The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14)

5 posters

Go down

Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14) Empty Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14)

Post by sirfredperry Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Thought I would start a new topic so people don't have to add on to the AO Day 14 thread. Now the dust has settled, we can reflect on a remarkable AO. Don't suppose anyone would have predicted that EITHER Rafa or Rog would get much beyond the q-finals, while a Wlliams final in the women's looked equally fanciful.
Some years the AO had told us little about the rest of the year. 2008-10, 2012 and 2014 were years when the AO winner did not win another slam that year. Of course, it could well be that 2017 follows that pattern. In any event, this now promises to be a very exciting year, with - seemingly - the Big Four very much in business as a strong quartet again. Djoko will undoubtedly be back, but will he be so dominant ? Murray is pretty much guaranteed a good run at number one, but after June - who knows?
Let's hope Rog and Rafa can steer clear of injury because you've only had to be around the last couple of weeks to see how much excitement and interest WORLDWIDE they bring. Dimi will, I think, have a good year. The younger Zverev could do well, too. Good Lord, we could even have the Big Four occupying the top 4 spots come November.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14) Empty Re: Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14)

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Can I be a doom-monger here? What a backward step it was. Not another Rafa V Roger final again? Had to say it as no doubt the same rhetoric would have been heard if Novak had played Andy in the final with more talk like where are the younger generation etc etc etc.

Take this as a tongue-in-cheek post by the way. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14) Empty Re: Post Australian Open 2017 Reflections (following on from Topic Day 14)

Post by kemet Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Well as far as the younger generation is concerned, I am going to follow the fortunes of Dmitrov and Zverev closely to see how they fare. Dmitrov, in particular, should take many positives from the recently concluded Aussie Open as he was one good return away from serving for a spot in the championship match. His level of play in that match was quite high. As for Zverev, he played a great match against Rafa and it took all of Rafa's experience and court craft to deny him victory.

As for Djokovic, I hope he gets himself sorted out soon so that he can be challenging for majors again. I am not too concerned about Murray. This could turn out to be a blip as he progresses. For Roger and Rafa, I expect the latter to have a solid clay court season and a reasonable Wimbledon and US Open. With Roger, it may be best for him to view these tournaments as a way to maintain his ranking with some strategic tournament skips along the way. I expect him to have another decent run at Wimbledon and the US Open.

With folks like Stan, Raonic et al: who knows...

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 pm

I too will be keen to watch Dimitrov. I am satisfied that his SF performance was the best and most focused I have ever seen from him and it augurs well. (I certainly don't go along with one post somewhere opining that it just marked a return to 2014 level, and no more)

Even Dimitrov's post-match presser showed a very composed, astute  and clear-thinking mind (although .... as Andy Roddick once quipped sardonically, in the wake of another heavy defeat at the hands of Federer : "Yeah...if there were rankings for press conferences, I'd be right up there, wouldn't I ......"

And Zverev will hopefully start to show that he IS the real deal - whatever that may mean ..... !!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Dimi's s-f defeat to Rafa reminded me a bit of the terrific, although ultimately losing, match Andy M gave Nadal at the AO early on in the Scot's career. It showed Andy he could compete with the big boys.
Stan the Man, albeit at a much later stage of his career, also went toe to toe with Djoko in a losing cause at Melbourne before outlasting him later and going on to win the first of his three Slams.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:55 pm

[quote="CaledonianCraig"]Can I be a doom-monger here? What a backward step it was. Not another Rafa V Roger final again? Had to say it as no doubt the same rhetoric would have been heard if Novak had played Andy in the final with more talk like where are the younger generation etc etc etc.

Take this as a tongue-in-cheek post by the way. Wink [/quote]

Haha, but you have to admit the fanfare and interest the Fedal final created is good for the sport. And the final lived up to the billing. The number of sporting legends tweeting about the final just shows what a huge event it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Oh, what happened there Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 pm

I thought that Dimitrov played a very high quality and emotionally mature match against Nadal.  I'd really love to see him step up to the next level and bag a slam this year. He should start by showing similar quality in Masters and 500 Series - I really think he might.

Otherwise Navratilova's comment is truer than it's been for some time in relation to the top players - it's not how good your best is, but how good your worst is.

Fedal achieved almost unprecedented consistency, and so has Djoko since 2011. Murray has been impressive, but noticably a rung below them. The Big 4 is still are a cut above, but expectations of similar consistency in the future to that achieved in the past are unrealistic - I think there's an awful lot in Lydian's view that 850+ matches on the clock is usually a signal for decline.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 am

Good to see that all the big boys will be back in action at various tournaments this month. Djoko is even playing DC today, Rafa is in Rotterdam, Fed at Dubai, while del Potty returns at Delray Beach (del Po Beach?).
Seeding could be completely different in a few weeks' time, although Murray, at least, will be secure at the top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

One random thought that came to mind the other day ..... not specifically concerning on-court matters, but loosely related to reflections post-AO as per thread title.

However highly they might think of him, even Federer's most loyal sponsors might have been wondering (during the long injury layoff and before his Melbourne exploits) whether his aura & profile were about to fade. But if any of his endorsement contracts are due to expire ..... I doubt his agent will have any trouble securing renewals.

All those twins will not be short of pocket money.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down