The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+25
Galted
Samo
No 7&1/2
Pr4wn
Dolphin Ziggler
LionsV2
Duty281
lostinwales
catchweight
dummy_half
ShahenshahG
Scottrf
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Lowlandbrit
Hammersmith harrier
navyblueshorts
Muscular-mouse
SecretFly
Ent
superflyweight
Derbymanc
CaledonianCraig
TRUSSMAN66
GSC
29 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 8 Empty Political round up.............

Post by GSC Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

First topic message reminder :

CaledonianCraig wrote:
GSC wrote:The Scots voted to remain part of the UK.

The UK voted to leave the EU. Every Scottish vote counted the same as every other UK citizen. I don't see the issue.

The Scots (a good number if you look at post-ref stats from neutral sources) decided to vote no on varying issues. One of the main ones was because they feared losing their place in Europe. That won loads of votes for Better Together and has proved to be fruitless for the voters as they are now out of Europe.

The issue is that many Scots sees Scotland as its own country - sure not independent - but very close to it as they have their own government. However, when they vote by 62% to remain in Europe and end up being taken out of Europe it becomes a big issue to many. Yes we know the UK voted to exit but there are perhaps a million plus Scots who fail to recognize or accept being part of the UK or see themselves Scottish first and foremost and feel how they vote should hold more water than it does in the current union.

Sorry Craig, but that's democracy. Why should somebody in Edinburghs vote count more than someone's in London? Almost as ridiculous as Mhairi Black complaining that a region with more inhabitants had more MPs representing it than another region with less MPs.

But such is the politics of the SNP, always phrasing as Scotland vs the rest of the UK (or more accurately England) when Scotland voted to be part of the UK.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 8 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I agree, better to be completed unprepared for situations like that.

You can't change anything if you don't get elected.

I love all the youngsters passion but Labour need some of the middle.

Don't talk about runs on the pound....Sell a positive vision.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 8 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by dummy_half Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:35 am

Labour's position on Brexit? To avoid talking about it as much as possible to hide that they are as split as the Tories.

The Corbyn left have never been fans of the EU, but Corbyn wants to still take pot shots at the Tories over the Brexit negotiations, and also wants to keep the 'leave' voters on side. Basically it's a political tight rope that is just about negotiable for a party in Opposition, especially with the problems the negotiators are having, but makes for an incoherent position should another general election be called.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

Does their position matter?

May will likely stretch this term out to 5 years and the exit and transition period will be done by this point.

I'm terrified of this labour opposition, lack of talent and ability recycling failed ideas from generations ago.

They will destroy the uk if they get into power.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

Ent wrote:Does their position matter?

May will likely stretch this term out to 5 years and the exit and transition period will be done by this point.

I'm terrified of this labour opposition, lack of talent and ability recycling failed ideas from generations ago.

I see myself as being more anti Labour than anything else at the moment, the whole rhetoric of his speech today was scary. He expects the corporations and the wealthy to pay for his fantasy but antagonises them at every opportunity, there's a very real possibility they bugger off elsewhere if he gets into power and then where are we?

The Tories are a shambles at the moment and Theresa May is struggling but if we have to put up with them as a minority government for five years to safeguard against Corbyn then so be it.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

Just wants o set up a huge state with huge government interference wit no real plan on how to pay for it.

We will all end up with a huge tax bill in a massively devalued currency.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

LionsV2 wrote:

I see myself as being more anti Labour than anything else at the moment, the whole rhetoric of his speech today was scary. He expects the corporations and the wealthy to pay for his fantasy but antagonises them at every opportunity, there's a very real possibility they bugger off elsewhere if he gets into power and then where are we?

The Tories are a shambles at the moment and Theresa May is struggling but if we have to put up with them as a minority government for five years to safeguard against Corbyn then so be it.

I think the needless EU referendum the Tory party called for and the Brexit you voted for....Is more likely to see the Corporations and wealthy bugger off.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

And in these challenging circumstances is a party who wants to increase taxation and steal your assets useful?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm

Steal your assets? Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.

The greatest asset the UK has is the NHS and the Tories are stealing it from under your noses. The UK public is just too stupid to see what they're doing.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Steal your assets? Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.

The greatest asset the UK has is the NHS and the Tories are stealing it from under your noses. The UK public is just too stupid to see what they're doing.

