The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

+10
wolfball
RuggerRadge2611
Notch
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
EWT Spoons
marty2086
LordDowlais
No9
fa0019
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? Empty Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:31 am

Watching the Scotland vs Wales match I started to wonder if refs should now get google glasses especially for set piece and TMO's. The technology is there, why not use it?

First off I thought Wales just about edged the match and think they deserved the win. Scotland just didn't quite have the belief nor ability to secure their own set piece to win against a quality top 5 team like Wales.

However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally. I know Scotland probably were doing it too on their own attacks but it just so happened that the eye in the sky showed a number of times Wales doing it.
They often tended to drive on the angle to isolate particular props and seem to go forward when really they weren't.  The eye in the sky showed this quite clear so should we literally give refs the technology to control this via google glasses? Driving in at an angle is always one of the those difficult things to tell from ground level but very obvious from the sky. It could be real time so I think it would be a good idea. Also means the ref can check TMO's himself.

I think it would improve the scrums, make it more of a contest as teams won't be able to play that grey area and without any changes to rules so why not use it?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? Empty Re: Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

fa0019 wrote:Watching the Scotland vs Wales match I started to wonder if refs should now get google glasses especially for set piece and TMO's. The technology is there, why not use it?

First off I thought Wales just about edged the match and think they deserved the win. Scotland just didn't quite have the belief nor ability to secure their own set piece to win against a quality top 5 team like Wales.

However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally. I know Scotland probably were doing it too on their own attacks but it just so happened that the eye in the sky showed a number of times Wales doing it.
They often tended to drive on the angle to isolate particular props and seem to go forward when really they weren't.  The eye in the sky showed this quite clear so should we literally give refs the technology to control this via google glasses? Driving in at an angle is always one of the those difficult things to tell from ground level but very obvious from the sky. It could be real time so I think it would be a good idea. Also means the ref can check TMO's himself.

I think it would improve the scrums, make it more of a contest as teams won't be able to play that grey area and without any changes to rules so why not use it?

but you thought you'd make a point of Wales doing it.. Doh

Best side won (just), accept it..

No9

Back to top Go down

Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's? Empty Re: Should refs now get google glasses for scrums and TMO's?

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:23 am

No9 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Watching the Scotland vs Wales match I started to wonder if refs should now get google glasses especially for set piece and TMO's. The technology is there, why not use it?

hence why I said, "first off I thought Wales just about edged the match and deserved the win".

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

D'you now what, I am getting sick of whinging Sotts on here, harping on about this that and the other, every time we play them, and win, there is a massive furore on here, last year it was the same, the year before, and the year before that. 

Lets just leave the bitch fest out of this.

Also, the officials could not get it right with a slow mo and a few looks at it. So how the frig are they going to manage with more technology ?

We need less technology, not more.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:D'you now what, I am getting sick of whinging Sotts on here, harping on about this that and the other, every time we play them, and win, there is a massive furore on here, last year it was the same, the year before, and the year before that. 

Also, the officials could not get it right with a slow mo and a few looks at it. So how the frig are they going to manage with more technology ?

That line hilarious

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:50 am

No9 wrote:

' it just so happened that the eye in the sky showed a number of times Wales doing it.'

That lines crucial to the argument, especially given hes saying that Scotland probably were doing t even though it wasn't showing. Someones a little sensitive this morning, you forget valentines and have to sleep on the sofa yesterday or something?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 10:55 am

LordDowlais wrote:D'you now what, I am getting sick of whinging Sotts on here, harping on about this that and the other, every time we play them, and win, there is a massive furore on here, last year it was the same, the year before, and the year before that. 

Not sure where you are getting that from.  The match thread is basically just Welsh and English fans arguing, the thread about the try, is again English and Welsh arguing and this one is just about incorporating technology.  I also presume you meant Scots.

With regards to the OP, I don't think it would help.  I've never used google glasses, but I suspect they would be more off putting than beneficial.  You would have a video being played over one eye, which could easily mean the ref would miss something that was happening because he couldn't see it due to watching a video feed.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Not sure where you are getting that from.

Well lets take a look at things.

Last year it was all about Dan Biggar and Finn Russel and Rhys Webb's try.

The year before it was all about Stuart Hogg and his red card

The year before that the game where Hibbard scored the only try it was all about how the ref only penalised one team at the breakdowns.

Then it was all about Shane Williams try with his foot in touch, I could go on an on.......

