The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey

+11
jimbohammers
wadey101
kingdaveeagle
Corporalhumblebucket
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
Duty281
VTR
Good Golly I'm Olly
LondonTiger
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey - Page 4 Empty County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey

Post by LondonTiger Fri May 06, 2016 8:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Venue: Headingley, Leeds
Date: Sunday 8th - Wednesday 11th May

Umpires

Steve Garratt
Alex Wharf

Form

Yorkshire - P3, D3

Reigning champions are a side bang out of form atm. To win early season matches you need runs from the top order and wickets from the seamers. Yorkshire have managed neither. As with last season first innings scores are being rescued by the middle and lower order. Lees hit form at Trent Bridge, but the main run scorers otherwise have been Bairstow (5), Rashid (7), Plunkett (8) 7 Patterson (10). UInliek last season the opening bowlers are not coming to the rescue - highlighted by the spinners taking more wickets than the opening bowlers.

Surrey - P3, D2, L1

Reigning Second div champs, Surrey have, a wobble in the first innings of the season apart, been providing runs. Their issue has been the bowlers (Rampaul apart) aping the Yorkies and struggling for form.

Squads

Yorkshire:
Bairstow (Wicketkeeper), Ballance, Brooks, Gale (Captain), Lees, Lyth, Patterson, Plunkett, Rashid, Rhodes, Root, Willey, Wainman

Surrey:
Gareth Batty (capt), James Burke, Rory Burns, Tom Curran, Steven Davies, Matthew Dunn, Ben Foakes, Arun Harinath, Mathew Pillans, Ravi Rampaul, Jason Roy, Kumar Sangakkara, Gary Wilson

Potential Milestones:

AU Rashid needs 80 runs to reach 6000 runs in First-class matches.
JA Brooks needs 1 wickets to reach 100 wickets in First-class matches at Leeds.
SA Patterson needs 9 wickets to reach 300 wickets in First-class matches.

GJ Batty needs 11 wickets to reach 600 wickets in First-class matches.
R Rampaul need 4 wickets to reach 200 wickets in First-class matches.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sat May 07, 2016 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey - Page 4 Empty Re: County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey

Post by guildfordbat Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Tea and even Rampaul will struggle to eat much.

166/6. Trailing by 66 and with a minimum of 29 overs left. The rate that Yorks are getting through their overs, there could even be 1 or 2 overs more than that if needed. The scoring has dried up and we've only managed 15 runs in the last 10 overs. Therefore, by no means certain we'll get ahead even if we last out another 25 or so overs.

Desperate.

Corporal - expect meltdown on the wallpaper site if we snatch defeat from the jaws of a draw.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey - Page 4 Empty Re: County Championship Division 1 - Yorkshire v Surrey

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed May 11, 2016 3:58 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Tea and even Rampaul will struggle to eat much.

166/6. Trailing by 66 and with a minimum of 29 overs left. The rate that Yorks are getting through their overs, there could even be 1 or 2 overs more than that if needed. The scoring has dried up and we've only managed 15 runs in the last 10 overs. Therefore, by no means certain we'll get ahead even if we last out another 25 or so overs.

Desperate.

Corporal - expect meltdown on the wallpaper site if we snatch defeat from the jaws of a draw.

Guildford - I've not been on the wallpaper site for many months - in fact, since it was revamped. Is the ghost of a great wartime leader still haunting the place? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed May 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Corporal - oh yes, Sir Winston still going strong.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed May 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Off for bad light and rain
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed May 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Off for bad light and rain

Jail break?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 pm

They're playing again! Concentrate guys. Minimum overs left 21.2 Fingers Crossed

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 11, 2016 4:41 pm

These two have dug in sufficiently well. Should be enough to see Surrey to safety.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed May 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Deficit 45, minimum 17 overs left.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Drama, the bowling change works! Three to go.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed May 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Bowling change sees to Curran - bowled by Patterson for a dogged 22 off 58 balls.  That was more like the partnership we needed, but it's looking desperate now....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Though Batty's huge experience is just the thing that Surrey need right now.

13 overs to go, maybe a couple more if time allows.

EDIT: Or perhaps not.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed May 11, 2016 5:00 pm

And Batty completes his useless match with a pair

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Nine down, Patterson again.

Brave resistance from Foakes might come to nought.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Foakes gone... Time for Ravioli and Clive to channel their inner Graham Onions.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

The Surrey Twitter account mentioned something last match about Dunn's batting average being low, but the average scores of partnerships he's been involved in being something like 50. Can't remember the exact figures, but suggests he's got a solid defensive technique.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Apologies in advance if this jinxes it Whistle

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Root bringing himself on for a twirl

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Plunkett gets Dunn LBW.

A much deserved win for Yorks.

