The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Day Thirteen

5 posters

Go down

Australian Open - Day Thirteen Empty Australian Open - Day Thirteen

Post by Henman Bill Fri 27 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

Thread to discuss Venus vs Serena and other matches on day 13.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Day Thirteen Empty Re: Australian Open - Day Thirteen

Post by sirfredperry Fri 27 Jan 2017, 3:56 pm

Media getting excited about the all-Williams final, but they've always been somewhat unexciting affairs. Serena should win and go past the Open-era GS record of 22 slams by Graf. M Court - a great player - managed 24, but some were pre-Open and most were AOs when not everyone travelled Down Under.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 27 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

Yes, that would be quite a good deal. 23 slams. Amazing how much can be achieved with such lonegevity as a key reason.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 27 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

Yes, I'm with sfp as regards how unexciting these contests so often are.

But it's even worse than that for me, so to speak : I've just never found it possible to generate any serious interest in watching two (very friendly) siblings play each other, because it will always lack any & all of the 'edge' that a match between unrelated rivals has.

But yes ... I DO accept that a) they each try to win and take it seriously/competitively, and b) there is quality tennis on show.

They can also be over & done with rather quickly ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 27 Jan 2017, 4:51 pm

Can't help thinking that Serena has now got to a point that she should have reached years ago. For any number of reasons (injury, family matters) she didn't play as much as she should have in her middle-career years.
This has left her fresher, and hungrier, to achieve the sort of overall career record her ability warranted. She should, really, be approaching around 30 GS titles. As it is she has gone on long enough to be in a position to at least break the Graf record.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 27 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

lags72 wrote:Yes, I'm with sfp as regards how unexciting these contests so often are.

But it's even worse than that for me, so to speak : I've just never found it possible to generate any serious interest in watching two (very friendly) siblings play each other, because it will always lack any & all of the 'edge' that a match between unrelated rivals has.

But yes ... I DO accept that a) they each try to win and take it seriously/competitively, and b) there is quality tennis on show.

They can also be over & done with rather quickly ......

I remember watching their French Open 2002 final and thinking it was a cracking match - since then I'd agree that their matches which I have watched have been technically interesting at times, but lacking real edge.  One Venus win since 2009 makes it even more lop-sided than Fedal over the same period.  You just know that it's absolutely on Serena's racquet.

Last edited by barrystar on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : date - it was 2002 not 2003)
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2017, 7:03 pm

Bloody hell, Serena is just something else. Such a fearsome competitor and lets not forget what a superb tennis player she is. Superb athleticism and footwork, best BH in the business, incredible FH, best serve ever, and she can volley.

Even at 35 years old, it's all about her. If she brings her A game she blows them away. Looks like she's gonna add a few more weeks to her number one collection too.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 28 Jan 2017, 7:09 pm

emancipator wrote:Bloody hell, Serena is just something else. Such a fearsome competitor and lets not forget what a superb tennis player she is. Superb athleticism and footwork, best BH in the business, incredible FH, best serve ever, and she can volley.

Even at 35 years old, it's all about her. If she brings her A game she blows them away. Looks like she's gonna add a few more weeks to her number one collection too.

Agreed.

Just on a different level to the other women when she is on her game. Immense. She seems to get stick on forums but I can't work out why.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down