The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday

+14
superochog
Mad for Chelsea
Amazon
lydian
purplerain
cats_r_cool
Haddie-nuff
legendkillar
yloponom68
Wooffie
tennisluvver
denzilsmom
AFCWomble42
rafandready
18 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 Empty Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday

Post by rafandready Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

That’s the game: sometimes you win; sometimes you lose

Least said, soonest mended eh?

So we break up for our summer holidays and reflect on Rafa's half-year success that in any other season would be world-beating – a slam, a masters, a 500, another Wimbledon final and 4 other masters finals. Not Wimbledon Champion, not World No 1, but still leading every other player (other than he who must not be named) by a country mile.

Now is the time for mid-season conditioning, running repairs and riding around on a jet-ski in the Mediterranean. While I have used up nearly all my annual leave and have to start putting in the hard work <doom>. I know what I'd rather be doing.

The Montreal Masters starts on 8 August so we can reconvene in a mere 5 weeks and let's hope for more of the same…and Rafa – next time you win the toss against Djokovic – please choose to serve first, noh?

Vamos!

Last edited by rafandready on Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:11 am; edited 4 times in total
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 Empty Re: Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday

Post by denzilsmom Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

Well done Roger.....really good match, and experience paid off. But you have to say Djoko's huge run had to come to an end soon.

Its the difference between playing a weekly tourny and a slam....totally different animals, and whatever happens on Sunday, Rafa and Roger have masses of experience to call on.

thumbsup

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 Empty Re: Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday

Post by cats_r_cool Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:43 pm

Yahoo What a fantastic match. I started to doubt Roger in the 4th and reckoned if he lost that then Novak would come back tomorrow and win easily.

Great match by both guys clap

Whilst I would have loved Rafa to have been the one to break 'The Streak' it's almost fitting that it should be Fed. Not sure why I think that though. Maybe the irony of Roger protecting the ranking of the guy who knocked him off the top spot.

Does Rafa stay no. 1 even if he loses in the final?

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:48 pm

I don't think so Cats. I think he has to win to keep hold of it.

But he still IS the Number 1 player in the World!! Going for his 6th French Open.

What an amazing day of tennis. VAMOS RAFA!!!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:52 pm

It's days like this that makes me realise why I love this game sooooo much heart

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:53 pm

Crying or Very sad I thought he kept it a long as he made the final and Djoko didn't - where is Stealth when you need him?

But who cares! He IS still no. 1, he's in the final and it's his birthday. Life is good Yahoo

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

Some great tennis, not up to best from either player but I think both are to be congratulated, though Murray will just now, be feeling rather disappointed.

When he thinks that his tournament was nearly over a few matches ago, and that he has not played to his highest level, it's a good accomplishment.

Nadal, has shown his quality. Playing well below form, he scrapped and fought, and now he's in the final. Two months ago, anything less thana win, for me, woudl have been a failure, but now, whatever happens, I feel that it's OK. To lose before semis is a dreaful failure for someone of his quality unless there's an injury or extenuating circumstances, so this is great.

Just finished the other semi, and whilst it was a battle, and could have turned on a dime, I have felt from Day 1, that Federer would be the one to take Djokovic out in the semis - so well done Federer! Great match, held his nerve and went for it.

Now we have Nadal v Federer V - having had a "break" of two years, down to the Soderling "interruption!

Nadal will have to turn it up a level or two for this final, and I think Roger is playing well and more importantly, believes he belongs here and has more than enough belief to win. Perhaps more than in his "heyday," with what's been going on with Rafa as of late.

Kind of strange to think that having made the final in his last 7 tournaments, that he could be on the precipice of losing his World No 1 ranking; problem is four of those final losses have all been to the Serbinator!

It will now be interesting to see how Djokovic does inthe grass court "run."

I think he won't necessarily run up another big "loss free" run, but he's definitely "arrived," interms of his matured game, and "presence" in the Men's Game.

