The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Australia

+49
uncle_nigel
alfie
munkian
Breadvan
Scottrf
Heaf
nlpnlp
emack2
Hammersmith harrier
funnyExiledScot
Mad for Chelsea
carpet baboon
bathmad
emontagu
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
Exiledinborders
yappysnap
RDW
BigTrevsbigmac
Gwlad
Hood83
SecretFly
TightHEAD
tazfalklands
Sgt_Pooly
Cumbrian
Gooseberry
Cyril
WELL-PAST-IT
little_badger
BamBam
mid_gen
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
beshocked
lostinwales
Geordie
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
doctor_grey
rozakthegoon
Barney McGrew did it
robbo277
Poorfour
MrsP
king_carlos
ChequeredJersey
nathan
53 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

England vs Australia  - Page 4 Empty England vs Australia

Post by nathan Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Billy out for 3-4 months.

nathan

Back to top Go down

England vs Australia  - Page 4 Empty Re: England vs Australia

Post by lostinwales Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:08 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Speaking of which it'll be Slade covering full back by the looks of it, or possibly May?

Must be Slade. You could have a situation where Slade or Te'o come into the center - Joseph goes to the wing and May to FB but I can't really see it happening.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:30 am

Hasn't May played full back quite a few times for Gloucester

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

Just seems to make sense to use Slade, minimise the disruption on the backline in the event of a Brown injury

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:33 am

The telegraph has a gallery of a combined '03 and '16 team. Brown (for aggression. See - some people like it), Joseph, Mako, Hartley (just) and Itoje make the cut; honourable mentions for Ford, Farrell, Youngs, Cole, Robshaw and Billy.

My view would be that's about right (though Itoje and Johnson would not work as a lineout pairing) and I'd pick Funbus over both Woodman and Mako.

Be interesting to see what this would look like in a year's time. Maintain the progress they've made so far and I can see many more close decisions. Greenwood, Hill, Back, Dawson and Johnson are probably most secure in their positions.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:34 am

May can cover FB, played there numerous times. He's got a poop kicking game but he could do a job for 10/15mins.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

Poorfour wrote:The telegraph has a gallery of a combined '03 and '16 team. Brown (for aggression. See - some people like it), Joseph, Mako, Hartley (just) and Itoje make the cut; honourable mentions for Ford, Farrell, Youngs, Cole, Robshaw and Billy.

My view would be that's about right (though Itoje and Johnson would not work as a lineout pairing) and I'd pick Funbus over both Woodman and Mako.

Be interesting to see what this would look like in a year's time. Maintain the progress they've made so far and I can see many more close decisions. Greenwood, Hill, Back, Dawson and Johnson are probably most secure in their positions.

Brown over Lewsey Shocked

JJ would probably just edge Tindall but Tinds was a fine player back then. Hartley would be close, but other than that I wouldn't have any of this side over 2003!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

BamBam wrote:
Poorfour wrote:The telegraph has a gallery of a combined '03 and '16 team. Brown (for aggression. See - some people like it), Joseph, Mako, Hartley (just) and Itoje make the cut; honourable mentions for Ford, Farrell, Youngs, Cole, Robshaw and Billy.

JJ would probably just edge Tindall but Tinds was a fine player back then. Hartley would be close, but other than that I wouldn't have any of this side over 2003!

Not yet...

It is a different era. The whole 2003 team was a bit special but then sometimes the ratings of the players follows the achievements rather than preceeding them. Tindall was limited but very good within those limitations. JJ is a much more rounded player but without the bulk

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm

I think JJ is becoming a top class player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:20 pm

BamBam wrote:

Agree with that, Joseph is the only one I would possibly have in the 03 team, Brown over Lewsey is just a no, it helped that he and Robinson could cover each other something Brown can't do. The pack would exactly as it is, not even sure that Mako would be a bench option back then.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:37 pm

Two Aussie Coaches sledging each other PRICELESS laughing laughing laughing
GO England👍

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:59 pm

RE Telegraph surprised Phil Vickery gets the nod, thought he had retired.

And regards Eddie, he is fast turning into the gobby chump that Gatland used to insist on playing.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:34 pm

The bookies are giving England a 9 point advantage - seems quite generous as I think this could be quite a close game. Missing Billy and Launchbury leaves England a bit underpowered for me - I just can't see England running away with it. Mako is a liability at scrum time and it just takes the referee to take against him for Australia to get a big advantage . So put my money where my mouth is a bet on Australia to keep within 9 points, but hope England win by 4 or 5.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:04 am

I be thinking not many of the current Aussie squad would get into their 2003 squad. Even fewer of the team England are playing on Saturday.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:30 am

doctor_grey wrote:I be thinking not many of the current Aussie squad would get into their 2003 squad.  Even fewer of the team England are playing on Saturday.  