You however in Toronto can see exactly what is happening, the UK public did vote for Corbyn so they are pretty stupid in fairness.

Labour + PFI = ????

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

You're not making any sense, as usual.

Yes I live in Toronto but the internet is a wonderful thing, old boy. Using it, I can keep abreast of the goings on in the UK. It's pretty amazing that I don't actually have to have my feet on UK soil to know what's happening.

You seriously don't think that NHS contracts for US healthcare providers won't be used as a bargaining chip in a hastily-arranged US trade deal?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

Your opinion is irrelevant to me, stick to irritating other people please.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

May hasn't got the power to stretch anything out...........As for the other stuff it's just silly....

Labour could never hurt this Country more than the Tories and their stupid Eu referendum which was only called for Electoral advantage.

4 Billion for the DUP (After the agreement is renewed)...Billions for the EU and the prospect of another recession looming...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:10 pm

What else would you call use it or lose it with regards to development land or the proposal to take unsold housing for social housing?

Brexit is a cluster, but it's where we are - need someone to steer carefully through it. Not a party proposing a strategy that will discourage business, investment and devalue the currency.

The Conservative party have handled the NHS horrifically badly since 2010, but that is a separate issue. There will be no money for the NHS in the near future under this current Labour Party. I'd much prefer a centre left, new labour style direction but we have what we have.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:17 pm

Ent wrote:

The Conservative party have handled the NHS horrifically badly since 2010, but that is a separate issue. There will be no money for the NHS in the near future under this current Labour Party. I'd much prefer a centre left, new labour style direction but we have what we have.

Stick to what you can back up........Just biased speculation.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

May hasn't got the power to stretch anything out...........As for the other stuff it's just silly....

Labour could never hurt this Country more than the Tories and their stupid Eu referendum which was only called for Electoral advantage.

4 Billion for the DUP (After the agreement is renewed)...Billions for the EU and the prospect of another recession looming...

With the fixed term parliament act she does.

Corbyn was very poor during the referendum with many labour strong holds voting leave. Leaving the eu is a disaster but it is what it is and we've to deal with it.

Britain is committed to the eu budget until 2020 regardless of sitting government.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:

Stick to what you can back up........Just biased speculation.

Opinion based on the costings of their proposals in their manifesto (Mcdonnell said this week they were still figuring some of those promises out ffs) and the fact they've added more costly promises since then.

Shadow chancellor is the one who brought up run on the pound.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:22 pm

Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Corbyn was very poor during the referendum with many labour strong holds voting leave. Leaving the eu is a disaster but it is what it is and we've to deal with it.

Britain is committed to the eu budget until 2020 regardless of sitting government.

That is a bit different to saying May will stretch it out................By the way she is in a pact with the DUP......People can fall out.

She leaves in 2019..............Probably Johnson then calls for an Election asking for his own mandate (Like May did) while he is in his honeymoon period.....

The Fixed term act isn't worth the paper it is written on.....

She won't last.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

That is a bit different to saying May will stretch it out................By the way she is in a pact with the DUP......People can fall out.

She leaves in 2019..............Probably Johnson then calls for an Election asking for his own mandate (Like May did) while he is in his honeymoon period.....

She won't last.

Stick to what you can back up, not speculation...

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:45 pm

The fixed act parliament act is worth as much as the governing party thinks it's worth.

People show their true colours when it comes to the DUP, people want more public spending but only if it benefits them. Last time I checked Northern Ireland is part of the UK and historically the most underfunded part of it too.

Brexit will be a walk in the park compared to a Corbyn led Labour party in power, that would be real misery for the many.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:02 pm

LionsV2 wrote:Your opinion is irrelevant to me, stick to irritating other people please.

Good comeback, bud. Keep those well-reasoned and backed-up arguments coming. It's what we're used to.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:03 pm

Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Considering the last election that was called, the Fixed Parliament Act isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Anyway, her own party will take her out before 2020.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:07 pm

Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

She won't last.

Widely known the Tories gave her till 2019 to see the end of Brexit...Moved to 2021 (But She is still favorite to go in 2019...four years is a long time for a lame duck).........She has been told she won't fight another Election....Lab/Lib had a coalition in the 70s which collapsed..

I back up all my statements...I don't just say Labour won't have any money for NHS......That is just bollox. thumbsup

Try not to throw your toys out of the pram.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:20 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Considering the last election that was called, the Fixed Parliament Act isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Anyway, her own party will take her out before 2020.