It is just getting a bit tiresome.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:08 am

LordDowlais wrote:

The year before that the game where Hibbard scored the only try it was all about how the ref only penalised one team at the breakdowns.

Then it was all about Shane Williams try with his foot in touch, I could go on an on.......

Where are you actually seeing Scots whinge? You are calling out events from previous years, but why mention that now? I'm failing to see the relevance to 2016.

I mean if we're doing that, then do you know what I'm sick of, Germany invading Poland. Icebergs and their destructive nature when it comes to luxury cruise ships.

Equally nothing do to with this years 6 nations, but fun though. I can see why you did it now.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:08 am

LordDowlais wrote:

So because it happened in a Welsh game its baseless? Look I said it had no bearing on the result and that Wales deserved to win. I also said that Scotland probably did it and everyone does... but it so happened the eye in the sky shots over what was Welsh scrums had me thinking it can easily be rectified.

Is that anything wrong with that?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:09 am

fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:

hence why I said, "first off I thought Wales just about edged the match and deserved the win".

Laugh What game where you watching... Wales won it not edged it.. If you want to go down that route, Scotlands last try actually flattered the scoreline...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:13 am

No9 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:

Laugh What game where you watching... Wales won it not edged it.. If you want to go down that route, Scotlands last try actually flattered the scoreline...

It was a close game. North's try was exceptional but came a little out of nowhere... when you score a try like that when a player dances past 5 players to put a game away its not a given.
The last try was as you say a bit of a flattering edge but it did give them a shot at the match off the final kickoff so I don't see why it was so.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:

It was a close game. North's try was exceptional but came a little out of nowhere... when you score a try like that when a player dances past 5 players to put a game away its not a given.
The last try was  as you say a bit of a flattering edge but it did give them a shot at the match off the final kickoff so I don't see why it was so.

Where-as our recent score against SA somehow flattered us, according to you back then. You can't have it both ways.

FYI I have seen a lot of people whinging, and they're both Scottish and English so LD has a point. It seems to follow this fixture each year, hence the reference to all the past whinges.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:38 am

I genuinely have not seen one Scottish poster whinge. I have seen a lot of people complaining, but they seem to be Welsh and English.

Wales deserved the win, no two ways about it. They started better and finished better. The middle was a bit tighter, at times we shaded it, other times Wales did, but Wales took their chances and won. End of.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

The QF?

I didn't think I said that, may have but can't remember (without checking). SA weren't exactly dominant in that match, they had the lions share of the ball and Wales tried to soak it up in the 2nd half. It was quite an even match... but it did seem similar to Wales Scotland. The underdog looked good for a while but the better side was able to eventually knock the door down.

Anyhow, I still don't think its a reason to say that the technology available couldn't be used to benefit the game without holding it up/changing the laws.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:45 am

fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
No9 wrote:

The last try was  as you say a bit of a flattering edge but it did give them a shot at the match off the final kickoff so I don't see why it was so.

Close... Wales where in command of that game... A late Scottish try (good one I admit) leaves a much closer score, than a true reflection of the game.

And North beating 5 defenders to score follows a pattern that many Welsh players have done in the past against Scotland, namely Gareth Edwards, Phil Bennett, JJ Williams, Gerald Davies, Jonathan Davies, Ieuan Evans, Shane Williams to name a few...

You obviously feel bruised, after the self belief that Scotland where now the top NH side following their RWC success. I'm so sorry for you that its not the case. I just hope you can beat Italy next, as I have this suspicion you wont... But on a positive note, you will get another spoon for that trophy cabinet... Cheers..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

Ok can the welsh stop complaining about thepro12, the regions, the WRU as I'm sick of coming onto this open public forum that i have a choice in what I read and weather I take offence to it and having it forced down my throat.
People have opinions get over it.
That is all

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:51 am

EWT Spoons wrote:I genuinely have not seen one Scottish poster whinge.  I have seen a lot of people complaining, but they seem to be Welsh and English.

Wales deserved the win, no two ways about it.  They started better and finished better.  The middle was a bit tighter, at times we shaded it, other times Wales did, but Wales took their chances and won.  End of.

Get over to the Wales vs Scotland thread with both eyes open mate. thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:52 am

I don't think even the most ardent Scotland fan would ever have argued Scotland were the best team in Europe.. by a long shot.
I actually backed Wales for the 6N this year. I've said it quite a bit, expected Wales to win the match before and throughout it too.

