The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

+73
XR
Engine#4
DaveM
Pot Hale
wolfball
gavstar
Rugby Fan
Recwatcher16
tatterd
Exiledinborders
Poorfour
Geordie
Shifty
Geen sport voor watjes
True Raven
aucklandlaurie
JDizzle
Heaf
tigertattie
doctor_grey
lostinwales
nathan
poissonrouge
EWT Spoons
Ninjarugby
robbo277
wayne
TalkGonzo
Maine man
geoff999rugby
Rory_Gallagher
overlordofthewest
BamBam
Sin é
Golden
Rugbyjk
the-goon
thebandwagonsociety
Winzer
RDW
Sgt_Pooly
munkian
marty2086
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
The Great Aukster
Mad for Chelsea
TightHEAD
maestegmafia
eirebilly
Gooseberry
GunsGermsV2
international198
Scottrf
Pete330v2
westisbest
RiscaGame
exile jack
Gwlad
profitius
rodders
captain carrantuohil
fa0019
RuggerRadge2611
majesticimperialman
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
mikey_dragon
carpet baboon
PredictorofTeams
Tattie Scones RRN
rapidsnowman
George Carlin
77 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Empty 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by George Carlin Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Wales_10 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Irelan10
WALES v IRELAND
10 March 2017
KO: 20:05 GMT
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [ITV, RTE, SC4, FR2, DMAX / BBC (H)]

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

124 Played 124
50 Won 67
7 Drawn 7
67 Lost 50
1,477 Points 1,381

B. Recent Form

7 February 2016
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
16 – 16 draw

29 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
10 – 16 to Wales

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

5 February 2012
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
21 – 23 to Wales

8 October 2011
Regional Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
22 – 10 to Wales

C. Teams

WALES 
 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Dragon10

Halfpenny; North, J Davies, S Williams, L Williams, Biggar, Webb, Evans, Owens, Francis, Ball, A Jones, Warburton, Tipuric, Moriarty.

Replacements: Roberts for S Williams (67), S Davies for Biggar (80), G Davies for Webb (67), Smith for Evans (67), Baldwin for Owens (72), Lee for Francis (70), Charteris for Ball (63), Faletau for Moriarty (67).

IRELAND
 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Irish_10

Kearney; Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo; Sexton, Murray; McGrath, Best, Furlong, D Ryan, Toner, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

Replacements: Bowe for Kearney (70), Jackson for Sexton (19), Marmion for Murray (46), C Healy for McGrath (59), Scannell for Best (80), J Ryan for Furlong (80), Henderson for Toner (63), O'Mahony for Stander (63).

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by TightHEAD Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 pm

It was a good game but not a classic.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March - Page 13 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Wales v Ireland, 10 March

Post by Guest Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Good game of Rugby. I actually thought the Welsh defensive effort was better in the England game. I felt England posed a bigger threat than Ireland did and- despite England breaching the defence through Youngs- Wales still did 'more' in that game than they did last night. Splitting hairs perhaps, as it was still a very good defensive showing. The sustained pressure that resulted in Liam Williams giving away the penalty, and then finally ending with Henshaw's infringement (I think?) was incredibly reminiscent of all those phases 2 years ago, even in the way Liam Williams gave the penalty away at the breakdown! Shaun Edwards is getting some credit back in the bank with the Welsh defence this season, they're looking a bit savvier than they were 18 months/2 years ago, it's not just greater commitment.

Standouts for Wales were Warburton and Tipuric. Incredible defensive effort. Warburton hammered Stander twice in the tackle, which is no mean feat. We'll see whether I'm vindicated in maintaining he's still likely to be Lions captain, but he's almost certainly in the 23, and perhaps it's between Tipuric, Warburton, and Stander to make up the 6, 7, and 20 shirts. Unfortunately for Tipuric- because I seem to remember him getting through more tackles than Warburton (?)- he probably loses out under Gatland because he's not quite as dominant as Warburton. But what a game from both of them. Unfortunate that neither had any real effect at poaching the ball, but it clearly wasn't that sort of game, and a very un-Barnes kind of interpretation at the breakdown, allowing the attacking side a lot of time to recycle the ball, letting the game flow (consistent for both sides, so fair enough).

