The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking?

+49
Soul Requiem
No 7&1/2
Dolphin Ziggler
Shifty
TightHEAD
tigertattie
maestegmafia
The Great Aukster
Geen sport voor watjes
Sin é
Exiledinborders
RobertSp
dyrewolfe
Rugby Fan
mystiroakey
George Carlin
WELL-PAST-IT
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
LeinsterFan4life
David-Douglas
TJ
carpet baboon
BamBam
Gooseberry
aucklandlaurie
GLove39
Allty
profitius
Cumbrian
HammerofThunor
Irish Londoner
Big
Alex_Germany
offload
quinsforever
funnyExiledScot
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
stub
thebandwagonsociety
Notch
Geordie
rodders
LondonTiger
whocares
SecretFly
TrailApe
lostinwales
53 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking? - Page 12 Empty EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking?

Post by Sin é Fri 03 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just curious to know what you all think and what way you will be voting.

Will it have an affect on rugby (from point of view of bringing in non-British players, coaches for example).
Will sterling devalue so that it will be impossible for English clubs to compete with French Euro clubs
What about Scotland? Will this push them out of the UK?
How about Ulster fans - are you looking forward to the reinstallation of the Border?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking? - Page 12 Empty Re: EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking?

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:37 am

quinsforever wrote:there is so much wrong with your post it's impossible to know where to start

bottom line. the EU cannot stop itself from REGULATING in the belief that IT KNOWS BEST.

the UK, and US, believe that CONSUMERS and INDIVIDUALS are the best ones to make their own decisions and that the market (and not government regulation) is the best way for an economy to allocate resources to meet that consumer demand.

i know which system my bet is on in anything beyond the very political short-term.

This is a great basis for an argument. Absolutes either way tend to lead to disaster in the long term. You can definitely argue that too much regulation stifles growth, but you can also argue that the quality of life by any reasonable assessment is going down in the USA, and going up in Europe. I'd also argue that freedom of choice in the USA is increasingly an illusion, that unfettered 'choice' has lead to the growth of a few companies to the point at which they are close to being uncontrollable.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking? - Page 12 Empty Re: EU exit - So folks what are you all thinking?

Post by rodders Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:50 am

lostinwales wrote:
quinsforever wrote:there is so much wrong with your post it's impossible to know where to start

bottom line. the EU cannot stop itself from REGULATING in the belief that IT KNOWS BEST.

the UK, and US, believe that CONSUMERS and INDIVIDUALS are the best ones to make their own decisions and that the market (and not government regulation) is the best way for an economy to allocate resources to meet that consumer demand.

i know which system my bet is on in anything beyond the very political short-term.

This is a great basis for an argument. Absolutes either way tend to lead to disaster in the long term. You can definitely argue that too much regulation stifles growth, but you can also argue that the quality of life by any reasonable assessment is going down in the USA, and going up in Europe. I'd also argue that freedom of choice in the USA is increasingly an illusion, that unfettered 'choice' has lead to the growth of a few companies to the point at which they are close to being uncontrollable.

Obviously quins still believes in the american dream. If you allow the market to operate completely without regulation eventually this leads to a small number of companies and individuals having complete monopoly, leading to no consumer choice at all.

Pretty much like we see in the US. High growth but with low wages, poor working conditions and standard of living for the majority.

I'll take the EU over that any day as it aims to maintain a much better balance between economic growth and citizens rights.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 06 Feb 2020, 9:51 pm

tosh

85% of all employment in the UK and USA is at SMEs. Small and Medium sized Enterprises.

and they have quite a lot of consumer choice i think you will find.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 07 Feb 2020, 6:47 am

What sort of brexit would be a failure for you quins. Try to be specific.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:What sort of brexit would be a failure for you quins. Try to be specific.

There can be no failure now that we are free of the tyranny of Brussels. We have cast off the yoke of oppression and set sail on our own voyage of discovery.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:29 am

Apparently all flights out of the UK would simply stop the day we left the EU....even birds would not be able to fly they would be grounded.

....Although is Coronavirus the start of it....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:47 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Apparently all flights out of the UK would simply stop the day we left the EU....even birds would not be able to fly they would be grounded.

....Although is Coronavirus the start of it....

