The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

+58
Notch
tatterd
rainbow-warrior
Barney McGrew did it
gavstar
englandglory4ever
Shifty
VinceWLB
glamorganalun
nathan
Geordie
Engine#4
Exiledinborders
RDW
Scottrf
Heaf
LondonTiger
wales606
seanmichaels
Pot Hale
Rory_Gallagher
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Cyril
hugehandoff
Gwlad
westisbest
gregortree
Cardiff Dave
wayne
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
wrfc1980
Fanster
offload
BigTrevsbigmac
GavCanDance
rumpelstiltskindoh
Dontheman2
RubyGuby
PenfroPete
Blueschief
chris_501
ScarletSpiderman
Luckless Pedestrian
carpet baboon
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
mikey_dragon
Seagultaf
RiscaGame
whocares
True Raven
exile jack
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
Knowsit17
munkian
maestegmafia
62 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016 Empty Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

Wales v France

Date: Friday, 26 February
Venue: Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Kick-off: 20:05 GMT

Coverage: Live on BBC One Wales & S4C, commentary on Radio 5 live sports extra, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru & BBC Sport website and BBC Sport app, plus live text commentary.

Wales team: Liam Williams (Scarlets), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), George North (Northampton ), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets); Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys); Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues).

France Team: Maxime Medard; Virimi Vakatawa, Maxime Mermoz, Jonathan Danty, Djibril Camara; Jules Plisson, Maxime Machenaud; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Rabah Slimani, Alexandre Flanquart, Paul Jedrasiak, Antoine Burban, Damien Chouly, Wenceslas Lauret.

Replacements: Camille Chat, Uini Atonio, Vincent Pelo, Yoann Maestri, Loann Goujon, Sebastien Bezy, Francois Trinh Duc, Gael Fickou.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 8:04 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France Six Nations 2016 Empty Re: Wales vs France Six Nations 2016

Post by munkian Fri 19 Feb 2016, 12:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:A win and a draw.

14 played real eased from the squad in the middle weekend to play regional rugby. Foreign based players released to their clubs.

Latest release is Tom James back to the blues...

Will he be replaced for the French game?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/16/wales-tom-james-cardiff-blues-france-six-nations

I'd really like Amos instead, has a wider game than Tom and a mean hand off.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 19 Feb 2016, 1:44 am

It's hard to tell whether the releases are indications of impending replacements or just due to the staff thinking they could use the game time, such as with Lydiate.

Doubt we'll see that many changes. The scrum has done ok in the two games thus far. Hope Charteris manages to make it back, we'll miss his work in the lineout and maul if he doesn't. The main question is does Gatland persist with the Warbs-Tipuric combo (unspectacular so far) or does he bring in Lydiate?

The backs should be mainly unchanged. Maybe Amos in for TJ, although while I don't rate the latter I must admit his break against Scotland did help to eventually win the game. Not sure that's any basis to keep him on or a one-off.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:37 am

Don't forget all the boys gone back to English/French clubs as well so lot of rugby this weekend where injuries could happen.

Charteris is already a doubt and has been ruled out of Racings game this weekend.

If all pull through then this would be my 23

Evans Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

G Davies Biggar

North Roberts J Davies Amos

L Williams

Jenkins Owens Francis B Davies Tipuric Ll Williams Priestland M Morgan

If Charteris is out then Bradley starts with I guess King coming onto the bench, am not a huge fan of Morgan but we need something different off the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:38 am

KI

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding the reasons for releasing Tom James.

It will be interesting to see how he does. Not sure our other wingers would have been chased down by Taylor like last week.

Might see Lydiate return for a gruntier back row against France...! Think that would make sense.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:42 am

Lydiate has to return IMO, for me the Warburton Tipuric combo hasn't worked
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 19 Feb 2016, 3:43 am

Christ on a bike, we're eager aren't we. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Fri 19 Feb 2016, 4:08 am

Lydiate for Tipuric,Amos for Anscombe.I'd keep Tom J because he saved a try in Ireland and on the TV replay it seemed to me that Taylor had a few metres start on Tom J and made that count with the angle in his favour.I think Jiffy pointed out that Tom J had pulled away from the players behind him.Hope our line and tactical kicking is much improved and that Gareth D's box kicking is much more limited and then more effective when he does it.Please can JD run more and kick less.That's all folks.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri 19 Feb 2016, 5:22 am

JD is not playing this weekend due to a groin strain (I think)

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Feb 2016, 6:59 am

Hopefully JD2 and Charteris are just precautions

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Feb 2016, 7:54 am

Leigh Halfpenny is back at the Vale with Wales.