I don't think Ireland can be too upset. We saw the two most structured teams in the tournament go head to head, and Wales played with a bit more fire in them. That was enough to win. Ireland showed Biggar's limitations as a first receiver, which is the first time in a long time he's been really exploited at Test level, but even that wasn't enough.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread 'what do fans think about Zebo and Earls?', and I think that was a key difference. There were a few occasions where Ireland had Wales on the rack, and a loose kick would go to Ireland's back field, or the ball went into the wide channel. There is a big, big difference between Liam Williams or North managing to break a tackle and make an extra 5-10 yards through their footwork and strength respectively, and Earls, Zebo, and Kearney not able to do likewise. That has a cumulative effect in my opinion, particularly the way Ireland play, which- like Wales- is often death by a thousand cuts, keeping up pressure, hoping the opposition eventually cracks. Zebo has more to him than Earls, but he rarely seems to deliver it in an Irish shirt.

Very happy with the Welsh scrum, thought they might struggle. Ireland should be worried for England to be honest. Likewise in the lineout. Best wobbled against Scotland, and again against Wales, with his throwing. In my opinion, he's now on the brink of being out of Lions contention barring injury. He's some player, but- again with those fine margins- the ease with which Wales stole 3 of his throws is anathema to Gatland, particularly when you have Toner as a jumper. He might go because of who he is as a person and a player, but I don't think he's in the frame for the Tests. I actually think Ken Owens stands a decent chance of making the Tour as third choice to be honest, he's playing like a man possessed and finally translating his clear ability to the Test arena, and is hitting his jumpers.

However, this game could have been very different. Roberts may get some praise, but I'm not sure he 'deserves' it. It wasn't his tackle that made Ireland cough up possession in what could have been the winning score, it was merely an overran inside line by Earls (?). Likewise, Faletau's pressure led to his try. Fine margins indeed: I'm not sure whether the maul would have gone over without Henshaw's intervention to be honest, perhaps it would have. However, I though PoM's pressure on the Welsh line was the turning point that meant Ireland would finally break Wales and get the score. He's been unlucky with injury, as he's some player. Anyway, that's the moment where you want a game changer- someone like North, or Liam Williams- who has that extra burst of pace or trickery in them to get over the line. Ringrose may well be one for the future, but I don't think Ireland's midfield looked up to scratch to be honest. Certainly a lot of potential, and this experience will be an excellent opportunity to learn, but yesterday, he and Henshaw weren't quite at the level of JD2 and Scott Williams.

I think Murray going off was a big blow for you. So much goes through him, and whilst Marmion has good delivery, he offers no real threat, and it helped Wales line up Irish ball carriers. Sexton and Murray took a battering, and whilst I don't think they were 'targeted' per se, it was good work by Wales to take out Ireland's two most important players by physically hammering them. On the Lions topic, again, that has to be a worry: NZ will do likewise, push them to an intensity that unsettles them, and make them tackle and cover and tire them out so they're not able to get into their stride. That said, Sexton stood up pretty well, though I thought his up and unders were quite mixed. When they were good, they were very good, but there were a few that were well off.  

I can't see Ireland beating England if I'm honest, it would have to be a performance akin to Wales's yesterday where they're up for the whole 80 minutes, aware that their Lions positions are up for grabs. It's possible, but England have those 'fine margin' players in Daly, Nowell etc. that Ireland perhaps lack. They also have the physical prowess to unsettle Ireland, both in attack and defence, and of course in the scrum. The way to beat them- as Wales very nearly did- is to be technically better than them, particularly at the breakdown. Be cleaner than clean when defending, and accept England will probably score at some point. But if you're able to exert pressure of your own, then England will concede penalties. They're not as savvy as Wales or Ireland in this regard, in part because they don't have to be. Ireland were unlucky that their aerial work didn't result in points against Wales, as several times it very nearly did lead to a clean break of even a try. This is something to again look to, play to your strengths, but beware of the counter attack.

I hope Wales go on and beat France, I see no reason why they shouldn't as it's probably the most structured team against the least. If you let them get up to speed, they'll be a threat, but they look very poor at the transition stages, things like exits, restarts, what to do with slow ball etc. England played in third gear and beat them precisely because France were poor in these areas. It's where Wales have targeted them in the last few years, and have managed to get enough dominance to win. I hope this is the game Scott Williams gets some space to run in, he's looked very good in the narrow channels so far, solid in everything he's done, with the England game in particular being a stand out, but he hasn't shone in attack as he hasn't been allowed to. Getting him into the game as a pivot between Webb and the outside backs- a lot like North's first try yesterday, in fact- is the way forward for Wales. I don't think this is the game for Sam Davies unfortunately, I felt that was yesterday had Wales not been so under the cosh, as it was crying out for a first receiver able to adapt to Ireland's rush defence. But Biggar's doing well, and I think they need his solidity in a game that- if it opens up- could see Wales undo all their good work. Hopefully he gets on at some stage though, with the game having been won!

