much as we say 'bring in new coaches' it is perhaps the board we need to look to to bring in the quality of player that these coaches can do something with, as they have done with previous sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 2:29 pm

Agree with you there Griff. It's ok changing coaches...but if in 3 years time you are still floating at the bottom of the Pro 12 ocean with only some Italian team propping you up...where is the blame going to be put then? Lack of decent players is clearly a problem but then how are you going to attract better ones for Lyn and Kings to work with? Personally I doubt very much that the Dragons are going to get rid of the current coaching staff anytime soon. The Tovey saga said it all really. You're not going to preach ambition by signing a player like Nick McCleod and then think that changing coaches is going to work

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:21 pm

The problem we have, and again this might be stating the obvious, is that we have a business based sports model applied to a regional/franchise/provincial league structure. What I mean is, in a business based sports model (see France and England) if a club's board was overcautious, lacked vision, lacked money, etc., or alternatively was over-spending, making bad choices, etc. their fate could be determined by relegation. They would not bring in the players, lose loads of games, and probably get relegated eventually to be replaced by a team that perhaps can spend and compete, did have the vision, was not overly cautious. And the cycle would continue each season. Spend or die. A capitalist approach to rugby. On the flip side, in a true provincial structure there is no relegation to give the board a kick up the backside, but the union who owns and/or controls the clubs can put in additional funds to help a province compete. But what we have in Wales is no 'natural selection'. We have a board running the finances with no relegation fears and a union trying to dictate things with no (or little) financial worries of their own. I'm not saying the Dragons board lacks ambition. I doubt anyone in business and/or sport lacks ambition. But perhaps they lack the funds to take us forward, yet there is no trap door to kick out the weak and replace with someone new who does have the funds to take a region forward.

I've posted before about this, but in hindsight (20/20 hindsight, and all that!) I would have gone for 4 or 5 'superclubs' on pro licenses granting access to the Pro12 for a set number of years, with a semi-pro league below it. Anyone performing poorly could be reviewed and perhaps have their license revoked, or given a 1-2 year period to improve, and a team from the league below could apply and take that pro license if they were deemed up to the challenge (facilities wise, business wise, team, etc). At least then the clubs are in control of their own destiny, there's a small enough number to be competitive given our pro playing numbers, but we could still have the natural selection that means teams are forced to develop or die (get relegated). As we have no relegation from the Pro12 then 'relegation' should mean between Pro and semi-pro, perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:25 pm

Griff I have been saying exactly that for ages now, because the regions have nothing to fear they have no reason to improve.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

Funnily enough Griff some of the Merthyr supporters I was talking to at the Ponty match the other day were calling for the Dragons heads and questioning why the WRU are keeping them afloat. Personally I think they might be looking to jump in your place laughing

Gareth Davies was in the Sardis Grandstand Bar afterwards with the Pie Brothers...I'm sure I seen Stan slip him a few quid outside...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Griff I have been saying exactly that for ages now, because the regions have nothing to fear they have no reason to improve.

That's not what I'm saying though.  You're suggesting that they want to stay rubbish, which I disagree with.  I think they want to improve as much as any side.  All coaches, players, sports businessmen, etc. are ambitions people.  They will all WANT to improve because they are competitive people.  THAT is their reason.  All I'm saying is that if a region finds themselves with a board of directors not willing to put the money in (as they don't have it over and above what they're already doing = cautious approach), and a union reluctant to do it too, as there is no threat of relegation to spur them on or to get rid of them from the league then you will get a region that's a bit stuck.  They can't go up due to lack of investment and they can't go down as there is nowhere to go.  They're stuck in limbo.  I don't think that's the same as a lack of ambition or willpower though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

Steffan wrote:Funnily enough Griff some of the Merthyr supporters I was talking to at the Ponty match the other day were calling for the Dragons heads and questioning why the WRU are keeping them afloat. Personally I think they might be looking to jump in your place laughing

Gareth Davies was in the Sardis Grandstand Bar afterwards with the Pie Brothers...I'm sure I seen Stan slip him a few quid outside...

