The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 Fixtures Finalised

+8
LeinsterFan4life
LondonTiger
RiscaGame
Notch
Pot Hale
Kingshu
munkian
Don Alfonso
12 posters

Go down

Pro12 Fixtures Finalised Empty Pro12 Fixtures Finalised

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:26 am

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php

Also -

"New for the forthcoming 2016/17 season, Championship organisers have designated six 'Big Weekends' across the season that will comprise of special intra-union derby matches as well as capitalising on the rivalry between the Italian and Scottish clubs.

The 'Big Weekends' will include signature match-ups such as the 1872 Cup Scottish derby, the annual Leinster versus Munster game at the Aviva Stadium, the Italian derby and the double header Judgement Day spectacular between the Welsh Regions...

The first 'Big Weekend' round will take place in Round 6 with the clash between Leinster and Munster at the Aviva Stadium headlining a weekend that also includes Connacht v Ulster, Scarlets v Dragons, Ospreys v Cardiff Blues, Edinburgh v Treviso and Zebre v Glasgow.

There are also two back-to-back Big Weekends during the festive season in Round 11 and Round 12. And the regular season will end with 'Super Saturday' and six big intra-union matches in Round 22 and include the second and final leg of the 1872 Cup between Edinburgh and the Warriors at BT Murrayfield.

All Round 22 games will kick-off simultaneously to see who makes it through to the all-important Semi Finals."

70 of the first 78 matches broadcast live.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/19932.php#1RqxhkMdqyjpbmy0.99

Let the passive-aggressive yapping, conspiracies and fingerprinting commence!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Fixtures Finalised Empty Re: Pro12 Fixtures Finalised

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:55 am

PRO12 have managed to reduce the Sunday games for the Regions. Only three this season, and two of those are on New Years day.

One less complaint.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:11 am

Yupp, get in
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 am

"as well as capitalising on the rivalry between the Italian and Scottish clubs"

Wasn't aware there was one, but its not fair everyone else gets six derby games and the Scottish sides only get two.

To create this I see that the 1872 games and been moved slightly from home and away at Christmas and new year, to be Christmas and the second leg is last game of the regular season? (above says Round 22 and include the second and final leg of the 1872 Cup between Edinburgh and the Warriors at BT Murrayfield, but fixture list has Glasgow at home, think they made a mistake above)

Scotstoun should sell out for that anyway so it seams to be a sensible move.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 am

No more Sunday games??

Bloody typical - the Welsh getting their own way again in the Pry12.

Whistle
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:00 am

Anyway Ulster have our by now traditional, very tough run in at the end of the season
Munster away, Ospreys away, Leinster at home.

Looks like work has been done to remove Sunday games, with only one in round 9, and the only other ones scheduled are on New Years.

However it means more Friday days which suit the teams in bigger areas but not the smaller areas, que some fans happy and some giving out about Friday games.

Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues should all be happy with Fridays games (Dragons as well, anything but Sunday)

Scarlets, Connacht, Munster generally are not so fond of Friday games.

Each of Scarlets, Munster and Connacht have two Friday homes games in the first 13 rounds, so it appears to be fairly spread about. Dragons have 3.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:01 am

It's good that the Sunday fixtures have been sorted. Better for us all really. Begs the question of why the Sunday fixtures couldn't have been sorted sooner?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:06 am

Kingshu wrote:Anyway Ulster have our by now traditional, very tough run in at the end of the season
Munster away, Ospreys away, Leinster at home.

Looks like work has been done to remove Sunday games, with only one in round 9, and the only other ones scheduled are on New Years.

However it means more Friday days which suit the teams in bigger areas but not the smaller areas, que some fans happy and some giving out about Friday games.

Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues should all be happy with Fridays games (Dragons as well, anything but Sunday)

Scarlets, Connacht, Munster generally are not so fond of Friday games.

Each of Scarlets, Munster and Connacht have two Friday homes games in the first 13 rounds, so it appears to be fairly spread about. Dragons have 3.

Yep, another tough run in. In a way I think it's a good thing as it keep the pressure on throughout the season. We simply have to get a home semi this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:20 am

I like a tough run-in. It means if you get to the playoffs, you're more battle hardened imo. Or it can do anyway.

If you do your job earlier in the season you should have enough credit in the bank to survive even the toughest run-in. And if you have aspirations of winning the thing, you should be able to win those games.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:07 am

Ah well, zero points for Ulster first up.