Interesting idea:

15-Israel Folau, 14-Dane Haylett-Petty, 13-Tevita Kuridrani, 12-Reece Hodge, 11-Sefa Naivalu, 10-Bernard Foley, 9-Nick Phipps; 1-Scott Sio, 2-Stephen Moore (capt), 3-Sekope Kepu, 4-Kane Douglas, 5-Rob Simmons, 6-David Pocock, 7-Michael Hooper, 8-Lopeti Timani
Replacements: 16-Tolu Latu, 17-James Slipper, 18-Tom Robertson, 19-Dean Mumm, 20-Sean McMahon, 21-Nick Frisby, 22-Quade Cooper, 23-Henry Speight

VS
FB15Mat Rogers
RW14Wendell SailorEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 71'
OC13Stirling Mortlock
IC12Elton Flatley
LW11Lote Tuqiri
FH10Stephen LarkhamEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg temp'
SH9George Gregan (c)
N88David LyonsEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 57'
OF7Phil Waugh
BF6George Smith
RL5Nathan SharpeEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 48'
LL4Justin Harrison
TP3Al Baxter
HK2Brendan CannonEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 57 '
LP1Bill YoungEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 92'
Replacements:
HK16Jeremy PaulEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 57'
PR17Matt DunningEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 92'
LK18David GiffinEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 48'
N819Matt CockbainEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 57'
SH20Chris Whitaker
FH21Matt GiteauEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg temp'
WG22Joe Roff

I'd personally pick:

15- Folau
14- DHP
13- Mortlock
12- Flatley (I'd probably actually consider Mortlock and Kurudrani as the centres overall)
11- Tuqiri
10-Larkham
9- Gregan
8- Lyons
7- Pocock
6- Smith
5- Sharpe
4- Harrison
3- Kepu
2- Moore
1- Young

Subs- the props are all not exactly great choices, Slipper by almost default! Paul, Giffin, McMahon, Whitakker, Giteau, Roff
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:30 am

Actually, right now Baxter over Kepu probably
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 9:55 am

nlpnlp wrote:The bookies are giving England a 9 point advantage - seems quite generous as I think this could be quite a close game.  Missing Billy and Launchbury leaves England a bit underpowered for me - I just can't see England running away with it.  Mako is a liability at scrum time and it just takes the referee to take against him for Australia to get a big advantage .  So put my money where my mouth is a bet on Australia to keep within 9 points, but hope England win by 4 or 5.

I am not so sure it is generous to be honest. This is an England side in great form with that winning momentum. To me, they are currently the best side in the world. I would say they would beat the All Blacks right now. They will see off the Aussies easily today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 03 Dec 2016, 10:03 am

England need to win this game for two reasons. 1 to keep their unbeaten record for 2016. 2 to prove the white was in the summer was because they are the better team.

Australia need to win this game to restore some pride for the loss in the summer, and to get revenge for the humiiliation the felt.

It will be a tough game that's for sure. Score line????????? England by 10 i hope.

COME ON ENGLAND.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 03 Dec 2016, 10:46 am

eirebilly wrote:
nlpnlp wrote:The bookies are giving England a 9 point advantage - seems quite generous as I think this could be quite a close game.  Missing Billy and Launchbury leaves England a bit underpowered for me - I just can't see England running away with it.  Mako is a liability at scrum time and it just takes the referee to take against him for Australia to get a big advantage .  So put my money where my mouth is a bet on Australia to keep within 9 points, but hope England win by 4 or 5.

I am not so sure it is generous to be honest. This is an England side in great form with that winning momentum. To me, they are currently the best side in the world. I would say they would beat the All Blacks right now. They will see off the Aussies easily today.

I wish I shared your confidence, but if England do win they certainly have a claim to be worthy rivals to the All Blacks. An unbeaten year would be a huge achievement, especially given where they started from.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 10:51 am

If we weren't missing Billy, Joe and Maro I'd be more confident ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I be thinking not many of the current Aussie squad would get into their 2003 squad.  Even fewer of the team England are playing on Saturday.  

Interesting idea:

15-Israel Folau, 14-Dane Haylett-Petty, 13-Tevita Kuridrani, 12-Reece Hodge, 11-Sefa Naivalu, 10-Bernard Foley, 9-Nick Phipps; 1-Scott Sio, 2-Stephen Moore (capt), 3-Sekope Kepu, 4-Kane Douglas, 5-Rob Simmons, 6-David Pocock, 7-Michael Hooper, 8-Lopeti Timani
Replacements: 16-Tolu Latu, 17-James Slipper, 18-Tom Robertson, 19-Dean Mumm, 20-Sean McMahon, 21-Nick Frisby, 22-Quade Cooper, 23-Henry Speight
VS
FB15Mat Rogers
RW14Wendell SailorEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 71'
OC13Stirling Mortlock
IC12Elton Flatley
LW11Lote Tuqiri
FH10Stephen LarkhamEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg temp'
SH9George Gregan (c)
N88David LyonsEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 57'
OF7Phil Waugh
BF6George Smith
RL5Nathan SharpeEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 48'
LL4Justin Harrison
TP3Al Baxter
HK2Brendan CannonEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 57 '
LP1Bill YoungEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_off.svg 92'
Replacements:
HK16Jeremy PaulEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 57'
PR17Matt DunningEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 92'
LK18David GiffinEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 48'
N819Matt CockbainEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg 57'
SH20Chris Whitaker
FH21Matt GiteauEngland vs Australia  - Page 4 10px-Sub_on.svg temp'
WG22Joe Roff

I'd personally pick:

15- Folau
14- DHP
13- Mortlock
12- Flatley (I'd probably actually consider Mortlock and Kurudrani as the centres overall)
11- Tuqiri
10-Larkham
9- Gregan
8- Lyons
7- Pocock
6- Smith
5- Sharpe
4- Harrison
3- Kepu
2- Moore
1- Young

Subs- the props are all not exactly great choices, Slipper by almost default! Paul, Giffin, McMahon, Whitakker, Giteau, Roff
Glad you pulled this up.  It was getting late when the thought hit me.  I do remember that Wallabies team because the core of that team were Brumbies who won the Super 12 the very next season (I was in Canberra when they beat Cursaders with that huge scoreline).  