Command of the match.. if you say so but with more than 3/4 of the game gone it was all square and Scotland were deep in Wales 22. That move turned the match as James break gave you great position which you went on to maximise with a converted try minutes later.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:I genuinely have not seen one Scottish poster whinge.  I have seen a lot of people complaining, but they seem to be Welsh and English.

Wales deserved the win, no two ways about it.  They started better and finished better.  The middle was a bit tighter, at times we shaded it, other times Wales did, but Wales took their chances and won.  End of.

I have. Can you pick out an example, maybe a few considering it seems to be something that has really riled LD up and I guess yourself, so there must be lots? I mean I've gone through as much as I could take, but I got bored of Welsh fans fighting with each other, and then English and Welsh fans fighting with each other.

I have seen a few talking about the first try, but I don't believe any of them have said it cost us the game or moaning about it, purely a talking point from the game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I have.  Can you pick out an example, maybe a few considering it seems to be something that has really riled LD up and I guess yourself, so there must be lots?  I mean I've gone through as much as I could take, but I got bored of Welsh fans fighting with each other, and then English and Welsh fans fighting with each other.

I have seen a few talking about the first try, but I don't believe any of them have said it cost us the game or moaning about it, purely a talking point from the game.

Try reading some of alive555's responses then. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

Can't believe how bad this forum is sometimes. Scottish poster comes out and says Wales deserved to win but he has some minor concerns with how certain parts of the game and also some ideas how the sport could improve this. So far, completely reasonable and friendly. Then the first few responses are accusing him of whining and not accepting the result despite this being literally the first thing he has said!

Whatever other posters have said on other threads in the aftermath of a close game is neither here nor there, even if the OP has said something on another thread its irrelevant. Whatever has happened in previous threads or previous years is also irrelevant. This is a separate thread with a poster who has acknowledged the other team deserved the win, and gone on to make his points about the interpretation of an often poorly officiated part of the game in a reasonable and fair manner. If you are not willing to respond in the same fashion then maybe you should just pass over the thread altogether instead of responding to it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I have.  Can you pick out an example, maybe a few considering it seems to be something that has really riled LD up and I guess yourself, so there must be lots?  I mean I've gone through as much as I could take, but I got bored of Welsh fans fighting with each other, and then English and Welsh fans fighting with each other.

thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm

Notch wrote:Can't believe how bad this forum is sometimes. Scottish poster comes out and says Wales deserved to win but he has some minor concerns with how certain parts of the game and also some ideas how the sport could improve this. So far, completely reasonable and friendly. Then the first few responses are accusing him of whining and not accepting the result despite this being literally the first thing he has said!

Whatever other posters have said on other threads in the aftermath of a close game is neither here nor there, even if the OP has said something on another thread its irrelevant. Whatever has happened in previous threads or previous years is also irrelevant. This is a separate thread with a poster who has acknowledged the other team deserved the win, and gone on to make his points about the interpretation of an often poorly officiated part of the game in a reasonable and fair manner. If you are not willing to respond in the same fashion then maybe you should just pass over the thread altogether instead of responding to it.

Well to be fair, whining, although quite subtle is exactly what he's doing. "Wales were infringing at scrum and lineout" etc. It's just whining about things that didn't go Scotland's way. It happened last year, and the year before, and the year before, and also the one before that if I remember rightly. Now just imagine if the roles were reversed. The entire forum would be baying for the poster's blood and we'd be reading the usual "the Welsh always blame the ref" retorts. At least fa is doing utmost to discuss his points I guess, hence trying to make it a good discussion.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:37 pm

Notch wrote:If you are not willing to respond in the same fashion then maybe you should just pass over the thread altogether instead of responding to it.

Notch, it's these comments that need replying to:-

fa0019 wrote:However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally.

What response is he hoping for with these kinds of words ?

If he had a genuine concern, then he did not have to mention any team names, he could have said he is concerned how the scrum is reffed or something along those lines, it just all smacks of bitterness.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Well it was hard to track down, but I found alive555's posting history and see they made one comment that a game changing decison went against Scotland.  So what you are saying is one poster, made one comment. Which whilst I don't think was necessarily game changing, did go against Scotland.

Whilst going through the match thread, the only scottish posters comments I saw were saying it was the right result, or we played better (which we did in comparison to the england game), but I was skim reading as I was trying to find alive555's offending post (turns out they didn't post in that thread).  I'm sorry I'm still not sure where you are coming from with this whinging Scots, when what you are really saying is "alive555 made a comment I don't agree with".

