The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The FA cup 16/17

+13
Atila
Hammersmith harrier
NickisBHAFC
GSC
guildfordbat
Dolphin Ziggler
Fernando
Crimey
Jermaine2015
lfc91
Good Golly I'm Olly
Ent
compelling and rich
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The FA cup 16/17 Empty The FA cup 16/17

Post by compelling and rich Sat 28 Jan 2017, 1:20 pm

no thread on this seasons so far so thought id start one, be rude not to gloat a little bit at liverpool laughing

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

The FA cup 16/17 Empty Re: The FA cup 16/17

Post by compelling and rich Sat 28 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

klopp got to take some stick for the team he's put out, i know the first team isnt exactly firing at the moment but its their best chance of a trophy and he's playing kids

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 28 Jan 2017, 1:31 pm

His full team should be out.

They are really missing mane it seems.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

Their defence is just awful. Absolutely woeful whoever they put out

Why they haven't gone and signed Van Dijk and someone who can play left back I dunno
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

Leaving aside the fact we are about to be on the receiving end of another embarrassing result/performance, it really is sad to see kids diving the way woodburn just has. Should have been booked.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

Klopp, much like Guardiola, totally out of their depth when they don't have an array of world class players. Liverpool lucked out early doors this season. They'll be lucked to end the season in 5th place

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

Liverpool just look clueless when trying to score, not even sure what their tactic is

dont buy klopp is out of his depth, liverpool simply cant attract the top tier players. they have to pick up after utd, city, chelsea, arsenal and spurs have finished. thats not to mention other teams abroad like psg hoovering up as many players as they can.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:31 pm

To be fair to Klopp he signed most of those players for Dortmund.

Need mane back to offer that threat in behind and for others form to pick up.

They'll continue to haemorrhage points if they don't tighten up at the back. Bodvarsson beat 3 men from the touch line and had a shot cleared off the line, can't be allowing that sort of thing.

Dive from woodburn was pathetic.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:35 pm

Liverpool aren't capable of signing the top tier players, but as Ranieri showed with clever investments you can unearth world class players for little money e.g. Mahrez and Konte. Whereas Klopp is pretty inept as scouting players. He signed many duds whilst at BVB

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

I don't think that's fair he signed a lot of brilliant players for not a lot whilst at Dortmund - they were young and needed time to develop and the market has changed since then.

Mahrez had a good season but he's playing like a ligue 2 player now.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 Jan 2017, 2:55 pm

Got to remember that Klopp has never ever been in charge of scouting either at Dortmund or at Liverpool. Don't think he can be judged on the quality of signings. Unlike Guardiola, Klopp has proven himself at lots of different levels with Mainz, Dortmund and no Liverpool. I don't buy that he's out of his depth, it's just a poor run of form. He needs to do more though to get us out of this slump.

I thought a left back was a signing desperately needed but James Milner has genuinely been top quality this season. Moreno has been really disappointing when brought in, he was actually gone backwards from his first two years where he was already inconsistent. 

As for going out signing a top class centre back, that is exactly what we did. Joel Matip is top class. I think the defence has looked weakest when Matip isn't there. Lovren and Klavan are obviously a tier below but do generally do quite well when paired with Matip who is very good. Saw somebody on here suggesting that Sakho was an improvement, which is ridiculous. Sakho was good, but incredibly inconsistent, really injury prone and more of a liability than Lovren (bar Lovren's first year where he was genuinely terrible.)

That was a really really disappointing game to watch, so many players are afraid to take risk and to go for it. Wijnaldum is the player that sums it up the most, just not inventive enough, plays easy pass after easy pass and doesn't make good runs. This has to improve, everything was so slow. I was impressed with Woodburn in the second half, dive aside I was really impressed with his positivity and his quality on the ball. He shouldn't be that far out of Klopp's thoughts for a run in the first team, especially with how clear it is that the side lacks pace when Mane isn't there.

The hope now is that the busiest part of the season is over, the league is the only focus and most first team players are fit. Mane is back either next game or the game after as well. After that we should be able to start putting together a run of form again and cement top four. After how well the season started, if the season doesn't end up top four that'd be really disappointing. A win against Chelsea would be a great start...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Liverpool aren't capable of signing the top tier players, but as Ranieri showed with clever investments you can unearth world class players for little money e.g. Mahrez and Konte. Whereas Klopp is pretty inept as scouting players. He signed many duds whilst at BVB

Steve Walsh, pal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 28 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

Crimey wrote:Got to remember that Klopp has never ever been in charge of scouting either at Dortmund or at Liverpool. Don't think he can be judged on the quality of signings. Unlike Guardiola, Klopp has proven himself at lots of different levels with Mainz, Dortmund and no Liverpool. I don't buy that he's out of his depth, it's just a poor run of form. He needs to do more though to get us out of this slump.

I thought a left back was a signing desperately needed but James Milner has genuinely been top quality this season. Moreno has been really disappointing when brought in, he was actually gone backwards from his first two years where he was already inconsistent. 

As for going out signing a top class centre back, that is exactly what we did. Joel Matip is top class. I think the defence has looked weakest when Matip isn't there. Lovren and Klavan are obviously a tier below but do generally do quite well when paired with Matip who is very good. Saw somebody on here suggesting that Sakho was an improvement, which is ridiculous. Sakho was good, but incredibly inconsistent, really injury prone and more of a liability than Lovren (bar Lovren's first year where he was genuinely terrible.)

That was a really really disappointing game to watch, so many players are afraid to take risk and to go for it. Wijnaldum is the player that sums it up the most, just not inventive enough, plays easy pass after easy pass and doesn't make good runs. This has to improve, everything was so slow. I was impressed with Woodburn in the second half, dive aside I was really impressed with his positivity and his quality on the ball. He shouldn't be that far out of Klopp's thoughts for a run in the first team, especially with how clear it is that the side lacks pace when Mane isn't there.

The hope now is that the busiest part of the season is over, the league is the only focus and most first team players are fit. Mane is back either next game or the game after as well. After that we should be able to start putting together a run of form again and cement top four. After how well the season started, if the season doesn't end up top four that'd be really disappointing. A win against Chelsea would be a great start...

You appear to have redefined what top quality and top class mean crimey - they've been good, but not top class or quality.

Liverpool need to get Van Dijk so so badly. He is exactly what they need, would improve them massively
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 28 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

I don't think buying yet another centre back is the solution. Lovren-Matip is a good partnership and I'd rather for once, the club tries to stick to a stable back four and build upon relationships rather than jumping to throwing money at the problem.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 30 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm

Fifth Round Draw - Lots of good ties tbf

Burnley v Lincoln City

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United

Sutton United v Arsenal

Middlesbrough v Oxford United

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Chelsea

Huddersfield Town v Manchester City

Millwall v Derby County/Leicester City

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 30 Jan 2017, 8:16 pm

I'm gonna say I'd be happy to miss all of those

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

Do think that teams like Sutton should be given the option to play away/home in ties against "bigger sides" so to speak. As ticket sales are split, sometimes fully given up by the larger side, for them playing at the Emirates could keep them going for years
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

Fantastic draw for Sutton. Could/should be a very tasty last 8.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:37 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Do think that teams like Sutton should be given the option to play away/home in ties against "bigger sides" so to speak. As ticket sales are split, sometimes fully given up by the larger side, for them playing at the Emirates could keep them going for years

Hi Olly - can't non league teams drawn at home opt to play at their opponents' ground these days? They certainly used to be able to.

Back in the early '90s, Woking - then one league below the Conference - reached the 4th round and were drawn at home to Everton but chose to play at Goodison. The club got a lot of criticism for ''letting down the fans'' but I didn't see it that way. By making the switch, Woking safeguarded their future for the next few years and enabled improvements to be made to both the playing staff and the ground. Add to that, more Woking fans were able to attend the game than had it been been a sell out at home and we all had a wonderful day out. We narrowly lost 1-0 but who is to to say the result would have been different had we not switched the venue.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

Does Tom Ince still get hype?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

GSC wrote:Does Tom Ince still get hype?

Its not 2012
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 8:26 pm

This is a **** game.