Enjoyed last night a lot. Imagine Irish fans will, quite rightly, disagree as they lost, but Friday night rugby is a great start to the weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Earls was probably the only player for Ireland who caused any sort of trouble for Wales.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 pm

A lot has already been said. I felt it was a good game, but not sure it was a classic, a few too many errors from either side for that (quite a lot of Irish knock-ons, and Halfpenny's struggles under the high ball for instance). Still, it was tense, and hung into the balance right up to Roberts's try.

Ireland looked rather toothless in attack. The one-pass-out-and-carry approach too predictable against a fired up aggressive defense.

My feeling is this. Leinster coached by Schmidt played some attacking expansive rugby, so it's not something he can't do. Maybe he thinks defenses are better at international level and space less available, so the best way to win is to make as few mistakes as possible, and the style of play he's developped reflects that. Certainly his sides' discipline is terrific.

Another point perhaps worth making. Ireland vs Scotland with Jackson at the helm scored three tries; vs France and Wales with Sexton at the helm have scored a single try across both games (I'll ignore Italy). Now Scotland may not be renowned for their defense, but with just two tries conceded vs Wales and France combined they've not exactly been porous. So does Jackson make the Irish attack more dangerous?

Wales were overall very good, except for the aerial game (Halfpenny especially, one great take from Biggar notwithstanding). Their intensity was a massive step up from the Scotland game, and they scored two very nice tries. Webb dictated play very well indeed, and on this form should be on the plane for the Lions. Thought his wide pass for the first try (after a good support line off the initial break) was terrific in awareness and execution. Nice spot also for the second try.

Warburton seems to have really benefitted from losing the captaincy, it's made him step up. His carrying is underrated (seems to often make yards in traffic) and his breakdown work top notch.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 am

Conor Murray should have been taken off after that arm injury. You could see his passing had become so weak which wasn't his fault. It shows the reluctance of Schmidt to trust the backup players.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:39 am

miaow wrote:....

I can't see Ireland beating England if I'm honest, it would have to be a performance akin to Wales's yesterday where they're up for the whole 80 minutes, aware that their Lions positions are up for grabs. It's possible, but England have those 'fine margin' players in Daly, Nowell etc. that Ireland perhaps lack. They also have the physical prowess to unsettle Ireland, both in attack and defence, and of course in the scrum. The way to beat them- as Wales very nearly did- is to be technically better than them, particularly at the breakdown. Be cleaner than clean when defending, and accept England will probably score at some point. But if you're able to exert pressure of your own, then England will concede penalties. They're not as savvy as Wales or Ireland in this regard, in part because they don't have to be. Ireland were unlucky that their aerial work didn't result in points against Wales, as several times it very nearly did lead to a clean break of even a try. This is something to again look to, play to your strengths, but beware of the counter attack. ....
Lots of good stuff in this article and its not really the place but forgive me for picking up on this. England are a bit inconsistent with discipline, and can go through spells of coughing up penalties (especially early on in the games to date) but they can on occasion be extremely disciplined, as Wales found to their cost

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:48 am

3 tries to nothing. Wales fully deserved their win, as many Irish fans thought they would pre-tournament and pregame. The usual business of plenty of territory and possession and no end product. POM should have started. SOB has never been effective against Wales.

Bowe on the bench was a bad joke. Zebo and Earls are finishers but we may as well be playing McFadden and D. Kearney if we aren't going to give them the ball in the opposition 22. Better yet stick a few flankers on the wings.

Still think we'll beat England. Very Happy

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:35 am

[quote="Pot Hale"]Congrats Wales - well deserved victory.

Hope Wayne, Griff, etc enjoyed a few on that one.

[/quote

Yes I enjoyed that PH, and thanks for the gracious response, I'm going to make replies to a number of points. Miaow have to agree with your condemnation of supposed Welsh followers who wanted us to lose not only this game but others pre tournament in order for Howley and Co to be shown the door. I'm not a big Howley fan and think we could do a lot better, yet I wouldn't want Wales to lose any game.

Miaow as far as this game is concerned, have to agree with you the best 2 players were our 2 flankers, yet that is where the conundrum sets in, if we want to play an expansive game and I can see that we are trying, those 2 have to be playing, and Sam Davies is the logical choice in the ten shirt, but and it is a BIG BUT, he will be targeted remorselessly and his defence IMO is not strong enough at Guinness League level never mind the step up to the International stage, there is nothing wrong with his technique or bottle. He still also makes fundamental errors as he showed last week, (ball passed back into 22 and he kicks straight to touch, also Duncan Weir chipped over the first stage of defence which Sam was covering on 2 occasions and he coughed up the ball both times), to me the right procedure is being followed, Sam will have plenty of opportunities.

The player that frightened me last night was Gareth Davies, he was like a rabbit in the headlights, and Dan had a right go at him on one occasion, he needs to go back to the Scarlets and replaced by either of his teammates, have to say it was good to have George back on the right track, and have the defence we are normally used to.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 am

Just be glad you don't still have to face England.

Ah.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Great to see the Welsh backrow making Ireland's look anonymous again - reminded me of the 2011 word cup game. They completely failed to protect their halfbacks.

Toner was a passenger again - hes only there as he's tall enough to occasionally catch Best's awful lineout throws.

Glad to see our scrum on the mend too. Owens is a Lion for me, best Hooker in the NH all tournament.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Jamie Heaslip is up there with BOD as one of Ireland's greatest centres...Shame he's a number 8. He spends so much time hanging around in the 15m channels I was beginning to wonder if he'd had a late career position change. It's cringeworthy stuff.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 pm

gcBlues wrote:Jamie Heaslip is up there with BOD as one of Ireland's greatest centres...Shame he's a number 8.  He spends so much time hanging around in the 15m channels I was beginning to wonder if he'd had a late career position change.  It's cringeworthy stuff.

Poor man's Croft. Lets hope Gatland's love affair with him is over.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Paid my losses to my Welsh colleagues, will have to work a Sunday now to catch up.

As sad as I am that Ireland lost, happy that Schmidt has again been found wanting selection and tactic wise.

Feel sorry for you Welsh lads though as that is Howley sorted for another 5 years...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Well played Wales; I have to start with that because you were excellent in all departments. A real return to form by a number of key individuals, who mostly shaded their opposite numbers on the night.

As far as ireland are concerned, it was so frustrating to see basic errors cost us any chance of hauling ourselves back into the game. The Henshaw business was the most glaring one but we've really got to sort out our line-out drills, for example, near the opposition line, and look for far more variety in general in our back play. Bludgeon plus rapier would be nice - I've never see the sense in trying to take Wales on in a fashion that suits them down to the ground and that has now been exposed for the past three years.

The back three is still what worries me more than anything; there was clear daylight between Williams, halfpenny and North and their opposite numbers on Friday. We need more than an aerial catcher at 15; Kearney adds so little in attack and his tackling isn't good enough to compensate for this. Earls also has his defensive problems, although he was good and elusive the other evening. Given more opportunity, he could have been a serious handful. Zebo is still a complete enigma - a Ferrari with a faulty chassis, if you ask me, and I'd like to see the law laid down to him properly about what's expected. Has provided so little threat to the better defences and the time must be approaching when one of Byrne, Sweetnam or Stockdale are given the chance to show their pace and abilty at the highest level.

Generally, I still have faith in most of our personnel. I would like to say the same about our willingness to be tactically and strategically flexible. These are the same issues about which Welsh fans have had their complaints in recent years - in that sense, we played right into Welsh hands on Friday.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 pm

The Irish back 3 were an embarrassment to the green shirt on Friday. Halfpenny is still off form but still miles ahead of Zebo and Kearney.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 pm

I have to say though, what has happened to Wales' aerial game? Liam Williams, Halfpenny and Biggar used to be phenomenal under the high ball. I'd always be confident of winning the majority of the high balls because they usually did. But now we seem to be losing most of them. Not sure if they've lost a bit of confidence or other teams have improved, but the 50/50s are just not going our way.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:Feel sorry for you Welsh lads though as that is Howley sorted for another 5 years...

An unfair target of the rugby public, in my opinion.  He's not gonna do crazy selections, drop loads of players, change the way wales play etc...what would be the point?  To show he can do the job full time?  Come August, Gatland is (supposedly) back so will take charge again and want to play the way he does, if howley had made any drastic changes they would just be stopped and revert back to how gatland wants to play.  He's in a no win situation because Roger Lewis has given Gatland so much power/say that it's impossible to do anything differently without his approval.

Gatlands contract (like rob's) runs until after the WC in 2019 and by that time I would hope the WRU realise that the coaching staff need a complete overhaul and RH is likely not to be kept on.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Griff wrote:I have to say though, what has happened to Wales' aerial game?  Liam Williams, Halfpenny and Biggar used to be phenomenal under the high ball.  I'd always be confident of winning the majority of the high balls because they usually did.  But now we seem to be losing most of them.  Not sure if they've lost a bit of confidence or other teams have improved, but the 50/50s are just not going our way.

Yeah, that was a negative, used to be one of our main strengths.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 pm

munkian wrote:The Irish back 3 were an embarrassment to the green shirt on Friday. Halfpenny is still off form but still miles ahead of Zebo and Kearney.

A straight talking Welsh man? Well I never................... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Bitterly disappointing result for Ireland but there has been a ridiculous overreaction.

If Wayne Barnes wasn't a one eyed crook and if Robbie Henshaw knew the rules around the maul Ireland would likely have won.

No shame losing to Wales in Cardiff. They were always better than their recent results suggested.

Jonny Sexton is done though, he's like a fighter who's punch resistance has gone, almost every slight knock is requiring treatment or HIA so he needs to think about his health.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Barnes gave Ireland 90% of the penalties Rolling Eyes

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm

gcBlues wrote:  Come August, Gatland is (supposedly) back .

Now, now Whistle   Gatland was back.  I think he must have given a friendly few pointers considering he spent a week in Ireland training camp a few weeks back and had that lovely big ("it wasn't me!") smile on his face at the end.  Oh I scent complicity from yon 'Neutral' Lions Coach Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah, I'm no Barnes fan generally, but couldn't argue too much with what he did on Friday. Bit harsh yellow carding a bloke who couldn't physically get away from that ruck, but it's always likely to happen when the action is that close to the try line.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 pm

rodders wrote:Bitterly disappointing result for Ireland but there has been a ridiculous overreaction.

So same team for next week?  

The scurry, dip and hit-the-dirt razor sharp backs and the punch-drunk forwards + one very tall man.  

"Stir vigorously until they all lose their mental marbles and then pour onto a bloody field".  (That was Gatland's tactics for the Welsh anyway, and boy did it work )

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Scottrf wrote:Barnes gave Ireland 90% of the penalties Rolling Eyes

And 100% of the yellow cards....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 pm

rodders wrote:

And 100% of the yellow cards....
Gotta watch where you roll near the try line. Hardly an extraordinary yellow.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 pm

...and yet they say he never gives them anything Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Yeah, I'm no Barnes fan generally, but couldn't argue too much with what he did on Friday. Bit harsh yellow carding a bloke who couldn't physically get away from that ruck, but it's always likely to happen when the action is that close to the try line.

It's actually one of my biggest bug bears, when you see a player penalized when he has about 4 forwards lying on him. Felt for Sexton there, and have been annoyed previously when Wales have been pinged for the same. Virtually impossible to get out of there in that situation. And the attacking team knows it. If the support runners can get there very quickly then they can pin the man in and no amount of wriggling will help him.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

He even apologised to Best for not being able to award the try for an Irish infringement.

Why should a referee have to apologise for doing his job ? It was ridiculous.

The Irish media need a long hard look at themselves.

*Edit*

Sexwee knew what he was doing, no attempt what so ever to roll away, yellow card every time.

Last edited by munkian on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Griff wrote:
captain carrantuohil wrote:Yeah, I'm no Barnes fan generally, but couldn't argue too much with what he did on Friday. Bit harsh yellow carding a bloke who couldn't physically get away from that ruck, but it's always likely to happen when the action is that close to the try line.

It's actually one of my biggest bug bears, when you see a player penalized when he has about 4 forwards lying on him.  Felt for Sexton there, and have been annoyed previously when Wales have been pinged for the same.  Virtually impossible to get out of there in that situation.  And the attacking team knows it.  If the support runners can get there very quickly then they can pin the man in and no amount of wriggling will help him.

