The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Socal's Watchable 20

3 posters

Go down

Socal's Watchable 20 Empty Socal's Watchable 20

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm

Interestingly, we have had a lot of discussion as to the quality of the ATP product minus fedal and whether the game is producing the kind of exciting talent that has always kept tennis fans engaged in the tour. The following list IS NOT IN ANY ORDER I JUST CHOSE TO NUMBER THE LIST BUT NO ONE IS THE MOST WATCHABLE OR LEAST WATCHABLE, at least that is not my goal on this thread to put them in descending order. Like a media guide I will try to just give a quick rundown of what I like to watch in these players. And maybe you guys can give your views as to whether you find these players watchable or enjoyable or ones that should or should not make the list. The criteria is that you are not a big 4 player because this is more about the whole tour than just a couple of big names. Some of the guys are really highly ranked and accomplished, others are prospects or just dangerous shot makers. The lowest ranked guys like Brown and Jerzy are just outside the top 100

1. Stan Wawrinka: big game shots all over and the hardest one handed BH in terms of mph probably ever. Two time slam champion brings finishing power on every shot and athleticism to cover the court.

2. Kei Nishikori: At five ten Kei always goes on the attack with aggressive court position and a lethal BH up the line. He has all the shots in his bag and moves like the wind.

3. Richie Gasquet:  Again the heaviest and most watchable one handed BHs around with gifted hands and feel at net.

4. Gael Monfils: raw power and athleticism in all areas of the court. A tremendous mover who is just as likely to bash a forehand at 115 as he is to chase ball after ball down in a 25 shot rally.

5. JW Tsonga: A combination of a big serve, big FH, speed, and supple hands at net. His ability to put a charge in the ball while moving as well as he does makes him a threat at all times.

6. Nicky Kyrgios: an inventive shotmaker again with loads of power who can also move. Nicky will make up shots as he goes along and is equally comfortable using the drop shot as he is the 140 mile an hour serve. A quirky and effective BH and a monster FH.

7. Benoit Paire: Great mover, great hands, most explosive two handed BH I have seen. He can out winner most guys FHs with his BH, plus another player very comfortable in the forecourt and with a lot of variety

8. Grigor Dimitrov:  Ladies he can play on the court and get your hearts racing with the male model looks. An incredible mover, good hands at net, monster serve and FH, and a very watchable BH.

9. JMDP: the injury plagued Argentine still can get the pulse racing by hitting the flattest and hardest FH ever. A big fan favorite whose gentle demeanor and smile belies the fury of his near 120 FH.

10. Marcos Baghdatis: A gifted shot maker with a smile on his face, a Dave Nalbandian wasteline, also has the good two hander and loves to take the ball on the rise and hit winners from the back.

11. Feliciano Lopez: Another guy who has trouble finding a date I am sure, the lefty Spaniard is a true serve and volleyer and can also use his athleticism to stay in points as easily as moving in and finishing with a volley.

12. Jack Sock: Sock's FH is vicious weapon with a massive western grip and upper cut swing that is a never ending trove of winners. Also an accomplished net player and one of the best double players in the world. And a very underated mover from the back of the court as well.

13. Zverev: The kid is like a Safin type, a flat ball striker who unloads on the BH as big as anyone you will ever see. He moves well for his size and is a poised and varied shot maker. And now the kid is moving into the top 50 as a teenager

14. Ernie Gulbis: Is he still on tour? Another incredible serve and BH combo, and he also moves like a gazelle around the back of the court. He makes the list not just for watchable play but for goofball antics and quotations.

15. Dominic Thiem: Great one handed BH, excellent mover, and a gifted returner as well.

16. Jerzy Janowicz: Big Jerzey has had a tough time of it after getting to wimby semis, but he goes balls to the wall on almost every single FH and serve. Not afraid to load up and pop a second serve 130. Also a surprisingly good mover for his size who possesses some deft touch and feel in his hands as well.

17. Alex Dolgopolov: Super flat ball striker, a little guy who goes for it all on his shots and serve while being able to move so well. A very unique and unorthodox ball striker who can pull off any shot at almost any time.

18. Fabio Fogninniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii: If the fonz could play tennis he would play like Fabio. A little guy with nonchalant and easy power off the serve, FH, return, or BH. He will hit a string of jaw dropping shots with almost disdain, and then he will miss a string of jaw dropping shots.

19. Giles Mueller: I put him on for the old S and V lovers. The guy is ranked now in the top 50 and there is not a better server out there in terms of disguise and placement. Also very nice feel at the net. I enjoy watching his matches because I like to see how players react to his now unique and unorthodox style

20. Dustin Brown: The German is just outside the top 100 but is a powerful and all out attack player.

Honorable mentions: Kohlschreiber, Bellucci, Taylor Fritz, Michael Youzhny, Donskoy, Stakhovsky, Fernando Verdasco, Nicolas Almagro, Rajeev Ram,

Last edited by socal1976 on Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Socal's Watchable 20 Empty Re: Socal's Watchable 20

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:32 pm

I find these guys all to be pretty watchable, now a lot of the younger guys like Tiafoe, I wanted to wait on because they got to show me something other than a couple of performances. When I did the list, I actually was very surprised at how tough it was to whittle the list down to 20, so that is why I just gave a lengthy list of honorable mentions where some younger prospects and old vets who are really fun to watch can get a mention. I mean really a number of the honorable mentions namely Verdasco should probably get into the actual top 20. But hey its my top 20. Would like to see who you guys agree with and who you don't like to watch of the players I mention. By the way I did this exercise as sort of my own antidote to the general negativity that we have had to endure from certain quarters. As I was doing the list I was pretty surprised by the fact that as I was running down the top 100 by scanning how many of these guys are enjoyable to watch and how much athleticism and firepower even the also rans on tour possess. To be honest, I enjoy watching these guys more than any of the top 4 guys with the exception of Djokovic, now I am sure that isn't the universal opinion. But outside of my favorite top 4 guy most of the action and excitement for me at least is these guys ranked from 6-106.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:31 am

Love to watch: Dolgopolov
Like to watch: Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils Goffin, Paire, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Fognini, Mahut,
Honorable mention: Verdasco

Dolgopolov is fun and variety.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

Looking down the top 100 and I don't follow as close as I used to and there are various players I never heard of now. Hands up anyone that can give me any comments about Yuichi Sugita, Thomas Fabbiano, Facundo Bagnis, Malek Jaziri, Marco Cecchinato. Those players in the 90s I don't remember seeing in the top 100 before, never heard of them. Interestingly they are not youngsters either, varies but around mid 20s.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:38 am

HB, agree on all those players. Mahut was another one that I was going to add to the honorable mention list. Jaziri is a decent pro basically a journeyman, and I think I have seen Sugita play as well. Yeah the Dog is a very unique player with a live arm and boy can he make up shots as he goes along.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:29 am

Definitely Dolgo, Montfils, Goffin, Simon, Tsonga, Verdasco, Monaco, Feli, Fabio, Kohlschreiber,
Bautista-Agut, Robredo(on a good day !!)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down