Hard to sell the FA Cup as meaningful when a 2nd tier team wont even put out a first XI for a local game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 Feb 2017, 8:42 pm

yeah even championship teams play thier reserves now. pretty much sums up whats wrong with football now. its all about money (championship teams trying to get into the prem, prem teams sole interest of staying in there). they couldnt care less what the fans want

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 9:28 pm

That decision should be the posterchild for using replays.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 9:30 pm

I had completely forgot Vydra played for Derby.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 Feb 2017, 9:33 pm

cant believe he didnt spot the handball, could see it from the tv angle which is further than the refs view.

not for replays though, only have to look at on here half might call one thing other say its not. you will still get difference of opinions with replays. not on that one though

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 9:35 pm

Oh yeah, its only for obvious stuff like that. Like the NFL, it has to be obviously wrong.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Feb 2017, 9:37 pm

Game sparks into life as both sets of teams realise they cant be arsed with another 30.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

compelling and rich wrote:yeah even championship teams play thier reserves now. pretty much sums up whats wrong with football now. its all about money (championship teams trying to get into the prem, prem teams sole interest of staying in there). they couldnt care less what the fans want

To be fair, I really enjoy when Liverpool play an entirely changed side, it gives an opportunity to see different players play and particularly to uncover any hidden gems in the youth side/on the fringes of the squad. Even last season when due to the injury crisis, Ilori and Enrique were starting centre backs was at least entertaining! I know that every cup should be taken seriously, but that doesn't necessarily mean always choosing first team players, giving players who are hungry for a shot in the side the opportunity to make a statement doesn't always mean the competition isn't being taken seriously. Those players have to play sometime.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:00 pm

Surprised that a decent and honourable manager like Dyche continues to tolerate the shameful antics of Barton. Hope the FA take action.

Meanwhile, Lincoln doing themselves and the tournament proud.

All kicking off again as I type ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

go on Lincoln, delighted for them. even more delighted to watch barton get knocked out by them

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:34 pm

Magnificent performance by Lincoln - honestly would've said they were the Prem side and Burnley the non league based on that game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

compelling and rich wrote:go on Lincoln, delighted for them. even more delighted to watch barton get knocked out by them  

Totally agree.

Refreshing as well to have such a strong reminder that it is not only in the Premiership and Champions League that people care about the game. Bet the Lincoln supporters enjoy their journey home just as they deserve to.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:51 pm

Outstanding from Lincoln, even more so, that is this was almost a full strength Burnley team (who have been doing superbly well in the Premiership)

The behaviour by Barton, Flanagan and a few others was disgraceful. Couldn't handle they were getting killed by a non league team, with an overweight striker Laugh

Lincoln to win the FA Cup The FA cup 16/17 3559488474

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Feb 2017, 8:59 am

Crimey wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:yeah even championship teams play thier reserves now. pretty much sums up whats wrong with football now. its all about money (championship teams trying to get into the prem, prem teams sole interest of staying in there). they couldnt care less what the fans want

To be fair, I really enjoy when Liverpool play an entirely changed side, it gives an opportunity to see different players play and particularly to uncover any hidden gems in the youth side/on the fringes of the squad. Even last season when due to the injury crisis, Ilori and Enrique were starting centre backs was at least entertaining! I know that every cup should be taken seriously, but that doesn't necessarily mean always choosing first team players, giving players who are hungry for a shot in the side the opportunity to make a statement doesn't always mean the competition isn't being taken seriously. Those players have to play sometime.

You don't believe that for a second so why bother wasting time typing it out.

The FA cup used to mean something and is another sad sign of the commercialisation of football, growing up you wanted to win it almost as much as the League title and certainly more than any European cup. Teams putting out a raft youngsters is belittling the competition and it's belittling the opposition, the lower teams want the big teams so they can play at Old Trafford against Wayne Rooney or Zlatan Ibrahimovich, not an 18 year old who's never going to break in.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:56 am

The lower league teams want the big teams so they can make the most money, and the fans want the glory.