I can see why you'd be concerned, Falcon.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:50 am

Nothing has changed because of the transition period. The goalposts have just been moved forward 12 months, gives BoJo the chance to negotiate his world conquering deal

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

BamBam wrote:Nothing has changed because of the transition period. The goalposts have just been moved forward 12 months, gives BoJo the chance to negotiate his world conquering deal

Yis don't want to conquer the world again do yis? Shocked

I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:03 am

SecretFly wrote:
BamBam wrote:Nothing has changed because of the transition period. The goalposts have just been moved forward 12 months, gives BoJo the chance to negotiate his world conquering deal

Yis don't want to conquer the world again do yis? Shocked

I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.

Didn't you know that leaving the EU would mean we'd bring the empire back? England on top of the world, in its rightful place

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:23 am

11 months as currently transition period ends on 31st December. I think BoZo/Dom announced negotiations would start in March so we can knock another month off.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:33 am

Easiest deal ever, German car manufacturers etc etc

They'll be back for tea and crumpets by Easter

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:38 am

Aldi are buying Mercedes. But only selling six packs of them in stores in the EU! Yahoo

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 09 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:What sort of brexit would be a failure for you quins. Try to be specific.
not falling into your trap of making "specific" predictions.

a brexit failure for me would be one which saw the UK in any way subject to EU regulations which hampered the UK's ability to be globally competitive. i back UK innovation and entrepreneurialism and the anglo-saxon capital model over centrally controlled Franco-German approach every single time.

whenever i hear a european politician say the uk isnt a member of the club anymore it can't have all the benefits, that cracks me up....because if we had thought they were "all...benefits", we clearly would never have left!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 09 Feb 2020, 6:17 pm

quinsforever wrote:
whenever i hear a european politician say the uk isnt a member of the club anymore it can't have all the benefits, that cracks me up....because if we had thought they were "all...benefits", we clearly would never have left!

Exactly. Orwellian doublespeak. You can't continuously tell people they are having a swell time if they are continuously voting to insist they ain't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 09 Feb 2020, 6:22 pm

Ab yes the old trap of asking what you voted for. Fair enough you dont know. Do you think what you want is realistic as if we want to trade with the eu we'll have to meet their regulations?
Also which exact regulations have meant that the uk havent been globally competitive?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 10 Feb 2020, 7:53 am

quinsforever wrote:
not falling into your trap of making "specific" predictions.

a brexit failure for me would be one which saw the UK in any way subject to EU regulations which hampered the UK's ability to be globally competitive. i back UK innovation and entrepreneurialism and the anglo-saxon capital model over centrally controlled Franco-German approach every single time.

Brexit was sold as a cost free exercise. What benefits there are will be replicated through redistributing the money we gave the EU and all those fab trade deals. Oh and, of course, 'Project fear' - damn experts that we don't need anymore.

Reality is that most of the benefits we have taken for granted ( or the government did it best to take the credit just like it blames EU for so much that is down to local policies) and we won't miss them until they are gone.

Of course it won't be all bad but it could take years to recover and personally I am fed up with austerity

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:40 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ab yes the old trap of asking what you voted for. Fair enough you dont know. Do you think what you want is realistic as if we want to trade with the eu we'll have to meet their regulations?
Also which exact regulations have meant that the uk havent been globally competitive?
trade with the EU will still happen even if we fall back onto WTO terms

which i actually think is fairly likely, as the gap between what the EU are demanding and what the UK gov't is prepared to submit to, is too wide to bridge in a year.

the regulations i am talking about are the "level playing field" ones the EU insists we will have to abide by going forwards, ie, abiding by EU standards on Environmental Policies, employment law and benefits, state-aid, and not undercutting the EU on Tax.

there is no country in the world in a Free Trade Agreement with any other countries, that agrees to abide by their standards on the above issues. it's just an absurd demand.

all countries have to meet product standards of the countries they want to export to. that's the basis of trade. but this other guff? imagine if we told China they had to pay 8 pounds an hour minimum wage to all employees? can you imagine the hysterical laughter? because that's exactly what the EU are effectively demanding, in several areas.

how about the EU tackle its own member states environmental records, and tax cheating (Ireland, Luxembourg, etc) before they try to dictate what the UK can do?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:42 am

Yeah, why would we want employment rights. Down with that sort of thing!

