The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread

+11
Komatsujo
Fernando
Good Golly I'm Olly
dyrewolfe
TopoftheChops
NickisBHAFC
Dolphin Ziggler
MIG
westisbest
Marky
Crimey
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread - Page 2 Empty The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 5:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, here we're again, back in the Championship. How depressing. Thanks to the incompetence of the ownership & management hierarchy, we now enter a new era for the club. Hopefully this will be the beginning of something positive, by starting with the exodus of some incompetent staff & players, this summer.

There can only be one aim & that must be promotion.

Manager - Possibly, Rafael Benitez. I think he can be the difference between becoming Champions or not. Rumours are that we're currently throwing money at him, to entice him to stay. Back-up options will possibly start with Nigel Pearson.

Player Exodus
- Moussa Sissoko - An utter disgrace this season. Sold to Serie A, no doubt
- Gini Wijnaldum - Played until January, then went on holiday. Had no fight, no desire & 0 goals away from home.....embarrassing
- Daryl Janmaat - Guess we will bag £5m for him, whoever buys him, don't expect many clean sheets
- Fabricio Coloccini - Terrible decision by the hierachy to renew his contract. Off to Argentina you go.
- Andros Townsend - Terrific player, performed fantastically since he arrived. Reputation enhanced & doubters proved wrong. £8m to the PL
- Papiss Cisse - One way ticket to Turkey, China or the Middle-East
- Steven Taylor - Released
- Ayoze Perez - Questionable as to his future, if Rafa stays, could possibly see Perez staying, knowing his fellow countryman could help develop him
- Emmanuel Riviere - Ligue 1
- Yoan Gouffran - Ligue 1
- Siem De Jong - Terrible signing by the club, knowing he was injury prone. They then gave him a six-year contract. Embarrassing. Hopefully, if De Boer is appointed Everton manager, then Siem can go to Goodison.
- Florian Thauvin - Interesting one, as no deal with Marseille has been agreed, so he's coming back.
- Cheick Tiote - Bound to be sold, destination unknown

We will be left with a squad consisting of

GK - Krul/Elliott/Darlow
DEF - Anita/Dummett/Mbemba/Lascelles/Good/Sterry/Haidara/Mbabu
MID - Colback/Shelvey/Saivet/Aarons/Vuckic/Sammy Ameobi/De Jong?/Thauvin?/Gouffran?
ATT - Perez?/Mitrovic/Armstrong/Riviere?

Possible Incomings
Too early to judge, we need strengthening with experienced Championship players, but until our manager is confirmed, it's all up in the air. Heavily linked with Lewis Dunk, Tom Ince & Will Hughes in previous seasons though.

Back to top Go down

The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread

Post by Geordie Sun 24 Jul 2016, 8:29 pm

He's been looking at young Sterry the full back in these games.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

@GeordieFalcon - I'd probably be leaning towards this, as it stands

------------------DARLOW-------------
JANMAAT-LASCELLES-MBEMBA-GAMEZ
------------SHELVEY--COLBACK--------
RITCHIE----------PEREZ--------AARONS
------------------GAYLE------------------

The attacking four look locked in, I'd love Pritchard to be signed, but we're looking at a loan, whereas Spurs want £8m, which Swansea seem keen to do. Think Rafa will go with the tried & tested of Shelvey & Colback, with Hayden as back-up. If Janmaat stays, he should be at RB & that could mean Gamez moving to LB, which he can play. Not sure Hanley will dislodge Mbemba or Lascelles, but he will get plenty of game time during the congested championship season, especially when Mbemba goes to the ACON's. Also, I'd probably lean towards Darlow, as he was first choice at the back end of last season & Sels made a howler last week & might need time to adjust to the demands of the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:16 am

Yeah I can probably go with that John. I think Mitrovic will get quite a bit of gametime aswell.

I also agree that Hanley wont be ahead of mbemba or Laschelles...but there will be rotation to allow some rest etc.

I think Hayden will surprise a few. He may even overtake Colback as the DM as the season goes on if Colback doesn't hit the heights.

Colback has a lot to prove in my eyes.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 28 Jul 2016, 10:39 am

John,

Whos this Yasin Ben El-Mhanni that we have signed? For the U21's but apparently a very skilful young kid?

Also
have you heard anything regarding Armstrong. Does it look like he'll be loaned out again?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2016, 11:04 am

Yes, Yasin Ben El-Mhanni has been getting rave reviews by Beardsley in the youth games. Basically, he's had a handful of trials elsewhere, but we decided to sign him. He was a trick performer & youtube sensation, who has done videos with Neymar etc. I don't tend to get too excited by players known for their trick & skill ability, instead of their actual footballing ability & footballing brain.

Heard nothing on Armstrong, I'd rather see Riviere sold. Thauvin has gone on loan to Lazio for £2m, with £9m being agreed to make it permanent & hopefully Tiote can leave this weekend for around £2.5m. I'm hoping then we can then make some moves for Pritchard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:53 pm

Ah interesting stuff. Yeah ive hard some very good reviews yet ive never heard of him.
Oh well one to monitor I guess. Would be nice to see him make it though...imagine having a genuine playmaker / skill man like Gazza, Waddle etc

I agree about Riviere would rather get rid of him and work with Armstrong. I suspect he'll go out on loan again though. Especially if Perez and Mitrovic are the two main strikers Rafa will work with.

Maybe to championship club this season.

Good to hear that Thauvin will probably be away permanently and Tiote also expected to go.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:28 pm

bid for anthony knockaert rejected, rumoured to be between £6m-£8m. we need another winger, in case aarons continues to get injured or anything happens to ritchie. haven't seen too much of knockaert, other than him being a quick winger type with championship experience. not sure about paying near £10m for him though, as some have reported.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 29 Jul 2016, 9:57 pm

He's class. So stay well away.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jul 2016, 5:41 pm

I expect we will come back with £10m next week

Newcastle 3-2 Vitesse - Gayle & Colback on the scoresheet, but if Fulham were watching, they would of learnt, that we haven't got a clue how to defend set-pieces.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 02 Aug 2016, 3:43 pm

Well John...team for Fulham?

And win, lose or draw?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

The Fulham game is a total lottery, I would take a draw. Don't particularly think the Friday night game, kicking off the new season, is a good game to have. Fulham will be massively up for it, looking for the scalp & the home crowd will be buoyant. Need to settle into the game fast, otherwise we could be in for a tough night.

I would guess - Darlow, Janmaat, Dummett, Lascelles, Mbemba, Shelvey, Colback, Ritchie, Aarons, Perez & Gayle in a 4-2-3-1. Could play Sels, Anita or Hayden though, we do have options. Still think we're light in wide offensive positions, no real alternatives to Ritchie or Aarons. Not sure why we need Clark, he's useless & will only be fourth choice CB. I'd rather push ahead & find a winger.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 4:28 pm

Don't think McCormack will be a Fulham play come Friday if reports are true.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 03 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm

Good luck to Clark.
Like I said before not the best player around, but will give 100%.

Can play left back and even as defensive midfielder.

Would think most Newcastle fans would not be to excited about signing him, I actually think he may become a better player with the toon.

Hope he does well.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 03 Aug 2016, 5:43 pm

So Diame and Clark are confirmed.

Rafa certainly means business. Bringing in top Championship quality players.

And Mcormack and one other has left Fulham.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2016, 5:56 pm

I'm pretty happy with that squad now. Diame, Shelvey, De Jong (when fit) & Perez, should offer enough through the middle, linking that midfield to the attack. I'm still not happy with the lack of back up for Aarons or Ritchie in wide areas, we need one more signing & it needs to be a winger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 03 Aug 2016, 6:10 pm

I wonder if that's the signings done or if another winger will come in.

Or will he use Perez / De Jong out wide if needed?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm

Newcastle United FC ✔@NUFC
CONFIRMED: @FlorianThauvin returns to @OM_Official

As expected, Lascelles has been made captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Aug 2016, 3:28 pm

The young lad has impressed. Good on him.

Lets hope Thauvin ends up permanent and just need to get shot of Sissoko.

And let not buy any more wingers from Marseille...unless they're like Chris Waddle!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2016, 10:34 pm

Not overly concerned about tonight, we just looked a make-shift side, with the wrong mentality & approach, which was too cautious & negative. Throwing new signings in, will also take time to gel too.

Like to see this vs Huddersfield.

--------------------Sels--------------
Janmaat---Lascelles-Mbemba-Dummett
-------------Hayden-Shelvey----------
Ritchie-----------Diame---------Aarons-
-------------------Gayle-----------------

I do think Mitrovic will be key to how we play, long term. We need that physical presence to hold the ball, keep possession & then a target for Ritchie & Aarons to pick out. Perez, Colback & Anita were poor vs Fulham & Hanley just looks a mistake waiting to happen, in all honesty. I'm worried that Dummett will be dropped for Clark going forward too. We also need another winger ASAP, as we lack creativity

I was never happy with the 'favourites' tag at all & it looks like this will be a much tougher campaign, than the successful one under Chris Hughton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 05 Aug 2016, 10:50 pm

Yeah I agree John.

Mitrovic will be huge.. But I also think Diame. We really need a powerhouse driving from the midfield. A sissoko type player...and Diame could give us that.

Perez was seriously poor just like last season. I really do worry that he just isn't going to make it. And Colback was poor. Hayden looked very good and should be the DM alongside a bit more offensive player.

I'd go with your side definitely.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:02 pm

Looks like a massive Dutch exodus before the window shuts. Krul & De Jong seem to be heading for loan moves to the Eredivisie & Janmaat to possibly WHU or Serie A.  

Back-to-back wins for the Toon, we weren't fantastic today, but certainly a good week & turnaround from such a poor start. Rafa finally seems to have woken up to the fact Anita as a winger wasn't working & dropping Janmaat, has seen us defensively more solid. Tough run of games coming up now, but exciting news regarding Mitrovic returning from his ban. Great to see Gayle firing his way to the top of the league scorers list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Aug 2016, 3:57 pm

Confirmed De Jong on a season long loan with PSV.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Aug 2016, 3:59 pm

Just John wrote: Great to see Gayle firing his way to the top of the league scorers list.

I have him as my top scorer this season. It could be a good little bet....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Aug 2016, 1:01 pm

Well lets see how young Mitrovic goes eh John.

Hopefully he just eases in...puts in a nice physical performance.
It'll be nice to see how we play with some presence up front, with Perez / Gayle / Ritchie working off him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2016, 3:17 pm

To be honest, our performances have been pretty crap so far, so it will be interesting to see how Mitrovic can improve the whole team dynamic in the final third.

Looks like Brentford's Alan Judge will be the next signing & De Jong's replacement. He's out until November with his broken leg, but was in the Championship team of the year last season & since August 2014, Alan Judge has provided more assists than any other Championship player (24). So it could be a good, creative addition, as long as he fully recovers from his injury.

Kevin Mbabu has joined Young Boys on a season-long loan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Aug 2016, 3:35 pm

Alan Judge is an interesting one. At least we're staying away from France an Holland! Lots of good young English players.

If we get back up at the first go...would these be good enough...or would there be mass changes again?

Mbabu...he had one amazing game last season propelled to superstardom...then disappeared....

He did look a good player...maybe a season at one of Switzerlands top sides in Europe will do him the world of good.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 23 Aug 2016, 5:09 pm

Judge is a quality player.
One I would hoped villa would have signed.

Hopefully he recovers fully from his injury.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Aug 2016, 8:27 pm

Losing patience with Aarons now & his injury record. The long awaited return of Mitrovic lasted 38 minutes tonight, as he goes off injured with a cut.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

Yeah they're dropping like flies.

At least Perez is scoring.

I agree re Aarons.... Getting silly now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm

Apparently Janmaat is on his way to Watford for a medical.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 24 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

So did I see right that Krul has joined Ajax on loan?

He's having a proper clear out isn't he.

That leaves us with Sels, Darlow, Elliott and Woodman doesn't it?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 25 Aug 2016, 2:32 pm

Mitrovic and Gayle are out on concussion protocol.

So I guess its Perez up front on his own next game. At least he got a couple last run out....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:54 pm

I'd say we've lost this game vs Brighton. Perez usually gets bullied up top & without Gayle or Mitro, there's a distinct lack of firepower. Aarons out for two months too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Aug 2016, 7:56 am

Depends....if he pushes Diame a bit forward...it could help.

Aarons is a pain in the back side. He's made of glass!

