The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward v Kovalev

+7
milkyboy
Herman Jaeger
BoxingFan88
hazharrison
Pedro147
88Chris05
AdamT
11 posters

Go down

Ward v Kovalev Empty Ward v Kovalev

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:22 am

the closer this fight gets, I really like Ward to win. If I am honest I thought it was a genuine 50/50 when first signed. I have a feeling Ward is going to really step it up. Kovalev's power will frighten him. It will make Ward sharp and he will nullify anything Kovalev tries.

Kovalev can really box, but for me isn't the same level as Ward. Nobody beat Hopkins like he did, but lets not ignore the fact Bernard is an old man, no matter how great he was.

I am really excited about this fight. I know many are picking Kovalev, but I think Ward is going to pull off a career defining performance and win a clear unanimous decision.

I can't wait for this fight. Two of the best fighters in the sport, going head to head.

Who have you got for the win?? Has anybody changed their prediction??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Ward v Kovalev Empty Re: Ward v Kovalev

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:37 am

Much as I'd like Kovalev to win this one, Ward has been my pick since the fight was first mooted and I haven't changed my mind since. Not predicting it'll be a cakewalk by any means; Kovalev is outstanding and if he wins I'd only be a little surprised, rather than shocked. But Ward has the stylistic tools to pull this one off.

I think Ward just dictates the distance and timing of engagement too well. He seldom allows himself to get in to exchanges at mid-range; he's either on the outside being elusive or right inside, smothering his opponent's work and generally dominating the inside fighting. The idea that he's a 'runner' is a misnomer and I think he'll use this unpredictability to stop Kovalev from getting in to his groove.

It's all about how well he handles Kovalev's power. Sergey doesn't need to catch his opponents clean on the chin to hurt them, and the Darnell Boone knockdown still hangs over Ward for many people, even if that's a little unfair (he was a young pup, after all, and Boone has beaten Stevenson and put Kovalev over on the way to losing a tight one). Ward's fights against Bika and Froch have done quite a bit to dispel the idea that he's outright chinny, but neither of them were punchers of Kovalev's calibre, and this is at 175, a weight where Ward is yet to meet any real high class opposition.

I think Ward will surprise Kovalev with his physicality and strength. I can't see Kovalev blasting him out early, but there might be some hope for Sergey in the fact that he may well hold the edge in stamina here, albeit not a massive one.

I think it'll be relatively close and definitely competitive, but I see Ward winning a UD having been stung a couple of times himself but also having frustrated Kovalev and having outlanded him by a decent margin in the clean punching department.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:44 am

I agree with Ward's strength. He can fight on the inside and he is a real LH now.

If Ward can get his jab going early (Kovalev has a good jab too), I think he will take a good lead early. Kovalev WILL hurt him at some stage and I expect him to try and come on strong late.

It's a good fight, but if Ward turns up, he should win.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:46 am

I can see this fight being really difficult to score with a lot of debate afterwards about how you scored rounds. Will people fancy Kovalev's aggression or Ward's countering. Sometimes you just prefer one of those styles over the other and will score rounds to the style you prefer. But it's two top guys against each other so really can't wait for it.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:53 am

I think Ward might struggle to impose his strength here actually. Kovalev is a big, strong light heavyweight and I don't imagine Ward will be looking to linger inside and use his usual smothering, holding, head and forearms routine.

It does feel as though we're about to witness Ward's defining performance but the intrigue is genuine. I wonder whether Ward still has the same legs he once did and whether he'll be able to hold Kovalev's shots. The Russian isn't a one shot puncher, he tends to get a fighter going and then reels them in with bundles of hard shots.

You can't help but be impressed by Ward's approach, though. He's so measured and professional - he never flusters, never gets emotional.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:22 am

I think Ward is going to struggle to impose his size like he has on guys at Super Middleweight

Kovalev hits incredibly hard and is a very good boxer, I don't think Ward is going to survive the onslaught

I hope if the going gets tough, Ward doesn't revert to his dirty tactics ("veteran moves")

Kovalev by KO for me

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

I think Ward can handle the pressure. He is like other greats in that area.

It's a bold prediction, but I think Ward is going to make this look relatively comfortable. Kovalev will have moments, but the winner won't be in doubt.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm

AdamT wrote:I think Ward can handle the pressure. He is like other greats in that area.

It's a bold prediction, but I think Ward is going to make this look relatively comfortable. Kovalev will have moments, but the winner won't be in doubt.

I could see that happening

I hope whoever wins doesn't get the win discredited by some bs

I cannot wait for this fight!

Think I might stay up for it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm

Yeah if Kovalev wins, I will give him huge credit. I'm picking Ward, but I honestly don't mind who wins. Hope it's a good fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

I could see Kovalev doing a number on him they're not going to allow Andre to grapple in this fight keep the fight on the outside which is Sergey's kind of fight honest Ward may have bitten off more than he chan chew in this one

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Santa Frampton 2 also been confirmed too I think so that's another positive after the Wlad disappointment

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:22 pm

It's a genuine pickem. Part of me can see a possible pavlik bhop.. Where the boxer nullifies the threat of stronger, harder hitter. Part of me thinks kovalev is good enough to get through often enough to really rattle ward. Suspect we'll know how it's going to pan out from fairly early in the fight, but as of now, I have no idea!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:23 pm

Must be sore on that fence Milky!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

Is the Wlad fight definitely off, Sky are reporting the WBA are still yet to make a ruling, which is today?

Also who the hell is Haye fighting, he was supposed to make a big announcement lol

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:30 pm

Haye is a grade A clown. couldn't care less about that chap now.

I don't think wlad fancies the fight. Could be wrong.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Is the Wlad fight definitely off, Sky are reporting the WBA are still yet to make a ruling, which is today?

Also who the hell is Haye fighting, he was supposed to make a big announcement lol
Haye's big opponent is...Cancer. He's obviously involved in the "Stand Up To Cancer" thing this weekend and the cheeky wee scamp has teased us into thinking that he's not going to debase himself by getting involved in a fight with Tony Bellew and instead continue to pursue the HW dream....but no, he's basically said he's going to be on the telly.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

I liked Haye before. Don't dislike him now, but I don't care who he fights.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

AdamT wrote:Must be sore on that fence Milky!!

Safest place to be with a fight like this... Despite the uncomfortable splinters

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:40 pm

You want to beat Ward you mustn't let him hold you

Shame on Haye taking the Bellew fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:46 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:You want to beat Ward you mustn't let him hold you

Shame on Haye taking the Bellew fight

There will always be holding.

If Holyfield couldn't hold, he would of been a Tyson victim. watched that fight again yesterday. Good fight, but the amount of grabbing was diabolical.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:52 pm

Can't let Ward hold you Adam Froch understood it too late in their fight John David has been drumming it into Sergy hence the slightly classless comments they'll break his hands if he tried to hold

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

Can't let him, but it's hard to stop. All of Tyson's opponents grabbed him and frustrated him.

If Sergey can get his own jab going and stop Ward mugging him, then quite simply he will win the fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 20 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

I fancy Ward by decision, great fighters always find the way and I think Ward may just be that.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

If it goes the distance then Ward most likely wins. And I think it is likely to go the distance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

Kovalev either bombs Ward out inside 3 rounds or Ward schools him over 12

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Kovalev either bombs Ward out inside 3 rounds or Ward schools him over 12

Jermaine, you are a veritable oracle

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:Kovalev either bombs Ward out inside 3 rounds or Ward schools him over 12

Jermaine, you are a veritable oracle
I'm backing Ward 1000% thumbsup

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:10 pm

When this was first announced I thought Kov by KO as too big, too strong and too big puncher. But closer it gets I'm keep now thinking Ward might be a smart and a bit too shrewd for Kov to pin down especially looking at Kovs last performances. But Ward has hardly been that active over last 2 years and not been really tested. Agggghhh I just don't know.

Can't wait though and def staying up for this one.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:10 pm

Jermaine that is definitely one way to call it Wink

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:16 pm

I wasn't that surprised Isaac took him the distance if anyone was going to it was Isaac so I don't take too much from that fight

I wouldn't like to put a lot of money on this one don't necessarily expect an exciting fight but do expect an extremely tense one

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:16 pm

AdamT wrote:Jermaine that is definitely one way to call it Wink
Just feel unless Kovalev drops a bomb, Ward's grappling style would sap the Russian's energy and break his will.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:43 pm

I agree mate.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:48 pm

The one thing that I am happy about is that both fighters have happily taken the fight to test themselves against the best opponent possible. This is how proper champions roll - take note the heavy division!

I don't like Ward, I never have, but you have to admire his technical nous and ability to frustrate and make people miss. Great movement, great defence, a solid chin and unshakeable belief.

I also think it's unfair that a lot of people see Kovalev as this brutal puncher and nothing else. He is a great boxer and may raise his game enough on the night to do enough coupled with his power to see off Ward's challenge.

It's a fascinating match-up, and although the boxer usually out-does the puncher, I am not so sure that applies as much in this fight. With no amount of certainty can I predict the outcome here. I am going to sit on the fence and call a draw.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:02 am

... Yep I wouldn't give kovalev much of a chance if he was just a banger... It's the fact that he has the ability to use his power that makes him dangerous.

I haven't watched all of wards 'comeback' fights but from what I have seen, he hasn't looked as sharp as he did at 168 and he's looked a little easier to hit. He won't want to take too many in this fight.

Hoping this fence doesn't break, there's a fair few of us on it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:03 am

Kovalev is quick too. Well quick and aggressive with the jab.

I always favour Ward, but this is the man that could beat him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down