The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night)

+23
little_badger
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
belovedfrosties
WELL-PAST-IT
Poorfour
trebellbobaggins
Heaf
Pot Hale
Rugby Fan
ChequeredJersey
Cumbrian
No 7&1/2
Biltong
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
propdavid_london
fa0019
yappysnap
bluestonevedder
LondonTiger
BamBam
Geordie
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night) - Page 3 Empty Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night)

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

England Saxons match-day 23 for first game against South Africa ‘A’

15. Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)
14. Alex Lewington (London Irish)
13. Nick Tompkins (Saracens)
12. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby, 1 senior England cap)
11. Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby, 1 senior England cap)
10. Danny Cipriani (Wasps, 14 senior England caps)
9. Dan Robson (Wasps)

1. Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs)
2. Tommy Taylor (Wasps, 1 senior England cap)
3. Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints, 16 senior England caps)
4. Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby, 23 senior England caps) (C)
5. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
6. Donovan Armand (Exeter Chiefs)
7. Matt Kvesic (Gloucester, 3 senior England caps)
8. Sam Jones (Wasps)

Replacements:

16. George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons)
17. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley (Wasps)
19. Mitch Lees (Exeter Chiefs)
20. Dave Ewers (Exeter Chiefs)
21. Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)
22. Sam James (Sale Sharks)
23. Christian Wade (Wasps, 1 senior England cap)

South Africa ‘A’:

15 Leolin Zas
14 Travis Ismaiel
13 Francois Venter
12 Howard Mnisi
11 Courtnall Skosan
10 Garth April
9 Nic Groom

8 Nizaam Carr
7 Oupa Mohoje (c)
6 Sikhumbuzo Notshe
5 Stephan Lewies
4 JD Schickerling
3 Vincent Koch
2 Scarra Ntubeni
1 Thomas du Toit

Replacements: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Francois Brummer, 23 Lukhanyo Am

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night) - Page 3 Empty Re: Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night)

Post by Heaf Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:45 pm

I must admit I was surprised when I saw that Young was part of the squad ... surely we have better?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night) - Page 3 Empty Re: Saxons v SA(A) 1st Test - 10th June (Friday Night)

Post by yappysnap Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Micky Young very poor.

Otherwise the rest were pretty good.

Thought Robson and Tomkins were out danger men, note able that when Robson went off and as Tompkins tired we looked less threatening.

The ref was interesting to say the least.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Heaf wrote:I must admit I was surprised when I saw that Young was part of the squad ... surely we have better?

The resources are so thin this summer I wonder if maybe, right now, we don't for an A tour.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Well done to the Saxons, they were clinical on the counter and waited to punish every mistake of an overzealous you g bunch of South Africans.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Just a quick one, ref was really really poor in the second half, and i'm not sure how he was allowed to ref that game due the bias he had (intentional or not). he's great on the 7's circuit but needs to hone his craft a little more before the step to 15s.

For those complaining about SA kicking the ball out after 80 minutes and getting a lineout, this is one of the new laws that the SH have been trialing this year and is only allowed for penalties. England, Ireland and wales will be playing with this law in their series, i quite like it tbh.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Just a quick one, ref was really really poor in the second half, and i'm not sure how he was allowed to ref that game due the bias he had (intentional or not). he's great on the 7's circuit but needs to hone his craft a little more before the step to 15s.

For those complaining about SA kicking the ball out after 80 minutes and getting a lineout, this is one of the new laws that the SH have been trialing this year and is only allowed for penalties. England, Ireland and wales will be playing with this law in their series, i quite like it tbh.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:
Heaf wrote:I must admit I was surprised when I saw that Young was part of the squad ... surely we have better?

The resources are so thin this summer I wonder if maybe, right now, we don't for an A tour.

would have been fine if Simpson weren't in 7s and we could have used Dickson/Wriggles instead but would seem to not be moving things forward
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 pm

Surely it was no coincidence that when Young came on England went off the boil. The guy is utter turd and so slow at everything he does. Perhaps they are injured  but surely one of Harrison, Spencer, Cook,  Chudley,  Lewis, Braley, Dickson, Arr or even Bergamasco would have been better??
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:

would have been fine if Simpson weren't in 7s and we could have used Dickson/Wriggles instead but would seem to not be moving things forward
Young is moving things forward? OK, I get your point but I do wonder if it would have been a better service to the other players to have a proper professional level 9 instead of Young. I only caught the end of the match. England looked reasonably OK?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Actually, looking at the list HongKongCherry produced, I'm astounded that Young was picked. At least Chudley, Spencer, Lewis would make more sense
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:56 pm

I am Haley's new biggest fan. Taylor good around the park, Tompkins and Robson very good.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Home refs always favour the home side. It was always thus. Always hard to take though. Some really good performances though. The backline was brilliant. Mickey young has got a much more superior pass to Ben Youngs.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm

belovedfrosties wrote:Just a quick one, ref was really really poor in the second half, and i'm not sure how he was allowed to ref that game due the bias he had (intentional or not).  he's great on the 7's circuit but needs to hone his craft a little more before the step to 15s.

