The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June

+44
alive555
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Rugby Fan
Eejit
tigertattie
des
Manky-Flanker
propdavid_london
beshocked
fa0019
cakeordeath
A Simply Mesmeric Try
reallybored
NeilyBroon
nickj
Shifty
whocares
bsando
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
George Carlin
jimbopip
IanBru
demosthenes
Majestic83
highland_scot
GLove39
Senlac
EST
EWT Spoons
robbo277
MacKnocked-on
RDW
TJ
BigGee
Prothero
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
LordDowlais
PenfroPete
Nematode
48 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

I want to see

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Vote_lcap31%Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Vote_lcap69%Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 24 ]

Total Votes : 35

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Empty Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June

Post by Nematode Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

SCOTLAND'S SUMMER TESTS

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Japan10 Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Scot_f10    
JAPAN SCOTLAND 
Sat 18 June 2016 
Venue: Toyota Stadium, Toyota City, Aichi
Coverage: Live on BBC
KO: 7.20pm local/11.20am GMT

Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zealand)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

5 Played 5
0 Won 5
0 Drawn 0
5 Lost 0
55 Points 266 

B. Recent Form

23 September 2015
Scotland 45-10 Japan
Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester

09 Nov 2013
Scotland 42 - 17 Japan
Murrayfield, Edinburgh

13 Nov 2004
Scotland 100 - 8 Japan
McDiarmid Park, Perth

12 Oct 2003
Scotland 32 - 11 Japan
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville

05 Oct 1991
Scotland 47 - 9 Japan
Murrayfield, Edinburgh

C. Teams

JAPAN 
[*]

SCOTLAND 
[*]

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Nagoya_Grampus_game_in_Toyota_Stadium_100814

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Japan10 Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Scot_f10    
JAPAN SCOTLAND 
Sat 25 June 2016 
Venue: Ajinomoto Stadium, Tokyo
Coverage: Live on BBC
KO: 7.20pm local/11.20am GMT

Referee: Marius Mitrea (Italy)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

[5 Played 5
0 Won 5
0 Drawn 0
5 Lost 0
55 Points 266]

B. Recent Form 

18 June 2016
Japan * - * Scotland 
Toyota Stadium, Toyota

23 September 2015 
Scotland 45-10 Japan
Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester

09 Nov 2013
Scotland 42 - 17 Japan
Murrayfield, Edinburgh

13 Nov 2004
Scotland 100 - 8 Japan
McDiarmid Park, Perth

12 Oct 2003
Scotland 32 - 11 Japan
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville

05 Oct 1991
Scotland 47 - 9 Japan
Murrayfield, Edinburgh

C. Teams

JAPAN 

[*]

SCOTLAND 

[*]

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJvWqd-_KlkpmlO7gzsFERjmfrSimzpGuZnD29bHbMWedvYivBxg

Scotland / Japan history:

2015: Scotland 45-10 Japan, Kingsholm Stadium, Gloucester (RWC 2015)
2013: Scotland 42-17 Japan, BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh
2010: Scotland XV 24-5 Japan Select, BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh (uncapped match)
2004: Scotland 100-8 Japan, McDiarmid Park, Perth
2003: Japan 11-32 Scotland, Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville (RWC 2003)
1991: Scotland 47-9 Japan, BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh (RWC 1991)
1989: Japan 28-24 Scotland XV, Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium, Tokyo (uncapped match)
1986: Scotland XV 33-18 Japan, BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh (uncapped match)
1977: Japan 9-74 Scotland XV, Olympic Stadium, Tokyo (uncapped match)
1976: Scotland XV 34-9 Japan,  BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh (uncapped match)

Scotland Squad:
Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 ST16_squad_1200_dh-700x990

Last edited by Nematode on Tue 10 May 2016, 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June

