The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brisbane/Doha/Hopman

+7
Guest82
Lord Christobal
Born Slippy
summerblues
lydian
CaledonianCraig
sirfredperry
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brisbane/Doha/Hopman - Page 2 Empty Brisbane/Doha/Hopman

Post by sirfredperry Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Happy new year to all. They're at it again, as another season starts. Kyle E came thru a tight two-tiebreak match at Brisbane while Federer bt Dan Evans 3 and 4 in the Hopman Cup. By all accounts it was a good match for Rog who came to the net with some success.
Amused to see one report saying Djoko and Andy were on "a collision course" to meet at Doha. As they are going to be ranked one and two for many months we may see this headline quite a bit.
Andy has already chalked up nine weeks at the top and is bound to do three more weeks whatever happens. Of course, a good showing at Melbourne (or a poor show from Djoko) will secure top spot for some time.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Brisbane/Doha/Hopman - Page 2 Empty Re: Brisbane/Doha/Hopman

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Point penalty for Novak now for his second code violation! If this is how the rest of the year will go, it's going to be some season!
Soon as Djokovic ends Murray's fluke run Murray will crumble as he's mentally weak

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 pm

What a match! Didn't see that turnaround coming.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 pm

The bias British Eurosport commentators 'the amazing scrambling of Murray' that's what running around like a headless chicken is these days

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Novak with a lot of very tired looking motions. His level goes up, Murray's drops. Seen this all before. Got to be stronger Andy.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:12 pm

The true world number #1 Novak Djokovic ends the con artist Andy Murray's fluke run of 25 wins. Murray has zero chance of winning any majors in 2017 whilst Djokovic is around.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:35 pm

A terrific match by all accounts. Murray had to lose sooner or later and it was better to go down in three than in straight sets. Djoko, regardless of this result, was always going to be favourite for the AO due to his amazing record there.
Andy, I think, has to make the semis at Melbourne to be sure to hold on to number one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Massive win for Djokovic. Whoever won this was basically establishing themselves as favourite for AO. Had Murray won it he would have confirmed his superiority over the field, but Djokovic winning now raises some questions. It appears as though he might be back.

Murray will have doubts should they play the final in Australia now.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Not sure if this is much of a pointer to Melbourne. It's not as if there was much in it. Win or lose today, Murray was bound to feel apprehensive about facing Djoko in a possible AO final simply cos he's never beaten the Serb there.
I'm predicting that Djoko will win the AO. He usually plays at night when there is no problem with the heat and he seems totally at home in Melbourne.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Murray's lack of talent means he's no chance of beating Djokovic in Melbourne

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Great to see shades of the old Djokovic on display today. Undisputed favourite heading to Australia, 6x champion is a pretty daunting hurdle.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:31 pm

I think it is quite a significant mental advantage for Djokovic. Was probably more important to him than Murray though.

Djokovic always won the WTF and Murray beat him quite handily, despite everything falling in Djokovics favour. I think if it is going to be close, Djokovic has taken back the slight mental edge.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 pm

I have to say I am quite surprised by today's result. Novak has shown such poor form over the past 6 months and struggled to overcome verdasco who is well past his best (though admittedly he can always be dangerous when he gets in his zone).

Murray has been so impressive over the past 6 months and I expected him to come through today. Before summer 2016 I would have always favoured Novak as he tends to play his best when it matters most.

While only a small tournament this is an important win for Novak, he desperately needed a confidence builder. He is still not near his best but at least a big improvement! More aggressive today and hitting more winners, good to see. He has been far too passive in recent months.

Just hope Novak can continue to improve as Murray is still the form player. This win makes the oz open more interesting, had Murray won it would surely have dented djokovics confidence further

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I have to say I am quite surprised by today's result. Novak has shown such poor form over the past 6 months and struggled to overcome verdasco who is well past his best (though admittedly he can always be dangerous when he gets in his zone).

Murray has been so impressive over the past 6 months and I expected him to come through today. Before summer 2016 I would have always favoured Novak as he tends to play his best when it matters most.

While only a small tournament this is an important win for Novak, he desperately needed a confidence builder. He is still not near his best but at least a big improvement! More aggressive today and hitting more winners, good to see. He has been far too passive in recent months.

Just hope Novak can continue to improve as Murray is still the form player. This win makes the oz open more interesting, had Murray won it would surely have dented djokovics confidence further

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:44 am

After beating Raonic, Dimi conquers Nishi to take the Brisbane title. Very good start to the season for him. Dare I suggest he's paying more attention to the tennis than the ladies at the moment?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am

See Dimitrov beat Thiem, Raonic and Nishikori on his way to the title. Wonder if he is playing top five tennis.

Edmund lost in the first round of Sydney. Evans is through though.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2