After all, the Tories have always had the best interests of the working man at heart haven't they, no worries there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:46 am

So no trade deal and WTO is something youd be happy with then quins. Wouldn't you be upset that this wasnt set out by anyone ahead of the referendum? That was labelled as scaremongering. And again according to the prime minister dropping workers rights etc is project fear. So are you actually saying the version of Brexit people voted for wont be good enough for you?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 10 Feb 2020, 10:20 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:So no trade deal and WTO is something youd be happy with then quins. Wouldn't you be upset that this wasnt set out by anyone ahead of the referendum? That was labelled as scaremongering. And again according to the prime minister dropping workers rights etc is project fear. So are you actually saying the version of Brexit people voted for wont be good enough for you?

Didn't quins emigrate to NZ?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 10:22 am

Ha really. Would be a typical viewpoint then. Like those pensioners in Spain.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Mon 10 Feb 2020, 10:29 am

Certainly some of my reasons for wanting to stay was to keep employment rights high and to ensure high standards  in the UK. We don't know what will happen yet, but I do fear that conditions and standards for many will be eroded over the coming years as we look to get an edge.

I'm at the point now where I just hope I am wrong and things will turn out better than I anticipate.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:24 am

lostinwales wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:So no trade deal and WTO is something youd be happy with then quins. Wouldn't you be upset that this wasnt set out by anyone ahead of the referendum? That was labelled as scaremongering. And again according to the prime minister dropping workers rights etc is project fear. So are you actually saying the version of Brexit people voted for wont be good enough for you?

that was yappy, a different quins fan. I know they all look alike but......

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:31 am

LondonTiger wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

that was yappy, a different quins fan. I know they all look alike but......

Haha!!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2020, 1:56 pm

i'm still in the UK Smile

there is going to be no shredding of workers rights or anything else. at the end of the day our politicians are answerable to us at the ballot box.

but being bound to EU non-product standards forever as demanded by Macron (workers rights, environmental protections, tax, etc) is a complete non-starter. We will decide all these things based on what best fits our overall needs and priorities as a country.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm

this doesnt make a lot of sense.

i dont remember a slate of different versions of brexit to vote for.

given where we are, yes, WTO is better than the alternative - signing up forever to EU standards on employment rights, tax, environmental protections, state aid, things in which we have no say. And the EU being able to unilaterally punish us and remove and trading rights they see fit based on an perceived transgressions.

not happy about WTO at all. But much prefer it to having no say over all our above standards and being a legal and trade subsidiary to the EU.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 2:05 pm

But we were repeatedly told that wto was project fear. So are you saying you voted for that now despite the assurances you weren't?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:24 pm

i don't remember anything on the referendum about WTO, FTA, customs union. or on the last two general election ballots.

a vote to leave was a vote to leave. especially with all the warnings from, as you say, project FEAR.

people's decisions were made with a lot more time and effort than goes into your rapid-fire pedantic posts...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:46 pm

Ah theres no real point in arguing. You'll think brexit is great no matter what. It's got to the point where people who voted for it are not too embarrassed not to go all in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:39 am

quinsforever wrote:i don't remember anything on the referendum about WTO, FTA, customs union. or on the last two general election ballots.

a vote to leave was a vote to leave. especially with all the warnings from, as you say, project FEAR.

people's decisions were made with a lot more time and effort than goes into your rapid-fire pedantic posts...

Well you must have been asleep then because most of the debate, aside from immigration, centered around whether or not the UK could maintain the same access to the single market outside the EU. The remain side said we wouldn't be able to, this was dismissed as "project fear" by leave.

Boris in 2016 "Our policy is having our cake and eating it."

Now the UK government says we need to prepare for trade restrictions as we won't be aligning with EU rules.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 11 Feb 2020, 9:50 am

Yep. Gove is the same minister who spouted off about no changes to market access, now he's standing there with the brass neck to tell us about the trade restrictions as if it was always going to be the case

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 11 Feb 2020, 10:59 am

History will judge them. I fear future generations will draw parallels between this period and the 1930's, with many of the same mistakes being made.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:07 am

I fear it will a brighter happier UK and future generations will hide the old photos of frowning Granddads and Great Granddads festooned in the EU badges.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:19 am

SecretFly wrote:I fear it will a brighter happier UK and future generations will hide the old photos of frowning Granddads and Great Granddads festooned in the EU badges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHXTG3uyY

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:22 am

Yeah, the Great Escape.... good luck. OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:26 am

SecretFly wrote:I fear it will a brighter happier UK and future generations will hide the old photos of frowning Granddads and Great Granddads festooned in the EU badges.

