The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryder Cup vs Brexit

+11
Shotrock
Be_the_ball
McLaren
MontysMerkin
raycastleunited
golfermartin
navyblueshorts
super_realist
JAS
Davie
gallery play
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ryder Cup vs Brexit Empty Ryder Cup vs Brexit

Post by gallery play Mon 3 Oct - 11:05

Okay, it's far stretched to claim there's a correlation between de Brexit and this Ryder cup failure but isn't it peculiar how bad the English have performed?

Friday morning foursomes:
- despite a great playing Stenson, Rose dragged the team down
- despite a great playing Pieters, Westwood dragged the team down
- Sullivan... what did he do? Can't remember a single shot of him. Was alongside the best player but couldn't deliver

Friday afternoon fourball:
- Willet tamely went down with Kaymers misery

Saterday morning foursomes:
- despite a great playing Stenson, Fitzpatrick dragged the team down
(well well well, Wood/Rose won, but against a beatable team)

Saterday afternoon fourball:
-Willet/Westwood screwed a very good chance
-Again Rose showed nothing, Stenson was alone in this match

English singles:
0 out of 6
again:
0 out of 6

So that's about 1(!) "English" point...

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Ryder Cup vs Brexit Empty Re: Ryder Cup vs Brexit

Post by Davie Mon 3 Oct - 11:12

What the hell has Golf got to do with "brexit"?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon 3 Oct - 11:16

I dont know, perhaps teamspirit? Mind you: i said there's probably no correlation

What's your excuse for the English failing?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 3 Oct - 11:24

gallery play wrote:What's your excuse for the English failing?

The didn't play well enough. Rose was pretty tidy tee to green but couldn't hole a putt. Wood wasn't bad. Fitz and Sully weren't ready. Willett and Westwood were cr@p

Brexit is totally irrelevant - in case you hadn't noticed, GB+I are still geographically part of Europe

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 3 Oct - 11:32

gallery play wrote:I dont know, perhaps teamspirit? Mind you: i said there's probably no correlation

What's your excuse for the English failing?

The team failing was that they never made enough putts and the Americans did. It really is as simple as that. What are you trying to suggest? That there was some kind of undercurrent of couldn't care less borne out of a political landscape where the country as a whole wanted out of an out of touch beauracracy? What piffle, coincidence that the English players collectively didn't fire enough to win an few points.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 3 Oct - 11:37

I think he intended the correlation to be humourous lads rather than an actual serious study. Calm down.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 3 Oct - 11:41

Humorous? Ah, OK. Thanks for letting me know. Missed that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 3 Oct - 11:41

super_realist wrote:I think he intended the correlation to be humourous lads rather than an actual serious study. Calm down.

lol I bite every time :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 3 Oct - 12:06

Don't know if anyone has noticed but Brexit hasn't happened yet!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon 3 Oct - 12:31

super_realist wrote:I think he intended the correlation to be humourous lads rather than an actual serious study. Calm down.

thumbsup

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 3 Oct - 12:36

Davie wrote:
Brexit is totally irrelevant - in case you hadn't noticed, GB+I are still geographically part of Europe

Not just geographically... we haven't left the EU yet! And "I" hasn't voted to leave the EU anyway!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 3 Oct - 12:50

JAS wrote:
The team failing was that they never made enough putts and the Americans did. It really is as simple as that.

Hmm... think it was a bit more than that. Poor chipping, wayward drives, approach shots into water... as well as missing clutch putts. Overall a number of European players couldn't respond when under intense pressure.

JAS wrote:
a political landscape where the country as a whole wanted out of an out of touch beauracracy

Is that why the UK voted to leave? I thought it was because a strong campaign of xenophobic propaganda convinced a bunch of thickos that their lives would be better if they could control immigration. Doh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 3 Oct - 13:14

Aye that too Ray, forgot that bit. :-p

Seriously do think it WAS all down to putting. that's certainly the way it came across on TV. Americans holing 20-30 footers was getting annoying, almost as annoying as Europeans missing 4-6 footers (or taking it to the extreme, LW's 2 footer). I thought they were pretty evenly matched tee to green.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 3 Oct - 14:14

raycastleunited wrote:
JAS wrote:
The team failing was that they never made enough putts and the Americans did. It really is as simple as that.

