The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goldberg

+7
Dolphin Ziggler
Samo
owen10ozzy
Mr H
Kay Fabe
Crimey
Scott is Back
11 posters

Go down

Goldberg Empty Goldberg

Post by Scott is Back Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:29 pm

Having missed most of Goldberg's original work previously due to a hiatus where i thought i was too grown up for wrestling, only to be dragged back into it when my 8 year old started watching it. I wanted to know what the big deal is, cos at the moment, i dont see what all the fuss of Goldberg is....Is it purely that he used to be brilliant, and its just not really panned out how it would with his return? or am i missing something?

Raw on Monday night was painful to watch, his promo work was appalling (and it has been since his return), he doesnt look like he can move well enough to wrestle properly, and everything around him seems flat (the crowd dont seem to pop like they do for Brock, Undertaker, or even other returning greats HBK, Rock etc)

Roman Reigns gets a lot of stick, but at the moment i think he has a lot more about him than Goldberg has.

Help me, am i missing something, or is he just not very good?

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Goldberg Empty Re: Goldberg

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

Scott is Back wrote:Having missed most of Goldberg's original work previously due to a hiatus where i thought i was too grown up for wrestling, only to be dragged back into it when my 8 year old started watching it. I wanted to know what the big deal is, cos at the moment, i dont see what all the fuss of Goldberg is....Is it purely that he used to be brilliant, and its just not really panned out how it would with his return? or am i missing something?

Raw on Monday night was painful to watch, his promo work was appalling (and it has been since his return), he doesnt look like he can move well enough to wrestle properly, and everything around him seems flat (the crowd dont seem to pop like they do for Brock, Undertaker, or even other returning greats HBK, Rock etc)

Roman Reigns gets a lot of stick, but at the moment i think he has a lot more about him than Goldberg has.

I think what doesn't help is how WWE has underplayed WCW over the years, as almost all of Goldberg's work came in WCW, they haven't really made him the star he was. I'm too young to remember, but the general consensus is that at times he was just as big as The Rock or Steve Austin. 

He's never been a good promo, but I actually think his return promo and a couple of the other promos in the Lesnar feud were pretty good. Short, simple but aggressive and memorable. The promo on Monday was embarrassing, he seemed to be confused and clearly there was too much of a script because he struggled with WWE's corporate speak which to be fair is hard for anybody to master.

He made his career off of the back of less than a minute squash matches, that's what made him popular and it's what he's good at it. He's intense and charismatic (when not speaking) and that's basically his whole thing. Part of the problem with him right now is that he lacks the size he used to have, which means, particularly when put next to Lesnar and The Undertaker who are both massive, he doesn't give off the aura that he is their equal. 

As for a lack of crowd reaction, that probably has to do with age, I am 22 and I never saw Goldberg in his prime, and barely caught his WWE run. As WWE have basically not mentioned him for the past 10 years and he didn't do anything in the gap to get any exposure, like Lesnar with UFC, I'm not surprised that the audiences, many of whom are younger than that are going to be wondering why they should care.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

Crimey wrote:
Scott is Back wrote:Having missed most of Goldberg's original work previously due to a hiatus where i thought i was too grown up for wrestling, only to be dragged back into it when my 8 year old started watching it. I wanted to know what the big deal is, cos at the moment, i dont see what all the fuss of Goldberg is....Is it purely that he used to be brilliant, and its just not really panned out how it would with his return? or am i missing something?

I think what doesn't help is how WWE has underplayed WCW over the years, as almost all of Goldberg's work came in WCW, they haven't really made him the star he was. I'm too young to remember, but the general consensus is that at times he was just as big as The Rock or Steve Austin. 

He's never been a good promo, but I actually think his return promo and a couple of the other promos in the Lesnar feud were pretty good. Short, simple but aggressive and memorable. The promo on Monday was embarrassing, he seemed to be confused and clearly there was too much of a script because he struggled with WWE's corporate speak which to be fair is hard for anybody to master.

He made his career off of the back of less than a minute squash matches, that's what made him popular and it's what he's good at it. He's intense and charismatic (when not speaking) and that's basically his whole thing. Part of the problem with him right now is that he lacks the size he used to have, which means, particularly when put next to Lesnar and The Undertaker who are both massive, he doesn't give off the aura that he is their equal. 

As for a lack of crowd reaction, that probably has to do with age, I am 22 and I never saw Goldberg in his prime, and barely caught his WWE run. As WWE have basically not mentioned him for the past 10 years and he didn't do anything in the gap to get any exposure, like Lesnar with UFC, I'm not surprised that the audiences, many of whom are younger than that are going to be wondering why they should care.

Yea - i sensed that he has had a big past, and its probably might fault in not doing more research on the guy, i just find it so hard to buy into him being Brocks equal, or The Undertaker.

I hope i am proved wrong, and his work becomes enjoyable, but at the minute, i find it hard to not cringe watching him...especially when he has blood trickling down his head! ha

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:40 pm

as someone who watched religiously during his peak, he was WCW's Steve Austin and while its often hard to compare guys as they're usually from different eras, he was their star man at the same time Austin was on top in WWF.

Goldberg was never the greatest talker, he can talk and is comfortable enough to get by but his main asset was always his aura and explosiveness, he was never as talented as Stone Cold, infact I'd say he was more like a very stripped back Ultimate Warrior but he looked, acted and sounded like a legitimate badass, add to that the moveset, Spear and Jackhammer and you've got an almost perfect presentation for how to build a star.