WRU aren't keeping them afloat.  The WRU hand over the TV and competition money the Dragons would get anyway if it wasn't channeled through the WRU first.  They also give the regions player release money, which they'd get whether it was regional or club rugby (as the English clubs get from the RFU).  Where are they keeping them afloat?

As far as I know no other team can jump in their place.  The sides are set.  Something to do with the new agreement I think.

In terms of the WRU wanting a new side bankrolled by Thomas.  Maybe, but I doubt they'd be keen to go down that route as it's not that sustainable.  Thomas is no spring chicken.  If he dies (heaven forbid) then there may be no more money invested.  Wasn't this part of the move to regional rugby, to try to rely less on sugar daddies who could walk at any time?  Not that it's turned out that way really.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Griff I have been saying exactly that for ages now, because the regions have nothing to fear they have no reason to improve.

That's not what I'm saying though.  You're suggesting that they want to stay rubbish, which I disagree with.  I think they want to improve as much as any side.  All coaches, players, sports businessmen, etc. are ambitions people.  They will all WANT to improve because they are competitive people.  THAT is their reason.  All I'm saying is that if a region finds themselves with a board of directors not willing to put the money in (as they don't have it over and above what they're already doing = cautious approach), and a union reluctant to do it too, as there is no threat of relegation to spur them on or to get rid of them from the league then you will get a region that's a bit stuck.  They can't go up due to lack of investment and they can't go down as there is nowhere to go.  They're stuck in limbo.  I don't think that's the same as a lack of ambition or willpower though.

Of course they want to improve, I am not suggesting they want to stay rubbish at all, I am suggesting that it dies not matter if they are always rubbish, because, well nothing will happen. 

The only thing that will make things alter within the mindset of the regions, is if the fans started voting with their feet, and trust me, a time will come when people will say, right, I've had enough of this crap, I am not wasting my money on this anymore and the region loses out on ticket sales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:53 pm

Griff wrote:WRU aren't keeping them afloat.  The WRU hand over the TV and competition money the Dragons would get anyway if it wasn't channeled through the WRU first.  They also give the regions player release money, which they'd get whether it was regional or club rugby (as the English clubs get from the RFU).  Where are they keeping them afloat?

As far as I know no other team can jump in their place.  The sides are set.  Something to do with the new agreement I think.

In terms of the WRU wanting a new side bankrolled by Thomas.  Maybe, but I doubt they'd be keen to go down that route as it's not that sustainable.  Thomas is no spring chicken.  If he dies (heaven forbid) then there may be no more money invested.  Wasn't this part of the move to regional rugby, to try to rely less on sugar daddies who could walk at any time?  Not that it's turned out that way really.
I was only joking about Stan slipping Gareth Davies some money of course. Although the bit about all three of them chumming it up in Sardis bar is true. As was the bit about what the Merthyr supporters were saying. But I doubt very much that Merthyr will be a "regional" team soon even if there is that ambition there and with Stan's WRU connections

Nothing is going to change I know that. Merthyr will be a club in the Welsh Premiership and the Dragons will continue to prop up the Pro 12 with the help of some Italians. Welcome to Welsh rugby

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:59 pm

It's good to have ambition but in the real world of sport and business ambition is not enough. You need results. A team will not be spared from relegation if they are in the bottom three at the end of the season in football regardless of "ambition". This is where Welsh rugby falters..."Lose every game if you like...you're our mate so we'll look after you boyo"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

With regards to Dragons, their saving grace is that they are part of PRW, and that in theory, if the WRU tried to dislodge them or withold any competition or TV money, they would have to take on the whole of PRW. Now, if when the RSA is renegotiated in 2019/20 the WRU offer money for player release per player provided to the national squad, as opposed to the 4 way equal split now, that would leave the Dragons in a far weaker positions. They would receive far less money from the WRU, which in itself could cause them to go bust if the board weren't willing to cover the shortfall, and their PRW partners may be less inclined to support them in any subsequent negotiations as they would be financially better off.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:09 pm

