The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spitting on the golf course

+6
Davie
super_realist
kwinigolfer
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
I'm never wrong
10 posters

Go down

Spitting on the golf course Empty Spitting on the golf course

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Sep 2016, 2:42 pm

In yesterdays Daily Telegraph reporter James Corrigan had a go at Dustin Johnson for spitting. Article here.
We've had previous incidents of this haven't we? Sergio and Tiger?
He asks the question, is it a cultural thing? i.e. acceptable in the US, but not over here. So can I ask what people over the pond think?

I don't like it myself, as the journalist points out, if it is done "on tees and greens where others put their hands"

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Spitting on the golf course Empty Re: Spitting on the golf course

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:40 pm

INW

Surprised to see this has no replies so far as in the past people have voiced strong objections to spitting.

Like you I would prefer people didn't do it but I can't stand it when the commentators act as if it is the most heinous act possible. Gerry shouts his mouth about the gays and the golf establishment show apathy, Tiger spits and they lose their minds.

Sergio has far too many fan boys on here for me to risk commenting on his spitting troubles. I cannot be bothered with the backlash.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:48 pm

If I need to spit for whatever reason, I'll do it. Examples would be grass, sand or a fly in my mouth. I won't do it on the green or the tee as other people do put their hands there (and a glob of gob on the green could impact a ball if unnoticed).

Bit of spit and polish on the ball or the clubhead for cleaning purposes also fine.

Wandering around and gobbing everywhere doesn't look pleasant but I wouldn't enact an internet campaign to have the perpetrator shot. Keep my own counsel and crack on, they can do what they want as long as it doesn't affect my game.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:50 pm

Keegan Bradley used to be the worst, remember his pre-shot routine - you almost felt his caddie should offer him a spittoon. But it was pointed out to him and he stopped it immediately.

You would be hard-pressed to watch a football (Association of course) or baseball game without spitting being rife, especially baseball where players/coaches are always chewing something, tobacco, sunflower seeds, you name it. It's part of the "culture" of the game, deplorable though it might be

The age old question: Should we expect expectoration, oration against obviously encouraged?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm

Thanks. In the article, Kwini, the journalist does mention that it is very prevalent in baseball - that's why he and I wondered if it is a cultural thing.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

99% of the time there is absolutely no need to spit, especially golfers. Footballers have no excuse, so why do golfers?

Spitting habitually is a disgusting trait and just makes you look like the lowest class of person.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 16 Sep 2016, 8:25 pm

McLaren wrote:
Sergio has far too many fan boys on here for me to risk commenting on his spitting troubles.  I cannot be bothered with the backlash.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone on here I would call a Sergio "fan boy". He has supporters who think the abuse he gets on here is wrong.

Kwini mentioned Keegan Bradley who gained a LOT of respect as I recall when his spitting habit was pointed out to him and he stopped. To Keegan it was a habit or nervous tic that he apparently wasn't aware of. When it was pointed out he did something about it.

I only ever recall one (pretty disgusting) incident with Sergio - has he got more form for it or is he just remembered for one incident?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 17 Sep 2016, 2:25 pm

Spitting? It's a bit grim, but let's have a bit of perspective. It's hardly the end of the World is it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

Not the end of the world, but as needless as doing a pee on the fairway. There is virtually no need to spit, and even if you do, you don't need to do it in the same manner as done by golfers on the course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm

Walk into a Chinese mens room and you never want to see spitting again...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 17 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

Pedro

I have noticed that before. If you get off a flight in some Asian countries loads of the men go into the bog and spit pretty profusely. Not sure what it is about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Sep 2016, 11:21 pm

Imagine how soaked the fairways must be after a Chinese pro-am.... Wales

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 20 Sep 2016, 1:24 pm

People who spit on the golf course tend to use poker chip ball markers.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 20 Sep 2016, 1:48 pm

raycastleunited wrote:People who spit on the golf course tend to use poker chip ball markers.

In what I deem appropriate circumstances I occasionally spit on the golf course (per earlier post) and from other threads I do use a poker chip.

If only Rory advertised some decent hoodies and the halfway hut sold some breadcrumb covered, fried, poultry based produce I could become complete (bar 20 odd years too many on the clock)!

Anyone fancy a game when I'm next in their (neighbour)hood? As a past Captain I'm sure my club would happily provide a reference or letter of introduction if needed.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 20 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

Although we don't have a halfway hut...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 20 Sep 2016, 2:10 pm

Unless someone hocks a luggie on my line or in the cup.... I couldn't care less...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down