The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monte Carlo Masters

+24
TRuffin
kingraf
hawkeye
JuliusHMarx
Mad for Chelsea
Jahu
laverfan
Matchpoint
bogbrush
banbrotam
temporary21
Jermaine2015
Belovedluckyboy
CAS
CaledonianCraig
Danny_1982
Guest82
sirfredperry
socal1976
Haddie-nuff
Born Slippy
summerblues
LuvSports!
YvonneT
28 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Monte Carlo Masters - Page 6 Empty Monte Carlo Masters

Post by YvonneT Sat 09 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

The draw is out for the third Masters tournament of the year:
http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/410/mds.pdf

Quarter finals if the top 8 seeds make it through:
Djokovic - Ferrer
Federer - Tsonga
Wawrinka - Nadal
Berdych - Murray

Federer opens against Bellucci or Garcia Lopez then likely Bautista Agut to get to the quarters. Not too bad a test after 2 months off.

Nadal has a really tough draw - probably R2 Rosol, R3 Thiem, QF Wawrinka (or Simon/Dimitrov), SF Murray (or Berdych/Raonic). If he can make it through that lot to the final, perhaps he will have the form to beat Djokovic there.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Monte Carlo Masters - Page 6 Empty Re: Monte Carlo Masters

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 2:13 am

As for the final I think Monfils will give him more trouble than people think. Rafa is the favorite but Monfils can play on clay and he doesn't look to be as batty in his decision making this year under his new coach.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 2:19 am

Henman Bill wrote:It's where Nadal falls in the draw that's most of interest, especially if he is seeded 5 rather than 4.

9 out of 10 he falls into Djokovic's quarter the French have been known to cupcake up Roger's draws for him, they are notorious, might as well have Mirka do the draw.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 17 Apr 2016, 2:37 am

socal1976 wrote:9 out of 10 he falls into Djokovic's quarter the French have been known to cupcake up Roger's draws for him, they are notorious, might as well have Mirka do the draw.

1/10 he does not. Laugh You need to sharpen the hatchet a bit. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 3:08 am

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote:9 out of 10 he falls into Djokovic's quarter the French have been known to cupcake up Roger's draws for him, they are notorious, might as well have Mirka do the draw.

1/10 he does not. Laugh You need to sharpen the hatchet a bit. Run

Yeah, not my favorite set of fans or my favorite tournament organization. They screw Novak with scheduling, their fans are rude only topped in rudeness by New Yorkers. They will have Novak play one day till 200 am then they will play next match bright and early 1100 am. I think they will bring Fat Dave out of retirement with a wild card to be Fed's first round match, they will have to rent a heavy duty crane though to get him onto the court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 17 Apr 2016, 3:20 am

socal1976 wrote:and he doesn't look to be as batty in his decision making this year under his new coach.
Some people are pretty mature as teenagers, while others may not mature until well into their twenties.  In real life, it does not make that much difference - plenty of time to make up for it.  But in sports, it may be a pretty big shame when by the time a player finally starts to get serious about their game they are (almost) too old to succeed.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 3:24 am

summerblues wrote:
socal1976 wrote:and he doesn't look to be as batty in his decision making this year under his new coach.
Some people are pretty mature as teenagers, while others may not mature until well into their twenties.  In real life, it does not make that much difference - plenty of time to make up for it.  But in sports, it may be a pretty big shame when by the time a player finally starts to get serious about their game they are (almost) too old to succeed.

I agree that is why I have often called him the biggest underachiever on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:15 am

socal1976 wrote:Now that Djokovic lost and Nadal is playing well again is it safe to comment on him without Rafa's famously acid-tongued Momma Bear on this site clawing our eyes out for making benign observations?