Anyway, I'm not that bothered to be honest, I think you are just looking for a reason to be upset by something so I'll leave it there, and apologies to the OP for going off topic. In a lame attempt to get his chat back on topic, I don't think G.Glasses would help, but I suppose it might speed up the game if the ref could see incidents in realtime, but as I said earlier I think it would be more of a distraction than an aide.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Notch wrote:Can't believe how bad this forum is sometimes. Scottish poster comes out and says Wales deserved to win but he has some minor concerns with how certain parts of the game and also some ideas how the sport could improve this. So far, completely reasonable and friendly. Then the first few responses are accusing him of whining and not accepting the result despite this being literally the first thing he has said!

Well to be fair, whining, although quite subtle is exactly what he's doing. "Wales were infringing at scrum and lineout" etc. It's just whining about things that didn't go Scotland's way. It happened last year, and the year before, and the year before, and also the one before that if I remember rightly. Now just imagine if the roles were reversed. The entire forum would be baying for the poster's blood and we'd be reading the usual "the Welsh always blame the ref" retorts. At least fa is doing utmost to discuss his points I guess, hence trying to make it a good discussion.

Way to go Mikey. Completely ignored what was written and do exactly what was being said not to do.
That's amoral victory right there.
Have a prize

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote: Now just imagine if the roles were reversed. The entire forum would be baying for the poster's blood and we'd be reading the usual "the Welsh always blame the ref" retorts. At least fa is doing utmost to discuss his points I guess, hence trying to make it a good discussion.

There does seem to be one rule for the Welsh, and another rule for everyone else when it comes to moaning about the refs on this forum. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Way to go Mikey. Completely ignored what was written and do exactly what was being said not to do.
Have a prize

I'm sorry but I've no idea what you're getting at?

No need for a moral victory btw, team Wales won fair and square.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

Yet your doing he exact same to the Scott's?
It really is a thing of.beauty

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Have a prize

Hmmm feel free to read it again at your leisure.
I will wait.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:43 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Anyway, I'm not that bothered to be honest, I think you are just looking for a reason to be upset by something so I'll leave it there, and apologies to the OP for going off topic. In a lame attempt to get his chat back on topic, I don't think G.Glasses would help, but I suppose it might speed up the game if the ref could see incidents in realtime, but as I said earlier I think it would be more of a distraction than an aide.

The only way it would work, is if the TMO was allowed to watch the scrum from above, at the same time the ref is watching it on the pitch, and he could then communicate with the ref via the mike when he see one front row cheating.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Have a prize

I will wait.

Nah I'm good. I've already read enough whinging from you on the Wales v Scotland thread.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Anyway, I'm not that bothered to be honest, I think you are just looking for a reason to be upset by something so I'll leave it there, and apologies to the OP for going off topic. In a lame attempt to get his chat back on topic, I don't think G.Glasses would help, but I suppose it might speed up the game if the ref could see incidents in realtime, but as I said earlier I think it would be more of a distraction than an aide.

The only way it would work, is if the TMO was allowed to watch the scrum from above, at the same time the ref is watching it on the pitch, and he could then communicate with the ref via the mike when he see one front row cheating.

That's what I was thinking. Or a separate scrum ref, ex front row who has that birds eye view. Anything to stop all teams making the scrums farce. Just line up and push. Shouldn't be that hard

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Notch wrote:If you are not willing to respond in the same fashion then maybe you should just pass over the thread altogether instead of responding to it.

fa0019 wrote:However what amazed me was how easy it was to see how Wales were driving their scrums illegally.

If he had a genuine concern, then he did not have to mention any team names, he could have said he is concerned how the scrum is reffed or something along those lines, it just all smacks of bitterness.

There are some posts that smack of bitterness on here, but they are not by the OP. He is simply describing something he thinks happened in a game of rugby he watched. I didn't see the game, I don't know whether this is correct or not. If you are literally unable to deal with him having an opinion on rugby, do not engage with his threads instead of spoiling it for others.

Also, if you are an international front row and you are not cheating in the scrum you are not a very good international front row. He is not criticising any team for this, but rather suggesting ways he thinks that referees could become better to make cheating at scrum time a less attractive prospect. Again, if you can't deal with Wales being mentioned in this context you are better off not engaging with the thread at all.

The conversation is now not about scrummaging, but about certain posters looking for offence to ruin another thread. If you keep on doing this you will get the forum you deserve because in turn the more excitable Scottish posters will do the same thing to you when you have a legitimate thread. And so the vicious cycle continues!