Glad S4C have become a Saturday evening slot. Would like to see a bit of a relationship with Dragons and Newport RFC on a few Saturdays and coincide some of our games with some of theirs. Gwent derbies mostly, especially now another Gwent team is in the Welsh Prem.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:19 am

Munchkin wrote:It's good that the Sunday fixtures have been sorted. Better for us all really. Begs the question of why the Sunday fixtures couldn't have been sorted sooner?

Sky wanting the Saturday games to themselves as the primary broadcaster and getting their foothold established in the first couple of seasons.   Note Anayi's comment about thanking them to allow S4C to get the Welsh games on that day.  Sky continue to have the afternoon and early evening games which is good.

The interpro derbies on the final round seems like a good idea.

I'm trying to work out what are the 6 Big Weekends.  Anayi had said that he wanted to get more of them in so he's managed to achieve that with an early one in Round 6 and the derbies in Round 22.  There's two lots at Christmas/New Year which is also good.  What are the other two?   I see that for the weekend of 14/15 April, they've scheduled derbies in Ireland and Wales, and Scottish/Italian games, so the Judgement day is now a derby weekend from what I can see.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:25 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Munchkin wrote:It's good that the Sunday fixtures have been sorted. Better for us all really. Begs the question of why the Sunday fixtures couldn't have been sorted sooner?

Sky wanting the Saturday games to themselves as the primary broadcaster and getting their foothold established in the first couple of seasons.   Note Anayi's comment about thanking them to allow S4C to get the Welsh games on that day.  Sky continue to have the afternoon and early evening games which is good.

I'm trying to work out what are the 6 Big Weekends.  Anayi had said that he wanted to get more of them in so he's managed to achieve that with an early one in Round 6 and the derbies in Round 22.  There's two lots at Christmas/New Year which is also good.  What are the other two?   I see that for the weekend of 14/15 April, they've scheduled derbies in Ireland and Wales, and Scottish/Italian games, so the Judgement day is now a derby weekend from what I can see.

Thanks, Pot. I didn't spot the bit on SKY.

I think the 6 Big Weekends are Rounds 6, 11, 12, 22, 23 and 24.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:35 am

Munchkin wrote:Thanks, Pot. I didn't spot the bit on SKY.

So 4 from the normal schedule and the playoffs?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:24 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

From reading the article and looking at the fixture list, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. I could be wrong, and happy to be corrected Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:31 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

No I don't think so. I've spotted them now. It's Rounds 6 & 7 - either side of the European pool matches in October. Rounds 11 & 12 for Christmas and New Year. Round 20 on April 14/15 and final round 22 on 6 May. They've scheduled all the derbies into single weekends - with Scotland and Italy being devised as a further "derby" rivalry, since both have only 2 teams each.

The intention is to build greater attendances over these Big Weekends as a precursor to Anayi's plan to move to conference structure and reduced number of league games, with no league matches during test windows.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

No I don't think so.   I've spotted them now.  It's Rounds 6 & 7 - either side of the European pool matches in October. Rounds 11 & 12 for Christmas and New Year.  Round 20 on April 14/15 and final round 22 on 6 May.   They've scheduled all the derbies into single weekends - with Scotland and Italy being devised as a further "derby" rivalry, since both have only 2 teams each.

The intention is to build greater attendances over these Big Weekends as a precursor to Anayi's plan to move to conference structure and reduced number of league games, with no league matches during test windows.

Think you're right, Pot.

Seems like it's the first of changes, and hopefully changes that produce the desired result if we are to move to a conference structure. Have to say I'm fairly excited about the future of PRO12.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

Wait, so the are you saying that the sunday fixtures were being determined by the broadcasters and not the Irish? Shocked

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm over the moon with the kick off times. The Scarlets are in a position where we have most of our matches on Saturdays (bar one Friday, and New Year's Day), and even better most have the same kick off time too.

It will be interesting to see how the loss of Sunday games will impact on attendances. I really hope that it will lead to a raise of people through the turnstiles.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Just read the only Sunday game (except New Year's Day), is due to avoiding a clash as Wales play South Africa on the Saturday. Fair play, that's really refreshing to see.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 am

It does look as though they are trying to improve things, and long may it continue.

Now, about the refs. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:00 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Wait, so the are you saying that the sunday fixtures were being determined by the broadcasters and not the Irish? Shocked

Only when they've been moved from Sundays.......

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:06 am

It looks like the Scots and the Irish have heard enough bellyaching from the Welsh about everything that now they are just letting the Welsh dictate everything. It will be interesting to see if this will work.