Hmm... think it was a bit more than that. Poor chipping, wayward drives, approach shots into water... as well as missing clutch putts. Overall a number of European players couldn't respond when under intense pressure.

JAS wrote:
a political landscape where the country as a whole wanted out of an out of touch  beauracracy

Is that why the UK voted to leave? I thought it was because a strong campaign of xenophobic propaganda convinced a bunch of thickos that their lives would be better if they could control immigration. Doh
Although it could be argued that the EU is a failure. Since it's inception the increase in inequality across the region has been widespread. I think labelling people who want out is disingenuous and belittles peoples genuine concerns. I am of the opinion that it should not have been a decision made by thickos on both sides - of which there are plenty.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 3 Oct - 14:29

JAS wrote:Seriously do think it WAS all down to putting.  that's certainly the way it came across on TV. Americans holing 20-30 footers was getting annoying, almost as annoying as Europeans missing 4-6 footers (or taking it to the extreme, LW's 2 footer). I thought they were pretty evenly matched tee to green.

I know what you mean JAS, because ultimately the hole is decided by putting. But I think that masked the fact that the Europeans were missing fairways and greens and were having to make 4-6 footers for the half, whereas the Americans were hitting GIR and giving themselves 20-30 footers for the win (and then tap ins for the half). It's a big generalisation because clearly both teams had players who were wayward and others who were arrow straight.

Look at 17: Moore and Snedeker both rolled in birdies on Sunday which supports your view point. But you have to hit a good approach to set up a birdie putt... and their opponents Westwood and Sullivan failed to give themselves birdie putts to match them. And Rose described it as an easy 9 iron to a flag in the middle of the green...

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 3 Oct - 15:52

navyblueshorts wrote:Humorous? Ah, OK. Thanks for letting me know. Missed that.

You do seem to read everything written on here with your mr serious hat on and i in a very literal sense.

Ray

"I thought it was because a strong campaign of xenophobic propaganda convinced a bunch of thickos that their lives would be better if they could control immigration"

Nice summary.

I certainly feel like I live a sad little minded nation now so maybe some of the UK players were feeling the same way. It is very hard to feel any affinity to a nation that now openly hates those who popped out the womb in certain geographical locations.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 3 Oct - 16:21

McLaren wrote:

You do seem to read everything written on here with your mr serious hat on and i in a very literal sense....
picard The point was Mac, that it isn't that humorous. Keep up.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 3 Oct - 16:32

McLaren wrote:...I certainly feel like I live a sad little minded nation now so maybe some of the UK players were feeling the same way.  It is very hard to feel any affinity to a nation that now openly hates those who popped out the womb in certain geographical locations.
Also, give the result was ~52:48, it's a little harsh stereotyping (how dare you?! Don't you know that SGWs don't stereotype?) the 48%, for a start, that way.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 3 Oct - 20:13

I'm still trying to work out which bit was humourous

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 3 Oct - 20:58

Davie

The bit where you couldn't work out what was humourous.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 3 Oct - 22:57

I mentioned Brexit yesterday but purely in jest as everything nowadays seems to get blamed on Brexit. Poor trolling this article. The Ryder cup is not The EU v's USA so clearly it has no bearing on it.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 4 Oct - 14:53

Speaking of the Brexit impact ... with the pound taking a pounding this may be an ideal time to visit the UK. Who's going to put Trussman up?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 4 Oct - 15:04

Shot, it's worse than that; he's already there!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 4 Oct - 15:12

Better go to Wales, NI or Scotland, Sr, avoid all that English pomposity.

All I know is that my hard-earned UK pensions are now devalued by 15%, not what my retirement model suggested a couple of years ago. Ugh.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 4 Oct - 15:49

As always, sign me up for England, Kwin.

But I have never been to Wales so that's high on my list of places to visit. Royal St. Davids?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 4 Oct - 15:58

Porthcawl, Pyle and Kenfig, and Southerndown all got rave reviews from friends that toured South Wales recently.
Sure JAS and Yads might know others . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 4 Oct - 20:21

McLaren wrote:

You do seem to read everything written on here with your mr serious hat on and i in a very literal sense.

Ray

"I thought it was because a strong campaign of xenophobic propaganda convinced a bunch of thickos that their lives would be better if they could control immigration"

Nice summary.