So we have a Day to enjoy a quite eclectic Women's Final, and then comes Nadal v Federer V at Roland Garros!! What a treat, so many people thought we would never see this, but here we are!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by tennisluvver Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Great match from Roger! My dad in shock that I cheered for the Fed.
Hoping now for a great final. -and a Rafa win, obviously. Very Happy
tennisluvver
tennisluvver

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:02 pm

World No 1 ranking....Nadal MUST WIN and Djokovic NOT make the final, for Nadal to continue next Monday as World No 1.

If Nadal loses the final, Djokovic still "ascends" that particular "Throne!"

So Federer has stopped Djokovic for two days, but can also put him back there in two more days!

Rafa doesn't give a hoo-haa about that ranking right now - he wants his 6th French Open, and 10th Major Singles title. The rannking will come with the biggest of titles.

Just a turn of numbers that having reached all TMS finals this season, Nadal is still that close to losing. But it goes to show that, with Nadal holding three majors, he could have already lost that ranking, had Djokovic made the final. Shows how amazing Djokovic has been, and how high Nadal's point count had been, for his to still be nearly No 2, having made all those finals in TMS events.

To have beaten Djokovic in final, thus holding 3 Major singles titles and yet, he World No 2 - it's kind of the opposite of the conundrum that the Women's game is having right now.

Anyway, today's "work" is done. Let's enjoy Schiavone v Li tomorrow, and then with baited breath, await Sunday's battle!

Vamos Rafa!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

Dresdten to the rescue. Yup, Rafa needs to win to maintain a small lead at the top.

So, who do we want to win the women's final. I'm going for Li Na (Na Li?). I really like her game and she's got a great personality. Having said that, won't be devastated if Franny wins again, another great player and character.

Angie Hug I think millions of Rafa fans worldwide were cheering for Roger tonight laughing

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:51 pm

Evening again all lovely Rafateers!! Hug

And welcome back ylopomonom Hug Great to have you and purplerain on here to chat too because there's so much excitement over the next few weeks. Lovely posts. thumbsup

Indeed ... what a treat is in store for us with Sunday's final, and yet another final this year for Rafa. Look, I don't hide that I've not been a Roger fan over the years, but I think like the old fool I am, the closer you get to a particular piece of tennis history being over, the more appreciative I feel about it. There is no doubt that Djokovic is one of the main players now, but what we saw tonight was every inch of Roger's nous and experience. All those years of tight matches and tension he drew on ... and to be honest, I never thought I would see him in another French Open final again ... yet there he is with our Rafa.

And frankly ... I fully expect it to go all the way. I think the good thing about Rafa is that he would never, ever be complacent about Roger, regardless of his record against him. Feds has been playing so well this tournament and Rafa not so, but what the hell ... its all bets off now and I fully expect to be feeling sicker than I have in a long while on Sunday.

I just hope with all hope that Rafa can make us prouder of him, if that is ever possible, by matching Borg's record and moving into double digits in Slam terms. As Denzy said, today shows why we love that game so much. To go through the mill for 3 hours watching Rafa and then mesmerized from another match that also took hours and had everything in it is fantastic. Well done to everyone today, but of course ... VAMOS RAFA!!!!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 04 Jun 2011, 7:47 am

I have always enjoyed a Fedal final (like you Woofs never been much of a Fed fan) but hey I did admire him yesterday.. I didnt think he would pull that one off.. and looking at it from the selfish viewpoint I think Rafa would sooner play Roger ..Novak got to him I think over recent weeks.. I think Rafa may be more relaxed on court against Roger and hopefully rid himself completely of some of the issues that appear of late to have inhibited him and sapped his confidence. But he played well against Andy (wobbled a bit in the second) but he held on. What a great Birthday present. We know he can do it so Vamos Rafa lets have No.10

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:15 am

Good morning Rafateers Hug

Little video clipof Rafa and Murray in the locker room after the match

Everyone feeling yikesy? Shocked Reading around it seems the weather forecast for Paris today is rain/showers, depending on where you look. Rats! I hope the match at least gets started on time.