The FA Cupstill means something to a lot of fans, the main problem is the over analysing every team played which strengthens the myth about it being disrespected. The media have done this; the media say it is being weakened every year which spreads the message that it is. If they just focused on the games then no one would care

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 19 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

FA Cup quarter-final draw:

Chelsea v Manchester United
Middlesbrough v Huddersfield/Manchester City
Tottenham v Millwall
Sutton/Arsenal v Lincoln

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:22 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Crimey wrote:

You don't believe that for a second so why bother wasting time typing it out.

The FA cup used to mean something and is another sad sign of the commercialisation of football, growing up you wanted to win it almost as much as the League title and certainly more than any European cup. Teams putting out a raft youngsters is belittling the competition and it's belittling the opposition, the lower teams want the big teams so they can play at Old Trafford against Wayne Rooney or Zlatan Ibrahimovich, not an 18 year old who's never going to break in.

That's right I forgot you had a link to my inner thoughts.

Of course I believe that, that's why I said it. I actually enjoy seeing Liverpool playing different sides, seeing fringe players or youngsters getting opportunities to play is one of my favourite things in football. Fair enough lower league teams may be disappointed with that, but as a fan of Liverpool, the FA Cup and League Cups are entertaining for that exact reason. I also don't think it necessarily means not taking it seriously, the whole squad should be competitive and capable of beating lower league sides.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 20 Feb 2017, 12:24 am

I like the FA Cup OK

I'm a Man Utd fan, and I was a happy as hell when they won the cup last year. I know it's not as good as winning the title, but I like it when they win something, it's another trophy to add to their history. Finishing top 4 doesn't guarantee anything, it doesn't even guarantee that the top players want to sign for you.

What would you guys prefer? Your team to qualify for the Champs League for the next 5 years even if they never win it or anything else? Or your team to win 3 FA Cups, and a couple of League Cups but not qualify for the Champs League?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 20 Feb 2017, 5:23 pm

crimey did you enjoy seeing your team get knocked out by wolves? cant understand why any fan would like to see weakened teams and less chance of winning a trophy. especially when your not in any other competitions

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 20 Feb 2017, 5:32 pm

compelling and rich wrote:crimey did you enjoy seeing your team get knocked out by wolves? cant understand why any fan would like to see weakened teams and less chance of winning a trophy. especially when your not in any other competitions

No, but should that team have beaten Wolves? Absolutely. That side was not that weak, it had more than enough quality to beat Wolves. There were 8 internationals who played overall. I was not happy to be knocked out of the competition, but the weakened team is just a bad excuse. That side should have beaten Wolves regardless.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:19 pm

but why field a weakened side at all when you not in any other competitions? should be full strength side every game especially considering you had just been knocked out of the league cup.

a back line of moreno, gomez, klaven and randall isnt good enough even against wolves (as it proved). also had the likes of woodburn and ejaria? playing. it was a poor side, and got rightly dumped out. should of won is pointless because you didnt, therefore the team that was put out wasnt good enough

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 20 Feb 2017, 6:41 pm

Another reason to field a full strength side is because the fans who show up and pay their hard earned money deserve to see a full strength side.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:46 pm

Xahka is literally the worst player in the league

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:23 pm

I always enjoy someone misusing literally.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:37 pm

Alexis Sanchez currently making the rest of the Arsenal team look non league
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:44 pm

Arsenal should play Sutton FC all the time, they look good at this level Wink

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 Feb 2017, 10:08 pm

Sutton actually didn't do too badly - should've had a goal
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 20 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

Arsenal had it well in hand though. Never got out of 2nd gear
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:04 am

Crimey wrote:That's right I forgot you had a link to my inner thoughts.

Of course I believe that, that's why I said it. I actually enjoy seeing Liverpool playing different sides, seeing fringe players or youngsters getting opportunities to play is one of my favourite things in football. Fair enough lower league teams may be disappointed with that, but as a fan of Liverpool, the FA Cup and League Cups are entertaining for that exact reason. I also don't think it necessarily means not taking it seriously, the whole squad should be competitive and capable of beating lower league sides.

I do however know that you'll say anything and everything to defend Liverpool against any sort of criticism, you don't believe what you're saying at all and I doubt you ever really do.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum