The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Ken Higgs

+2
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
6 posters

Go down

RIP Ken Higgs Empty RIP Ken Higgs

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Sep 2016, 5:06 pm

Ken Higgs the former Lancs, Leicestershire and England fast medium bowler has died, aged 79.  Reportedly he could be dour and was unimpressed by authority figures.

Higgs played just 15 tests for England, but took 71 wickets at an average of 20.74 and an economy rate of 2.14.  Higgs dismissed a number of the W Indies greats in his best series including Hunte and Kanhai (4 times each) Butcher (3 times) Carew (twice).

In first class cricket he took over 1500 wickets at an average of 23.61 - figures which demonstrate that he was a very fine bowler.

Higgs made a surprise (emergency) comeback for Leics in his 50th year and promptly took 5 wickets in an innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

RIP Ken Higgs Empty Re: RIP Ken Higgs

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2016, 7:12 pm

Ken Higgs may well have been dour but most spectators warmed to him as he seemed to always give maximum effort. I particularly associate him doing that for Leics during the 1970s in various televised one day games. Leics were good exponents of that format then and their bowling was regularly spearheaded by the veteran Higgs.

His international record is highly impressive and makes one think he really should have played more than 15 Tests. As well as his bowling successes, I had vague memories of him featuring along with John Snow in a last wicket stand for England - just looked it up, Higgs made 63 in putting on 128 with Snow for the 10th wicket at the Oval against the 1966 West Indies (an attack including Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs) which significantly contributed to an innings victory.

He deserves to be better known than he probably he is and was a fine cricketer. Above all else, he gave excellent value for money and I thank him for that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 07 Sep 2016, 7:55 pm

guildford,
I can vouch for that - was locked out of The Oval and high-tailed it to Upton Park. More than 25% of the WC winners playing for the Corporals vs Chelsea, first match of the season. Heard about Oval exploits on my tranny!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Ken Higgs may well have been dour but most spectators warmed to him as he seemed to always give maximum effort. I particularly associate him doing that for Leics during the 1970s in various televised one day games. Leics were good exponents of that format then and their bowling was regularly spearheaded by the veteran Higgs.

His international record is highly impressive and makes one think he really should have played more than 15 Tests. As well as his bowling successes, I had vague memories of him featuring along with John Snow in a last wicket stand for England - just looked it up, Higgs made 63 in putting on 128 with Snow for the 10th wicket at the Oval against the 1966 West Indies (an attack including Hall, Griffith, Sobers and Gibbs) which significantly contributed to an innings victory.

He deserves to be better known than he probably he is and was a fine cricketer. Above all else, he gave excellent value for money and I thank him for that.

I have memories of that match - the big stand between Graveney and JT Murray, followed by the epic last wicket stand between Snow and Higgs.  It is indeed very surprising that Higgs didn't play more test matches.  Jonathan Agnew says in his tribute that off the field Higgs was very gentle - and very different from his on-field person.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:22 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Ken Higgs may well have been dour but most spectators warmed to him as he seemed to always give maximum effort. I particularly associate him doing that for Leics during the 1970s in various televised one day games. Leics were good exponents of that format then and their bowling was regularly spearheaded by the veteran Higgs.

I have memories of that match - the big stand between Graveney and JT Murray, followed by the epic last wicket stand between Snow and Higgs.  It is indeed very surprising that Higgs didn't play more test matches.  Jonathan Agnew says in his tribute that off the field Higgs was very gentle - and very different from his on-field person.

You probably watched it on the radio, Corporal! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
You probably watched it on the radio, Corporal! Smile

Was there any other way in those days? Very Happy   (We didn't have a TV at home!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 07 Sep 2016, 11:43 pm

Don't you think Higgs was regarded as a County player, just kept on getting better, 28 when he was first selected, and that was/is old for a pace bowler.
Others seemed to be similarly branded, Les Jackson, Steele, Shack (had to get that one in), while some never even got the chance. Not many players of that era started their Test career at 28 or later.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Sep 2016, 7:48 pm

Was at The Oval for the famous E v WI of 1966 during which Higgs had the big last-wicket stand, although not on that Saturday. Instead remember Higgs bowling Conrad Hunte early on on the first day, leading to an innings victory for England.
Sad to see so many of the great players one saw in one's youth dying off. Following the death of Australia's oldest Test player Len Maddocks, have been trying to work out just who England's oldest Test player is. Doug Insole at 90?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 09 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

You must have great memories of that 1966 match Sir Fred!

The oldest living England cricketers are:

DV Smith (aged 93 - 3 tests)
GHG Doggart (aged 93 - 2 tests)
Then Doug Insole

The oldest living test cricketer who had a lengthy career is good old Everton Weekes aged 91 who played 48 tests..

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:You must have great memories of that 1966 match Sir Fred!

The oldest living England cricketers are:

DV Smith (aged 93 - 3 tests)
GHG Doggart (aged 93 - 2 tests)
Then Doug Insole

The oldest living test cricketer who had a lengthy career is good old Everton Weekes aged 91 who played 48 tests..

A few years younger - he'll be 84 next week - but Micky Stewart is going well and as bright as a button. He could move up that list in years to come.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 09 Sep 2016, 10:31 pm

There's a stack of famous names in their 80s  (including Aussies like Neil Harvey and Alan Davidson.  The oldest living test player I can remember hearing radio commentary on was New Zealand's John Reid (aged 88) whose test match career ended in 1965. He was a pretty good batsman but in a rather weak side, as I recall.

I see that JT Murray who played in that 1966 test is 81, and Sobers has turned 80.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 10 Sep 2016, 9:06 am

Saw him take a hat trick in the B&H 1974 Final at Lords for Leics v Surrey. He still had it. RIP

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:03 am

Re Micky Stewart. He is the only Surrey survivor of the very first f-class match I saw - Surrey v Notts at The Oval in 1958. Happily, some of the Notts side, which had featured Reg Simpson, are still around, including Geoff Millman.
Neil Harvey's extreme youth on Bradman's last tour means we have a link to the 1948 Ashes series, still. In contrast, there are no survivors from England's side that regained the Ashes in 1953, nor, following Tom Graveney's death, are there any players still alive from England's 54-55 Ashes campaign.
By my reckoning, Peter Richardson, Ted Dexter and Roy Swetman remain from the ill-fated 58-59 series Down Under.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 11 Sep 2016, 10:39 am

Rather late to this ; have been traveling and hence not on here to comment ...but like others have memories of that extraordinary match at The Oval ; though I had to check the scorecard (still can hardly believe the last three wickets added 361 against Hall Griffith Sobers and Gibbs !)
A little unusual that a bowler is best remembered for one batting innings rather than what he did with the ball ; but I think it is probably fair to say that Higgs was seen as primarily a bowler for home conditions (although he did really well in NZ , which I suspect was seen as being similar and not quite top class Test Cricket) ; and he was eventually a casualty of selectors' desires to produce tall fast bowlers (familiar to recent choices , perhaps ?) with a view to overseas tours...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 11 Sep 2016, 12:40 pm

"A little unusual that a bowler is best remembered for one batting innings rather than what he did with the ball..."

Ditto Graham Dilley who died far too young. The Higgs-Snow partnership came on the first day of the football season. I well remember the gasp from the crowd at White Hart Lane when it was announced that England were well past 500 with the last pair still in.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum