The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal not playing again this season

+2
Born Slippy
sirfredperry
6 posters

Go down

Nadal not playing again this season Empty Nadal not playing again this season

Post by sirfredperry Thu 20 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

It's been announced that Rafa Nadal will not play again in 2016. Here is what he said: “It is no secret that I arrived to the Olympic Games short of preparation and not fully recovered, but the goal was to compete and win a medal for Spain.

“This forced recovery has caused me pain since then and now I am forced to stop and start preparing the 2017 season.”

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Nadal not playing again this season Empty Re: Nadal not playing again this season

Post by Born Slippy Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:42 am

A shame for Rafa but probably a good call. Paris/London aren't his best events and it makes sense to give himself the best chance of being fully fit for Oz. Good chance to gain points there after a R1 exit last year.

At the start of next year, it will be 3 years since he has won a hard court title. If anything, his results have been steadily getting worse since then. Have to feel his only chance now of picking up another major is RG.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Nadal not playing again this season Empty Re: Nadal not playing again this season

Post by banbrotam Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:37 pm

It's now highly likely that at the Aus Open, Rafa will be a potential last 16 opponent, with Roger a last 32 one!!

What's the betting, they meet each other in the last 32 Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:19 pm

banbrotam wrote:It's now highly likely that at the Aus Open, Rafa will be a potential last 16 opponent, with Roger a last 32 one!!

What's the betting, they meet each other in the last 32 Wink

Meanwhile, they've been meeting each other in Mallorca. Tailored suits rather than tennis gear Cool

Lots of warm words from the Fed.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/federer-helps-launch-nadal-academy-october-2016

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:03 pm

Funny comments from Fed in that quote. Words he uses to describe why Rafa has been successful:

Hard worker
Left handed
Spin
Intensity
How much you've trained

Lots of words based on effort. None based on talent.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 24 Oct 2016, 9:05 am

@bs - not really.  If your buddy is opening a sports academy you might want to emphasise the extent to which hard work and technical details have played a part in the development of both of your games - which is exactly what he did.  If it's said to be all about talent that's not really in keeping with the point of an academy is it?

Anyway, Federer has explicitly praised Nadal's talent in the past - http://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/federer-i-knew-from-the-start-that-nadal-would-become-better-than-me_sto5323207/story.shtml.    If you want to see a compliment, going over to Majorca to be at the opening is pretty big, no?

I suspect you are reading too much into a bite-sized quote.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:26 am

Ha, fair comment. I wasn't being serious by the way. I'm well aware there is a lot of mutual respect. It just amused me slightly as I was reading through.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 25 Oct 2016, 3:53 am

Well said Barrystar, talent needs naturing to bring out the best and to realize it's full potential so it's only right that Fed talked about hard work and dedication here.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 25 Oct 2016, 4:01 am

I like the mutual respect too between Fed and Nadal. It's an honor for Fed that he was invited for the opening ceremony, the only player among current players in the main tour to have that honor and Fed gladly obliged by showing his presence there. Nadal truly has great respect for Fed!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down