Right now I wouldn't bet the UK will exist beyond the decade.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Feb 2020, 11:38 am

Well, wait a few years and then perhaps place that bet.  Timing is everything Rodders.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 13 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

SecretFly wrote:Well, wait a few years and then perhaps place that bet.  Timing is everything Rodders.

Even I'd bet on the UK going bye bye in the next decade.

I think it is wrong for Scotland to leave the UK, I think it is wrong for the UK to leave Europe.

Unfortunately, the SNP, who really don’t give a flying rat's backside about the EU, are using it as political leverage on how "Scotland's voice hasn’t been listened to" in order to ram the independence debate down folks throats again.

I can then see NI not wanting to be part of the UK and separated further from Ireland and the EU. Then we'll be looking at a unification of the island.

It then comes down to Wales and England who did vote to leave Europe. I can't see Wales wanting to hang about with England without it's Celtic cousins to back them up in arguments with Westminster.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 13 Feb 2020, 1:23 pm

Legally it is much easier for Scotland and NI to leave the UK. Much harder for Wales to go alone as it is much closer embedded with England.

NI could well leave UK before Scotland, and if UK sees much of an economic downturn would be financially better off as part of a unified Ireland. Perhaps 50/50 to happen before the end of this decade.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2020, 2:32 pm

tigertattie wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Well, wait a few years and then perhaps place that bet.  Timing is everything Rodders.

I think it is wrong for Scotland to leave the UK, I think it is wrong for the UK to leave Europe.

Unfortunately, the SNP, who really don’t give a flying rat's backside about the EU, are using it as political leverage on how "Scotland's voice hasn’t been listened to" in order to ram the independence debate down folks throats again.

I can then see NI not wanting to be part of the UK and separated further from Ireland and the EU. Then we'll be looking at a unification of the island.

It then comes down to Wales and England who did vote to leave Europe. I can't see Wales wanting to hang about with England without it's Celtic cousins to back them up in arguments with Westminster.

Supposing all that happens.  Ireland unites, Scotland, Wales AND England become truly Independent in political terms.... what then?

An agreement reached between all National Governments to cooperate on the islands in the spirit of friendliness, good trading relationships and special status ease of travel for citizens between those Nations?  Why?  Because it would be necessary to be close enough partners and friends.  Business and politics is business and politics.  Ways would have to be found to make the new reality work for all.

But why not leave well enough alone then?

Because in the 21st century, this World for whatever reasons (natural yearning or political manipulation) doesn't want to leave well enough alone.  Revolutions big and small are taking place and who is to say they shouldn't?  They always have.  
The world at the beginning of the 20th century was markedly different to the end of it.  The world at the beginning of the 19th century was different to the end of it.  And yet 100 years in and of itself isn't all that long really.  Many human beings live that long.  

This is the stage we're at, whether any of us like it or not.  After a few quiet years at the beginning, this 21st century now wants to kick ahead to produce a markedly different one by the time it ends.  
None of us have a clue what that world will be like but it wouldn't be a tragedy if at the beginning of it four territorially Independent Nations decided to live, work and get on together in a place on the Northeastern rim of the Atlantic Ocean.  The future doesn't always have to be a gloomy dream.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Thu 13 Feb 2020, 4:04 pm

Thoughtful stuff that Fly and it's very true that historically speaking this is just part of the ebb and flow of the world over time. Got me thinking though, it sounds like you have some real historical perspective yourself, you're not one of those 100 yr olds you mention are you?!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:35 am

SecretFly wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Supposing all that happens.  Ireland unites, Scotland, Wales AND England become truly Independent in political terms.... what then?

An agreement reached between all National Governments to cooperate on the islands in the spirit of friendliness, good trading relationships and special status ease of travel for citizens between those Nations?  Why?  Because it would be necessary to be close enough partners and friends.  Business and politics is business and politics.  Ways would have to be found to make the new reality work for all.

But why not leave well enough alone then?

