The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world? Discuss.

+12
sejorge
JPX
Doon the Water
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
drive4show
LadyPutt
Davie
Doc
Maverick
theeldestboy
16 posters

Go down

Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world?  Discuss. Empty Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world? Discuss.

Post by theeldestboy Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

I am a keen reader of the middle east edition of World Wide Golf magazine. It’s a nice blend of local golfing issues, local club information, course guides, instruction etc, plus a comprehensive overview of world golf tournament previews and results, world ranking, rules issues etc. However, I will soon stop reading it because it features so much editorial by Gary Player, and I can no longer stand the man’s arrogance and self glorification. He is responsible for writing the opening notes, plus usually one or two editorial pieces through the magazine. And no matter what subject he’s writing on, he’ll always turn it into some sort of Gary Player Self-Appreciation extravaganza. I’m not joking – every one of his articles, on any subject, is somehow twisted to highlight his own wins, his own record or his own course design. It’s sickening.

Take this months issue, the first since the death of Seve. Gary Player uses his opening column to reflect on Seve’s career and what a great loss it is for golf, and indeed the sporting world as a whole. But in doing so, Gary somehow manages to wedge in a whole load of unnecessary comments and asides – irrelevant given the sensitivity of the subject – which serve only to boost his own massive ego. Let me give you some examples of what I mean.

“He became the youngest player in Spanish golf to play a professional tournament when he made his debut on the European Tour in the 1974 Spanish Open at the age of 16 years, 11 months and 12 days, but I first encountered Seve at the Open Championship at Birkdale in 1976. By then, I had already won the British open three times but I was enthralled by the golf the 19 year old was producing”

“He became the first European Tour player to win a Green Jacket in 1980 and won again in 1983. When I won my third Masters in 1978 I played with Seve in the final round. I came from seven back to win by one shot and Seve was as happy as I was when that last putt went in”

“He had to give up the game prematurely due to an arthritic spine but I often wonder what Seve would have achieved had he been able to continue playing. At the age of 54, I was still winning Senior Tour Majors on both side of the Atlantic – what a wonderful thing it would have been to watch Seve thrilling the galleries as a Champions Tour golfer”

These three examples are taken from about ½ page of editorial. This is effectively an obituary written about one of golf’s finest ever players, and Gary Player sees fit to use it as a means to highlight some of his own personal achievements, as he does in everything he writes. Disgusting.

It’s the same every week, and in every article. He can’t mention a course anywhere in the world without also referencing one of his own designs, especially Saadiyat Beach, which he repeatedly touts as one of the wonders of the golfing world but which if fact isn’t even a top-ranked course in the middle east region, and it pales compared to Yas Links, The Majlis , Abu Dhabi National etc.

I read these articles over my lunch, and it really annoyed me, as you can probably tell.

Any thoughts?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world?  Discuss. Empty Re: Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world? Discuss.

Post by Maverick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

Never come across the magazine in question but having read those comments it just comes across like every time I see Player on TV or read his interviews. Saw a charity event he played in and all he could talk about what his profile did for the charity rather than what the charity did for the young children it helped. The mans achieved much in his career but having charisma and charm is not one of them.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world?  Discuss. Empty Re: Is Gary Player the most arrogent man in golf...or indeed, the entire world? Discuss.

Post by Doc Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Oh come on you 2 give the man some credit. If it wasn't for him aparthied would still be going on in South Africa, because he wore black, he highlighted the problem and helped break Mandella out of jail. Ernie, Louis and Charl would still be caddying in the bush somehwere, Durban would have been a slum and Jack and Tom would not have been any good without him Whistle

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:19 pm

... and still he looks like Norman Wisdom

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

If it annoys you that much, I suggest you read another magazine.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Bit of a shame really, his record is one of the finest in professional golf and even better when you consider his small stature and lack of power compared to his peers.

But no need to ram his achievements down our throats at every opportunity. I don't go on about my weekly medal win in 2006 everytime someone starts talking golf. And our junior club champion would never have achieved what he has if I hadn't said hello to him on the putting green last year, that was a massive boost to his confidence.

Seriously though, there is no need. We all know how good he was. A bit of charisma/charm goes a long way!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:12 pm

I think eldestboy makes a very good point; Player is all about Player. It's terrific that he's done so much for golf, his country and - let's face it, we kinda have to take his word for it - social causes in South Africa.

But, he's a hyperbolic blowhard. I imagine you have to have some of that to reach the level of excellence the very best sportsmen have but no need to ram it down everyone's throat.
Let's face it, even on the Augusta stage he kept playing just so he could surpass Palmer's number of appearances; he's such an egotist he just can't help himself.

And he still needs to name names following that absurd outburst about drug-talking in pro golf. Perhaps like the 10-year-old at school: He who smelt it dealt it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:30 pm

Doc wrote:Oh come on you 2 give the man some credit. If it wasn't for him aparthied would still be going on in South Africa, because he wore black, he highlighted the problem and helped break Mandella out of jail. Ernie, Louis and Charl would still be caddying in the bush somehwere, Durban would have been a slum and Jack and Tom would not have been any good without him Whistle

Hmm. Do I detect a tongue wedged in a cheek somewhere?

