The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid)

4 posters

Go down

Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid) Empty Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid)

Post by hawkeye Fri 08 Apr 2016, 12:12 am

Jahu was talking about this on another thread and I was interested enough to check on the ATP site to see where the top 20 have chosen to live. Funny the country they have chosen to live in doesn't often match the flag next to their picture on the same site.

Djokovic - Monte Carlo
Murray - England
Federer - Switzerland
Wawrinka - Switzerland
Nadal - Spain
Nishikori - Florida USA
Berdych - Monte Carlo
Ferrer - Spain
Tsonga - Switzerland
Gasquet - Switzerland
Cilic - Monte Carlo
Raonic - Monte Carlo
Goffin - Belgium
Thiem - Austria
Isner - Florida USA
Monfils - Switzerland
Bautista Agut - Spain
Simon - Switzerland
Kyrgios - Australia

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid) Empty Re: Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid)

Post by Henman Bill Fri 08 Apr 2016, 1:33 am

Don't blame French players for not living in France, their tax rate is ridiculous. When you are in a country that taxes at 40%, and you slink off to Panama, shame on you but if the tax rate is 70% then shame on the government.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid) Empty Re: Top 20's place of residence (not a lot of tax being paid)

Post by socal1976 Fri 08 Apr 2016, 1:51 am

Yeah, I don't blame any of them. An athlete is not like a business where you can earn money for a lifetime or generations. They have a limited time to make a lot of money and have to be able to retain it. Especially considering how fickle their business is. The entities that are really outrageous are the multimational businesses. How they make billions in America or Europe and then claim they are headquartered in Dubai or the cayman Islands to get out of paying Corporate taxes. What these guys are doing is understandable and isn't one millionth the sum of corporate tax avoidance.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 08 Apr 2016, 1:53 am

PS good thread HE, finally you put your feverish diabolical mind to some good. I'll be sweet to you if you don't do anymore "he has a lot to learn threads" lol.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Apr 2016, 8:57 am

Is prize money taxed? Wouldn't it be taxed in the tournament location if it were taxed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 08 Apr 2016, 11:46 am

There is/was a rule in the UK which taxed athletes a % of ALL of their earnings pro-rated to the amount of time they spent in the UK throughout the year.

I think it is why Rafa stopped playing Queens, because with Queens & Wimbledon he would be in the UK for around a month and therefore would have 1/12th of his total income taxed by the HMRC.

It was certainly something that stopped Usain Bolt racing at a meeting in London or Birmingham in the Olympic year.

This rule may have been relaxed now.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 08 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm

Fair enough to slink off but should they still be cheered for based on the country they have now chosen to live in or based on the country they have made their home. Personally I don't support players because of the country who's flag they wave but I am aware that many do. Not sure how that works?

Jahu mentioned on the other thread that Murray spends part of his year based in Miami and this reduces the amount of tax he pays in Britain. I don't know if that's true? If so how does that work because I would have thought he would still be taxed based on where he lives not where he trains. Also I wonder how long for example Djokovic has to spend in Monte Carlo to have his tax status there. I believe he does visit Serbia? How long is he allowed for "visits" to Serbia and still maintain his residence in Monte Carlo? Or does he have to pay tax in Serbia for the time he visits. Similar with other players. They do spend a lot of time traveling so I just wonder how long they have to spend at what they call their "home"?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down