The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Court Jester speaks out again...

+20
munkian
R!skysports
majesticimperialman
Gwlad
yappysnap
wayne
TightHEAD
SecretFly
Gooseberry
robbo277
funnyExiledScot
aucklandlaurie
Geordie
Cyril
mikey_dragon
BamBam
RuggerRadge2611
Scottrf
No 7&1/2
No9
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Court Jester speaks out again... Empty The Court Jester speaks out again...

Post by No9 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39347452

BBC wrote:Eddie Jones says the British and Irish Lions should name four captains for the tour of New Zealand - one from each of their four national teams.

Well thank the Lord that Eddie isn't the Lions coach.

What a really stupid thing to say, showing he has no clue at all to the Lions and what will make them into a team.

The toughest thing the Lions captain has to achieve, is getting all players to pull together as Lions, and not England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland. Having 4 Captains, each the home nation captain, straight away creates cliques, and although he said you then swap the captain later in the tour depending on who's starting, at what time do you get the players to pull together and not simply form allegiances to their national captain.

Wow.. He may have delivered 2 consequtive titles for England, but he needs to learn how to put his brain in gear before putting his mouth into action. Bet the RFU are torn. One part regretting it every time he opens his mouth, the other well we have won some silverware....

No9

Back to top Go down

The Court Jester speaks out again... Empty Re: The Court Jester speaks out again...

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:51 pm

It's a pretty similar approach to the one he has for England ie a group of recognised leaders but yes does risk cliques.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

The Court Jester speaks out again... Empty Re: The Court Jester speaks out again...

Post by Scottrf Wed 22 Mar 2017, 1:59 pm

No9 wrote:Bet the RFU are torn. One part regretting it every time he opens his mouth, the other well we have won some silverware....

Really? I'd imagine you care about this roughly 100 times more than anyone there does.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:06 pm

I still say pick a tour captain, with the caveat of you are going to be the leader of this group of players, even if you don't start the tests.

It's the only way to make sure that the best get picked to play without being forced to play a captain.

I still think someone like POM, Laidlaw or AWJ would fit this bill very well, and I don't think any of those men would let pride get in the way of sitting the tests out if players perform better on the tour.

Nobody much has been talking about Peter O’Mahony or Greig Laidlaw as key Lions in New Zealand but they could both be in my squad. No one has played with more savage passion this season than Munster’s O’Mahony; few are more tactically savvy during a game than Laidlaw. Neither individual would regard midweek Lions fixtures in Hamilton or Dunedin as anything other than an honour and privilege.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I still say pick a tour captain, with the caveat of you are going to be the leader of this group of players, even if you don't start the tests.

It's the only way to make sure that the best get picked to play without being forced to play a captain.

I still think someone like POM, Laidlaw or AWJ would fit this bill very well, and I don't think any of those men would let pride get in the way of sitting the tests out if players perform better on the tour.

Nobody much has been talking about Peter O’Mahony or Greig Laidlaw as key Lions in New Zealand but they could both be in my squad. No one has played with more savage passion this season than Munster’s O’Mahony; few are more tactically savvy during a game than Laidlaw. Neither individual would regard midweek Lions fixtures in Hamilton or Dunedin as anything other than an honour and privilege.

Are you Robert Kitson?!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/21/british-irish-lions-contenders-tour-new-zealand

No one has played with more savage passion this season than Munster’s O’Mahony; few are more tactically savvy during a game than Laidlaw. Neither individual would regard midweek Lions fixtures in Hamilton or Dunedin as anything other than an honour and privilege.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:09 pm

BamBam wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I still say pick a tour captain, with the caveat of you are going to be the leader of this group of players, even if you don't start the tests.

Are you Robert Kitson?!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/21/british-irish-lions-contenders-tour-new-zealand

No one has played with more savage passion this season than Munster’s O’Mahony; few are more tactically savvy during a game than Laidlaw. Neither individual would regard midweek Lions fixtures in Hamilton or Dunedin as anything other than an honour and privilege.

yes. next question. Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:28 pm

Again? What a moron.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:32 pm

Ha ha. Go Eddie! Smile

Stirring the pot again.

You guys should know him by now.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

Bahahahah love how every one gets their knickers in a twist over Eddie!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:42 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Are you Robert Kitson?!

yes. next question. Wink

Rugger did you tour New Zealand in 2005?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Again? What a moron.

I do get what he means, a leadership team always exists within a squad. However there can be only one captain. Like Connor McLeod. Otherwise you just end up looking like a helmet... like AWJ during the Scotland game. Thats when the captain was ignored and the leadership team made a democratic decision.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I do get what he means, a leadership team always exists within a squad. However there can be only one captain. Like Connor McLeod. Otherwise you just end up looking like a helmet... like AWJ during the Scotland game. Thats when the captain was ignored and the leadership team made a democratic decision.