Robyn McBride

"It's good to have Leigh back, he's a quality player. The knowledge he can share amongst the squad with regards to the French mindset - that's invaluable as well, with regards to how they perceive us and some of the challenges they think we possess."

"In fairness to Leigh, he's with us sharing that knowledge. It's great to see Leigh taking great strides in his rehab."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:43 am

maestegmafia wrote:Leigh Halfpenny is back at the Vale with Wales.

Robyn McBride

"It's good to have Leigh back, he's a quality player. The knowledge he can share amongst the squad with regards to the French mindset - that's invaluable as well, with regards to how they perceive us and some of the challenges they think we possess."

"In fairness to Leigh, he's with us sharing that knowledge. It's great to see Leigh taking great strides in his rehab."

What more can he offer that Charteris and JD can't though? He's not going to be back playing this 6 nations so just keeping him involved I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:45 am

Charteris is not playing this weekend (knee). racing coach not very hopeful he will be ready for the next 6N game.
On our side Ben Arous definitely out, replaced by Chiocci in the group. Trinh Duc and Le Roux are also back but very unlikely to start. Fingers cross for no more injury this weekend.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:32 am

whocares wrote:Charteris is not playing this weekend (knee). racing coach not very hopeful he will be ready for the next 6N game.
On our side Ben Arous definitely out, replaced by Chiocci in the group. Trinh Duc and Le Roux are also back but very unlikely to start. Fingers cross for no more injury this weekend.

Charteris was on Radio Wales tonight seems to think he will be ok, time will tell I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 19 Feb 2016, 5:05 pm

Robyn McBride

Tyler has been in the same boat allegedly. Neither should be fit for team Wales this tournament.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:39 pm

RiscaGame wrote:

Robyn McBride

Tyler has been in the same boat allegedly. Neither should be fit for team Wales this tournament.

Hopefully all make a good recovery.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 19 Feb 2016, 9:47 pm

Yes. Hence why I say neither should be involved with Team Wales this tournament. The WOD's won't do them any favours.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 20 Feb 2016, 11:55 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Don't forget all the boys gone back to English/French clubs as well so lot of rugby this weekend where injuries could happen.

Charteris is already a doubt and has been ruled out of Racings game this weekend.

Evans Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris

G Davies Biggarj

L Williams

If Charteris is out then Bradley starts with I guess King coming onto the bench, am not a huge fan of Morgan but we need something different off the bench.

I would go with the same starting 15 but differ from your selection on the bench. Lloyd Williams does not have what it takes at this level and Gats seems to agree as he rarely comes on until the last few minutes even when Davies is not playing well. With Webb injured again, I would give Aled Davies a shot from the bench. Sorry but Matthew Morgan needs to get into the starting 15 for his club before he gets talked about as a Welsh international. He is nippy and illusive but has no tactical or defence game, hopefully he will kick on at Cardiff, but with Fish and the Canadian guy as good options at 15 he may yet struggle again to get game time. In the absence of anyone else I would leave Anscombe on the bench as he can cover a few positions.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 21 Feb 2016, 5:57 am

Seagultaf wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Don't forget all the boys gone back to English/French clubs as well so lot of rugby this weekend where injuries could happen.

Evans Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris

G Davies Biggarj

L Williams

I would go with the same starting 15 but differ from your selection on the bench. Lloyd Williams does not have what it takes at this level and Gats seems to agree as he rarely comes on until the last few minutes even when Davies is not playing well. With Webb injured again, I would give Aled Davies a shot from the bench. Sorry but Matthew Morgan needs to get into the starting 15 for his club before he gets talked about as a Welsh international. He is nippy and illusive but has no tactical or defence game, hopefully he will kick on at Cardiff, but with Fish and the Canadian guy as good options at 15 he may yet struggle again to get game time. In the absence of anyone else I would leave Anscombe on the bench as he can cover a few positions.

Which is the case with Priestland. Every time I bring it up some folk, including you, disagree and make excuses. I also can't agree with you on Aled Davies, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 21 Feb 2016, 8:41 am

Seagul,

I am not a fan of Ll Williams or Morgan but that said I think Williams' service has been quicker in the last two games than Davies when he has come on.

You will see in many previous posts I not think Morgan should be there but with lack of options I don't really know who else. I guess Anscombe would be the safer bet though after his defence two weeks ago am not sure.

Rumours are that JD is struggling to be fit so if that was the case I really don't know who would slot in at 13.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 21 Feb 2016, 8:52 am

With Allen injured it will be North I guess. Not my preference as that means crap wingers like James and Cuthbert will play.