Some much needed improvements required for Surrey.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Plunkett wraps it up, first ball of his new spell.

Good win for Yorkshire. A true team effort with the bowling, and majestic efforts from Root and Bairstow with the bat.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 11, 2016 5:44 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Surrey will survive the day just fine - probably take a lead just after tea.

Well I guess my middle name is not Nostradamus. What a poor prediction.

Grats Yorkies, commiserations Kenningtonians. While in the end a thumping it was all driven by Root and Bairstow in sublime form, while your tail fought like mad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Well the positive spin for Surrey is....they are off the bottom of the table....after that bit of positive news I am struggling to think of anything else to add...congrats to Yorkshire on a crushing and thoroughly merited win...would have been a travesty if the weather had denied them victory.....actually Curran's and Davies's batting were also positives! And I suppose the way they bowled means that there ought to be some improvements in the next match....and they won't be bowling against Root and Bairstow

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Well the positive spin for Surrey is....they are off the bottom of the table....after that bit of positive news I am struggling to think of anything else to add...congrats to Yorkshire on a crushing and thoroughly merited win...would have been a travesty if the weather had denied them victory.....actually Curran's and Davies's batting were also positives! And I suppose the way they bowled means that there ought to be some improvements in the next match....and they won't be bowling against Root and Bairstow

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed May 11, 2016 5:55 pm

As King Carlos calls it.

For Yorks, great batting from Root and Bairstow together with a very fine team bowling performance. Patterson so often goes under the radar but regularly pops up with 2 or 3 wickets. Also worth pointing out that Yorks bowled just 1 no ball and no wides at all in the whole match. That's so disciplined and professional. It helped Yorks to potentially have an extra over or two today and contributed to Surrey failing to make Yorks bat again.

Anything else on my team probably falls under the heading of private grief and belongs on the Surrey board.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 11, 2016 5:59 pm

If asked to make a prediction for one game this season my first bet would probably have been that we'd lose at Headingley in mid May against the champions. The result itself isn't a set back but the fragility of the batting and the struggle of our young players to deal with the step up in pressure is worrying.

From the bowling side of things, not many county attacks could deal with that onslaught from Root and Jonny. We are lacking fire power and experience currently with Dunn nowhere near his best, Sam Curran in detention and Meaker/Dernbach on the physio table. Hopefully those seamers returning can offer a shot to the arm for our attack.

1.Burns (c)
2.Harinath
3.Sanga (captains special advisor...)
4.Davies
5.Roy
6.Ansari
7.Foakes (wk)
8.Sam Curran
9.Tom Curran
10.Rampaul
11.Dernbach or Meaker

The sooner we can get that side out the better! Dernbach would offer control against the stronger line-ups and Meaker (depending on how he returns from injury) some much needed extra fire power.

Getting a win under our belts before Sanga goes away is beyond vital. With Sanga gone we lose the stem of an already wilting batting line-up. Once he's gone we also lose the standout adviser to Third Degree as captain if Norah is dropped for these early season games.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm

That win also puts York on top of the table. One point ahead of Lancs who have a game in hand - how many of us tipped them for relegation...? Whistle

Congrats Yorkies. It's remarkable to think that side was leaving out Leaning, Bresnan and Sidebottom. Not to mention Kane Williamson due to come in as overseas pro and talent such as Fisher and Rhodes who would slip very happily into most Div 1 XIs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed May 11, 2016 6:06 pm

First off, well done to Yorkshire, who played well. There was the big partnership from the England players, but the bowling has been more of a positive to take forward. After three draws, wrapping up a win in (essentially) three days is a big step forward. Maybe an understatement, but Surrey have fewer positives to take from the match.

Meaker is playing seconds this week I think, so assuming he bowls okay and gets through that match without breaking down, I'd bring him straight into the side, along with the returning Ansari. That would leave room for only one of Dunn, Burke & Batty.

The batting has been fragile, but it's been scattered around with the players seemingly taking it in turns to get out cheaply, which means no-one has really done badly enough for Wilson to replace them.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed May 11, 2016 6:14 pm

king_carlos wrote:That win also puts York on top of the table. One point ahead of Lancs who have a game in hand - how many of us tipped them for relegation...? Whistle

Me for one. Will be interesting to see how they go with Anderson missing which will put a lot of pressure on Wagner and Jarvis. They are our next visitors at Headingley over the next bank holiday weekend. Shopuld be massive crfowds.

king_carlos wrote:
Congrats Yorkies. It's remarkable to think that side was leaving out Leaning, Bresnan and Sidebottom. Not to mention Kane Williamson due to come in as overseas pro and talent such as Fisher and Rhodes who would slip very happily into most Div 1 XIs.

Leaning will come straight back in. Hopefully Bresnan will be fully fit for the trip to Taunton as neither Sidebottom nor Willey will be seen until late June.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4