The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lloyd Honeygan

+3
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
mckay1402
7 posters

Go down

Lloyd Honeygan Empty Lloyd Honeygan

Post by mckay1402 Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Curious as to why nobody talks of him when compiling lists of the great British fighters. Dominated Don Curry who at the time was considered the best p4p on the planet. Where does he fit in?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Lloyd Honeygan Empty Re: Lloyd Honeygan

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:43 am

Good question....Maybe because he is hard to rate....

Stracey perhaps also...

Beat the greatish Don on an evening where consensus seemed to agree he was availiable for dethroning..Beat the inconsistent Blocker and over achieving limited Rosi and was fed 140 pounders while being kept away from Breland as champion.

Lost to the appalling Vaca and got humiliated against Starling and Breland after smacking Chung's marbles up his throat..

I don't know how good he was...But I do know Starling and Breland didn't rate him....They both rated Brown though.

Starling..."I don't see it..They say he punches a bit but what else does he do ??"

9-0.....That schooling still gives me a hard on.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Ha trussy we've had this out a few times!

He is hard to rate... his reign was certainly patchy. Being champion went to his head, he started trying to knock everyone out and started partying hard. Starling and breland didn't rate him... but curry did. Draw your own conclusions.

Was blocker inconsistent truss? Good when he beat starling, rubbish when he lost to honeyghan presumably!

Starling was a very useful operator and may well have had the number of the best version of honeyghan, but he didn't fight the best version.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

9-0.....That schooling still gives me a hard on.

I guess at our age, you take any hard on you can get fella

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:25 pm

I only wrote it to see how long it would be till you posted on it..

Honeyghan and Milky go hand in hand..

All the best for 2017..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:32 pm

I gathered you were fishing fella, I left this thread alone waiting for you. Have a good one yourself.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:25 am

One of those 140lbers that was fed to Honeyghan, beat Starling before getting beat in 2 rounds by Honeyghan.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 am

I know stopped early ..Technical decision. ... Starling was a notoriously slow starter as you know....Or maybe you don't...

Starling lost to Blocker too and was lucky against Ozaki..Motivation was always an issue for him....Better as an underdog..

Brown was his best win for me.....Great bit in that fight when a schooled Brown turns southpaw and Starling looks at him like..."Really"..Ayers was a great win..Number 1 in the WBA and WBC..

Bump city was lost to drugs well before Honey.....Duva admitted he just wanted to get him a final payday...Remember the interview....He went on to say he had to wait till Pazienza slapped Honey to get his revenge for the illegal shot on Bumphus at the start of the 2nd....

Bottom line really... The two best welters along with Brown of the post Curry era that didn't buy his win over Curry.. were......9-0 in rounds and 20-15 in points when they beat him..

It is hard to get away from that.......Happy new year.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am

I guess bumphus was lost to drugs then when he beat starling 6 months earlier... which fortunate or not is why he was fed to honey not starling.

Honey was rolled like a drunk by a jab by breland, he was shot to pieces. Which is lucky for breland as its the only notable name in the win column for him... never scaled the heights the amateur hype built up for him... does a ko over the rotting carcass of honeyghan elevate him to joint top of the post curry welters? He got starched by starling, Davis and vaca, that nonentity you mentioned who got lucky with honey before getting splattered in the return.

I like starling, though, he gave me one of my favourite moments in boxing too... the molinares ko and post fight interview. Very Happy

Blocker, brown, starling, honey, breland. None of them separated themselves from the pack really. All won and lost to at least one of the others (and only one beat a 'great' welter). Brown probably has the best case... and the best other win, over Norris, starling has the best head to head record.

Brown also competes with starling molinares for comedy gold with his 'still fighting whilst unconscious' moment against vince pettway.

Happy new year to all.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Think Trussman is being a bit hard on Jorge Vaca who was a pretty tough and awkward Mexican who if memory serves was actually pretty good albeit in a limited sort of a way.

Honeyghan for me goes about 10th in a post War British list with only the likes of Calzaghe, Lewis, Hatton, Hamed, Froch, Buchanan being obviously above him.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Would froch obviously be above him? Never no 1 at his weight, no real defining wins... just a few very good ones and longevity. Open to debate I'd think.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 pm

If you don't buy Curry ..bearing in mind two that didn't smashed his face in.....Honey only ever lost to top fighters..