Post by 123456789 Mon 09 May 2016, 11:25 pm

BigGee wrote:
123456789 wrote:The most baffling thing about the lock situation is that two-three years ago it was arguably our best stocked position, certainly in terms of numbers if not always ability. We had Gray, Gray, Hamilton, Gilchrist, Kellock, Swinson and Toolis and to an extent Ryder and McKenzie all in and around selection because of players going out of favour and losing form, retiring or taking up injury as a profession we are down to two international quality second rows (both of which came out of the same woman). That said the short term nature of Scottish rugby always confuses me, I remember the crisis at inside centre when Graeme Morrison was injured in 2011 and there was a debate between Sean Lamont and Nick De Luca for the 12 shirt, yet now we have Taylor, Dunbar, Scott, Horne and Bennett competing for two positions, or how we went from having the Killer Bs, Strockosh, Jason White, Rennie, Simon Taylor, Ally Hogg and Richie Vernon all having legitimate cases to start in the 2009-2010 back row to trying to find any number 8 to play in the 2011 world cup.

Our depth of player base, whilst a lot healthier than it used to be, is still pretty thin compared to the big boys of world rugby and we are going to struggle from time to time.

Having said that, I don't think we are struggling with Swinson. He is a very solid player who will fill in just fine until a better player comes along and there are a few decent ones on the horizon. It may all look very different next year.

I don't know, there seems to be a standard number of Scottish professional players in each position, 2-3 actually playing in Scotland and then 1 or 2 playing outside, it's there standard that varies. If you look at the front row for example you have probably a front row equal of any other in the Northern Hemisphere and maybe the world, behind it you have a trio fit for international purpose and then there's a pretty significant cut off. The same at fly-half, remember last year when we shifted Horne to start against Italy because there literally was not another SQ pro fly-half.

As for Swinson, he works hard but I do think he's too lightweight for international rugby, too slow to be a flanker and too small to be a second row. He tackles his heart out when he plays I'll give him that but against the likes of Kruis, AWJ etc. he resembles a rag doll, I don't think he's a bad player really and he's a good option for Glasgow but let's not pretend that he would be anything other than a decent club player in any top 8 countries (which is what we aspire to, and some of our players warrant). I also can't get the punch against Northampton out of my head and the thought of him doing something similar in an international makes me sick to the stomach, I have genuinely had nightmares about it. For a player of his age and experience it should not be happening, mind you Hamilton decided that the right time to start a fight against Wales in 2015 was when we'd just scored a try to get back into the game and had about 60 seconds to score so perhaps it's unfair to single out Tim Swinson. My view is that if you were to bracket Scotland's second rows in two groups the only one who you could argue is on the Gray's level is Gilchrist (who has occasionally allowed rugby to get in the way of a promising injury career), the rest are very much of a muchness and Swinson hasn't done much to deserve his seemingly untouchable position.

Back to top Go down

Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland's Summer Tests, 18 & 25 June

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 May 2016, 7:21 am

Prothero wrote:Glad Hoyland is going, He has nailed himself a starting position for Edinburgh and has a decent try return.  We need to cultivate the talent available to us as best we can especially out wide, where pickings are slim outside the seymore, visser, maitland, Hogg group.

Wonder if Bennett could be converted to wing? he has the pace and his major talent imo is finishing?
I have thought about this in the past too. However, I just look at Wesley Fofana stuck on the wing and think that it is a huge waste and I am worried that this would be the position pretty quickly with Bennett too. We had ZERO creativity in the centres until recently and I don't want to give that up now!

I am still hoping that the likes of Hoyland will become a great player on the wing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 May 2016, 8:30 am

Sorry to be late to the party. I think it's a great squad chosen by Cotter, and I'd even dare to suggest that the selection of Ryan Wilson in the party may possibly be justified on this one occasion, he's being playing well recently.

Really pleased for Hoyland, big potential there, and relieved to see that Jackson is back in favour.

Also good to see that these games will be televised. More sport to throw into the TV mix this summer!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 May 2016, 8:42 am

Just to add my views to the Toolis vs Swinson debate, neither would make my XV and, Gilchrist being fit, the squad. So we're talking about back-up.

Swinson is the more established player in the squad and is a consistent performer. He's very good at techincal aspects of rucks and mauls and always has a high tackle count. On the downside he is to the international lock community what Trump is to the intellectual community, lightweight and underpowered. We know this from experience.