The daft thing about pinning players in is that unless the referee falls for it, all you've done is slowed your own ball down.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh please say we're not going to talk about another card for a week? picard

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 pm

munkian wrote:He even apologised to Best for not being able to award the try for an Irish infringement.

He was being blamed for the loss long before the game started. Poor form.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Scottrf wrote:
munkian wrote:He even apologised to Best for not being able to award the try for an Irish infringement.

Yupp, shocking stuff.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:48 pm

I do hope Eddie gets the chance to watch Wales train during the 6Ns next year. Its only right that the treat should be reciprocated.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Anyone can turn up to open training sessions if they want.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:I do hope Eddie gets the chance to watch Wales train during the 6Ns next year. Its only right that the treat should be reciprocated.

You'll actually play NZ before that happens
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Scottrf wrote:

Best to get the blame-game out of the way before the game. That allowed Wayne to enjoy the game itself. I think the Irish were being very nice to him. And we add another non-win to our record under him. So we're all happy Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm

No he didn't but always good to pluck made up stats out of thin air Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 pm

*Edit*

Sexwee knew what he was doing, no attempt what so ever to roll away, yellow card every time.

How can you roll away when the tackled player lies on top of you?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Doesn't matter if he was trapped or not but he was rolled or rolled deliberately the wrong way.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 pm

marty2086 wrote:

No he didn't but always good to pluck made up stats out of thin air Rolling Eyes
OK, 71%. Hardly seems like bias in Wales' favour though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm

marty2086 wrote:

You had 4 pens to our 11., pretty much gave you the game and you still showed less guts than a Crohn's patient.

Last edited by munkian on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 pm

marty2086 wrote:

*Edit*

You can't. But you have to shake, rattle and roll, and hold your hands out, and wiggle your toes, and stick out your tongue to make sure the ref believes that 'you are trying'. He knows you can't but the rule book says you gotta look like an eejit and 'try'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 pm

I wish we could just forget about Barnes - he wasn't the reason we lost, we were. So Barnes is a schoolmasterly type who enjoys the authority he wields. Big deal.

We wasted all our opportunities, it's that simple. Henshaw had no business anywhere near that bloody maul; the try was going to be scored without his intervention and it was the correct decision to penalise him, unfortunately. As I say, Jonny was unlucky to go off, but that's the way it goes. We weren't good enough and I expect a serious reaction in Dublin on Saturday. I'm sure the players won't be making excuses; they'll be looking to make England suffer a backlash and quite right, too.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:00 pm

SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

*Edit*

You can't.  But you have to shake, rattle and roll, and hold your hands out, and wiggle your toes, and stick out your tongue to make sure the ref believes that 'you are trying'.  He knows you can't but the rule book says you gotta look like an eejit and 'try'.

Not wrapping yourself around the ball carrier and rolling with him will work too.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:00 pm

munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

You had 4 pens to our 11., pretty much gave you the game and you still showed less guts than a Crohn's patient.

Nope, wrong again

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote: I wish we could just forget about Barnes - he wasn't the reason we lost, we were. So Barnes is a schoolmasterly type who enjoys the authority he wields. Big deal.

We wasted all our opportunities, it's that simple. Henshaw had no business anywhere near that bloody maul; the try was going to be scored without his intervention and it was the correct decision to penalise him, unfortunately. As I say, Jonny was unlucky to go off, but that's the way it goes. We weren't good enough and I expect a serious reaction in Dublin on Saturday. I'm sure the players won't be making excuses; they'll be looking to make England suffer a backlash and quite right, too.

OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 pm

munkian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

*Edit*

You can't.  But you have to shake, rattle and roll, and hold your hands out, and wiggle your toes, and stick out your tongue to make sure the ref believes that 'you are trying'.  He knows you can't but the rule book says you gotta look like an eejit and 'try'.

Not wrapping yourself around the ball carrier and rolling with him will work too.

So roll away but don't roll? Shocked

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 pm

marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Nope, wrong again

Unless it was less than twice the amount we had then Im getting out the tiny violin.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm

SecretFly wrote:
captain carrantuohil wrote: I wish we could just forget about Barnes - he wasn't the reason we lost, we were. So Barnes is a schoolmasterly type who enjoys the authority he wields. Big deal.

OK

To be fair, we were good enough but not great that's the frustrating bit. Despite being capable of so much more we could have should have got more from the game but ultimately poor execution cost us

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next