Hey Baby Bear whose been sitting in MY chair  ?????? Whistle

Haven't had a chance to comment since I record all these matches. Really enjoyed Fed v. Tsonga I thought Fed played pretty well despite losing. Murray let himself down but you have to hand it to Nadal he really did up his level of aggression in the second set. Rafa is trusting his BH more and in particular I was impressed with his down the line BH. Every time he used it he hurt Murray. That shot along with Rafa's first serve is going to be crucial for him to retooling his game. That is the shot that this going to help him either win the point out right by hitting into the open space righties leave on their FH side or it will force the RH to hit the next ball to Rafa's BH. In effect, a good BH down the line for Rafa will set up his running FH on the next ball and he won't need to do as much work constantly selling out his court positions to generate a FH.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 7:44 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Now that Djokovic lost and Nadal is playing well again is it safe to comment on him without Rafa's famously acid-tongued Momma Bear on this site clawing our eyes out for making benign observations?

Haven't had a chance to comment since I record all these matches. Really enjoyed Fed v. Tsonga I thought Fed played pretty well despite losing. Murray let himself down but you have to hand it to Nadal he really did up his level of aggression in the second set. Rafa is trusting his BH more and in particular I was impressed with his down the line BH. Every time he used it he hurt Murray. That shot along with Rafa's first serve is going to be crucial for him to retooling his game. That is the shot that this going to help him either win the point out right by hitting into the open space righties leave on their FH side or it will force the RH to hit the next ball to Rafa's BH. In effect, a good BH down the line for Rafa will set up his running FH on the next ball and he won't need to do as much work constantly selling out his court positions to generate a FH.

I am glad you are in a good mood, I was worried about you for awhile. I hope Rafa wins despite your rather short tempered behavior recently I have no problem with Rafa and would like to see him take his rightful place as number 2.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 7:50 am

PS I made an error, Rafa's Bh down the line will force the right hander to hit to his FH on the next ball (not sic BH). Thanks for quoting me I saw my mistake crossing up BH and FH.

The point is that if Rafa can hit an effective down the line BH, he will hurt right handers with it just like Djokovic hurts the lefty Nadal with his down the line BH. Additionally, if he doesn't win the point out right it will force the right hander to hit to Nadal's FH in the open court. In short, instead of running around his BH relentlessly to hit FHs, he can hit those FHs without running around if he hits a good BH down the line.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:07 am

socal1976 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:

I am glad you are in a good mood, I was worried about you for awhile. I hope Rafa wins despite your rather short tempered behavior recently I have no problem with Rafa and would like to see him take his rightful place as number 2.

I have no axe to grind with you socal..we have had our exchanges in the past. You might choose to call it short tempered, rather impatience, and it is
because you so often display  intolerance to those who may not be able to grasp the more technical aspects of tennis like me;  but it does not stop me being entitled to an opinion. Wink

I'm more than relieved to see such a change in Rafa .. not least because the tour needs him as much as his fans.
Hopefully the rest of the season will be a little more competitive and we will see the rivalry return Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:25 am

Good post Haddie, I don't have an axe to grind with you, I just hope you will appreciate that my views are not based on a dislike for either Nadal and his fans, I only have room for dislike of a certain swoosh wearing pomposity. But even in regards to Fed, my analysis of the game is grounded in what I see, I can make mistakes like anyone but I am not here to get at nadal or his fans. Good on Nadal, if he plays like he has this week he will certainly extend his relevance in the game and remain a threat especially on clay.

Two keys for me in regards to Nadal getting back to the top. He has to hit the BH up the line well and has to get a little more out of his first serve.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:24 am

OK New beginnings socal Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 3:01 pm

Nadal takes the first. Fantastic set from both. Monfils just looks like hes gassed himself

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:03 pm

Second to Monfils. Both playing brilliantly

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:33 pm

Rafa wins Monte Carlo! Massive win and huge effort. What a shot in match point! Showing that ideas of being half the player with no power left are way way wide of the mark. On clay, he's still a huge force

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:36 pm

Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:53 pm

What an incredible win for Rafa against an incredible opponent who was firing on all four cylinders. Credit to both of them .. what a match. If their racquets had been swords it would have been a blood bath.
Thanks Gael you were fantastic you just make us realise what a force you could have been had you not wasted so much of your talent.
Onwards and upwards Rafa .. new beginnings

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:09 pm

That is Rafa's biggest win in well over a year and fuels hope that he can get back to where he once was in the sport. Very good tournament for Monfils as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:16 pm