Toolis is younger, bigger and has the potential to be a very good international lock. On club form this season he's been consistently good (as has Swinson). He would be my preference with the longer term view in mind, but it's not a decision I would die in a ditch over. As before, neither would make the XV.

On Wilson vs Harley, again I would have preferred Harley, but despite my long running doubts about Wilson in his defence I would say that he's had a strong run for Glasgow in the second half of the season and is starting to put himself about in a more positive way. I still feel that he's one shove away from a complete meltdown, and like Swinson I think there are limits to what he's capable of as an international rugby player, but I've no trouble with him being part of this squad, provided he's very much back-up to Denton and Strauss.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 10 May 2016, 9:05 am

Not sure if we want to keep this here of have a separate thread, but here is the under 20 team for the World Cup

SRU site wrote:Head Coach John Dalziel has named his 28-man squad to travel to Manchester for the 2016 World Rugby Under-20 Championship (Tuesday 7- Saturday 25 June).

Of the players selected, 23 featured in this year’s Six Nations, in which Scotland under-20 recorded two victories over England and Italy, both of which they will face in the pool stages of this summer’s tournament.  

Dalziel has named two uncapped players in his squad for the flagship tournament, with Currie centre Matt McPhillips and teammate wing/full-back Cameron Gray making their first foray at under-20 level.

Among the two further additions is Melrose prop Dan Elkington, who played in all five games at last year’s World Championship in Italy, yet was unavailable for selection during the most recent Six Nations due to injury.

Back-row Lewis Wynne, a Stage 3 player in the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy, also makes a timely return to the national age-grade programme after recovering from a leg injury. Like Elkington, Wynne last featured for Scotland under-20 in Italy last summer.

Dalziel said: “We’ve selected a group which contains a lot of experience, but have also added a fresh dimension with some young and exciting talents who have worked hard and fully deserve their shot.

“There was a real buzz around this group during the Six Nations, both internally and externally. The squad was hungry for success, and we want to maintain that drive and focus in the World Championship.

“We are confident that this group can perform and win in a high pressure environment.”

A strong core of the chosen group for this year’s event– 13 of the 28 selected – were named to travel to last year’s event in Italy, where Scotland achieved their highest ever finish of eighth.

BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy players also have a strong presence, with 16 members of the squad affiliated to Scottish Rugby’s primary development programme in the 2015/16 season.

Furthermore, the squad includes three home-based fully professional players including fully-capped prop Zander Fagerson.

Edinburgh Rugby’s back-row Jamie Ritchie and full-back Blair Kinghorn, both who featured in Scotland under-20’s campaign last season, are also in the squad named to travel to Manchester.

Lock Scott Cummings will captain the side ahead of taking up a three-year deal with Glasgow Warriors in the 2016/17 season, having played nine games for the professional outfit while still an Academy prospect.

Dalziel continued: “The majority of players are used to a professional rugby environment which gives us a solid base to build from, and limits the transition period into our set-up.

“More than half of the squad are [BT Sport Scottish Rugby] Academy players, and we’ve already seen the strides players are taking with the introduction of this development programme.”

Scotland under-20 will meet two of the sides they defeated in this year’s Six Nations – England and Italy – in the pool stages of the competition, following their opening match of the tournament against Australia at the AJ Bell Stadium.

This Friday (13 May), the squad will travel to Font Romeu in France – where the senior national team trained prior to their quarter-final success in the recent Rugby World Cup – for a week of warm weather, high-altitude training and a match against their French counterparts.  The programme is funded by Erasmus+, a European Union project providing funding for education, training, youth and sport.

Dalziel continued: “We’re thankful to Erasmus+ and Scottish Rugby for the opportunity to travel to a high performance unit in France as part of our preparations – it’s a real statement of Scottish Rugby’s intent to support the age-grade programmes.

“The extra preparation will put us in a good place going into what will be an exciting tournament.

“We know what to expect in the pool stages, and that is three physical encounters, but we’re looking forward to soaking up the challenge.”