If you add Curry in...Froch beat better fighters overall and didn't lose to someone as useless as Jorge.

Froch higher.....I would concede however to being not the most objective though.

But I think I'm right.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Was 9-0 on the official cards? Admittedly I haven't watched it in ages, but I seem to recall Honeyghan taking or at least sharing the first 3 rounds before Starling landing a peach of counter in the 4th and then never relinquishing control.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:08 pm

It was a complete mismatch....He just blocked and dismantled him....

I don't like Honeyghan and I'm biased but you can't dress up Starling v Honey.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Wumming and banter aside, do you think starling does exactly the same to the honeyghan that fought curry?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Silly question.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:42 pm

True, silly to ask you to put wumming aside

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:04 pm

I've had the same opinions for years and now I'm trolling....Learn something new everyday day..

Trying to chuck Bumphus at Starling is scraping the barrel.  It was a TD...and Starling a la Ozaki...Molinares...Breland....Ayers...Chung was a notoriously slow starter...I watched those fights...Did you ??

I gave you the Duva quote above on Honey v Bump city Bumphus...Feel free to validate it..

Curry was the only top fighter Honey beat..and he was a shell that night.....

End of story really..

Best wishes to Mrs Milk and the family.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:56 pm

It was a joke trussy.

I didn't chuck bumphus at starling, that was Atila... and I have seen the fight. Starling was coming back into it. So what, he lost on a td... Like a one handed honey did to Vaca. I've seen the curry starling fights. I've seen the second breland fight, thought starling won, and I've certainly seen the molinares fight (I rib you about it often enough) where he finished slower than he started! I'm not sure whether I sat through all of nunn fight, I can only take so much punishment.

...But blocker's inconsistent and starling sometimes lacked motivation, curry was weight drained. You have caveats for your favourites fella and no allowances for those you don't. Hey we all do it, at least you admit you aren't objective on this topic. I'm not going to claim I am either.

The honey that beat curry was a different fighter to the one who fought starling. You only have to watch the fights to see that. Starling might well have had his number stylistically regardless, he was excellent defensively, but he wouldn't dismantle him with the ease he did when they fought.

As for curry being weight drained, he was apparently drained for a fair few of his previous fights too... jones, mcrory. He walked around big and cut weight... makes for a good story and a handy excuse when it goes t1ts up. I was a huge curry fan back in the day, we brits watched the jones fight in awe. He didn't look sharp against honey, but how much was weight and how much down to honey having an awkward style for him? Maybe a bit of both.

Hey we've done all this before, it's like an old boring friend. I'll draw a line here. Give my best to the red baroness and my kids.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm

milkyboy wrote: I didn't chuck bumphus at starling, that was Atila...
Laugh   As soon as my back is turned you throw me under the bus. Grasser.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 am

laughing 'i cannot tell a lie, it was him m'lud'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:44 pm

I agree that Honey should be ranked highly as a British fighter, purely on the Curry fight.
He fought a tactical masterclass that night. He never seemed as good afterwards; my feeling is that his self-styled "Raggamuffin " lifestyle led to him beign a bit fleshier and relying on brute force rather than the cunning that earned him that fantastic victory.

All in all, his career was something of a disappointment for me  ,especially his unbelieveably stupid tactics for the Marlon Starling fight. He had been asking for the fight for years,and  having seen Starling lose a controversial fight* by one punch, he simply thought that all he had to do was  bomb him out. He admitted his strategy  beforehand to the press, so the  canny Starling  simply weathered the early storm to hand him a lesson.

*(The New York Times - 07/30/1988:

It was a night of strange endings.

In the final bout of a welterweight title doubleheader, Marlon Starling, the World Boxing Association champion, lost his crown to Tomas Molinares of Barranquilla, Colombia, when Starling was counted out after the bell in the fifth round of a 12-round bout. Joe Cortez, the referee, ruled that the right-hand punch by Molinares was in motion before the bell sounded and therefore legal.

Larry Hazzard, the New Jersey boxing commissioner, supported the referee, saying that the punch may have landed "a fraction of a second after the bell" but that Molinares's punch started before the bell.