Steffan wrote:As was the bit about what the Merthyr supporters were saying

What were they saying ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

The more I see the malaise at the Dragons - primarily caused by a board not willing to invest, the more I think the threat of removal from the next RSA could be the threat needed for something to happen

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

What were they saying ?
About why are the WRU keeping the Dragons going. The guy was quite sensible to be fair and had a few of the Merthyr mini/youth boys with him. Well he was sensible apart from moments where he was shouting "You're just a small town in Merthyr"...but it was taken in jest. Wasn't you was it? Smile

Last edited by Steffan on Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:14 pm

GavinDragon wrote:The more I see the malaise at the Dragons - primarily caused by a board not willing to invest, the more I think the threat of removal from the next RSA could be the threat needed for something to happen

In fairness, the four regions need to start upping their games, Dragons unfortunately at the moment are just the the worst of a bad bunch. It's a shame, as the passion for rugby in Gwent is clearly there, and with Ebbw Vale flying high in the Welsh prem rugby could be cool again in that neck of the woods if things were to be improved.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:17 pm

Steffan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

What were they saying ?
About why are the WRU keeping the Dragons going. The guy was quite sensible to be fair and had a few of the Merthyr mini/youth boys with him. Well he was sensible apart from moments where he was shouting "You're just a small town in Merthyr"...but it was taken in jest. Wasn't you was it? Smile

Nah, that wasn't me, but he does have a point, although he does not need to shout it. You can see the angst from the "disenfranchised" fans though, all they see is failure, season upon season, they do not see why, or how, they just see Welsh regions getting beat by their counterparts all too often. This is where it all starts.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:18 pm

If anyone fancies a laugh then have a look at what our very own PhillBB has replied with on that Viet Gwent link I posted Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:19 pm

Steffan wrote:If anyone fancies a laugh then have a look at what our very own PhillBB has replied with on that Viet Gwent link I posted Smile

You will have to supply another link, that person is a pleb of the highest order. He gets railroaded off so many forums, you would not believe it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:If anyone fancies a laugh then have a look at what our very own PhillBB has replied with on that Viet Gwent link I posted Smile

You will have to supply another link, that person is a pleb of the highest order. He gets railroaded off so many forums, you would not believe it.
https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/more-east-glamorgan-hybrid-nonsense-a-supporters-trust-for-a-club-that-is-a-region/comment-page-1/#comment-32

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:29 pm

Laugh

PhillBB peddling his crap again.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:The more I see the malaise at the Dragons - primarily caused by a board not willing to invest, the more I think the threat of removal from the next RSA could be the threat needed for something to happen

In fairness, the four regions need to start upping their games, Dragons unfortunately at the moment are just the the worst of a bad bunch. It's a shame, as the passion for rugby in Gwent is clearly there, and with Ebbw Vale flying high in the Welsh prem rugby could be cool again in that neck of the woods if things were to be improved.

The gwent welsh premiership clubs are flying. Newport and Ebbw vying for top spot and Cross Keys and Bedwas pushing for the top half. I would seriously like to see the WP moved to summer. I would love to get down to RP or go up to EXP on a sunny day to watch a gwent derby.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:33 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I would seriously like to see the WP moved to summer
Same here thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:34 pm

Steffan wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I would seriously like to see the WP moved to summer
Same here thumbsup

The Ponty V Merthyr game would have been a hell of a lot better, for both the players and the fans. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

The usual "I want the best for Welsh rugby but any WRU structure which benefits Cardiff RFC is good in my book" arguement as always

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:36 pm

I would have thought for those clubs' committee men it would be a no brainer. No other rugby to compete with. Even with people on holiday in summer I would still say you would get more fans through the door. Heck the regions could bloomin help market their clubs' season tickets as they wouldnt be competing for the same fans.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:37 pm