Vamos Rafa!
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by AFCWomble42 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

Yes, indeed, I'm feeling very yikesy, Rafan. Half of me doesn't want to watch - just wake me up when it's all over. I will put myself through it, though and will try and remember that we can only ask that he does his best.

Good luck, Rafa. YOU CAN DO IT !!!

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

Hi everyone Hug

I'm strangely calm at the moment, but that's probably due to emotional overload the past couple of days (well, actually the whole tournament really). Sure the nerves will kick in once the match starts Shocked

Who really thought after the 1st round that we would be here on the 2nd Sunday cheering our boy on?

I'm going to be banished to the bedroom (Mr C been working hard on the painting so I'll forgive him this once) so won't be on line so catch you after the match.

Good luck Rafa (sorry Roger, love you for the other day but normal service is now resumed).

Last edited by cats_r_cool on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo - obviously more nervous than I am admitting!)

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:20 pm

Ive got a G & T lined up for any tricky moments... Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 1479719350

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

Roger's going to feel the love here - any news on the Paris weather?

Come on RRRRAAAFFA!
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

Hi all lovely Rafateers! Hug

Here's hoping for a good one and a Rafa victoree ...

We're all rooting for him, come on Rafa ... DO it!!! :run1:
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

ALLEZ RAFA !!!!!!!!!!!

(feel sick now) Shocked
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by tennisluvver Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:16 pm

Wooffie wrote:(feel sick now) Shocked

Me too, Wooffie, me too!!!
tennisluvver
tennisluvver

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

Hey guys. Watching the game. Rafa looked down and out after being 3-0 and it's amazing how he has pulled it back. I have come to this thread because of the utter nonsense being spoken on the main thread.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Hi Legend ... trouble is we all talk together on gmail during Rafa's matches to support each other so we won't be posting on here. I'm not even going to look at the match thread then. Sorry if its rubbish cos all anybody really wants is just to talk tennis. I just don't understand why there has to be all this utter claptrap that spoils it for the average tennis fan.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

Thats ok Woofie. I shall try and survive on the match thread. Well played Rafa though for turning this match around. Enjoy the match

Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

Thanks legend Hug
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Well done Rafa, so happy for the victory! There were some really tough moments when Roger stepped it up.

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

I just don't know what else to say! Hands up who else had a weep at the end.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

Cats kiss not quite but nearly! Still waiting for it to sink in Very Happy
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

Cry Thrilled for Rafa. Perhaps not the classic match, but who cares??

6 French Opens
10 Grand Slams
The Number 1

You truly are the finest of Champions and we are all so proud of you.

VAMOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

10 slams Yahoo

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:44 pm

That's right ... TEN.

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN

TEN
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by AFCWomble42 Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:47 pm

Oh my goodness. Well done to our boy. I was so, so nervous and was swearing badly (sounded a bit like Andy M) at the Paris weather at the end of the 2nd set. Very worried at the end of the 3rd, but I really need to have more faith. He's so good at blocking out what has gone before.

Have to say Roger acted with real class today, BUT VAMOS RAFA !!!!

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:49 pm

Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 479796 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 OMG I LUVS YAH RAFA !!!!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:58 pm

I reckon you're quite chuffed HaddieNuff....a great win indeed!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

Chuffed to little pieces .... what a boy Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

I think getting to double digits is an amazing, amazing thing for this player who only turned 25 two days ago.

Never, ever did I believe when I first started watching him in 2005 that he would turn into the player he is, and the wonderful champion he is also.

He is, of course, a clay courter the likes of which we have only seen once before, but a 10th Slam ... absolutely outstanding!!