I certainly feel like I live a sad little minded nation now so maybe some of the UK players were feeling the same way.  It is very hard to feel any affinity to a nation that now openly hates those who popped out the womb in certain geographical locations.
And do you think the Churchill WWII quotes Darren Clarke had put up in the team room inspired Kaymer? Doh

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 4 Oct - 21:40

Shotrock wrote:As always, sign me up for England, Kwin.

But I have never been to Wales so that's high on my list of places to visit. Royal St. Davids?

The best advice about golf in Wales came from an Englishman, Nick Faldo, at the close of the 2008 Ryder Cup: don't forget your waterproofs. Of course the Americans didn't forget their waterproofs, they just forgot to check if they were actually water resistant.

The 2010 course is worth playing if you like stadium courses with lots of water. It has some interesting risk / reward choices. But my favourite course in Wales is Pennard - old school links and great fun.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 5 Oct - 7:46

I loved Celtic Manor, brilliant course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 5 Oct - 7:46

pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Ray

Nice summary.

I certainly feel like I live a sad little minded nation now so maybe some of the UK players were feeling the same way.  It is very hard to feel any affinity to a nation that now openly hates those who popped out the womb in certain geographical locations.
And do you think the Churchill WWII quotes Darren Clarke had put up in the team room inspired Kaymer? Doh

Why wouldn't it? Being German doesn't make you a Nazi.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 5 Oct - 8:35

pedro wrote:And do you think the Churchill WWII quotes Darren Clarke had put up in the team room inspired Kaymer? Doh
They might have done. Plenty of British Generals and politicians admired Rommel Doh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 5 Oct - 9:25

kwinigolfer wrote:Porthcawl, Pyle and Kenfig, and Southerndown all got rave reviews from friends that toured South Wales recently.
Sure JAS and Yads might know others . . . . .

Royal Porthcawl is different class but not cheap, haven't played P&K or Southerndown. Some of he others I have played down there are
Pennard, superb value, superb views and very welcoming.
Machynys modern Nicklaus design whilst it's by the sea its not traditional links but usually very well conditioned, excellent facilities. Ashburnham, a bit more rustic and more linksy, old style out and back layout.

Others I haven't played but are on the todo list
Royal St Davids
Tenby

Moving back east toward the bridge and ones I have played, yes there's the Celtic Manor. It does take flak from some quarters but its a great set up, Obviously the 2010 is the one everyone wants to play but the other 2 (Roman Road and Montgomerie) are well worth a look.
Before the Celtic Manor came along the premier Course in that area was St Pierre (former host of the Benson and Hedges), its decent enough too.
A hidden gem in that part of the world is the Rolls of Monmouth (set in gorgeous remote country estate around an old mansion and as the name gives a clue formerly owned by Henry Rolls of Rolls Royce fame)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 5 Oct - 11:40

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Ray

Nice summary.

a
Well, like most Germans, his grand parents were most likely afflicted, directly or indirectly, none of which must have been pleasant. Basil Fawlty anyone?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 5 Oct - 12:17

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Ray

Nice summary.

a
Well, like most Germans, his grand parents were most likely afflicted, directly or indirectly, none of which must have been pleasant. Basil Fawlty anyone?

"Never give in, never never never" can somebody explain to me how that is going to upset Kaymer or indeed inspire him any less than the others in the team. Churchill was a leader, he inspired fight when he had to, Clarke was trying to tap into that. Christ Jocks go to the Olympics, win gold medals and still sing God Save the Queen even though one of the later verses talks about "Rebellious Scots to crush".
If you hang on to history (and how it's hurt your ancestors) too tightly you can get stuck in it. A certain part of these Isles (which I daren't mention incase the thread takes a nosedive) took a long time to learn that one, indeed small isolated pockets still haven't.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 5 Oct - 12:32

Crush em all I say Run
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 5 Oct - 12:33

I don't know if it upset him, maybe not, but with Churchills name under those quote chances increased nevertheless. And btw, Adolf said the exact same thing, something that cost millions of additional lives even after the war was effectively lost. Don't mention the war for gods sake. This is not GB&I anymore.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 5 Oct - 13:41

I don't see how a poster of Churchill could be inspirational to any of this year's RC team, regardless of nationality. If you're aged 50+, you would have grown up with parents / grand parents talking about the war so it is more relatable. Any younger and the impact is diminished.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 5 Oct - 13:44

Ray

They should of had a poster of Justin Bieber up. Much more relatable to the younger generation.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 5 Oct - 13:47

raycastleunited wrote:I don't see how a poster of Churchill could be inspirational to any of this year's RC team, regardless of nationality. If you're aged 50+, you would have grown up with parents / grand parents talking about the war so it is more relatable. Any younger and the impact is diminished.
Seriously? Christ, history teaching has really gone down hill hasn't it?

It's a quotation from someone renowned as never giving in. Simple as that. Kaymer is, I'm sure, bigger than a simpleton and would take that in exactly the way it was meant.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 5 Oct - 13:55

Navy, just because someone studied WW2 in history at school, doesn't mean they would find a poster of a British politician inspirational. Churchill may be renknowned to your generation in England as someone who never gave in, doubt he has that reputation to younger generations, even more so Belgian, Spanish or German.

And yes history teaching has really gone down hill.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 5 Oct - 14:29

Ahh the ramblings of an old urine head... very inspirational.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 5 Oct - 16:09

Tend to agree with ray on this one. Having been educated in France Churchill gets very little mention in History classes, and can't imagine it would be much different in Germany (or Spain or Belgium). I doubt they would be aware of much beyond the fact that he led the UK in WWII.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 5 Oct - 16:50

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Tend to agree with ray on this one. Having been educated in France Churchill gets very little mention in History classes, and can't imagine it would be much different in Germany (or Spain or Belgium). I doubt they would be aware of much beyond the fact that he led the UK in WWII.

Exactement.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 5 Oct - 16:56

Cheers for the perceptive remark Monty. You pick up on the fact he drank but overlook everything else? picard

Ray. Churchill was dead before I was born. My generation? What's that? I have to be of the WWII generation to know anything about him?

I can see that maybe for the mainland Euros, Churchill doesn't evoke as much. Anyway, who cares? If anyone seriously thinks a Churchill quote contributed to the recent loss, they need to think again.

If not a Churchill quote, whom should Clarke have used?

Mad for Chelsea wrote:...I doubt they would be aware of much beyond the fact that he led the UK in WWII.
Exactly the point maybe?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 5 Oct - 17:16

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Tend to agree with ray on this one. Having been educated in France Churchill gets very little mention in History classes, and can't imagine it would be much different in Germany (or Spain or Belgium). I doubt they would be aware of much beyond the fact that he led the UK in WWII.

I'm sure like their Six speed reverse Tanks and white on white background flag, the French effort in the war gets washed over in their history.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 5 Oct - 21:38

Super

Did you not play Medal of honor as a lad? If you had you would know the great feats of the French resistance fighters.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 5 Oct - 21:40

super,
Where are you going to be? Has your brother tweeted anything about American behaviour to pave the way for your arrival?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 5 Oct - 22:27

kwini, I'll be in Houston. Thinking about trying to get a game somewhere, but it means hiring clubs etc. Might be too much of a ballache and a ridiculous expense. Be nice to play in 30 degrees though instead of half of that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 6 Oct - 8:08

navyblueshorts wrote:Cheers for the perceptive remark Monty. You pick up on the fact he drank but overlook everything else? picard

Ray. Churchill was dead before I was born. My generation? What's that? I have to be of the WWII generation to know anything about him?

I can see that maybe for the mainland Euros, Churchill doesn't evoke as much. Anyway, who cares? If anyone seriously thinks a Churchill quote contributed to the recent loss, they need to think again.

If not a Churchill quote, whom should Clarke have used?

Mad for Chelsea wrote:...I doubt they would be aware of much beyond the fact that he led the UK in WWII.
Exactly the point maybe?
Yep an enlightened chap: "I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes," he continued.

"It is alarming and nauseating to see Mr Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir… striding half-naked up the steps of the Vice-regal Palace,"
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 6 Oct - 8:24

super_realist wrote:

I'm sure like their Six speed reverse Tanks and white on white background flag, the French effort in the war gets washed over in their history.
Not sure which way you mean this, but I think it's re. French 'cowardice'. You really should look up the record of French armies. You should also have a little think about what they'd gone through from 1870-1945.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next