Steffan wrote:

The usual "I want the best for Welsh rugby but any WRU structure which benefits Cardiff RFC is good in my book" arguement as always

Thing is, he is correct in so far as only the present financial model works. So, unless the current money men behind the regions want the structure to change (never), or the WRU try to impose change (also extremely unlikely), things aren't going to change.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:39 pm

Steffan wrote:

Haven't you here'd ? The world stops outside Cardiff, there is nothing, it just stops. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:40 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Haven't you here'd ? The world stops outside Cardiff, there is nothing, it just stops. Laugh

I would have thought that, given you both support the same team, you two would be more cordiale?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:40 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Thing is, he is correct in so far as only the present financial model works. So, unless the current money men behind the regions want the structure to change (never), or the WRU try to impose change (also extremely unlikely), things aren't going to change.

He is not correct. The fab four are supposed to be regions, well three of them are, Cardiff payed to stand alone. But the other three are supposed to represent regions, not the towns or cities they are based in.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I reckon the national Welsh team should be called "Cardiff". Surely we would get more of the pink cowboys hat brigade through the gates using one of the great and celebrated names of world rugby?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Thing is, he is correct in so far as only the present financial model works. So, unless the current money men behind the regions want the structure to change (never), or the WRU try to impose change (also extremely unlikely), things aren't going to change.

He is not correct. The fab four are supposed to be regions, well three of them are, Cardiff payed to stand alone. But the other three are supposed to represent regions, not the towns or cities they are based in.

You're preaching to the converted on this point. But in terms of changing things, it would require the agreement of existing moneymen

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:42 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I would have thought that, given you both support the same team, you two would be more cordiale?

Every team has their idiots. He is the type of fan who thinks that only the people who live in Cardiff should support Cardiff Blues, then he moans about the attitudes of the Ponty fans. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Every team has their idiots. He is the type of fan who thinks that only the people who live in Cardiff should support Cardiff Blues, then he moans about the attitudes of the Ponty fans. Rolling Eyes

Thing is, I believe him to be quite influential. Just my opinion.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:

Of course they want to improve, I am not suggesting they want to stay rubbish at all, I am suggesting that it dies not matter if they are always rubbish, because, well nothing will happen. 

The only thing that will make things alter within the mindset of the regions, is if the fans started voting with their feet, and trust me, a time will come when people will say, right, I've had enough of this crap, I am not wasting my money on this anymore and the region loses out on ticket sales.

I've told you before, that a few people seem to be under the impression that season tickets etc don't matter, as the tv money and that is all they rely on.

How do you know people already aren't thinking that anyway. Seems to be a fair few saying they won't renew already.

It's all well and good you saying nothing will happen, but nothing can happen as there is nobody ready to replace Dragons.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:50 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

That's the worry, he probably is, the thing is, a lot of the fans down at Cardiff want stand alone status, and nothing else, they do not want anything to do with anything outside of Cardiff, PhillBB is not alone, trust me. The majority down there think that we are all poor third world people up in the valleys. Oh and they also think that Cardiff RFC is one of the biggest club names in the world, and that is not a joke. 

I got my username from the locals at Cardiff, just because I have a nice car, ware nice clothes and have a little bit more money than others, they think I am a lord of the realm up in Merthyr, hence they call me Lord Dowlias. You would not believe half the crap they come out with on times. 

And people wonder why we are where we are with Welsh rugby. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

That's the worry, he probably is, the thing is, a lot of the fans down at Cardiff want stand alone status, and nothing else, they do not want anything to do with anything outside of Cardiff, PhillBB is not alone, trust me. The majority down there think that we are all poor third world people up in the valleys. Oh and they also think that Cardiff RFC is one of the biggest club names in the world, and that is not a joke. 

