The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do we still need Sunday 6N games?

+11
funnyExiledScot
HammerofThunor
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
tigertattie
LordDowlais
GLove39
LondonTiger
PenfroPete
No 7&1/2
RDW
15 posters

Go down

Do we still need Sunday 6N games? Empty Do we still need Sunday 6N games?

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 7:44 am

Is it fair that some teams have a 6 day turnaround in the 6N and others don't?

Given that we have 2 broadcasters is there really a need to split games over 2 days when it would mean one team has a shortened turnaround? Really it is just the 1st and 4th games that are affected - the others come with a rest weekend after.

1 day can make a difference, especially if you also have to travel for an away game within that week - as both Ireland and Scotland had to do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Do we still need Sunday 6N games? Empty Re: Do we still need Sunday 6N games?

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 22 Mar 2016, 7:50 am

It's really a tournament for tv so fairness doesn't come into it. I do like those Sunday games in the pub...

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 7:54 am

I'm just waiting for our Welsh friends to come on here and complain about always being given the Friday night games...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 22 Mar 2016, 8:03 am

Ha. In all fairness I've been stuck in horrendous traffic jams coming away from places like Wembley and the MS is meant to be worse so I feel their pain there. It is great though as casual fan in the sitting room. Similar to the final Saturday. It isn't really fair to have back to back games as the final team (if in the running) knows what they've got to do to win but we've got to think this is the major event which captures the casual fans attention as well.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 22 Mar 2016, 8:20 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm just waiting for our Welsh friends to come on here and complain about always being given the Friday night games...

You rang thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 9:19 am

Personally I'd take a Friday night game resulting in an 8 day turnaround over a Sunday game resulting in a 6 day turnaround any time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 22 Mar 2016, 9:20 am

I would have all the matches on Saturday, with U20s on Friday night.

Then clubs can play on Firday night and more often on Sunday with no conflict.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

LondonTiger wrote:I would have all the matches on Saturday, with U20s on Friday night.

Then clubs can play on Firday night and more often on Sunday with no conflict.

Now that is the sensible option!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:06 am

If it's Sunday's as opposed to Friday nights then yes. We're not all lucky enough to live within spitting distance of our national stadium.

5 super Saturday's in a roll would be quite something, almost punishing! But I'd probably see a lot less of the action that way on match days at murrayfield.
Personally quite enjoy having a Sunday game as a pick me up after Saturday.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:10 am

GLove39 wrote:If it's Sunday's as opposed to Friday nights then yes. We're not all lucky enough to live within spitting distance of our national stadium.

5 super Saturday's in a roll would be quite something, almost punishing! But I'd probably see a lot less of the action that way on match days at murrayfield.
Personally quite enjoy having a Sunday game as a pick me up after Saturday.

I'm not saying ban all Sunday games - you can have them in rounds 2 and 3 without disadvantaging any of the teams given the rest week after.

I just don't think there should be any reason why some teams have 6 day turnarounds when other don't!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm just waiting for our Welsh friends to come on here and complain about always being given the Friday night games...

Does the Friday game always happen on the same weekend, e.g. after a 2 week break? If not, couldn't you still have the same problem with the short turnaround if you played on a Saturday (or even a Sunday) and your next game is Friday?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:32 am

Well when you have to feck around trying to get to a Friday night game then you can make silly comments like this. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:33 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Well when you have to feck around trying to get to a Friday night game then you can make silly comments like this. Very Happy

It was made in jest of course! Hug

I don't think Murrayfield would be too bad for a Friday night game as it is walking distance from some real transporttation hotspots, but it certainly wouldn't be the same experience for the fans (i.e. getting pished from 10am).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Personally I'd take a Friday night game resulting in an 8 day turnaround over a Sunday game resulting in a 6 day turnaround any time!

lets just think about this for a while Mr Winger!................................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Personally I'd take a Friday night game resulting in an 8 day turnaround over a Sunday game resulting in a 6 day turnaround any time!

What about a Friday night game leading to a 5 day turn around (previously played on a Sunday), as opposed to a Sunday with a 8 day turnaround (playing the previous Saturday)?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

I can't help but think people are starting to take the urine...

My whole point is that it surely can't be that difficult to schedule a tournament so no team has to have a 6 day turnaround.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:48 am

I would have no problem with a Friday night game if it was played on a Saturday afternoon. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:18 am

Get it right at least.

We are not given them at all the Worst Run Union agreed to them so its only them to blame.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:30 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I can't help but think people are starting to take the urine...

My whole point is that it surely can't be that difficult to schedule a tournament so no team has to have a 6 day turnaround.

Well it's impossible to do it and keep the broadcasters happy. They're not going to be happy having conflict with other 6N games as people tend to watch all the games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:34 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I can't help but think people are starting to take the urine...

Well it's impossible to do it and keep the broadcasters happy.  They're not going to be happy having conflict with other 6N games as people tend to watch all the games.