Don't stir that hornets nest!

Let's just go old school and pick one captain. I'll do it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Should make everyone a captain of one tiny facet of the tour, just to ensure everything runs smoothly and nothing is overlooked.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

Quite a lot of us were thinking the samne thing when we saw the faux outrage of the OP

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:23 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Warburton it is then. It certainly won't be Chief Johnny of the Gray Clan - the guy gets his ass driven backward by locks who are more class than he is (AWJ).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:27 pm

Chaperone Captain for a group of professional sportsmen who know they have a job to do is ...well, to me, it's quite comical.  A Tour Captain that won't necessarily ever Captain the players on the field of play during Test matches?  What the hell is the point?  A man walking around the dressing rooms talking unifying crap as the chosen players kit up? A guy getting players to sit closer to each other during recreation-time evening chats?

The group will have enough behind the scenes captains, from logistics people telling them all where to be at any given time to the numerous coaches and admin people that will always be around them.  They aren't kids, they don't need this 'special' player that everyone looks up to until play day when they laugh at him as they run out onto the field to face the ABs and he watches from the stands.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm

If you could guarantee me that the tour captain wouldn't play, I'd pick AWJ. Kill two bird with one stone.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:31 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Warburton it is then. It certainly won't be Chief Johnny of the Gray Clan - the guy gets his ass driven backward by locks who are more class than he is (AWJ).

Lost A battle, but convincingly won the war, although he was double teamed by AWJ and Tipuric. How many points did you guys score in that second half? kiss

All joking aside, Gray isn't Lions captain material. He seems to be very shy and shirks the limelight at any opportunity. Rolling him out at an endless procession of publicity events, press conferences and all that other nonsense wouldn't suit him at all.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 22 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm

Eddie Jones goes fishing.........
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Mar 2017, 4:31 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Lost A battle, but convincingly won the war, although he was double teamed by AWJ and Tipuric. How many points did you guys score in that second half? kiss

All joking aside, Gray isn't Lions captain material. He seems to be very shy and shirks the limelight at any opportunity. Rolling him out at an endless procession of publicity events, press conferences and all that other nonsense wouldn't suit him at all.

Spot on. Whilst Jonny Gray could ultimately end up as a "lead by example" sort of captain, he's never going to deliver "we shall fight on the beaches" type oratory, and I don't see him being great in the media spot light.

He's more substance than style, unlike most Welsh players..... Whistle

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 22 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

He (AWJ) has to undergo a 6 week rehabilitation to start with, because of the shoulder injury he endured in last Saturdays Match.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

wayne wrote:He (AWJ) has to undergo a 6 week rehabilitation to start with, because of the shoulder injury he endured in last Saturdays Match.

For me, he now has to be left behind. This tour's schedule is quite frankly unrealistic, and there will be no room for passengers. It's not as if we are short of world class locks to choose from.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Mar 2017, 5:08 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
wayne wrote:He (AWJ) has to undergo a 6 week rehabilitation to start with, because of the shoulder injury he endured in last Saturdays Match.

For me, he now has to be left behind. This tour's schedule is quite frankly unrealistic, and there will be no room for passengers. It's not as if we are short of world class locks to choose from.

I agree with the sentiment but I can't help but think that Gatland will pull out all the stops for AWJ. I'm not saying I'd do the same thing, but in terms of "been there, done it and got the t-shirt", there aren't that many forwards with significant Lions experience (Cole, AWJ and Warburton. Possibly SOB and Heaslip if picked).

Still, there is a plethora of talent at lock: AWJ, Charteris, Ball, J Gray, R Gray, Toner, Henderson, Launchbury, Lawes, Kruis and Itoje. All viable candidates with a case to make.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

Tbh I don't think his experience will be needed. Potentially we could have a score or more players who toured with the last Lions.

Warburton, Sexton, Cole, Hartley, North, Zebo, Hogg, Murray, Farrel, Faletou, O'Brien, Tipuric, Grey and Vunipola have all got that experience and all could potentially tour.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 6:22 pm

Its gone from the sublime to the ridiculous down at HQ, the matriarchal schoolmaster to Humpty Dumpty.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 22 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm

6 weeks off will leave awj in much better shape for the tour than most of the others.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 22 Mar 2017, 6:30 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Sorry, but if anything it strengthens his hand, the statement is so scant on information (doesn't mention actually what the injury is) that if one of the options was surgery, if that was the option taken it would definitely rule him out of the Tour. As it wasn't taken I would say if he is pronounced fit at the end of the rehab, he will be the Tour Captain.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 22 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

AWJ. Is out for 6 weeks. So should not be considered for Lions. At all.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 7:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:AWJ. Is out for 6 weeks. So should not be considered for Lions. At all.

why not?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Mar 2017, 8:24 pm

Gwlad wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:AWJ. Is out for 6 weeks. So should not be considered for Lions. At all.

why not?