I got my username from the locals at Cardiff, just because I have a nice car, ware nice clothes and have a little bit more money than others, they think I am a lord of the realm up in Merthyr, hence they call me Lord Dowlias. You would not believe half the crap they come out with on times. 

And people wonder why we are where we are with Welsh rugby. Rolling Eyes

I always have a chuckle at that. Granted a good challenge cup win and the cup final in 94(?) when the English didn't compete, but before that I would say Gareth Edwards is more famous! As is the Pontypool front row, Llanelli etc

Also, people who share his views are mobilising http://cardiffbluesrugbytrust.org/

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I've told you before, that a few people seem to be under the impression that season tickets etc don't matter, as the tv money and that is all they rely on.

Well they need a good talking to then, because they are just sticking two fingers up at the fans with that attitude.

RiscaGame wrote:How do you know people already aren't thinking that anyway. Seems to be a fair few saying they won't renew already.

With a bit of luck then, that might give the blazers at Dragons a kick up the @rse.

RiscaGame wrote:It's all well and good you saying nothing will happen, but nothing can happen as there is nobody ready to replace Dragons.

And I have said before that we are stuck with what we have got so we need to try and make it work, I just wish the people in charge at Rodney Parade would think the same way.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

Steffan wrote:

I remember when Andy Bowell had a real pop at Paul Turner and Tommy reacted and got the boot. Funny how Andy hasn't been quite so prominent since in really questioning things. As a post on another forum said, he's the churno, so why isn't he asking the questions he poses about Lydiate etc. Lazy "journalism" at its best.

Personally, I think Dragons need a clear direction (Newport or Gwent) and do need a new coaching set up. It will make a difference, as not everybody is kick orientated like Lyn, nor so egotistical that he and Kingsley reward their sons with pro contracts.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:56 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I remember when Andy Bowell had a real pop at Paul Turner and Tommy reacted and got the boot. Funny how Andy hasn't been quite so prominent since in really questioning things. As a post on another forum said, he's the churno, so why isn't he asking the questions he poses about Lydiate etc. Lazy "journalism" at its best.

Personally, I think Dragons need a clear direction (Newport or Gwent) and do need a new coaching set up. It will make a difference, as not everybody is kick orienrated like Lyn, nor so egotistical that he and Kingsley reward their sons with pro contracts.

Agreed. I really do hope it is the latter, or a complete dropping of geographical references. If the former prevails, I would not renew my ST on principle.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:00 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Agreed. I really do hope it is the latter, or a complete dropping of geographical references. If the former prevails, I would not renew my ST on principle.
One what principle is that then can I ask?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:02 pm

Steffan wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Agreed. I really do hope it is the latter, or a complete dropping of geographical references. If the former prevails, I would not renew my ST on principle.

Well I would imagine, that he is not a Newport supporter, but a Gwent Dragon supporter, thus if the team was called Newport Dragons he would not want to support them.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Well I would imagine, that he is not a Newport supporter, but a Gwent Dragon supporter, thus if the team was called Newport Dragons he would not want to support them.
No one is asking him to support Newport RFC. But the Dragons are the professional rugby team and "region" of Gwent regardless of name

Last edited by Steffan on Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Well I would imagine, that he is not a Newport supporter, but a Gwent Dragon supporter, thus if the team was called Newport Dragons he would not want to support them.

Bang on sir.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

Steffan wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Newport has been in the name since the Dragons began (minus the first few weeks). Why would dropping the Gwent but suddenly make them completely alien to a ST holder? Same players, same board of dorectors and same coaches

Because I only supported the team, or watched any domestic rugby for that matter, when the regions were created. It was a concept I did, and do, fully believe in. That a fully united, and well supported, Gwent region - trading on the history of all its great clubs - Newport, Pooler, Ebbw Vale, Newbridge, Abertillery (and in later years Bedwas) could awaken a true sleeping giant of welsh rugby.

The minute the Gwent goes, as symbolic as it may be, it reverts to NRFC and I had and have no interest in supporting the B&A's

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next