Scotland under-20 pool fixtures in the 2016 World Rugby Under-20 Championship
Tuesday 7 June: Scotland v Australia, AJ Bell Stadium
(kick-off 5.30pm)

Saturday 11 June: Scotland v England, Manchester City Academy Stadium
(kick-off 6pm)

Wednesday 15 June: Scotland v Italy, Manchester City Academy Stadium
(kick-off 3.15pm)

Scotland under-20 squad for the 2016 World Rugby Under-20 Championship in Manchester, England    (7-25 June)

Props

Dan Elkington (Melrose)
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
Murray McCallum (Heriot’s)**
Callum Sheldon (Leeds Beckett University)
George Thornton (Bishop Burton College)

Hookers

Lewis Anderson (Ayr)
Jake Kerr (Boroughmuir)**

Locks

Stephen Ainslie (Currie)*
Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors)** CAPTAIN
Andrew Davidson (Glasgow Hawks)**
Callum Hunter-Hill (Stirling County)**

Back-rows

Scott Burnside (Boroughmuir)*
Ally Miller (Melrose)**
Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby)
Matt Smith (Glasgow Hawks)**
Lewis Wynne (Stirling County)**

Half-backs

Hugh Fraser (Heriot’s)**
Adam Hastings (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Shiel (Currie)*

Centres

Tom Galbraith (Melrose)**
Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)
Matt McPhillips (Currie)
George Taylor (Melrose)**

Back-three

Darcy Graham (Hawick)*
Cameron Gray (Currie)
Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)
Robbie Nairn (Harlequins)
Ben Robbins (Currie)**

*BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy stage 2 player 2015/16
**BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy stage 3 player 2015/16

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 May 2016, 9:20 am

Only one player from Ayr, which is a concern.

What is a comfort is the backs looks really useful, particularly Hastings, Galbraith, Hutchinson, Nairn, Robbins and Kinghorn. Some good footballers, strong runners and pace as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 10 May 2016, 9:43 am

Looks like a decent squad with the objective of winning solely.

Interesting reading between the lines (if you can call it that) on the BBC website:

"Look at the front-row players," he noted. "WP Nel (13 caps) needs more Test match rugby. Stuart McInally (seven caps) needs Test match rugby, so does Fraser Brown (15 caps). We know 'Fordy' (Ross Ford, 100 Test caps) has had a bit, and so has 'Dicko' (Al Dickinson, 57 caps) but I still think 'Dicko' is in his prime."

Could this be suggesting that McInally will be first in line for hooker over Ford? If it's on form then it's merited.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 May 2016, 9:51 am

I like the suggestion that Fordy has "had a bit" of Test match rugby. That sounds like the sort of this Solomons would say!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 10 May 2016, 10:01 am

That is probably the best U20's squad we have ever put out. It's a pity we are playing Oz and England, who are at home and have a number of more established players back. They won't be as bad as during the 6N.

Still, in Fagerson, Cummings, Richie, Fraser, Hastings and Kinghorn there is a real quality spine to the team. I am also excited to see how Matt Smith goes on, I expect him to be the next junior to push his way into the Warriors squad.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 May 2016, 3:37 pm

Are Sky/BT Sports going to be showing the U20 rugby? Would be good to catch these games and see how they get on. As you say, tough opposition, but equally a great opportunity to show what they can do.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 10 May 2016, 6:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Are Sky/BT Sports going to be showing the U20 rugby? Would be good to catch these games and see how they get on. As you say, tough opposition, but equally a great opportunity to show what they can do.

It was BT Sport last year and I'd be surprised if it wasn't again given their strategy of google searching rugby, finding some and throwing money at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Tue 10 May 2016, 11:44 pm

Sensible squad from Cotter. With the World Cup Draw looming, chances can't be taken with this tour. With the relative positions of the two nations in WR, this is both a potential banana skin with an experimental team, but also a fantastic opportunity to pick up a fair few points with the 1st XV. I really don't want to be 3rd seed again in 2019 so first team for me. The boys will get next summer off anyway as our best players will be getting skelfs in their bum in New Zealand and any tour will likely be a development one then anyway.

Also just like to add my backing for Swinson. Yes he's not Johnny Gray, but I don't buy the underpowered argument. Not only does he tackle very well, but he always makes ground ball in hand too. And he also knows where the tryline is. Like WP Nel, I like players who aren't afraid to score. He'll be fine back-up in the summer.

Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 May 2016, 9:57 am

Senlac wrote:Also just like to add my backing for Swinson.  Yes he's not Johnny Gray, but I don't buy the underpowered argument.  Not only does he tackle very well, but he always makes ground ball in hand too.  And he also knows where the tryline is.  Like WP Nel, I like players who aren't afraid to score.  He'll be fine back-up in the summer.

Not to get into the whole Toolis vs Swinson debate again, but Swinson in 22 caps hasn't scored a single point for Scotland.  Wink  Hug  

I realise this is mostly due to the style of play we have adopted for the majority of his caps and to be fair it was tough for anyone to actually get the ball down over the line.  Maitland in one less cap has only managed it 3x and that's his primary role!

At club level though Swinson is pretty decent at getting the ball over the line, and I don't think anyone is doubting his ability at club level.

Anyway moving off the our lock choices, I believe the seedings for the wc are taken at the end of the 6 nations next year, think it was due to be the summer, but with the lions series going on it would really hurt....well probably wales if Gatland is in charge again, so suggested plan is after the 6 nations.  With 3 home games next year I wonder if we can push on and beat a couple of the teams above us and help move us further into the top 8, rather than just getting 8th.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 May 2016, 10:09 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Senlac wrote:Also just like to add my backing for Swinson.  Yes he's not Johnny Gray, but I don't buy the underpowered argument.  Not only does he tackle very well, but he always makes ground ball in hand too.  And he also knows where the tryline is.  Like WP Nel, I like players who aren't afraid to score.  He'll be fine back-up in the summer.

Not to get into the whole Toolis vs Swinson debate again, but Swinson in 22 caps hasn't scored a single point for Scotland.  Wink  Hug  

I realise this is mostly due to the style of play we have adopted for the majority of his caps and to be fair it was tough for anyone to actually get the ball down over the line.  Maitland in one less cap has only managed it 3x and that's his primary role!

At club level though Swinson is pretty decent at getting the ball over the line, and I don't think anyone is doubting his ability at club level.

Anyway moving off the our lock choices, I believe the seedings for the wc are taken at the end of the 6 nations next year, think it was due to be the summer, but with the lions series going on it would really hurt....well probably wales if Gatland is in charge again, so suggested plan is after the 6 nations.  With 3 home games next year I wonder if we can push on and beat a couple of the teams above us and help move us further into the top 8, rather than just getting 8th.

Very Happy

We haven't had a dig at Maitland in weeks!!

That move of his from Glasgow to LI is looking rather horrible at the moment. Particularly when you see Lee Jones camping out in his old position. He should do the right thing and join Edinburgh. That'll sort his confidence out.....and he can take Tom Coventry with him if he likes.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 11 May 2016, 10:19 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Very Happy

That move of his from Glasgow to LI is looking rather horrible at the moment. Particularly when you see Lee Jones camping out in his old position. He should do the right thing and join Edinburgh. That'll sort his confidence out.....and he can take Tom Coventry with him if he likes.

Coventry would be great for Edinburgh. Unlike London Irish, Edinburgh have a very strong base (Scrum, Line-out, Defence) from which to develop their rugby, and he would be in the slightly less pressurised environment of the Pro12. He was obviously very successful with the Chiefs and would be desperate to prove himself after his experience with LI.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 11 May 2016, 10:32 am

Cotter states that due to a lack of depth he can't risk resting any of the front line players for the Japan games, he may well be right, but I feel that the SRU has made a big mistake in not continuing with A fixtures this season. Previous years have seen the likes of Duncan Taylor emerge through those games and it's been a great low pressure opportunity to see who can or probably can't make the step up.
Perhaps other 6N nations haven't wanted A fixtures, who knows, but they are a vital opportunity for us and we should maintain them against perhaps Romania or Georgia, anyone basically who could provide meaningful opposition.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 May 2016, 10:40 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Very Happy

We haven't had a dig at Maitland in weeks!!.