Amos has been good and bad lately right? Usually more than enough to get you in if you're a favourite.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 21 Feb 2016, 8:55 am

How bad was Allens injury tonight? Only heard bits on the radio but didn't sound good.

Lets be honest if we went with Roberts North James and Cuthbert then France won't need a degree to work out what's coming at them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 21 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

Just reading Priestland picked up a knock as well, now whilst some will be happy wishing injury on anyone is out of order.

Could be a very patched up backline and bench next week.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 21 Feb 2016, 11:36 pm

I have a feeling that Wales are really going to turn up for this match and put France to the sword. France are trying to play a more expansive game but are experiencing far too many errors, errors in which I believe Wales will punish.

The only hope I see for France is if they are in touching distance on the 60min mark as their replacements will (like against Ireland) will have an impact if the game is close.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:52 am

Billy, we don't have wingers quick enough to do that, just look at Tom James. Good news on Priestland though, I've wanted to see Anscombe have another run at fly-half so now he might get the opportunity. Again this game will be won up front and for that I think we need Charteris.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:18 am

Teddy Thomas and Marvin O'Connor, both wingers, picked up injuries this weekend. Getting complicate now and rumour is that they will call up david smith.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:21 am

David Smith the Kiwi?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:29 am

Yep. He has been long enough here to be qualified I guess. Would just to make up numbers during training etc other sources report that state francais winger Djibril Camara has been called.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:31 am

You may not have the wingers Mikey but you certainly have the midfield to punish any French errors. Strong running centres will certainly put France on the back foot and I believe that the Welsh scrum will have dominance until the subs of France arrive.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:46 am

France are playing some good rugby at the moment. well in patches any way.

Wales on the other hand are not playing as good as i thought they would be. Lets not forget that out of the rest of the 6ns Wales have one of the most settled teams in the 6ns.Yet perfomance wise they Wales are not ( showing their true colours.)

Think France are slowly putting some moves together and starting to play like the France of old.

Wales, unless they step up their game can see France winning it, maybe at the death.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:53 am

majesticimperialman wrote:

Wales on the other hand are not playing as good as i thought they would be. Lets not forget that out of the rest of the 6ns Wales have one of the most settled teams in the 6ns.Yet perfomance wise they Wales are not ( showing their true colours.)

Snore.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 3:14 am

eirebilly wrote:You may not have the wingers Mikey but you certainly have the midfield to punish any French errors. Strong running centres will certainly put France on the back foot and I believe that the Welsh scrum will have dominance until the subs of France arrive.

I think Roberts and North will be at centre. They've played against France before and did well, but i remember this midfield being not so good in the World Cup. I think we'll have the edge in the scrums as well, even Jenkins in his fine old age can help us there for at least 10 minutes.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 22 Feb 2016, 4:04 am

Just think that the Welsh have more firepower in the backs than France mikey and I believe that the Welsh structure will break them down. Looking forward to this match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 5:48 am

Have I missed jd2 getting injured? Why would north start in the centres?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 22 Feb 2016, 8:22 am

He must have picked up a knock in the Scotland game or not long afterwards in training. Both he and Charteris are touch n go. I always expect the worst so I'm just imagining life without them. If JD2 doesn't make it, then North slots in as Allen and Tyler Morgan are also injured.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 22 Feb 2016, 9:27 am

FFR suits are a bunch of clown. They did call David Smith before finding out he was not eligible as he has one 7s cap for NZ Laugh

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 23 Feb 2016, 2:52 am

Jonathan Davies is back in training:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35629661

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 23 Feb 2016, 3:12 am

LordDowlais wrote:Jonathan Davies is back in training:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35629661

Question is, if he isnt fit and gets carried off - who comes off the bench when North switches to the center ?

Good to hear that Ballsack is back in training
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 23 Feb 2016, 3:22 am

whocares wrote:FFR suits are a bunch of clown. They did call David Smith before finding out he was not eligible as he has one 7s cap for NZ Laugh

That was brilliant.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:06 am

exile jack wrote:Lydiate for Tipuric,

Shouldn't that be Lydiate for Warburton, seeing as Warburton's been playing blindside?

exile jack wrote:I'd keep Tom J because he saved a try in Ireland

And then cancelled it out with his positioning for Tommy Seymour's try.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:38 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
exile jack wrote:Lydiate for Tipuric,

Shouldn't that be Lydiate for Warburton, seeing as Warburton's been playing blindside?

exile jack wrote:I'd keep Tom J because he saved a try in Ireland

And then cancelled it out with his positioning for Tommy Seymour's try.