From a Munster point of view, the fixtures are good. We could have done with more Sunday fixtures. One clanger with Munster v Treviso in Thomond Park - it starts exactly the same time as Ireland play Australia in the autumn.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 am

Sin é wrote:It looks like the Scots and the Irish have heard enough bellyaching from the Welsh about everything that now they are just letting the Welsh dictate everything. It will be interesting to see if this will work.

From a Munster point of view, the fixtures are good. We could have done with more Sunday fixtures. One clanger with Munster v Treviso in Thomond Park - it starts exactly the same time as Ireland play Australia in the autumn.

Well that is down to your greedy broadcasters! You got in bed with them, and you have to deal with it. Quit your moaning. The welsh don't have this problem because we have more sympathetic broadcasters (Dragons fixture moved to avoid a clash with a Welsh game). But if your willing to take the broadcasters cash then you need to accept that you are their play thing and they can treat you as they wish.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:22 am

Now we just need the other nations to up their game in providing more broadcast revenue...

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:29 am

I don't know how we can take something thats good for everyone and turn it into a willy-waving contest, but thats 606 for you.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:20 am

It's only what you lot from the Emerald isle have been telling us for years. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 am

The reason for the Munster clash is because the games are being played in test windows.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:54 am

Pot Hale wrote:The reason for the Munster clash is because the games are being played in test windows.  

IMO, the only rugby that should be played on an international weekend, is international rugby. Everything else should stop.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:57 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Sin é wrote:It looks like the Scots and the Irish have heard enough bellyaching from the Welsh about everything that now they are just letting the Welsh dictate everything. It will be interesting to see if this will work.

Well that is down to your greedy broadcasters!  You got in bed with them, and you have to deal with it.  Quit your moaning.  The welsh don't have this problem because we have more sympathetic broadcasters (Dragons fixture moved to avoid a clash with a Welsh game).  But if your willing to take the broadcasters cash then you need to accept that you are their play thing and they can treat you as they wish.

Its not being televised, presumably because all broadcasters will be broadcasting international rugby.

edit: Just checking the broadcaster there - it looks like Sky are back to being Munster's personal broadcaster again for the first half of the season:D Half of Munster's games, six, are on Sky compared to most others only having three.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 am

munkian wrote:Now we just need the other nations to up their game in providing more broadcast revenue...

Munkian - do you happen to know why BBC Wales pays what it does for the TV rights?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 am

Notch wrote:I don't know how we can take something thats good for everyone and turn it into a willy-waving contest, but thats 606 for you.

No willy-waving going on, Notch.

I'd call it banter.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:22 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:The reason for the Munster clash is because the games are being played in test windows.  

IMO, the only rugby that should be played on an international weekend, is international rugby. Everything else should stop.

Including AW Cup, B&I Cup, etc?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:27 am

Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Now we just need the other nations to up their game in providing more broadcast revenue...

Munkian - do you happen to know why BBC Wales pays what it does for the TV rights?

I think I know the answer to this. There is a LOT of people in Wales who follow rugby. The thing is, there is too much rugby to go around, we either do not have enough time or enough money to watch it all. You see, in my town alone there are about 10 rugby clubs, not everybody can go and watch their club AND their region, but most would like to.

The alternative is, go and watch your local club live, then either go home and enjoy a glass of wine/can of larger and watch it on the tele, or go back to the club house and watch it with a pint. There are masses of armchair regional fans in Wales, that's probably why the tele audience is so big, thus the broadcasters pay more for the TV rights.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:28 am

Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yep. The only type's of games I would consider OK are the charity type games like we used to have in the morning before the international, you know, oldies against youngsters type of thing. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yep. The only type's of games I would consider OK are the charity type games like we used to have in the morning before the international, you know, oldies against youngsters type of thing. OK

Ok. So how many internationals have to be on? Let's just say there was a weekend where Ireland were playing NZ or England playing Australia, but Wales, Scotland, France or Italy weren't playing.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 am

I think the Pro 12 deserve a lot of praise here.

They have created a fixture list that everyone is happy with.
It wouldn't have been easy to talk Sky into allowing the Sunday fixtures to be moved to Saturday.
Martin Anayi appears to be making big positive changes, and is only one year in, and deserves credit, I know he has a conference system in mind, but he was never going to have that in place for this season, and seams to have worked hard to make this season successful

Hopefully the big Weekends have a lot of advertisement and hype to build them up. It appears they will use one game as the headline, but will advertise all the games that day, like super Saturday in football. I hope it does go down this route promoting the League as a whole, rather than just Provinces in Ireland, regions in Wales.

Only issue I have is there doesn't seam to be an Italian broadcaster on board yet. There was a centralised board for referees sent up, hopefully more work has been done on this as well.