They manage on Super Saturday just fine.

So my proposal:

Week 1 - All Saturday
Week 2 - 1 Sunday game

Break

Week 3 - 1 Sunday game

Break

Week 4 - All Saturday
Week 5 - All Saturday

So instead of 1 Super Saturday there would be 3! There used to be on in the middle game of the championship.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

I would prefer all the games on a Saturday personally, with U20s on the Friday.

Travelling to Sunday games is a total pain.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:53 pm

As someone who hates rest weekends. I'd consider two games a week for 6 weeks and Super Saturday. Then you could have a Saturday afternoon and evening kickoff, Under-20s on the Friday etc.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by kilo-doug Tue 22 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

Following the hangovers that were being nursed by myself, the mrs and half of my colleagues on the Monday after Scotland v France I'd quite happily have 5 Super Saturdays

kilo-doug

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:06 pm

I'd cut out the rest weekends first before making changes to Sundays.

It should be 5 weekends in a row to make it more equitable for France and Italy.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:38 am

Pot Hale wrote:I'd cut out the rest weekends first before making changes to Sundays.

It should be 5 weekends in a row to make it more equitable for France and Italy.

What do you mean by that?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:00 pm

I've been to 2 Sunday matches this year (Ireland Wales, and Scotland France) and both games were extremely dull to be in the stands of.

No offence to either home crowd, but both were subdued, quiet and boring, even when the Scottish crowd got behind their team for periods second half it was half hearted, then leaving Murrayfield was eery quiet, thousands of people and not a murmer between them.

Saturdays are obviously ideal, but give me Friday night headaches any day of the week, at least when you go to the hassle of having to get there, and away it's worth it for the atmosphere and fun!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:03 pm

Fanster wrote:I've been to 2 Sunday matches this year (Ireland Wales, and Scotland France) and both games were extremely dull to be in the stands of.

No offence to either home crowd, but both were subdued, quiet and boring, even when the Scottish crowd got behind their team for perriods second half it was half hearted, then leaving Murrayfield was eery quiet, thousands of people and not a murmer between them.

Saturdays are obviously ideal, but give me Friday night headaches any day of the week, at least when you go to the hassle of having to get there, and away it's worth it for the atmosphere and fun!

Having been at the Scotland France game I have to disagree - it was the best atmosphere at a Scotland game in a long time and that isn't a negative comment.Especially at the end when the crowd was so noisy it was drowning out the players being interviewed over the PA!

You're never going to get constant noise and chanting at Murrayfield but over the course of the game and especially at the end the atmosphere was excellent.

We had just won a game at home for the first time in ages!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:54 pm

Fanster wrote:I've been to 2 Sunday matches this year (Ireland Wales, and Scotland France) and both games were extremely dull to be in the stands of.

No offence to either home crowd, but both were subdued, quiet and boring, even when the Scottish crowd got behind their team for periods second half it was half hearted, then leaving Murrayfield was eery quiet, thousands of people and not a murmer between them.

I posted something similar about the Dragons on a Pro12 thread last year when we had 14 Sunday games (not all at home). The crowd is subdued, people are less inclined to 'party', beer sales would probably reduced so takings and therefore revenue would be down, etc. The response I got back was along the lines of 'if you lot need the beer of Friday and Saturday games to have a good time and generate an atmosphere then you've got issues', or words to that effect. A number of Irish provincial fans stated they would prefer all Sunday club games. Yet it seems to be disliked for the 6N games. Odd. I reckon some people don't like OTHER people not liking Sunday games, when in reality they don't like them themselves either Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Thu 24 Mar 2016, 6:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

No offence to either home crowd, but both were subdued, quiet and boring, even when the Scottish crowd got behind their team for perriods second half it was half hearted, then leaving Murrayfield was eery quiet, thousands of people and not a murmer between them.

Having been at the Scotland France game I have to disagree - it was the best atmosphere at a Scotland game in a long time and that isn't a negative comment.Especially at the end when the crowd was so noisy it was drowning out the players being interviewed over the PA!

You're never going to get constant noise and chanting at Murrayfield but over the course of the game and especially at the end the atmosphere was excellent.

We had just won a game at home for the first time in ages!

I've been to see Scotland at Murrayfield 8 times, 4 of which were with Wales, and 7 were saturdays, this was my first Sunday at Murrayfield and 4th as a neutral...

During the second half things got better, especially after that Visser try, but 4/5 mins to go and the queue to leave got pretty heavy (I'll admit I was part of it, my hangover got me good), and walking toward Aldi where i'd parked the car was deathly quiet, a group of Scots were joking it was like a 'fart at a funeral', everyone wanted to erupt but noone would.

The other times I've been to Murrayfield were so much better, possibly as I was drunk on 4 occasions, but my point was not to slate Scottish fans, but the subdued atmosphere of the Sunday. Like the Aviva was, and I'm willing to bet like every other stadium is on a Sunday.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down