Break the cycle. Be the bigger man!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Maybe google glasses could have helped the ref see Scottish players running back and entering rucks from an offside position - or was that too inconvenient to get a mention in the OP?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Have a prize

I will wait.

Nah I'm good. I've already read enough whinging from you on the Wales v Scotland thread.

Impressive

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

Notch wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

There are some posts that smack of bitterness on here, but they are not by the OP. He is simply describing something he thinks happened in a game of rugby he watched. I didn't see the game, I don't know whether this is correct or not. If you are literally unable to deal with him having an opinion on rugby, do not engage with his threads instead of spoiling it for others.

Also, if you are an international front row and you are not cheating in the scrum you are not a very good international front row. He is not criticising any team for this, but rather suggesting ways he thinks that referees could become better to make cheating at scrum time a less attractive prospect. Again, if you can't deal with Wales being mentioned in this context you are better off not engaging with the thread at all.

The conversation is now not about scrummaging, but about certain posters looking for offence to ruin another thread. If you keep on doing this you will get the forum you deserve because in turn the more excitable Scottish posters will do the same thing to you when you have a legitimate thread. And so the vicious cycle continues!

Break the cycle. Be the bigger man!

Why do only Wales get mentioned in this context after every game they play though? There's also a trend that follows this fixture each year and it seems to be that Wales did everything illegally and the ref let them get away with it. I'd say the bitterness is certainly not from Wales fans but oh well.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:51 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I think whilst that would work, it would just make scrums even longer than they are now. As I said the glasses would obsecure the refs view, so not ideal, getting TMOs involved more is not something anyone wants.

Unless there was some technology that could determine if a prop was going squint instantly, then i think it should be left alone. These things happen in games, both teams will be doing their best to gain an advantage and we probably just need to accept that in some instances.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:52 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Or a separate scrum ref, ex front row who has that birds eye view. Anything to stop all teams making the scrums farce. Just line up and push. Shouldn't be that hard

All the tools are already in place though, a ref, a ref watching the game on a tele, a mike to speak with each other, if the scrum goes jubblies up, the TMO can say, yes ref, red 3 was not binding, or he was driving at an angle. We had these birds eye view shots during the WC in the Wales V England game, it was clear to see that the English front row were cheating, but the ref did not have a clue. 

Thus it was spoken about at length before the Australia V England game the following week. 

In fact, this is a very easy one to sort out. We do not need friggin google glasses. Doh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Last year it was all about Dan Biggar and Finn Russel and Rhys Webb's try. Ok, let's just see, Russell played the man in the air, definite Penalty. Haskell also melted an Italian in the air on Sunday and conceded a penalty, he wasn't yellow carded though. What bothered me more about that match is that it ended 30 seconds early. Glen Jackson's fault. Not any welshman's fault thumbsup

The year before it was all about Stuart Hogg and his red card. Hogg got what he deserved, he was petulant and stupid. It did ruin the game though. Like Warburton in the semi final of the RWC when Rolland sent him off, the decision was made by the letter of the law, but perhaps not in the spirit of it. IMO 2 yellows would have been enough for both of those offences.

The year before that the game where Hibbard scored the only try it was all about how the ref only penalised one team at the breakdowns. Don't remember this

Then it was all about Shane Williams try with his foot in touch, I could go on an on....... or this.

Basically get over yourself mate thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Tue 16 Feb 2016, 5:37 am

Well said, I clicked on this thread to read an interesting debate on technology in rugby, google glasses versus something like Microsofts augmented reality etc, but everyone just wants to derail and take offence. How do people even survive in the real world?

On topic, I think google glasses would be distracting, but Microsoft HoloLens could be amazing. the ref could see things like the offline line in realtime etc.

*the difference between the two technologies for those not familiar is that googleglasses is a small video screen in corner of the glasses, hololens is more like a HUD with visuals super imposed upon the real world.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:50 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Well it was hard to track down, but I found alive555's posting history and see they made one comment that a game changing decison went against Scotland.  So what you are saying is one poster, made one comment.  Which whilst I don't think was necessarily game changing, did go against Scotland.

Whilst going through the match thread, the only scottish posters comments I saw were saying it was the right result, or we played better (which we did in comparison to the england game), but I was skim reading as I was trying to find alive555's offending post (turns out they didn't post in that thread).  I'm sorry I'm still not sure where you are coming from with this whinging Scots, when what you are really saying is "alive555 made a comment I don't agree with".