Luckless,i'm an O's supporter and I love Justin T as a rugby player but i've come to the view that Wales do not play in the style that best suits his game and the one the O's play.If we were using him as a wide centre supporting player and/or in the style of a Schalk Burger i'd be happier but Wales don't.I think Sam W is the stronger more physical 7 and Dan L the better match at 6.Given the physicality the French offered the Irish i'd opt for the more physical back-row.

Wrt to Tom J it was his break that led to to that 15 minute period Wales used to turn the match around even though there may be differing views on whether or not he could/should have scored.As a general point i'd like to think that question was answered one way or another on Sean Edward's Wall of Shame.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 23 Feb 2016, 8:57 am

How do teams base their game around their No.7? Odd one that. Some people will eventually have to accept what our best back-row is.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Tue 23 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

mikey_dragon wrote:How do teams base their game around their No.7? Odd one that. Some people will eventually have to accept what our best back-row is.

Mikey,i did not mean to suggest that the team base its entire game around a 7.I see teams base their games around the balance in their back-row and the combination of breakdown skills,clearing-out,carrying ability and work-rate in attack and defence.I'm reasonably confident that Gats and his team have a library of post-match and match to match individual player performance measures so will know what elements of back-row performance are good and less good.

Wrt to Justin T my view is that at international level he is more effective in open field than in the dark places and vice versa with Sam W.Whether Wales play traditional 6 and 7 or left and right as some teams do I would prefer to see Justin linking forwards and backs,running on the shoulder of the inside or outside centre and the wingers.If of course the ball never reaches the wingers and the outside centre kicks the ball away we aren't getting the best of Justin.I would also wish to see him as a midfield distributor rather than a prop or hooker.He is a very fine player but I think Sam W is the better first man in after the tackle.Just my view.

Last edited by exile jack on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit)

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

Horses for courses, we have several talented lads to choose from and the luxury of them having different characteristics.

I think its been good for Tips to have a run in the seven shirt. He is a talented player who has proven himself at all levels.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm

exile jack wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:How do teams base their game around their No.7? Odd one that. Some people will eventually have to accept what our best back-row is.

Mikey,i did not mean to suggest that the team base its entire game around a 7.I see teams base their games around the balance in their back-row and the combination of breakdown skills,clearing-out,carrying ability and work-rate in attack and defence.I'm reasonably confident that Gats and his team have a library of post-match and match to match individual player performance measures so will know what elements of back-row performance are good and less good.

Wrt to Justin T my view is that at international level he is more effective in open field than in the dark places and vice versa with Sam W.Whether Wales play traditional 6 and 7 or left and right as some teams do I would prefer to see Justin linking forwards and backs,running on the shoulder of the inside or outside centre and the wingers.If of course the ball never reaches the wingers and the outside centre kicks the ball away we aren't getting the best of Justin.I would also wish to see him as a midfield distributor rather than a prop or hooker.He is a very fine player but I think Sam W is the better first man in after the tackle.Just my view.

exile,

Pretty fair I reckon, both are class players just different types of players which is why it's always hard and unfair to compare them against each other. If Wales want to play a more expansive game (believe it when see it) then Tipuric, much like Nuggett did will come into his own more and more but while we continue with current style Warburton is more suited to that with Tipuric offering great option off the bench if or when the game breaks up.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:12 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
exile jack wrote:

exile,

Pretty fair I reckon, both are class players just different types of players which is why it's always hard and unfair to compare them against each other.  If Wales want to play a more expansive game (believe it when see it) then Tipuric, much like Nuggett did will come into his own more and more but while we continue with current style Warburton is more suited to that with Tipuric offering great option off the bench if or when the game breaks up.

Bedford,great point about Nuggett and I wish i'd made it.I always saw Nuggett as someone who would fit naturally into an Oz backrow but not so easily into the 3 other big SH teams.There's also the debate about whether Sam W should really be playing 6 at international level.With NZ on the horizon I hope we get our choices at 6 and 7 optimal for the style of play we're taking there.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:20 pm

Big and British French pack will need some grunt to stop. I think I want to see Sam, Lyds and Toby

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 23 Feb 2016, 8:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Big and British French pack will need some grunt to stop. I think I want to see Sam, Lyds and Toby

Hope so - bring Tips on later
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 23 Feb 2016, 8:44 pm

Without Picamoles, French pack is the lightest of the 6N (assuming Atonio does not start).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 23 Feb 2016, 9:20 pm

I worried that France will exploit some of back's defensive positioning - our pack should front up.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next