Match fitness. I'm a fan of AWJ, but this is a tour that is demonstrably going to be very attrirional. I'm not sure by he can be selected with what will be a significant lack of match fitness.

Charteris, Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje, Henderson, Ryan, J Gray, R Gray we have enough amazing locks to pick from without having to hope AWJ will be fit enough and strong enough to tour.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 22 Mar 2017, 8:25 pm

Gwlad wrote:

why not?

won't be match fit....How will he be fit enough if the team is selected on the 19th of April?

Players should be only be selected if they are fit and playing now. And not coming back from injuries.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 22 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

Gwlad wrote:

why not?
Not good enough. Or enough of a leader.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 8:38 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

why not?

won't be match fit....How will he be fit enough if the team is selected on the 19th of April?

Players should be only be selected if they are fit and playing now. And not coming back from injuries.

rubbish and you clearly dont know Gatlans thoughts on this because he will take players who aren't match fit on tour as he did in 2011

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

Gwlad might be right re. Gats, but unfortunately we're not facing a crappy Aus side (that still beat Wales). Having said that, if we're predicting things just look at Gwlad on the 6 Nations competition Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

Cyril wrote:Gwlad might be right re. Gats, but unfortunately we're not facing a crappy Aus side (that still beat Wales). Having said that, if we're predicting things just look at Gwlad on the 6 Nations competition Smile

I am right.

I am also right that Cyril doesnt even bother to enter the competition because he doesn't have a clue.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm

My mum could have guessed results and been closer than you!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:11 pm

Cyril wrote:My mum could have guessed results and been closer than you!

what's funny is you ferreting around looking at my predictions, and still not being switched on enough to know that i wasn't taking it vaguely seriously since I predicted England would lose to Italy i believe and that Ireland would beat England 47-0.

As for you mum, London Zoo must be very proud thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:12 pm

You must have far too much time on your hands to be looking up my entires in a forum competition you don't even bother entering then trying to use it as some sort of sledge.

Have you struggled figuring out how to enter it or did you ask mummy to do it for you?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

Ha ha love you Gwlad. Even with your cheeky insults you liven up this forum Smile We need to share a pint sometime (tricky with geography) Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

Ha ha love you Gwlad. Even with your cheeky insults you liven up this forum Smile We need to share a pint sometime (tricky with geography) Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 22 Mar 2017, 9:45 pm

Two invites in one day, I'm flattered.

The prospect of sharing a pint with you and your simian relatives sounds enchanting monkey monkey

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Mar 2017, 11:04 pm

You're always welcome for a pint if you find your way to Yorkshire Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 Mar 2017, 6:26 am

Gwlad wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

why not?

rubbish and you clearly dont know Gatlans thoughts on this because he will take players who aren't match fit on tour as he did in 2011

Yes. And most of them turned out well didn't they ?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:18 am

He flat out refused the Lions role, he should keep his opinions to himself.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:24 am

robbo277 wrote:Should make everyone a captain of one tiny facet of the tour, just to ensure everything runs smoothly and nothing is overlooked.

Itoje for arts and crafts captain. It would be a huge honour for the other players to be in The Great One's presence. The team bond couldn't possibly be stronger as everyone bands together in solidarity behind the FEC.

Last edited by miaow on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:28 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Ah yes, Alun Wyn Jones, the captain so influential that his players openly disobey him on the rugby pitch, to the potential cost of pivotal matches. Yes, let's pick him.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:30 am

IanBru wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Ah yes, Alun Wyn Jones, the captain so influential that his players openly disobey him on the rugby pitch, to the potential cost of pivotal matches. Yes, let's pick him.

The Court Jester speaks out again... Article-2357314-1AB0238B000005DC-536_634x447

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

Even there Warburton doesn't trust his handling skills and is making sure he keeps his grip.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:36 am

That was 4 years ago? Think Halfpenny was player of the tour.

In case you didn't realize that was a long time ago. AWJ has been captain of Wales for one of their worst 6N for a quite a while.

He's had a poor 6N by his high standards, his captaincy publicly called into question and is now out for 6 Weeks with an injury.

Alarm bells are ringing.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 9:51 am

Scottrf wrote:Even there Warburton doesn't trust his handling skills and is making sure he keeps his grip.

Good technique, carrying with two hands makes you more of a threat. He can safely deliver it to AWJ at the last moment without making a hash of it.

World Class trophy lifting from Sam, there. I suppose you'd expect that, though, having done it as often as he has.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next