I agree with your choices 100%.  Interesting we came to the same conclusions, not many current Wallabies could crack that old team.  Most of their props were mush, but they still - somehow(!) - got scrum penalties against England in that final.  The Wallabies had Flately as the kicker so he had to stay at 12.

Weird tidbit about that 2003 Wallabies team:  The back three were all League converts.  All three went back to League some time afterwards.  All three ended up with some legal trouble.  I Think Tuqiri played a short bit with Leicester at one point (or was it Leinster?).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 03 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

eirebilly wrote:

They might beat the AB's if the AB's performed at the level they did, say, in France. But AB's playing as well as they can do - that is another question entirely.

It is true that England haven't truly been tested this Autumn. The SA game was done by half time. Fiji was just - Fiji.... Argentina was good because of the stress of playing a man down, but other than that short period around half time (when we were down to 13) we were never actually really under any threat. Maybe it is a reflection on how far (and how fast) we have moved on from the RWC.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:46 pm

lostinwales wrote:
They might beat the AB's if the AB's performed at the level they did, say, in France. But AB's playing as well as they can do - that is another question entirely.

I honestly think they would beat the AB's even with the AB's playing their best. England just look incredibly balanced and strong under Jones.

They have beaten the Aussies 3-0 in their own patch and I think that in England, they will cruise to victory thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:46 pm

But isn't part of the skill of rugby to stop your opponents playing at their best level?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:49 pm

:
Poorfour wrote:But isn't part of the skill of rugby to stop your opponents playing at their best level?

Very Happy Funny how many of these teams we have played over the last year havn't been at their best....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:03 pm

eirebilly wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I honestly think they would beat the AB's even with the AB's playing their best. England just look incredibly balanced and strong under Jones.

They have beaten the Aussies 3-0 in their own patch and I think that in England, they will cruise to victory thumbsup
Billy, I am hoping so. Would end the International season on a good note.

Even if England lose, it has been a great year on the heels of 'the year that wasn't - 2015'. But t is always better to end a season with a win. Wallabies can virtually erase a poor year with the win, and will come out aggressive. England can put the season down as redemption and a mind-erase for 2015 with the win. And feel completely confident going into next year.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:09 pm

doc, I have never been more certain of a victory for England over the Aussies as I am today. That series whitewash gave this team the belief that they can beat anyone.

Its a shame that they did not play the AB's these AI's, would have been a great competition against the best two teams in the world.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:29 pm

My only concern is that without Billy and Hask we may struggle getting good quick front foot ball and not be able to slow theirs down as effectively.

We shall see though Smile

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm

Australia by 7 then

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:32 pm

hmmmm, thought that was a knock on by Phipps

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:34 pm

Yeah I thought knock on. Foley can't kick.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:34 pm

With this idiot reffing don't expect him to get much right

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:35 pm

My god. That is a let off.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:41 pm

ANd tht was easy by Australia

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

Jeez the Aussies are up for this!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

What a shambles.....Hartley missed hook, Mako collapsing

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

Big turnover there by Chris Robshaw.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:What a shambles.....Hartley missed hook, Mako collapsing

Tom youngs eh ;P

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

Yarde is having a mare out there. Should not have given up and forced the Aussie to touch down in the corner and then sucked in easily for the Aussie break.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

Oz 6 detached early mind and kicked the ball back - not sure that was entirely legal

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:44 pm

England still in the changing room. Shocking..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:45 pm

Yarde is not having a mare? Hes made his tackles hasn't he?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

Inside pass to Hooper was miles forwards too ..

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yarde is not having a mare? Hes made his tackles hasn't he?

Explained above in my first post why I believe he is having a mare.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:48 pm

nathan wrote:

Tom youngs eh ;P

Like Youngs with his great basics would help lol

Mako is getting absolutley smashed

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:50 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
nathan wrote:

Tom youngs eh ;P

Like Youngs with his great basics would help lol

Mako is getting absolutley smashed

His basics have been pretty good this season

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:54 pm

Well this is an England thread, cant see what Youngs has to do it.

Yarde another missed tackle, jeez that Aus 11 is quick

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

England looking like Wales in defense, just standing back, awful so far
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:58 pm

Much better from England now. They look to have settled into the game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:58 pm

Australia are winning all the collisions...just like we won them in the summer.

It makjes a big difference.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 03 Dec 2016, 2:59 pm

Farrell has had a poor series....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down