However, when Ross Greenburg of Home Box Office, which televised the bout, replayed the sequence, the tape seemed to show that Molinares's punch started after the bell sounded.

Starling, of Hartford, dropped sideways to the canvas when he was hit by the controversial right-hand blow of Molinares. He rolled onto his back and apparently injured a leg.

As Starling was carried from the ring on a stretcher, he asked reporters if he had been counted out. When he was told he had been, he said -very much surprised - "I was?"

Starling was taken by ambulance to Atlantic City Medical Center, where a preliminary examination disclosed a slight sprain of the right ankle. )

NB, truss, I am going to rise above copying and pasting my old Honey/Curry article, this time Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:43 am

The in-ring post fight interview of the molinares fight is comedy gold. Poor old marlon had no idea what happened.

Re the knockout, both threw punches after the bell, starling missed, molinares didn't!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 pm

No one believes Molinares was before or at the bell...It's just silly.

Hazard was sticking up for the referee..Fair play.

Taking the pee out of a fighter who had just been stopped illegally..Really ??

What next having a pop at Blackwell being stopped sparring after Eubank..

You haven't refuted anything I've written..

Breland and Starling puked on Honey v Curry..

80-72
20-15

Everything else is irrelevant....To me anyway.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm

The most relevant thing of all is that Honeyghan made Curry quit, what came after when he was more concerned with partying than boxing is pretty irrelevant. Ultimately Honeyghan did what Starling couldn't.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 pm

What a load of crap..

Liston stopped Patterson in 1 and Ali couldn't. .

Useless Ali.... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Poor example considering Ali embarrassed Patterson, Honeyghan won the one fight that really mattered whereas Starling lost twice.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 pm

If you say so...

Curry fought Starling when he could make 147 comfortably ...You can think Honey beat a good version but two guys that disagree with you hammered him...I've got a good case..

Sorry kid.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm

You have absolutely no case and you know it Truss, you're making excuses for one of your favourites, I might as well use Berbick as an example of Ali not being much cop.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm happy with my position ....Curry looked like an extra out of Schindler's list...Starling and Breland pooed the win.."Any Feather could have beaten Curry that night"..... Starling 86.

We can disagree we do plenty of that and it's cool..

But don't try all this "and you know it Truss"..

My case is a good one and Starling and Breland are expert witnesses..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one believes Molinares was before or at the bell...It's just silly.

Hazard was sticking up for the referee..Fair play.

Taking the pee out of a fighter who had just been stopped illegally..Really ??

What next having a pop at Blackwell being stopped sparring after Eubank..

You haven't refuted anything I've written..

Breland and Starling puked on Honey v Curry..

80-72
20-15

Everything else is irrelevant....To me anyway.....

Molinares was after the bell, but starling was throwing too. As bad as each other. Just starling missed. It wasn't a lamping of a guy with hands dropped walking back to his stool. And yes I did find the post fight interview funny, perhaps it is poor taste, but in the context of there being no long term damage. On the subject of cheap shots, your Blackwell comment was unnecessary. I chuck molinares at you whenever you're positively revelling in the beatings starling and breland dished out to honeyghan, but you want repentance for my poor taste!

People can make their own minds up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMyetpTd8n4

In addition to spouting your usual one eyed tripe on this subject, you appear to have left your sense of humour in 2016. Lighten up beefster.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm

I wonder what Starling says now whenever he sees the post fight interview that he did with Merchant? He doesn't even remember being knocked down or out.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm

He was asked about that a few years back Atila, it went something like this:

Starling:'what interview? I didn't do no interview'

Interviewer: 'the one after the molinares fight marlon'

Starling: 'molinares? I didn't fight no molinares'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 pm

If Honey had made it to the end of the third against Mark..He'd probably have been the only fighter in history to have needed a knockout to win after three..

Wonder what Jorge Vaca is doing these days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 pm

True enough. Lloyd overachieved that night. Making it to the ring unaided was success. A few years earlier he had no problem landing on superdon, lucky for breland it wasn't that version or he'd have had his china chin smashed Wink

Jorge vaca formed a band with Pedro vilella called the journeymen. They were one hit wonders.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down