Anyway, I'm not that bothered to be honest, I think you are just looking for a reason to be upset by something so I'll leave it there, and apologies to the OP for going off topic.  In a lame attempt to get his chat back on topic, I don't think G.Glasses would help, but I suppose it might speed up the game if the ref could see incidents in realtime, but as I said earlier I think it would be more of a distraction than an aide.

yes its right here . https://www.606v2.com/t62165p150-gareth-davies-try-was-correct-decision

the subject matter was whether it should have been a try. It was correctly pointed out in detail by referencing specific laws why it wasnt a try.

ffs even their own press said as much right here ! ;- http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-davies-wonder-try-wales-10889858

of course if they wanted to dispute it they would have replied referencing those and indeed any other applicable laws and tell us where these experts got it wrong, but unsurprisingly elected not to. Very Happy

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:56 am

wolfball wrote:

Well said, I clicked on this thread to read an interesting debate on technology in rugby, google glasses versus something like Microsofts augmented reality etc, but everyone just wants to derail and take offence. How do people even survive in the real world?

On topic, I think google glasses would be distracting, but Microsoft HoloLens could be amazing. the ref could see things like the offline line in realtime etc.

*the difference between the two technologies for those not familiar is that googleglasses is a small video screen in corner of the glasses, hololens is more like a HUD with visuals super imposed upon the real world.

whatever technology can improve the sport without slowing the game down I'd be all for it whether its google glass or something else. Scrums are a problem because teams (all teams) see it as such a grey area that they can exploit the rules.... and no one wants to see scrum penalty after scrum penalty, collapsed scrums taking 4 minutes off a game. It draws fans off the sport. Not to say we should go leagues way but its manipulated heavily and stopping this would make for a more fluid even contest.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:19 am

Less technology, not more. Do we want our sport turned into something else? Look at the NFL, adverts every few minutes, stop start, like I said earlier, there tools are in place to ref the scrums, use them, it's obvious the ref needs help at scrum time, so let the TMo start watching it as well, he has a mike, he can talk with the ref, use him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:24 am

LordDowlais wrote:Less technology, not more. Do we want our sport turned into something else? Look at the NFL, adverts every few minutes, stop start, like I said earlier, there tools are in place to ref the scrums, use them, it's obvious the ref needs help at scrum time, so let the TMo start watching it as well, he has a mike, he can talk with the ref, use him.

No one is suggesting more TV.. just the ref to get more info. If he can see a camera real time on a tech glass or whatever then it will IMO help scrums immensely. Teams will simply not be able to risk charging in on one side, it will be more of an even contest rather than 5 on 2 isolation of players.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:27 am

Couldn't agree more LD. Go back to the world cup and what h Japan. They got tight, low, hooked the ball, drove straight and the ball came out in seconds.. Now compare it to England Wales or Ireland's scrum where at least one prop tried some silly angled drive to "win" a penalty and it was a mess with slow ball.
Im sure Brian more did a comparison in his teleplgraph colum during the world cup. Will try and find it.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:29 am

fa0019 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Less technology, not more. Do we want our sport turned into something else? Look at the NFL, adverts every few minutes, stop start, like I said earlier, there tools are in place to ref the scrums, use them, it's obvious the ref needs help at scrum time, so let the TMo start watching it as well, he has a mike, he can talk with the ref, use him.

No one is suggesting more TV.. just the ref to get more info. If he can see a camera real time on a tech glass or whatever then it will IMO help scrums immensely. Teams will simply not be able to risk charging in on one side, it will be more of an even contest rather than 5 on 2 isolation of players.

Look, you cannot run around a rugby pitch with a pair of glasses on FFS. What if they fall of ? What if it's raining ? What if the ref gets walloped in the face ? 

I have got to be honest, people just do not think on here. The TMO is enough technology for the game, we just need to evolve how we use him, the TMO can watch the scrum at the same time the ref is watching it, he can then say to the ref, via the mike, who is doing what whilst the ref concentrates on crooked feeds and the what not. It's simple, why are you over complicating things ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

In an ideal world the TMO and assistant refs should be helping out more at the scrum. I think a lot of refs are a bit poor in this area, but as has been said a large amount of it is that there's about 5 different things to look at at the same time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:35 am

Can't coaches tell the scrum to stay straight and push? If both sides are doing it won't that sort it all out?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next