For those complaining about SA kicking the ball out after 80 minutes and getting a lineout, this is one of the new laws that the SH have been trialing this year and is only allowed for penalties.  England, Ireland and wales will be playing with this law in their series, i quite like it tbh.
But they were playing to the 'old rules' according to the ref earlier when SA got a penalty at the end of the first half.  I think it must have been that the clock on TV wasn't synchronised with the officials as just after they kicked the ball out the siren went off.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:40 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Surely it was no coincidence that when Young came on England went off the boil. The guy is utter turd and so slow at everything he does. Perhaps they are injured  but surely one of Harrison, Spencer, Cook,  Chudley,  Lewis, Braley, Dickson, Arr or even Bergamasco would have been better??
I agree, especially about Bergamasco!  So, serious question, why was Young taken on tour?  Certainly, this tour would have benefited any of the younger players. Bringing a more senior player like Dickson would help the rest of the team.  The only time I like to see Young playing is when he is playing for the opposition.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:56 am

Well the refereeing was certainly interesting. I thought the last penalty summed it up - a man clearly lying on the wrong side preventing the clear out, and the penalty goes the other way. Brookes had his LH on toast, but I don't think he got a single penalty.

Tompkins looks like he's starting to fulfil his potential. Cipriani and Devoto were good, Robson was excellent (what a try given he was carrying an injury). Haley and Hepburn also good. Overall decent mental strength and some great handling at times.

I don't understand why Chudley isn't on tour.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:42 am

As a Newcastle fan I was mystified by Young's inclusion, he's been delivering ball like that for us all season, so I'm not seeing what the England coaches saw in him. It is a mercy that he didn't go into box kicking mode...

Assuming they aren't injured I'd have preferred to see; Chris Cook, Sam Harrison or Will Chudley.

With my Northern hat on, I was really pleased to see Haley play so well, I just hope that Sale can keep hold of him. Perhaps with their new investors this will be possible.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:57 am

Tomkins was really very good. Am I right in thinking he's behind a few players at Sarries? That might change next season.

His step and has almost every time he got the ball was just tearing the SA boys apart.

Wasn't too impressed with Devoto, thought he tried too hard at times and seemed a bit rushed.

Also thought the 6 and 8 had quite games which was a shame as Armand in particular has had a good season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:30 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:

Good point. If they're not using the last two at all then that is weird.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Squad for 2nd game

15. Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)
14. Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby, 1 senior England cap)
13. Nick Tompkins (Saracens)
12. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby, 1 senior England cap)
11. Christian Wade (Wasps, 1 senior England cap)
10. Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks, 14 senior England caps)
9. Dan Robson (Wasps)
1. Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs)
2. Tommy Taylor (Sale Sharks, 1 senior England cap)
3. Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints, 16 senior England caps)
4. Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby, 23 senior England caps) (C)
5. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
6. Dave Ewers (Exeter Chiefs)
7. Matt Kvesic (Gloucester, 3 senior England caps)
8. Donovan Armand (Exeter Chiefs)

Replacements:
16. George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons)
17. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley (Wasps)
19. Mitch Lees (Exeter Chiefs)
20. Sam Jones (Wasps)
21. Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)
22. Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
23. Sam James (Sale Sharks)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:34 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:

Good point.  If they're not using the last two at all then that is weird.

why is it weird? WHat's the point in putting fully established, older players in the Saxons?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:38 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:

why is it weird? WHat's the point in putting fully established, older players in the Saxons?
Older, more experienced players can give better ball to the rest of the team and also a little veteran experience. I think that can actually be helpful to get good ball.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 am

Doc, that's true for Stringer and say Bath......But Micky Young and the Saxons! Don't think so.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:

Agree with that. Saxons should be a stepping stone, primarily giving newer players experience. It's why I am pleased Ashton turned it down as it gives less experienced wingers an opportunity.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:41 am

Personally I would rather they had taken Wiggy than Young. As mentioned he could have been a wise head on the bench and help younger players settle.

As it is I would still rather have taken Chudley, Cook or Spencer over Young (and if fit Harrison).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am

I'd have taken Spencer or Chudley
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Mind you, I would have taken Callum Braley and Henry Taylor over Young as well.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, I would have taken Callum Braley and Henry Taylor over Young as well.

I would have taken Dawson in his current celebrity quiz show captain over Young. In fact I would have taken all 6'3" and 17 stone of 60+ plus me, over young. At least it would have given people a laugh; plus I can still pass the ball more than 3m metres accurately.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Looks a decent side side for tomorrows game. Am glad to see Wade is starting among others.

It's incredible to think that neither Kitchener or Barrow made this quad, second row riches indeed.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:30 pm

I think Kitcheners chances are gone now. He wont make it now. Likewise I think Slaters chances are gone.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:26 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, I would have taken Callum Braley and Henry Taylor over Young as well.

In fact I would have taken all 6'3" and 17 stone of 60+ plus me, over young. At least it would have given people a laugh; plus I can still pass the ball more than 3m metres accurately.
Ah, the perfect body dimensions for a scrum half.

The fact that you can pass more accurately than Young is, unfortunately, not a laughing matter. Even worse, I have no doubts you are right.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:02 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think Kitcheners chances are gone now. He wont make it now. Likewise I think Slaters chances are gone.

Wouldn't write them off just yet. Things can change. They have in the 2nd row. Plus injuries can bring opportunities.

Both Slater and Kitchener will need good club seasons though. Also need to stay fit.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:10 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think Kitcheners chances are gone now. He wont make it now. Likewise I think Slaters chances are gone.

Agreed. Kitch's chance probably went:

a) The AIs when he was in EPS, but got injured and was replaced by Kruis.
b) The following 6Ns when Kruis got a short ban for a tip tackle for Sarries and thus was available for the 6Ns

Slater's chances were ruined by injury.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I was impressed with Barrow's end year form and hence my surprise he didn't may the Saxons (injury?).

If he continues to improve then I can't see why he couldn't offer a more physical option as required. Hopefully he has the nous to make those incremental improvements.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3