The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sporting Maverick's

+2
AdamT
huw
6 posters

Go down

Sporting Maverick's Empty Sporting Maverick's

Post by huw Tue 25 Oct 2016, 9:40 am

The maverick in sport is a dying breed.

Probably the most recent acceptable maverick was Ronnie O’Sullivan and his ability and the fact he isn’t overly controversial in his excesses has allowed him to remain an important sales tool to his sport.

Football no longer has mavericks. The George Best’s, the Eric Cantona’s and Matt Le Tissier’s that used to bring so much joy for their raw ability and lack of convention to the rules have been replaced. The new breed of football maverick is as dedicated to their health and sport as they are talented, media trained to the point of boring.

Rugby’s drinking culture has turned into the sporting supplements culture.

The media overly critical of anyone who doesn’t fit the industry standard.

Boxing is the sport that I find the most entertaining.

It does still have the odd maverick. Floyd Mayweather was one. Regardless of the criticism he received he continued to do things his way and rarely felt any type of law was relevant to him. Building a persona of brash, arrogant elite sportsman. The media was unable to stop him behaving in the way he wanted.

Adrian Broner tried to take Mayweather’s blueprint and run with it. The media appears to have been able to shut this down although it could be argued that he didn’t have the talent to be able t get away with it.

Britain’s own (or Ireland’s own depending what mood you catch him in) Tyson Fury has been another of these mavericks. He says what he wants with little or no filter and regardless of whether you agree with his views (hopefully very few do) he still does things in his own way. The media won’t allow him to continue behaving in the way he has and was very quick to shut him down once he had got to the top of his sport.

If you just look at the things Mike Tyson used to say you would think that Tyson Fury is an angel. Manny Pacquiao shares some very similar beliefs to Tyson Fury, they are both very religious and just about everything that is now considered normal or a free choice is considered a sin.

Would any maverick be able to survive in the world of sport when sport is under such scrutiny?

Any views that are expressed without media training leads to condensation from a media that is usually far more extreme in views and actions that most of these athletes.

If a young supremely talented athlete comes along would they be able to cope with the spotlight they are now under?

huw

Back to top Go down

Sporting Maverick's Empty Re: Sporting Maverick's

Post by AdamT Tue 25 Oct 2016, 9:42 am

MMA has the maverick now. Boxing has no real star.

It has some quality fighters, but people lap up all the trash talk and silly behaviour.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 25 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

AdamT wrote:MMA has the maverick now. Boxing has no real star.

It has some quality fighters, but people lap up all the trash talk and silly behaviour.

Not a big fan of MMA as a whole. Used to like K1 as it was a little more boxing like but with that being said I do like Conor McGregor, he is a character and you are right in that he really does fit into the maverick mould.

I guess the thing about modern day maverick's is that you either love them or hate them.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 25 Oct 2016, 10:07 am

I'm not a huge fan of it, but it makes the fight and the Americans lap up all the WWE style nonsense.

Boxing has potential to be huge again, but it needs these guys to fight.

Anyway back to the thread.

Who is a potential maverick? Don't like Broner, but if he kept winning he was the obvious candidate. Though he always seemed a poor imitation of Floyd.

I would like AJ to move away from a nice guy. He most likely is a good guy, but he should go down the Foreman and Tyson route.

'The baddest man in the planet' sort of thing. He has the power to back up any tough talk.

Americans like silly behaviour and it's were he would make the money.

A heavyweight that looks like him and can fight, is the future of the sport.

It's a good thing if AJ can keep winning and improving.

I do think he is the next star.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 25 Oct 2016, 10:14 am

If there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system [extends middle digit], then, it's Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say "that's what I think of your selection policy ['magics the beans'], yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you p1ss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics."

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 25 Oct 2016, 11:06 am

AdamT wrote:I'm not a huge fan of it, but it makes the fight and the Americans lap up all the WWE style nonsense.

Boxing has potential to be huge again, but it needs these guys to fight.

Anyway back to the thread.

Who is a potential maverick? Don't like Broner, but if he kept winning he was the obvious candidate. Though he always seemed a poor imitation of Floyd.

I would like AJ to move away from a nice guy. He most likely is a good guy, but he should go down the Foreman and Tyson route.

'The baddest man in the planet' sort of thing. He has the power to back up any tough talk.

Americans like silly behaviour and it's were he would make the money.

A heavyweight that looks like him and can fight, is the future of the sport.

It's a good thing if AJ can keep winning and improving.