Overall I think its set up to be a successful season. Fans love teams that are successful, second best are teams building to be successful.

I think at this stage most nearly every team has that.

Connacht have feel good factor from last year
Leinster, Ulster, Glasgow, will feel they have a real title hope.
Scarlets, Munster, Blues, Ospreys have improved their teams, will be better from last season, and will all target a top 4 finish, Edinburgh maybe as well?
Dragons, Zebre, Treviso, will feel they can do better than last year

Overall there is a feel good factor in the majority of the teams.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:50 am

Notch wrote:I don't know how we can take something thats good for everyone and turn it into a willy-waving contest, but thats 606 for you.

I'd have thought you as a moderator could be proactive with it, rather than reactive? There's been a few pointless swipes on here. Shame really.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 am

RiscaGame wrote:

I'd have thought you as a moderator could be proactive with it, rather than reactive? There's been a few pointless swipes on here. Shame really.

Ah but until people retaliate they are not swipes just comments....
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:18 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Back in the day there was a tradition of the "exile" teams in London playing on the morning of the appropriate international in a "friendly" then repair to the bar to watch the game on TV.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:24 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

I like that.

It's just banter anyway. Think the PRO 12 have done a great job on the schedule. Anayi seems to have the bit between his teeth in seeking to move the comp on and improve things. I presume they'll start negotiations on a new TV deal at some stage this season since we're past the midway point.

If he's aiming for conference structure in 2018 season then this would tie in with a new broadcasting deal.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 am

Pot Hale wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

I like that.

It's just banter anyway.  Think the PRO 12 have done a great job on the schedule.  Anayi seems to have the bit between his teeth in seeking to move the comp on and improve things.   I presume they'll start negotiations on a new TV deal at some stage this season since we're past the midway point.

If he's aiming for conference structure in 2018 season then this would tie in with a new broadcasting deal.  

I'm not keen on the conference system. But if that is the way he wants to drive it, and these chances are a step towards it, he may win me over in time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:20 am

Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Ok.  So how many internationals have to be on?   Let's just say there was a weekend where Ireland were playing NZ or England playing Australia, but Wales, Scotland, France or Italy weren't playing.

If there was an international playing, all games in that country should be off. So if Wales were playing, then the only fixture IN WALES that day should be the Welsh game.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:23 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Ok.  So how many internationals have to be on?   Let's just say there was a weekend where Ireland were playing NZ or England playing Australia, but Wales, Scotland, France or Italy weren't playing.

If there was an international playing, all games in that country should be off. So if Wales were playing, then the only fixture IN WALES that day should be the Welsh game.

Hmmm. Are you sure? So If Wales were playing Australia, and Munster were hosting Cardiff in Thomond Park, that would be ok?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:27 am

Pot Hale wrote:Hmmm. Are you sure? So If Wales were playing Australia, and Munster were hosting Cardiff in Thomond Park, that would be ok?

Sorry, perhaps I have not worded it properly, no other Welsh club should play on the same day as their national side is playing. No matter where the fixture is. International day should be "just that".

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:27 am

Do we have any sense of what the different broadcast amounts are?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 am

Don Alfonso wrote:

Do we have any sense of what the different broadcast amounts are?

I don't exact figures to hand but the Welsh domestic contribution is more than the other three Unions combined.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:08 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Hmmm. Are you sure? So If Wales were playing Australia, and Munster were hosting Cardiff in Thomond Park, that would be ok?

Sorry, perhaps I have not worded it properly, no other Welsh club should play on the same day as their national side is playing. No matter where the fixture is. International day should be "just that".

Be careful your Lordship - you'll have Phil on you for stopping his beloved LV Cup games !  Whistle

Seriously though, I'd prefer to do what they've started doing in soccer, on international days they have a Non League Day, where fans are encouraged to go and watch their local grassroots team instead - the clubs make a bit of a thing about it and open the bar, put on some catering/barbie and move the kick off of their game so you can watch their game live and then head into the bar to watch the international game on TV.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 am

As I understand how the system works, the unions get back what their terrestrial broadcasters put in. Thus Wales has both BBC Wales and S4C. In a couple of media articles published online this was estimated at around 65-70% of all terrestrial income. The Sky deal was reported as 20m over four years I.e. 5m a year. Total TV money is estimated at 10-11m. The Sky deal was between the three shareholding unions at the time Wales, Ireland and Scotland. (I think FIR is now a shareholder). The monies were split by number of teams, thus 40/40/20 split of 5m a year. I haven't put in whether it's sterling or euro because I'm not sure.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down