Aye felt like something was missing, couldn't work out what it was.  Then is struck me, a maitland dig.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 11 May 2016, 1:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Very Happy

Maybe Edinburgh were on to something when they turned down Maitland because they already had Lee Jones!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 May 2016, 1:40 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Only one player from Ayr, which is a concern.
I do share that stark and well considered fear, but I suppose that no squad is perfect. Other than the Ayr first XXIII.

I do hope that the U20s get some TV time because there's a hell of a lot of talent there. Scott Cummings must be desperate to get onto a pitch holding a ball and not a water bottle. I really wish them well.

Turning to the old farts, I agree that Duncan Taylor is a real absentee, but given that he played the 6 Nations and almost every match for Sarries (including the newly engineered AlwaysAnEnglishChampionNowThankGodWhatWhat Champions Cup) it's sensible to rest him.

I refuse to make Sean Maitland jokes. Grow up, everyone.

Gilchrist is still broken? Any update on his prognosis?

Am fascinated to know the arrangement whereby Bennett gets a crack at the 7s team. Did he just ask for this? Did he need a note from his mum? Surprised Sean Lamont didn't also try for this.

We do well on these summer tours but Cotter will be under no illusions that we could lost both and if we have a duff world cup and place in the 3rd seeds pool, that could be his job. We have to play the first team and hope that they don't break.

P.S. What's the difference between a flatulent nun on a day trip to an octagenarian priests' retirement home and Sean Maitland?
A. The nun is more likely to score.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 May 2016, 4:47 pm

Let's just assume that Gilchrist is still injured. He probably managed to break his leg spreading butter on toast this morning.

It's only right that Bennett gets to go to Rio. They have a statue of him there on some hill apparently.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 11 May 2016, 4:49 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Only one player from Ayr, which is a concern.
I do share that stark and well considered fear, but I suppose that no squad is perfect. Other than the Ayr first XXIII.

I do hope that the U20s get some TV time because there's a hell of a lot of talent there. Scott Cummings must be desperate to get onto a pitch holding a ball and not a water bottle. I really wish them well.

Turning to the old farts, I agree that Duncan Taylor is a real absentee, but given that he played the 6 Nations and almost every match for Sarries (including the newly engineered AlwaysAnEnglishChampionNowThankGodWhatWhat Champions Cup) it's sensible to rest him.

I refuse to make Sean Maitland jokes. Grow up, everyone.

Gilchrist is still broken? Any update on his prognosis?

Am fascinated to know the arrangement whereby Bennett gets a crack at the 7s team. Did he just ask for this? Did he need a note from his mum? Surprised Sean Lamont didn't also try for this.

We do well on these summer tours but Cotter will be under no illusions that we could lost both and if we have a duff world cup and place in the 3rd seeds pool, that could be his job. We have to play the first team and hope that they don't break.

P.S. What's the difference between a flatulent nun on a day trip to an octagenarian priests' retirement home and Sean Maitland?
A. The nun is more likely to score.

Taylor is in the squad I'm sure. I see that Newcastle have today signed Andrew Davidson the U20s lock, Dean Richards has very high hopes for him, he's only 19 but hopefully he might get some games in the English premiership next season.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 May 2016, 4:57 pm

I saw the Davidson story this morning as well. Very promising development for him. We could really use some proper depth coming through at lock. Grayx2 is a great combination and looks nicely set for the foreseeable but with Gilchrist always injured and Ben Toolis having taken a dump on Cotter's desk, allegedly, we have been faced with scare stories of underpowered Weegies like Swinson and Harley being used at lock, and that just won't do.

Hopefully between Davidson, Cummings and Crammond we can fashion some more depth.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 11 May 2016, 4:59 pm

That's a good point actually - if a lock goes down injured I bet Harley gets called up over Toolis!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 11 May 2016, 5:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's a good point actually - if a lock goes down injured I bet Harley gets called up over Toolis!