I do think he is the next star.

I think there is a bit of the Bruno to AJ.

AJ was a troubled youth who was getting in a lot of trouble but has been pushed into being the nice quiet guy persona.

Not many people like to be the bad guy.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 25 Oct 2016, 11:10 am

Fair point. He will make money and build a legacy being nice. Providing he keeps winning.

If he adopts a bit of the Tyson/Dempsey/Foreman/Liston character, I guarantee more people will be interested in him.

How many fans just watched Pacquaio or Mayweather fights? How many fans just watched Tyson fights back in the day?

The sport needs these guys to bring over casual (hate the word) fans.

I really think Joshua is that man. He can be the cross over star.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:07 pm

AdamT wrote:Fair point. He will make money and build a legacy being nice. Providing he keeps winning.

If he adopts a bit of the Tyson/Dempsey/Foreman/Liston character, I guarantee more people will be interested in him.

How many fans just watched Pacquaio or Mayweather fights? How many fans just watched Tyson fights back in the day?

The sport needs these guys to bring over casual (hate the word) fans.

I really think Joshua is that man. He can be the cross over star.

I think Bruno subsequent issues may have been partly due to having to toe the line of the nice guy. Hard to imagine how you would feel if you don't see yourself in the same way that everyone who adores you does. Nothing can really appear real and how would you trust if you don't even believe in the you everyone else thinks they know. Lucky I know I'm the c*nt everyone sees angel

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

superflyweight wrote:If there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system [extends middle digit], then, it's Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say "that's what I think of your selection policy ['magics the beans'], yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you p1ss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics."

There is much to admire in botham's approach. Shame he's such a Cnut.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 25 Oct 2016, 1:20 pm

superflyweight wrote:If there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system [extends middle digit], then, it's Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say "that's what I think of your selection policy ['magics the beans'], yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you p1ss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics."

Bit X-rated that post, superfly. Good job Eric Hitchmoe isn't here. Because you know what he'd say, don't you? "I don't agree with that in the workplace!"

Sorry huw, back on point. I think the structures both of the media and the sport itself these days make it harder to be a real character and to stand out from the crowd. Social media means anyone remotely in the spotlight can and will have their smallest actions scrutinised by millions across the globe within seconds, and as boxing becomes more and more of a niche sport there's a desperation on the part of some to 'appeal' to as wide an audience as possible, which right now seems to entail becoming a favourite with the grannies and those who might only watch a couple of fights per year, ala Matchroom's plan with Joshua.

Another problem is that a big personality doesn't mean that much if the guy possessing it isn't much cop as a fighter. To create a possible figurehead for the sport who can be a little different and get more people following it needs to be someone who can back it up -  and as in any sport, that's easier said than done.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 25 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Bit X-rated that post, superfly. Good job Eric Hitchmoe isn't here. Because you know what he'd say, don't you? "I don't agree with that in the workplace!"

Sorry huw, back on point. I think the structures both of the media and the sport itself these days make it harder to be a real character and to stand out from the crowd. Social media means anyone remotely in the spotlight can and will have their smallest actions scrutinised by millions across the globe within seconds, and as boxing becomes more and more of a niche sport there's a desperation on the part of some to 'appeal' to as wide an audience as possible, which right now seems to entail becoming a favourite with the grannies and those who might only watch a couple of fights per year, ala Matchroom's plan with Joshua.

Another problem is that a big personality doesn't mean that much if the guy possessing it isn't much cop as a fighter. To create a possible figurehead for the sport who can be a little different and get more people following it needs to be someone who can back it up -  and as in any sport, that's easier said than done.

Chris, it would never be fair of me to complain about a thread getting off topic. Pot, kettle and the rest this would entail.

It is funny isn't it how now anyone with a personality has to hide it if they are in the public eye. The media so quick to lash out at people.

I guess it will take an Ali like character who seemed to get some real hatred when he first came along as brash and arrogant but who had the strength of character to carry on regardless. Maybe it was the team he surrounded himself with that helped build the 'us against the world' mentality.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 25 Oct 2016, 3:26 pm

America hated Ali at the beginning. Loads of people hated him. Funny how he became the most loved/charismatic athlete ever.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 25 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

AdamT wrote:America hated Ali at the beginning. Loads of people hated him. Funny how he became the most loved/charismatic athlete ever.

Its the same with every fighter when you look back (well most at least)

I'm sure Manny and Floyd won't divide opinion so much later on

Maybe GGG as well Wink

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down