Both guys come out a million dollars here. The standard for two sets was amazing. In the third Rafa found that fabled "goat" gear and pulled away, but it takes nothing away from le Monf

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:03 pm

So happy for Rafa! Hope this win can give him a great boost to his confidence. Monfils played really well, unbelievable rallies, FHs and BHs from him, amazing! Hope he makes the top ten again this season.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:24 pm

Good win for Nadal. clap

La Monf could have put up better fight in the third set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:54 pm

Rafa just doubled his YTD earnings in a week. Tough lives these tennis paupers lead
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Apr 2016, 8:55 pm

Rafa just doubled his YTD earnings in a week. Tough lives these tennis paupers lead
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

Rafa did what he needed to do to put some pressure on Djokovic. If he continues like this between now and RG, it will put some thoughts into Nole's head, and even if he does not beat Nole before RG, Nole will feel the pressure in Paris.

Last year Nole was miles ahead of Rafa in their RG match, and still was a nervous wreck for 1.5 sets.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:30 pm

Its going to come down to Nadal hitting the BH down the line well and getting some free points on first serve. On clay he is going to struggle to do that but he has to be able to especially on the quick surfaces to get some penetration on the first serve.

I think this win says that the FO will not be a Djokovic coronation. I think Djokovic is not going to Madrid either, at least that would be the smart play. Not to give Nadal the opportunity to have a shot at you on his home court. If Novak plays Rome he will get deep enough to go to RG in match form. He has to think about the crazy summer with the Olympics, Wimby, and USO following in rapid succession. He has to try to peak just for those 4 events.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 17 Apr 2016, 9:36 pm

You think Djokovic can go to RG without trying to win at least one of Madrid or Rome? I think he will definitely try to win Rome, and maybe both Rome and Madrid.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm

Madrid is not a typical clay court...hence Murray vs Nadal last year.
Its a faster court so Djokovic will play it...especially going out early at MC.

I need to see Rafa win another title preRG to install him as anywhere near ready to challenge Djokovic. The interesting point here is that Djokovic seems more vulnerable to other players than before so its not impossible that Rafa doesnt have to go through Djokovic to win RG (like Fed didnt have to vs Rafa in 2009).

Anyway, great win today...he seems to be much stronger in the clutch now and that FH is realky starting to fire again.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:26 am

Yep, the difference I see in Rafa here is that he's so clutch saving all those BPs, esp in that Thiem match. At crucial moments, he's able to stay calm more often than he did last year, a sign of him overcoming his anxiety problem. He's able to think his way out of troubles and not pannicking all through this tournament, though its obvious he was nervous during the final and lost serves so many times, DFg and serving poorly, understandable as this was his first Masters final in almost a year, since Madrid 2015. The title here meant so much to him, as he used MC so often to reset his career - in 2010 after a poor 2009; in 2012 to reverse a losing trend against Djoko.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:19 am

Why would Novak play Madrid at all considering that this year we have the Olympics coming and the meat of the 4 big tournaments coming in the two or three months? As Lydian said it isn't like Madrid is particularly helpful to preparing you for RG, the conditions and speed of court difference is such that you probably would prepare better for RG by not playing it. Plus it will help him if he is very well rested as I think a lot of players are going to break down physically from the grind of the Olympic year and traveling from Europe to South America to North America in such a short turnaround.

If he goes to Rome the conditions most resemble Paris, maybe Rome is a little quicker, Monaco a little slower. I mean I doubt he will get knocked out first match and at the early rounds of RG he is going to almost certainly be able to play himself into form with a couple of easy 5 set matches. I mean he has won Wimbeldon three times without any warm up and this whole time he will be hitting on the clay. I am not suggesting he hang up his racquet for the next two weeks but he shouldn't go to Madrid.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:24 am

He played exho matches on grass before the Wimbledon, so its not that he had no warm up matches on grass!

Im sure Djoko would practice on clay in MC so its not like he will be ill prepared for the FO. I find it strange too that he's going to Madrid. He only won Madrid once and had not so great results there - SF, QF and R2 in the other three years when he was there.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 18 Apr 2016, 12:36 pm

Well done to Rafa, good come back to win on Djokos fake home turf Laugh

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down