Fly I think the Brexit referendum highlighted something that whilst pretty obvious on the ground has never really previously manifested itself politically due to FPTP voting - that the UK is extremely divided politically with Wales and parts of England (the Northern towns and cities, south coast) much further to the right than Scotland, cosmopolitan England (London, Manchester) and most of NI.

What we've seen in the subsequent elections is Scotland, NI and Southern Ireland shift further left and the UK dominated by English voters has shifted dramatically right.

If that trend continues it is hard to see how the Union survives, or post Union what sort of close political agreement between the nations on these Islands could be agreed, that would resemble anything like we see now.

In all likely hood we could well have a United Ireland with a Sinn Fein majority government and an Independent Scotland with the SNP at the helm, both inside the EU with England and Wales outside, within a decade. We'd have EU frontiers between England and Wales and a sea border between Ireland and Wales.

All unthinkable a few years ago, now who would bet against it?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
Why do you think the UK is so keen to avoid any legally binding alignment commitments to EU standards?

It's not doom-mongering it is all very clear what lies ahead and whether or not any of us will benefit or not from being outside the EU, depending on our individual circumstance. I'd suggest if you work for a living then most likely not.

So EU standards increase the cost of production, increase the cost of products to the consumer, increase the cost of living, increase the wages demanded by workers?
It's natural.  It's a natural flow.

So in that full economic loop, where's the brake? The EU adds more and more 'standards', as they are very much more an habitual law creating legislative body than a simple Trading bloc/entity.  They won't stop producing higher standards for everything because that's how they do the 'protectionist' element and create an internal captive market for EU produced goods.
Ask any farmer you might know, for example, how much bookwork is now demanded from people who simply want to, have the skills to and enjoyed producing foodstuffs for the market.  Farmers are not natural Office people - they are producers.  
Employing someone else to look after the bookwork increases their costs.  That finally gets to the consumer.  Getting a spouse to do the bookwork for free is giving the State yet another unpaid worker bee.

Yes, there is a need for quality assurances when public health is to be considered but farmers know how many acres of the paperwork is excessive and actively designed to kill off their enthusiasm so that Agriculture becomes solely a big industry with large companies controlling most agricultural acreage. Excessive Standards kill off people who wish to Work for a living.

So the alternative?  The loop in reverse?  Less bureaucratic standards and compliance paperwork, less cost of production, less price to the consumer, more competitiveness with the larger world outside EU borders, less burden on consumers buying services and products, less need for soaring salaries.... but still income enough to live comfortably within that alternative loop?
Greed creates the template for ever increasing standard demands as companies themselves can lobby for tougher codes as they know doing so forces weaker competitors out of the market and indeed, as a consequence, virtually turns their services or products into mandatory purchases.  But greed creates the first chunk in that Standards loop that goes all the way to ever highening costs of living v ever increasing need for more income.

CAP ensures that farmers are not out of pocket for complying with EU standards and completing the paperwork. As for cheaper food without the EU getting involved. I saw some figures on the breakdown of beef production costs. Irish farmers were getting about €2.15 per kilo for beef from the factories. The actual cost of producing a kilo is €2.75. Without CAP (and relying on market demand) farmers would just go out of business which would lead to food shortages.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:43 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
Why do you think the UK is so keen to avoid any legally binding alignment commitments to EU standards?

It's not doom-mongering it is all very clear what lies ahead and whether or not any of us will benefit or not from being outside the EU, depending on our individual circumstance. I'd suggest if you work for a living then most likely not.

So EU standards increase the cost of production, increase the cost of products to the consumer, increase the cost of living, increase the wages demanded by workers?

So in that full economic loop, where's the brake? The EU adds more and more 'standards', as they are very much more an habitual law creating legislative body than a simple Trading bloc/entity.  They won't stop producing higher standards for everything because that's how they do the 'protectionist' element and create an internal captive market for EU produced goods.
Ask any farmer you might know, for example, how much bookwork is now demanded from people who simply want to, have the skills to and enjoyed producing foodstuffs for the market.  Farmers are not natural Office people - they are producers.  
Employing someone else to look after the bookwork increases their costs.  That finally gets to the consumer.  Getting a spouse to do the bookwork for free is giving the State yet another unpaid worker bee.