Bravo Rafa ... our Champion clap clap clap
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 05 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

Indeed...and infact not just a great claycourter but great tennis player all round. I remember watching him in his first televised match on Eurosport, in early 2003 when he was 16 and thinking boy this lad can play...and the commentator (think it was Petchy) said this player could be a future #1...how right they were hey? 12 months later he beat Federer on hardcourt and the tennis world knew they were witnessing something special. Bravo indeed....!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by tennisluvver Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm

Good evening Rafateers Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663 , and visitors Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 769663

Still smiling! Very Happy Very Happy

Have just re-watched the 4th set (having been rudely interrupted by a phone call at the time), and my goodness, didn't our boy lift his game!

What a truly great champion he is. Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 1710857839

Cats, didn't quite weep, but pretty damn close to it!

Thank goodness a few stress-free days now, before we get to do it all again!
tennisluvver
tennisluvver

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

Quite Lydian. To watch the progression of Rafa over the years, and the work he's had to put in to be successful off clay, to win Slams on the hardcourts, and to now be matching records such as winning a Slam for the 6th time, to be a Career Grand Slam champion. Fabulous, fabulous.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:30 pm

Good evening all my luvverly Rafateers Hug

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo What more can I say Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Congratulations Rafa..... kiss you are indeed our hero.....and we loves the bones of you heart

To all Rafateers...thank you all for being around Hug oh it makes life easier Very Happy

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

Rafateers Hug

How about some pictures!!! Smile

WE

LOVE

RAFA

I find it very interesting that Rafa covered himself in the Spanish flag to be photographed with the trophy. VAMOS!!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

What a lovely boy ... viva España Rafa and Vamos Rafatennis Part III - We're all going on a summer holiday - Page 3 291114

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

Lovely photos of a lovely lovely boy heart ...think it's just starting to sink in now.

Spanish flag eh....

king Rafa

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

Have you seen the pictures of Rafa in the locker room afterwards? He looks absolutely done in!
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

No Rafan....where?

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

I really think he is spent you know, he's had such a hard mental time for the past 2-3 months and his run is also remarkable, since AO he's got to the final or won every event he's entered. The strain of winning FO, and by lord you felt he needed that to rescue in his own perspective his clay season, was palpable. I think winning more FOs in the future may be easier now as he's at least equalled Borg now. Plus this event has pushed him more than normal due to being out of form...I mean 5 sets to Isner? Its been a long hard slog and I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled out of Queens...but then he may want to fight for #1 and keep going...its risky entering SW19 without a grass event beforehand. He is really is one hell of a competitor...and he's able to win slams when not his best, a quality all the greats have. Bravo!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:10 pm

Tired

Champion

rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

I think the boy is spent ... the locker room pictures are here and here

You can only imagine what the mental and physical exertions have been like. This has been such a tough time for Rafa.

I think he will just go to Queens and do his best, Lydian. It was only 2008 that he did things there and he's entered the doubles with Marc! so I think he just wants to grass practice but will be happen to go home as soon as he can.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

Hi Lydian...am so pleased you're still around Very Happy

Rafa may do what he did last year, go to Queens and get a couple of matches under his belt, and then bow out to go home for a few extra days.

I wouldn't be surprise tho if he did pull out, (his foot looked pretty sore) and it may be a wise decision.....Wimbledon is too important, and you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll want to be as fit as possible for that.

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

Well, he's down to play singles and doubles at Queens - I'm sure he won't push himself to his limit, same as last year, but he'll want to feel the grass under his feet. Last year he turned up Monday afternoon to hit a few balls Shocked

There's a great doubles match tomorrow, Delpo and Stepanek v Nalby and Roddick.

Feli is also in first round action.
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

laughing Rafan ... dual post.

The poor guy looks absolutely exhausted.

Aww ... this quote is from Twitter ... heart him ...

"I'm not the best player in the history of tennis but I'm amongst the best & that's enough for me"
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:16 pm

OMG he looks cream crackered poor kid

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next