And Armstrong has signed a new 4 year deal. I still think he'll go out on loan this season to another championship side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 5:55 pm

Achraf Lazaar from #Palermo to #NUFC for €3.5m. New left back sorted, it appears. Also, Christian Atsu has been linked to join on loan to cover the injured Aarons. Daryl Murphy joining from Ipswich, hopefully a short stay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2016, 7:55 pm

That's a great win, given the opposition quality & the injuries we faced. Still a concern that our goals are predominantly from set-pieces, but at this stage picking up points is more important than performances. The fact we're upto fourth, still gelling as a side & not getting out of second or third gear, is really promising. Good to see Sels produce a solid performance & a top save towards the end. Still need one more signing, hopefully a winger of genuine quality.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sat 27 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm

Good luck with murph, he wasn't happy at town so it was best for us to sell him for a decent fee especially at his age. He will do a job in this league, good in the air and holds the ball up very well

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

Newcastle United forward Adam Armstrong has joined Sky Bet Championship side Barnsley on loan until January.

Makes sense for the lad, Benitez just doesn't fancy him right now to deliver.

Emmanuel Riviere has left to join Osasuna on a season-long loan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:57 am

Yeah ive seen so many people complaining about Armstrong going out on loan again.

But I really cant see the problem with it. Hes only 19, and at his age he needs regular gametime. He'll get that there.

As for Riviere, just seen that aswell...good, hopefully he makes it permanent and doesn't come back. Complete waste of time.

Theres also rumbles about Sissoko to Spurs - in a £30m deal...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

Sissoko to Everton/Tottenham to be confirmed for £30m

A very good window for NUFC. Sold the deadwood & made in excess of £80m, which is incredible business. Squad looks more than capable of gaining promotion this year, good depth & most importantly, a dressing room that looks happy & fully committed to the cause. Still question marks over a few additions, but all in all, I can't have many complaints. Alan Judge to possibly join in January too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:37 am

Yeah been the best summer for an awfully long time.

The squad should be strong enough to challenge for promotion. Atsu is a good signing as Aarons is a sicknote.

Sissoko is a great offload - it was Tottenham in the end wasn't it? £30m!!!! Good riddance.

Just need to get their heads down now keep working on gelling as a team and get the wins.

Interesting Sterry went on loan. I thought he might have got a few games , but it wont hurt him being out on loan. If he progresses as I hope he will be a definite starter for years to come.

I noticed a few of the youngsters actually got loan deals, which will help them develop. Theres a few worth watching over the next few years.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2016, 7:29 pm

Derby 0-2 Newcastle

Four straight league wins & looking defensively superb under Rafa now. Upto second in the league & in the automatic promotion places

Great to see Adam Armstrong score the winner on debut for Barnsley

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

Yeah they look like they have sorted out the odd thing and are happy with the tactics etc now.

Looking strong.

Yeah good to see Adam scoring so quickly.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:41 pm

QPR 0-6 Newcastle United

Outstanding performance. Shelvey was different class tonight & great to see Mitrovic bag his first goal of the season. Five wins on the bounce Yahoo

Losing those opening two games, was probably the best thing that could of ever happened to us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 14 Sep 2016, 9:46 am

Yeah a very good performance. They look very good in this division.

They'll be difficult to beat in this division I think.

Question:
How many of the players from last season have found their level.

Ie Do you think Shelvey is a Premiership player who has lsot his way / not fulfilled his potential ...or is he a championship player whos found his level.

I could ask the same question for a few of them.

And how many of this squad will be kept if they go up?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:21 pm

I'll just put a few quid on the Toon to win the Championship at a canter... Whistle

Great result last night - happy for you guys. Expect you'll be replacing Sunderland next season. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:38 pm

The thing that Sunderland have to worry about is that if they go down I cant see them coming back up for quite some time!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

Quite a few have found their level, Gouffran being the prime example. Shelvey & Ritchie are the only PL standard players we've got, the rest need to continue to develop this season & under Rafa's guidance, they need to prove they are capable of playing for the club, back in the PL. Players like Perez, Mbemba, Lascelles & Hayden are all on the cusp of being good enough & should be included as part of the core for next season.

Does appear that Newcastle & Norwich are starting to rise to the top now & will threaten to break-away during the next month or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 14 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

Mitro aswell hopefully.

I think that Atsu looks a decent bit of business.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:54 am

Despite the fact we could have been 5-0 up in the first 20 mins...we played our get out of jail card at the end!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next