I suspect if a lock goes down, then Denton may have a run out in the second row, much to his disgust! Its a long way to fly someone to sit on the bench for 70 mins!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 11 May 2016, 5:35 pm

Perhaps Ben Toolis should "do a Shane Williams" and just happen to be in Japan on holiday.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 11 May 2016, 5:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Perhaps Ben Toolis should "do a Shane Williams" and just happen to be in Japan on holiday.

Actually Toolis may well be in Australia, which would make it a bit more doable. Still think they would go with Denton though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 13 May 2016, 3:44 pm

Cotter went for option A and there can be very few quibbles with the team

My only doubt is Swinson - what has he ever done to merit his selection? He is not IMO even a decent squad player for his club and is so far below international standard its not funny. I have never seen him have a positive influence on a game - I have seen him cost his side games twice.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 May 2016, 12:41 pm

Matt Scott – the Gloucester-bound Edinburgh Rugby centre – has been added to the Scotland squad for next month’s summer tour to Japan.

Scott is a direct replacement for injured Glasgow Warriors centre, Alex Dunbar, who was ruled out of the tour with a knee injury he sustained while representing his club in the Guinness PRO12.

Scott and the rest of the Scotland squad will convene at BT Murrayfield Stadium on Monday 6 June for a short camp before their departure for Tokyo the following Saturday (11 June).

The Test matches – live on BBC – will be played on consecutive Saturdays at J1 League football stadia; the first at the Toyota Stadium in Toyota City (18 June), the second at the Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo (25 June), homes of Nagoya Grampus and FC Tokyo respectively.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 16 May 2016, 1:53 pm

It's a big blow to lose Dunbar for this but Scott/Horne leave us with good cover at 12 and I'd presume that Duncan Taylor would have had the 13 jersey anyway.

In the 2000s I'd have chewed my own arm off for a combination like Scott/Taylor.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 May 2016, 1:26 pm

Everyone's favourite OAP called up for Japan: http://thescotlandteam.com/2016/05/19/lamont-replaces-injured-visser-on-scotland-summer-tour/

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 May 2016, 3:24 pm

Hopefully he's only travelling to hold the tackle bags.

No pun intended!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 May 2016, 3:44 pm

I'm sorry, but the call-up of Sean Lamont for this tour is a complete joke. If ever there was a time to give a younger player a shot, this is it. What a waste of a place.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 19 May 2016, 3:47 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm sorry, but the call-up of Sean Lamont for this tour is a complete joke. If ever there was a time to give a younger player a shot, this is it. What a waste of a place.

For some reason 'Carry on up the Khyber' has suddenly come to mind

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 19 May 2016, 3:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm sorry, but the call-up of Sean Lamont for this tour is a complete joke. If ever there was a time to give a younger player a shot, this is it. What a waste of a place.

I totally agree. I can see no benefit for either the player or the squad, by having him there.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 19 May 2016, 4:06 pm

Brown, Jones or Hughes would have got a lot more going to Japan than Lamont and Scotland would have lost little. Conservative choice

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 May 2016, 4:38 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Brown, Jones or Hughes would have got a lot more going to Japan than Lamont and Scotland would have lost little. Conservative choice

I think it's just a bad choice frankly. I rate the players you've noted above as better than him these days, certainly Hughes and Brown (plus Jones has played well recently). Japan play a fast-paced Super Rugby style of play. They have extremely quick wingers. Lamont will look like a carthorse.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 19 May 2016, 4:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Brown, Jones or Hughes would have got a lot more going to Japan than Lamont and Scotland would have lost little. Conservative choice

I think it's just a bad choice frankly. I rate the players you've noted above as better than him these days, certainly Hughes and Brown (plus Jones has played well recently). Japan play a fast-paced Super Rugby style of play. They have extremely quick wingers. Lamont will look like a carthorse.

Fastest carthorse in Glasgow by the way.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 19 May 2016, 5:32 pm

I've just seen the lamont story and was just coming here to vent my disappointment, but I see I'm a bit late to this party, so carry on.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 19 May 2016, 7:52 pm

I just..... but.... maybe.....