I don't mind the whole forgetting the script so much, he came from a period were he'd get bullet points to him rather than lines to learn, the fact he doesn't it often and the fact he gets himself so pumped up to come out means these things will likely happen, what concerns me is if he can go 15 minutes, I quite liked the way he went over vs Lesnar, it was so unexpected and so unique to see that happen to Brock and I can buy into the reality that a guy with Goldberg's power can beat anyone that fast if he gets a lucky shot early doors, that was good as a one off, I think to have multiple matches and be centre stage of the biggest PPVs of the year he needs to show that he can do more than that, I'd hope he'd be in the performance center regularly building up his stamina and ring rust but he still has the aura, I didn't think he looked out of place on RAW.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 3:17 pm

I doubt Goldberg will have a 15 minute+ match in the WWE. He'll be in the Rumble and if he's in that for a decent amount of time he'll be resting for a while and then I imagine his rematch with Brock will be under 15 minutes. 

I would rather they didn't have him do the script thing, it's stupid and it showed how bad it was when he botched the promo. They should just let him be himself, that's what got him over before Survivor Series. It makes him more refreshing, same thing with Brock, when he does speak he tends to actually be good because he doesn't have a stupid script, he gets to just say whatever. That's despite both of them being notoriously poor on the mic, they both seem better just because they've had the opportunity to not stick to a script.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 25 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm

I’ve been impressed with Goldberg’s return. I don’t think he should be judged on one botched promo. Whilst his cardio is clearly an issue he’s still in incredible shape and like KF says he still has the aura and intensity. Personally i think the original plan probably was for a 1 off match at Survivor Series but after seeing the reactions he got and how over he was they wanted a longer run. I don’t agree that he doesn’t get a good reaction, he’s still super over.

As for the Rumble i think you’d assume he’d enter from about 23 onwards but for me i’d love to see him as the number 1 entrant. It allows the crowd to witness his full entrance. I’d have him standing in the ring and then Brock Lesnar enters as number 2. That would be an epic start to the rumble, have them eliminate each other before the number 3 entrant even enters, then brawl through the crowd all the way to the back.

I can see a tag team match main eventing Fastlane. Something like Reigns and Goldberg vs Owens and Jericho.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 25 Jan 2017, 6:20 pm

If Reigns wins title at rumble their is no way he isn't defending at Fastlane...even if it's just a one off...thinking maybe Jericho accidentally costs Owens...leads to Owens repaying the favour maybe even in a Reigns vs Jericho title match at fast lane...or perhaps they have a triple threat..both provide the foundations for the Owens vs Jericho Mania Match for US Title...meanwhile Reigns heads into Mania against Rumble winner if it's someone from Raw...or just a big big name that they can do quick build with...returning Finn Balor even..

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 25 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

Rumour is Goldberg is booked for Fastlane, so could we see him take the title there and defend it at Mania?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 25 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

Goldberg vs Brock at Mania?! Or are we thinking they have nixed that idea....

Of course they could have Brock win the rumble by eliminating Goldberg....Goldberg then takes title at Fastlane and defends against Brock?

So many ways they could go with it; I'd actually hate to see Goldberg vs Reigns at Mania which is an idea that's been thrown around...don't think they would have a good match and wouldn't do anything for Reigns going over Goldberg in terms of that connection with the fans...it would feel like they are forcing him upon everyone by feeding him a legend.

One things for sure, Rumble has got my attention just to see who wins it as that will make path a little easier to read!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 25 Jan 2017, 7:24 pm

I heard they were cooling on Brock and Goldbergs rematch and want to save it for sometime after Mania. If Goldberg defends the title vs Lesnar and Lesnar wins then Lesnar wins the feud because while he's 2-1 down he won the biggest match of the three and it automatically puts him back on his pedestal.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 25 Jan 2017, 8:27 pm

Could see them putting Goldberg over Strowman.

Brock/Angle baby!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm

I think Brock vs AJ Styles would be an incredible match and give AJ the calibre of match his work deserves. 

I genuinely hope they have cooled on Goldberg/Lesnar, as shocking as the result of the last match was, I'm not actually that interested in watching it again to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 26 Jan 2017, 12:43 am

I would like to see a Brock/Goldberg re-match but not at WrestleMania, I think they could build it properly and save it until Survivor Series

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 26 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

The promo on Monday was so bad because for some reason Goldberg head butted a shelf in his locker room before going out, hence the stream of blood, he knocked himself loopy and scrambled his brain a bit

Goldbergs WWE debut was perfect, night after WM, interrupt the Rock, tell him he's next then spear. People forget his booking was pretty good until he came to facing HHH

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 26 Jan 2017, 10:58 am

And he was still booked dominantly and made to look like a legitimate badass. That spear on Jericho in the EC is still one of my favourite moments.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 26 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

I think losing to HHH in the Chamber killed alot of his momentum. He never had the same air about him after that.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 26 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm

Samo wrote:I think losing to HHH in the Chamber killed alot of his momentum.  He never had the same air about him after that.

He lost that via Sledgehammer, never lost clean once in his year in WWE.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Buss Fri 27 Jan 2017, 8:54 am

Goldberg is very limited, but he can be used effectively, that's just the way it is

The Buss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down