Yes, there is a need for quality assurances when public health is to be considered but farmers know how many acres of the paperwork is excessive and actively designed to kill off their enthusiasm so that Agriculture becomes solely a big industry with large companies controlling most agricultural acreage. Excessive Standards kill off people who wish to Work for a living.

So the alternative?  The loop in reverse?  Less bureaucratic standards and compliance paperwork, less cost of production, less price to the consumer, more competitiveness with the larger world outside EU borders, less burden on consumers buying services and products, less need for soaring salaries.... but still income enough to live comfortably within that alternative loop?
Greed creates the template for ever increasing standard demands as companies themselves can lobby for tougher codes as they know doing so forces weaker competitors out of the market and indeed, as a consequence, virtually turns their services or products into mandatory purchases.  But greed creates the first chunk in that Standards loop that goes all the way to ever highening costs of living v ever increasing need for more income.

CAP ensures that farmers are not out of pocket for complying with EU standards and completing the paperwork. As for cheaper food without the EU getting involved. I saw some figures on the breakdown of beef production costs. Irish farmers were getting about €2.15 per kilo for beef from the factories. The actual cost of producing a kilo is €2.75. Without CAP (and relying on market demand) farmers would just go out of business which would lead to food shortages.

Dont worry Sin, we'll not be short on beef because we'll get a trade deal with the yanks to bring in thier chorinated, hormone injected, full of antibiotics beef at $2 a kilo.

Its Irish pork, Scotch beef, Scotch lamb (or even the Welsh stuff) for me thanks.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:58 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:

Dont worry Sin, we'll not be short on beef because we'll get a trade deal with the yanks to bring in thier chorinated, hormone injected, full of antibiotics beef at $2 a kilo.

Its Irish pork, Scotch beef, Scotch lamb (or even the Welsh stuff) for me thanks.

Boris just did a deal with Uganda to buy beef, so you should be ok!
https://www.farminguk.com/news/ugandan-beef-will-have-honoured-place-in-uk-pm-says_54809.html

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:18 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:

The problem is with tariff free imports and no requirement for standards many British farms will go out of business, so hormone injected beef will be all there is.

Also if food is packaged in the UK the label can state that as the origin, so you can have US chicken labelled as British, so you won't know the difference.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:22 pm

Rodders as it is, we only know where the stuff we buy directly from butchers/supermarkets comes from. We don't know anything about what restaurants, take-aways etc. use. Its up to EU inspectors/Food Safety Authority to check all that.

PS -nice to see that Northern Ireland will be able to export chicken to Uganda thanks to Boris!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 14 Feb 2020, 2:55 pm

Rodders (I'm remoing the quote spam)

Country of origin appears on the label of some food products. In the EU, it is a legal requirement to label beef and veal by the country where the animal was born, the country of fattening and the country of slaughter.

It is also a legal requirement to label the country of fattening and the country of slaughter on fresh or frozen meat from pigs, sheep and poultry.

It would be more helpful if the label also had to show the country where the animal was born, as is the case for beef and veal, it will indicate to some extent whether there has been long distance live animal transport, the length of the food chain and the number of different countries involved.

In short, Scotch beef (to be labelled Scotch beef) has to have been born, reared and slaughtered in Scotland to be givne that label.

Most lamb is the same but it can be from. say NZ, mistreated, then shipped over here to fatten up then be killed.

Chicken is a bit of a lottery. Pork too (that still mostly comes form Denmark)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Feb 2020, 3:24 pm

tigertattie wrote:Rodders (I'm remoing the quote spam)

Country of origin appears on the label of some food products. In the EU, it is a legal requirement to label beef and veal by the country where the animal was born, the country of fattening and the country of slaughter.

It is also a legal requirement to label the country of fattening and the country of slaughter on fresh or frozen meat from pigs, sheep and poultry.

It would be more helpful if the label also had to show the country where the animal was born, as is the case for beef and veal, it will indicate to some extent whether there has been long distance live animal transport, the length of the food chain and the number of different countries involved.

In short, Scotch beef (to be labelled Scotch beef) has to have been born, reared and slaughtered in Scotland to be givne that label.

Most lamb is the same but it can be from. say NZ, mistreated, then shipped over here to fatten up then be killed.

Chicken is a bit of a lottery. Pork too (that still mostly comes form Denmark)

Based on EU rules yes, but one of the requirements set out for the US -UK trade deal was to change the rules around COOL.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next