No. I'm completely baffled by this. How can we possibly expect young players to be in a position to step up if they aren't given a chance on tours like this? There is literally no benefit to giving the old man a few more caps

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 19 May 2016, 8:10 pm

We will have to change his nickname from Shlong to " they man they couldn't kill"

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 19 May 2016, 8:46 pm

"I'll never retire," Lamont told BBC Scotland. "I'll only stop when they tell me I'm surplus to requirements.

"I'll probably never better Chris Paterson's [record] total of 109 [appearances] but you never know."

5 more games & he'd eclipse Mossy's record Sad

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 19 May 2016, 11:55 pm

Lamont is the next in form winger after Visser, I think that is the basic thought from VC. He is wanting Scotland to play more rugby as a unit rather than experiment. Currently I would pick Lamont over any of Scotland's young and upcoming wingers as they're simply not there yet. Could be a completely different scenario this time next year.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 May 2016, 7:44 am

Lamont is the most in form? Headscratch

You haven't been watching Tom Brown or Lee Jones then?

Lamont does the odd good carry but when's the last time he made a break, or scored/set up a try! He's basically a flanker playing on the wing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 20 May 2016, 2:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Lamont is the most in form? Headscratch

Lamont does the odd good carry but when's the last time he made a break, or scored/set up a try! He's basically a flanker playing on the wing.

Now this might sound ridiculous, but I actually don't mind when Lamont has to come on at 6. Whenever I have seen him fill in there, he is usually pretty effective.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 May 2016, 2:33 pm

Unfortunately for Tom Brown and Lee Jones, VC does not seem to see them as International wingers and he may well be right. Good solid club players, but that is going to be their level. He does not really do sentimentality and give out caps for long and loyal service. He is probably right as well that Hoyland has something that neither of them have got, if he can just improve his tackling then he may wel become the real deal.

So i guess his thinking is take the expereinced guy, who will if nothing else bring a lot to the squad ethos, rather than blood a relative newcomer for no long term gain. With Seymour and Maitland to start and Hoyland to get a run off the bench, he may not even get on the pitch in any case. If he does, I am sure he will give it his best in whatever position he plays.

It does kind of show that we are a bit light on the winger front though. Hopefully some of the promising kids, Nairn, Robbins et al, will start to step up soon. Farndale seems to have rediscovered his Mojo on the sevens circuit as well, so maybe will come back into play once again.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 May 2016, 3:03 pm

BigGee wrote: Farndale seems to have rediscovered his Mojo on the sevens circuit as well, so maybe will come back into play once again.

Just don't send him back to Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 May 2016, 3:22 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote: Farndale seems to have rediscovered his Mojo on the sevens circuit as well, so maybe will come back into play once again.

Just don't send him back to Edinburgh.

To be fair he hardly played when he was with you, another permacrock. I am sure you would rather have him back than Toonie take him to Glasgow and make him into a decent playerd though!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 May 2016, 3:25 pm

By that I was meaning he'd be ruined for life if he came back to Edinburgh! I'd take him back over Will Helu just now.

When he was with us we were very keen to see him play - he had a lot of pedigree as a juniour (top scorer at one of the under 20s world cups - as in out of the whole tournament) but broke his leg at a bad time just as his career was about to potentially go somewhere.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 May 2016, 4:05 pm

I remember seeing footage of Farndale earlier in his career and he looked the business. Big, fast and direct. It's got to be one of the benefits of the 7s that it can be used to refresh players like him and get them back on their feet. Hopefully that's in an Edinburgh jersey as Helu hasn't impressed and Fife has been released. Hoyland is useful, Brown is competent and I've high hopes for Scholes, but we certainly shouldn't rule out Farndale.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 20 May 2016, 11:18 pm

EST wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Lamont is the most in form? Headscratch

Now this might sound ridiculous, but I actually don't mind when Lamont has to come on at 6.  Whenever I have seen him fill in there, he is usually pretty effective.

Think this is a case of agree to disagree RDW thumbsup I don't think younger guys are quite there yet. If VC thinks Scotland need to play more rugby together then Lamont is an obvious choice for me as he has been in the thick of it for Glasgow and Scotland.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next