2/3rds of parliament need to vote to call an early election, not happening any time soon.

Even if she does go it will be after leaving the eu and the new leader will take time to elect and have a settling in period before another election.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

She won't last.

Widely known the Tories gave her till 2019 to see the end of Brexit...Moved to 2021 (But She is still favorite to go in 2019...four years is a long time for a lame duck).........She has been told she won't fight another Election....Lab/Lib had a coalition in the 70s which collapsed..

I back up all my statements...I don't just say Labour won't have any money for NHS......That is just bollox. thumbsup

Try not to throw your toys out of the pram.

That's all speculation I'm afraid, not backed up in anyway.

What do you think of labours public spending plans and are they affordable, do you think their stance on business will promote investment etc.

If they tank the economy and have a run on the pound there won't be funds for the NHS.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:17 pm

Wouldn't worry about Corbyn winning a GE....He hasn't got the votes........A coalition is all he can hope for......SNP will reign in his excesses.

My guess is another GE would result in a slim Tory majority with Labour gaining a few more seats by winning 15 or so off the SNP.....Labour will lose some to the Tories and so will the SNP.....Labour and the Tories only need to add a few % and 20 or so SNP seats change hands.

However the longer the Tories leave an Election the more likely Corbyn retires and that means Thornberry or Starmer.............They aren't as left wing and they will be the two fighting for the leadership......Thornberry is the darling of the Corbynistas and Starmer is the only real chance of the center stopping her.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:22 pm

Starmer is impressive. Thornberry seems a long shot to win a GE
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Yougov...................Lab 43..................Con 39.
Opinium.................Con 42..................Lab 40
Survation................Lab 43.................Con 39
Ipsos......................Lab 44..................Con 40

You have a hard-left Leader with dubious friends and only 1/4 of the PLP behind him.... polling like this....Before Brexit even kicks in..

Hard to see why Thornberry would struggle...

I don't think Corbyn can cream off the center enough with all his baggage even with a crap Brexit........No reason at all why Thornberry shouldn't.....

I'd be very surprised if Starmer or Thornberry didn't win a sizeable majority....

Problem is Jez is enjoying his day in the Sun and no one can touch him........He goes when he wants.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:38 am

Boris goes back to top in the list of preferred successors to May among Tory members.

Not the kind of guy you want sniffing around your rear end..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:40 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Boris goes back to top in the list of preferred successors to May among Tory members.

Not the kind of guy you want sniffing around your rear end..

If you can spot the guys you want sniffing around your rear end you're spending too much time at the Blue Oyster.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

Buy one get one free on Friday's

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:27 pm

Labour has a 20 point lead with the 18-60 group

As with Brexit the past is having too much say in the future..

Get registered and have your say.....If you can't get a change of Government....Change the direction of it.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:37 pm

A BBC studied suggested that those who understand politics are more likely to vote Conservative whilst those with poor political knowledge are more likely to vote for Labour.

Older voters tend to have experience of left wing governments and don't fancy a repeat, those too young to remember the 60's and 70's seem to think it's a great idea, personally would like to see the voting age increased.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:42 pm

Eh, not sure I get behind that. Think there's a long standing issue of politicians failing to connect with younger voters which creates apathy. Should be a good thing now that Labour has captured the younger vote, the other parties have to adapt to follow suit.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

LionsV2 wrote:A BBC studied suggested that those who understand politics are more likely to vote Conservative whilst those with poor political knowledge are more likely to vote for Labour.

Older voters tend to have experience of left wing governments and don't fancy a repeat, those too young to remember the 60's and 70's seem to think it's a great idea, personally would like to see the voting age increased.
Link please...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
LionsV2 wrote:A BBC studied suggested that those who understand politics are more likely to vote Conservative whilst those with poor political knowledge are more likely to vote for Labour.

Link please...

I think he means this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41349409

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:09 pm

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:16 pm

It's similar to why I think low voter turnout is a good thing. Why force people to vote if they don't care?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Link please...

I think he means this one.

LionsV2 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41349409

Mérci...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:30 pm

Interesting article.

I doubt it is powered adequately to make claims about the sub groups as it tries to though.

Young people know little about politics, well duh. Almost no time is devoted to it in school unless you take a crappy a level in it. I knew nothing about politics when I was 18. Only going to get worse in the future due to the internet and people not using accurate sources.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:42 pm

Ta for the link.

BBC wrote:Though internet usage and political knowledge are only slightly linked, it is clear that, after rigorous statistical tests, how knowledgeable people are about politics had significant effects on how they voted.
Umm, no. What's clear (maybe) is that there's a significant positive correlation between the way someone voted and their political knowledge. Saying that "how knowledgeable people are about politics had significant effects on how they voted" is not the same or correct (from what info they give here). Ideally, I'd like to see the actual survey questions here. I'm not sure that simply "knowing about politics" is that significant in any case, is it? It's not knowledge of economics, geography, social science, defence etc is it?

Don't worry, I'm not a Corbynista by any means, or a Tory. I'm just not sure I'd read that much into this survey w/o seeing the survey details and that statement above, is misleading, as given.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm

Ent wrote:Interesting article.

I doubt it is powered adequately to make claims about the sub groups as it tries to though.

Young people know little about politics, well duh. Almost no time is devoted to it in school unless you take a crappy a level in it. I knew nothing about politics when I was 18. Only going to get worse in the future due to the internet and people not using accurate sources.

Exactly.

I trust older voters with the future of this country a lot more than younger voters because they have experienced all sorts of different governments and can vote accordingly. An 18 year old who has never had to rely on himself simply does not have the required know how to make a balanced opinion, an age group that is predominantly remain voting for a Eurosceptic makes no logical sense.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm

Good point...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:53 pm

LionsV2 wrote:

Exactly.

I trust older voters with the future of this country a lot more than younger voters because they have experienced all sorts of different governments and can vote accordingly. An 18 year old who has never had to rely on himself simply does not have the required know how to make a balanced opinion, an age group that is predominantly remain voting for a Eurosceptic makes no logical sense.

Well no.

Goes both ways, older voters don't have long term interests (eu referendum anyone). We should just educate people more (not to pile other pressure on schools), like I'm sure a huge amount of people don't have a clue what changing interest rates mean.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:02 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Ta for the link.

BBC wrote:Though internet usage and political knowledge are only slightly linked, it is clear that, after rigorous statistical tests, how knowledgeable people are about politics had significant effects on how they voted.
Umm, no. What's clear (maybe) is that there's a significant positive correlation between the way someone voted and their political knowledge. Saying that "how knowledgeable people are about politics had significant effects on how they voted" is not the same or correct (from what info they give here). Ideally, I'd like to see the actual survey questions here. I'm not sure that simply "knowing about politics" is that significant in any case, is it? It's not knowledge of economics, geography, social science, defence etc is it?

Don't worry, I'm not a Corbynista by any means, or a Tory. I'm just not sure I'd read that much into this survey w/o seeing the survey details and that statement above, is misleading, as given.

Political knowledge is measured as the number of correct answers to the following questions:
(i) The unemployment rate in the UK is currently less than 5%; (ii) The Chancellor of the
Exchequer is responsible for setting interest rates in the UK; (iii) In 2016 over 500,000
immigrants came to the UK from the European Union; (iv) In the UK, anyone who earns
less than £11,500 pays no income tax; (v) The UK is legally required to leave the
European Union by March 2019; (vi) The minimum voting age for UK general elections
is now 16 years of age; (vii) Any registered voter can obtain a postal vote for a general
election by contacting their local council and asking for one; (viii) The UK currently
spends just over one per cent of its gross national income on overseas aid.

Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:08 pm

At 18 I'd have probably gotten 1 or 2 of those correct, now most of them.

Just one of those things, you'd know most if you watched or read the news (actual news, not the Love sacks a lot of young people read).

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:13 pm

Exactly, it's one of those things someone has quickly clicked through without an ounce of thought. I think brexit is going to put a lot of people off voting like nothing else - especially if there is no deal and the Aussies manage to browbeat fox into signing the copied deals wholesale.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

Hammer, is it you whose family has a massive business in the meat sector?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Hammer, is it you whose family has a massive business in the meat sector?

That joke has gone right over my head.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

It wasn't a joke, I remember there was someone here who had a massive interest in the meat sector crowing about how they were going to do big business post brexit after the regulations had been torn down.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

That sounds like a Coxyesque story to me.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next