The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World

+17
nlpnlp
emack2
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
Pete330v2
David-Douglas
Taylorman
lostinwales
majesticimperialman
The Great Aukster
No 7&1/2
Gwlad
robbo277
BamBam
whocares
Tattie Scones RRN
GunsGermsV2
21 posters

Go down

Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World Empty Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:09 pm

According to average match attendance figures anyway.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/gbrennan/six-nations-has-overtaken-the-football-world-cup-in-one-particular-department/

Southern Hemisphere fans will for now have to remain jealous of the annual tournament they could only dream of for their teams.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World Empty Re: Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:22 pm

No doubting it's popularity.

However you can't compare to the RWC (using stadiums with small capacity i.e. Kingsholm, Sandy Park etc.) and the football WC (where most normal spectators couldn't afford tickets).

All it does it tell the numpty's asking for promotion/relegation that it should be left as it is.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World Empty Re: Six Nations is the Greatest Sporting Tournament in the World

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:28 pm

Yeah I agree with you. If it aint broke dont fix it. 6N is as popular as always.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm

But but but.... bonus points?

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm

ebop wrote:But but but.... bonus points?

We will see. Personally I dont think they are necessary.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:48 pm

Neither, the 6Ns is a fantastic competition and the original or whatever the various incarnations were

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 13 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

6N is ranked 48th in terms of total attendance. Am surprised by baseball total attendance, I knew it was huge but 73 million is like double of the 2nd spot (who is an uni sports).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 13 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

Baseball does play 160 games a season for each team, there's plenty of half empty stadiums in games there!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

whocares wrote:6N is ranked 48th in terms of total attendance. Am surprised by baseball total attendance, I knew it was huge but 73 million is like double of the 2nd spot (who is an uni sports).

I like the 6N the way it is. I think as soon as something gets too big that's often the kiss of death for it in my opinion.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

6 Nations may be doing well, but I hate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Writing a letter and strapping it to a pidgeon wasn't broken, but now we can communicate information slightly more efficiently because somebody innovated.

I'd say be careful of overreaching and killing what we have, but we don't have the perfect tournament and if there is an opportunity to improve it it's important we take it, and don't let the tournament stagnate.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 8:53 pm

robbo277 wrote:6 Nations may be doing well, but I hate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Writing a letter and strapping it to a pidgeon wasn't broken, but now we can communicate information slightly more efficiently because somebody innovated.

I'd say be careful of overreaching and killing what we have, but we don't have the perfect tournament and if there is an opportunity to improve it it's important we take it, and don't let the tournament stagnate.

Using your pigeon analogy as a basis, perhaps we should replace human rugby players with more efficient robots for the 6N?! Less injuries, less errors, more accuracy, faster, stronger. It's the future!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 13 Jan 2017, 11:15 pm

Hope it returns to a more consistent quality this year after last years post RWC let down.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 11:42 pm

Poor wum.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 14 Jan 2017, 12:10 am

robbo277 wrote:6 Nations may be doing well, but I hate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Writing a letter and strapping it to a pidgeon wasn't broken, but now we can communicate information slightly more efficiently because somebody innovated.

Is the 6N broken? How is that measured or defined - who says the 6n isn't already perfect? In the absence of criteria to judge how "perfect" the tournament is, how can any change be assessed on whether it will "improve" the tournament or not? The onus is to show change is necessary, so where are the metrics that demand a change be made? The need for bonus points hasn't been proven by anyone, so neither the benefits nor the costs can be analysed in any sort of scientific/economic/sporting way.

Why risk the success of a tournament by introducing changes that could damage it - sometimes it's better to leave the grey squirrels at home.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 14 Jan 2017, 5:14 am

T only change i would make, is stop the break in the tournament.

I know player burn out and all that. But in this day and age ( pro era) it should be different and teams should rotate players more.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 14 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

I don't know if it is the greatest but it is the one that I look forward to the most.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 15 Jan 2017, 1:52 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Yes that's probably true, you need to score tries to make them necessary.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by David-Douglas Sun 15 Jan 2017, 2:09 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:According to average match attendance figures anyway.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/gbrennan/six-nations-has-overtaken-the-football-world-cup-in-one-particular-department/

Southern Hemisphere fans will for now have to remain jealous of the annual tournament they could only dream of for their teams.

Yes, it is the best sports tournament in the world.

Bonus points might testicillo it up though....

David-Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 15 Jan 2017, 2:20 am

David-Douglas wrote:

Yes, it is the best sports tournament in the world.

Bonus points might testicillo it up though....

You'd think with all those people in the stands you wouldn't need so much SH help to play it properly though. The article says we dream of it, yet it seems it can't run properly without us. Hmmm....kind of...embarrassing isn't it? I for one wouldn't be pushing that agenda.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

I wouldn't ever look at attendances to gauge how great a tournament is. I mean there's huge turnouts for any soccer tournament but it's utter gash to watch Smile

Anyway, it's always a very subjective thing and for me personally, the 6 nations is without a doubt the greatest tournament in the world without compare. But hey, that's just me Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:35 am

Taylorman wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Six nations averages more or less the same amount of tries as the rugby championship without bonus points.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:36 am

Pete330v2 wrote:I wouldn't ever look at attendances to gauge how great a tournament is. I mean there's huge turnouts for any soccer tournament but it's utter gash to watch Smile

Anyway, it's always a very subjective thing and for me personally, the 6 nations is without a doubt the greatest tournament in the world without compare. But hey, that's just me Wink

Agree with you there.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

Now, how do the SH get in on this ? Very Happy

Surely they will try and justify how they should get some share of the gate receipts, or advertising money, there must be something. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

lostinwales wrote: I don't know if it is the greatest but it is the one that I look forward to the most.

Well said.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 17 Jan 2017, 8:54 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Six nations averages more or less the same amount of tries as the rugby championship without bonus points.

Yes, thanks to Italy. Big time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:07 am

Don't bother watching if you don't enjoy it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 8:53 pm

Every season or so we get the same comments more or less about the
6 N`s.
Don`t change the format,if ain`t broke don`t fixit etc.especially concerning
bonus points system.
When 4 out of the last five years the result is down to points difference,failing
that is it the number of tries scored .
Why not go the whole hog,ban cards.ban lifting at lineouts,set scrums by
rows,allow players to leave the scrum after the balls heeled.
Ban the TMO,reinstate the Mark and Free kick charged [anywhere],kicking out on the full,
no Subs except for injury with a neutral Doctor to make the decisions.
But for money why have a league system which in theory a team could
end the season 20 or 30 points clear in a club championship.
Then lose it in a play off game,time was in Home championship,5 Ns
whatever teams on level points were deemed to share it.
There was one occasion when 4 teams shared the title france being banned
for professionalism angel

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:26 pm

Is a bonus point such a big deal that it is going to completely change the tournament? A 6-3 game can be just as interesting and exciting as a 55-44 game. Rugby is a game with a lot of traditions - that doesn't make it bad. The game is changing and evolving quite naturally, 'Hollywood' style stunts aren't really necessary.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:29 pm

well its not far of!

Great event. (but I wouldn't base its greatness on popularity globally)

good about the attendance though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

The only change I would make is to start Scotland on 14 points in each match.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 22 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

George Carlin wrote:The only change I would make is to start Scotland on 14 points in each match.

And a "no tackling Russell" clause

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 22 Jan 2017, 12:33 pm

Loosing Nel is a big one for Scotland but I actually think they have a very good team. I certainly do not see them as being walkovers.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:28 am

Eirebilly - are you the poster had a pretty serious accident? and you stopped posting for some time?

nice to see you posting and hopefully doing well..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down