Player believed in nothing if not himself throughout his career. I'm surprised he's so obvious in his self-aggrandisement but maybe I shouldn't be. Could play a bit though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

It's funny this should be brought up as i was having a conversation with a friend over 9 holes yesterday evening that, whilst clearly a legend of the game, i've never really been able to warm to Gary Player.
As i said to my friend, he always reminds me of my dad in that he doesn't seem to be able to say anything without sounding like he's trying to teach you something. He comes across rather patronising in my opinion
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

He really is an interesting guy, I have bumped into him a few times in the 60's to 80's and have been lucky to have spent a bit of time with him.

To start with when he was young he really was a cr@p bunker player until one of my relatives tought him how to deal with links bunkers. He then became known as the world's best bunker player, not by the lessons he received but by his massive drive for self improvement.

He is an old time showman with a large ego, but he also has a good heart and has quietly helped many individuals in his lifetime.

A nice story to indicate the type of guy he was.

He was a member of a course that I managed and when the new 'metal' woods came out he was 'lecturing' my head greenkeeper on how these clubs were going to change the world and how wonderful they were.
The following year he reverted back to his old perssimon driver and my greenkeeper asked him where his metal wood was.
His reply was 'nah Arnold they are rubbish they will never catch on.'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:13 am

LadyPutt wrote:If it annoys you that much, I suggest you read another magazine.

Bored Ladyputt, or have you just got nothing of real value to add?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

I have noticed this about Gary Player too, not to the extent that it annoys me but it is noticeable. Tony Johnstone is the man to listen to, actually tries to talk down his achievements, and offers great insight.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by sejorge Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

A very good friend of mine was watching Gary Player in an event early in his career when Gary hit his drive into some pretty heavy rough. My pal was watching from the other side of the fairway with his binoculars and saw that his lie was pretty severely impeded by a huge thistle. Gary and Caddy had a look at it and then held a brief summit meeting. Gary then proceeded to march up the fairway shouting at the crowd and moving them around and generally putting on a bit of a show. When my pals binoculars returned to the ball the thistle was missing...to put this into context my pal is a former high court judge and once called a penalty on himself during a pretty important match on the 18th because he thought he may have caused his ball to move in bunker by stepping into it to heavily.

sejorge

Back to top Go down

Post by nixonuae Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

Eldest,

I'm also here in the UAE and couldn't agree more on both the magazine and "his" course, perhaps it was his excellent bunker game that made him put so many on Saadiyat!
At the initial opening of the course he used words along the lines of " will be one of the best golf courses in the world" - my bum, 2 better in Abu Dhabi and several in the UAE.

nixonuae

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

Sejorge, i hope that's not true! If so, it's very sad
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sejorge Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:28 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Sejorge, i hope that's not true! If so, it's very sad

Sadly, I believe it to be true. I would imagine the details of the story have been embelished somewhat for effect but the nub of it is that Gary was complicit in some cheating. I'm pretty sure Tom Watson got involved in a long running feud with him about a similar incident in the Open (Pulling out a rooted plant at Lytham 1973?) there are a few tawdry tales knocking around about him unfortunately. Very sad, he was easily a good enough golfer not to need to do it.

sejorge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

I was waiting for someone to mention Lytham!

Isn't i funny how things like this stick in golf, Vijay, Player, Saltman (no other reason for them to be mentioned in the same sentence of course)

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

He was in a state at Carnoustie '73 when he was hunting for his ball in the rough at the 17th on the final day.
Found it on the 4min 59second mark.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

I know a Zimbabwean chap from Pine Ridge Golf Club. We meet up each year in inter-club matches. Just got into 70s (age) but still plays to about 3. A nice chap.

Anyway, there's one thing he said that I'll never forget: "Gary Player is an utter Kumquat." He didn't expand on why this was, but it seemed like something must have happened for him to have said something that was quite quite out of character for him.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:37 am

Naughty Merc ... trying to get around the swear filter that way *shakes finger*

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

Davie wrote:Naughty Merc ... trying to get around the swear filter that way *shakes finger*

There was no trying - I succeeded!

Wink

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

Only until I saw it!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

Sadly there's no smoke without fire as they say. I prefer to remember him as one of the greats of the game, but he's a bit sickly to listen to these days, as he's more like the Harry Enfield character 'nooo you don't want to do it like that, do it like this'. Sadly Arnie, Jack et al still make multi millions from the sport, and I read somehwere recently that Arnie has had to stop piloting his jet because of age, which will mean he will only earn $22m this year. Fair play to them as they were greats of the game in their own era, but just wish GP would trap it sometimes.

Whatever happend to Lee Trevino because he should be in this 'elite' little group, because not only was he almost on a par with these guys' but he actually had a personality. Hope he's still around?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

Trevino is still about but keeps himself to himself these days, he gave an interesting interview recently stating how he has always been a shy guy and when he's not on the course he just hides away in the comfort and sanctum of his own little home (rather large mansion but he's earned it) he also said he was only the brash out going guy people liked on the course because it's how he dealt with his nerves.

I'd love to sit and listen to his stories but if GP began regailing his tales i'd want to lop his head off he's far to selfrightous

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

I noticed that about Trevino's nerves early doors, the other guy with the same problem/solution was Fuzzy Zoeller. He was as tight as a drum but he used to sasheye around the course whistling away.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Didn't he make a song and dance about players using performance enhaning drugs and yet was one of the oldest players on the tour to contest majors? He has always struck me as a stange fella and if he had made those comments, it is a shame, but he won't have been the first to have made comments about himself when remembering a fellow competitor in a sport.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down