The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK General Election/Politics

+15
Hammersmith harrier
Davie
Yadsendew
JAS
MontysMerkin
beninho
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
super_realist
SmithersJones
pedro
I'm never wrong
Diggers
puligny
Roller_Coaster
19 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

UK General Election/Politics - Page 8 Empty UK General Election/Politics

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 03 May 2017, 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's a possible thread for it all, despite the lack of political input from me to start it!

Mods if you want to/can cut and paste the recent obviously political "discussions" from the Anything Goes, here might serve?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

UK General Election/Politics - Page 8 Empty Re: UK General Election/Politics

Post by puligny Tue 06 Jun 2017, 9:44 am

Digs - I think BoJo Gove and Fox do add a few more dimensions!!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

True, I think Boris has actually lost the plot in the past month or so, he's coming across as some demented lunatic.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

Super

Would you describe yourself as anti Trump?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:11 am

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:You asked if America would "stand by" and I said they had before, why wouldn't they again?
Eeh, Nato?
Trump signally failed to endorse NATO's Article 5 (i.e. coming to the defence of other members) during his recent visit to Europe.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

Diggers wrote:Surely whether the US actually would or would not assist isn't relevant. It's the same concept as the deterrent, logically you would imagine that they would, therefore this is enough to stop any attack on the UK in the first place. That said, with some of the nutters running the world these days, all bets are off.
Mind you, it's clear May is completely willing to be Trumps poodle, as our PM she doesn't even have the backbone to support the mayor of our capital city. She really does no backbone whatsoever, everything that is abhorrent about a modern politician wrapped up in one person.  
To be fair, we don't know what May has said to Trump re. his ridiculous tweets through rather less public diplomatic channels. Just because Trump's a child, isn't reason for her to stoop to his level.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:13 am

Diggers wrote:Surely whether the US actually would or would not assist isn't relevant. It's the same concept as the deterrent, logically you would imagine that they would, therefore this is enough to stop any attack on the UK in the first place. That said, with some of the nutters running the world these days, all bets are off.
Mind you, it's clear May is completely willing to be Trumps poodle, as our PM she doesn't even have the backbone to support the mayor of our capital city. She really does no backbone whatsoever, everything that is abhorrent about a modern politician wrapped up in one person.  

You clearly don't have a clue how diplomacy works then and it's telling that you think that she should have come to the defence of a Labour politician but don't hold the same view in reverse, strange that. Whether his comments are right or wrong, some of the things Khan has said are indefensible.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:13 am

McLaren wrote:Super

Of course I would Mac. What's wrong with you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:23 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:

You clearly don't have a clue how diplomacy works then and it's telling that you think that she should have come to the defence of a Labour politician but don't hold the same view in reverse, strange that. Whether his comments are right or wrong, some of the things Khan has said are indefensible.

Oh the irony of you lecturing about understanding diplomacy.
Which of his comments are indefensible, and why? I know it's hard for you, but try and give some detail.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
To be fair, we don't know what May has said to Trump re. his ridiculous tweets through rather less public diplomatic channels. Just because Trump's a child, isn't reason for her to stoop to his level.

She should have shown more, by not doing so she appears weak...that isn't diplomatically great IMO. I'd imagine Trump feels he is totally in control in that relationship.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:30 am

Diggers wrote:

Which of his comments are indefensible, and why? I know it's hard for you, but try and give some detail.

Clueless as ever then, keep digging.

His comment about living in a big city was correct but it's not something I'd expect or want my Mayor to say.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

Of course I would Mac. What's wrong with you?

I just thought you might not object to his travel restrictions on Muslims, pro business stance or pulling out of the Paris climate agreement?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:40 am

Diggers wrote:

Clueless as ever then, keep digging.

His comment about living in a big city was correct but it's not something I'd expect or want my Mayor to say.

The way he has spoke and acted has received great praise, and quite rightly so, the same applies to Burnham. Maybe when you actually leave grammar school you'll begin to understand these things a little better, but I doubt it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

Why? Because I work in oil?

Great deduction mac. Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

Interesting that, among others, all the mayors of major cities in the US seem to think Khan is spot on. Oh, and the European ones. Some people disagree, but so far they are all called Trump plus one on this board!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

Diggers wrote:
The way he has spoke and acted has received great praise, and quite rightly so, the same applies to Burnham. Maybe when you actually leave grammar school you'll begin to understand these things a little better, but I doubt it.

When you leave the land of Pixies, Unicorns and Mermaids get back to me.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:54 am

super_realist wrote:Why? Because I work in oil?

Great deduction mac. :roll:

I was just curious. Sometimes you will adopt a position of apathy when we are discussing actions people take that don't directly impact you.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

Diggers wrote:

Do you understand the difference between a common noun and a proper noun?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:Why? Because I work in oil?

Great deduction mac. Rolling Eyes

I was just curious.  Sometimes you will adopt a position of apathy when we are discussing actions people take that don't directly impact you.

I despise all religion equally Mac, but at present Islam is the greatest threat, 80 years ago I would have said it was Catholicism, but times change.

We all use oil everyday for everything, so I'm no more of a polluter than you, other than I own a car and not a bus pass.

Nothing wrong with supporting business though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Diggers wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Diggers, don't lecture anyone on grammar when you use the phrase "The way he has spoke".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:09 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Diggers, don't lecture anyone  on grammar when you use the phrase "The way he has spoke".

You need a comma after phrase.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:27 am

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

She should have shown more, by not doing so she appears weak...that isn't diplomatically great IMO. I'd imagine Trump feels he is totally in control in that relationship.
But you don't don't jump up and down in public, despite that idiot Trump doing it. She only appears 'weak' because we somehow feel we have a right to know anything and everything that's said by anyone these days. We don't. In fact, with Trump, everything about him suggests that public embarrassment doesn't work (he has no shame) and just makes him act the idiot even more.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Diggers, don't lecture anyone  on grammar when you use the phrase "The way he has spoke".

You need a comma after phrase.
Laugh Let's not degenerate too far...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:33 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

But you don't don't jump up and down in public, despite that idiot Trump doing it. She only appears 'weak' because we somehow feel we have a right to know anything and everything that's said by anyone these days. We don't. In fact, with Trump, everything about him suggests that public embarrassment doesn't work (he has no shame) and just makes him act the idiot even more.

Nobody is saying she should jump up and down, but she could certainly make it clear that Khan deserves support. She would not even need to name Trump directly. The attacks are not a minor incident, this discourse has been running for far too long now and warrants her intervention. At what point would she feel the need to actually to say something? I think most Londoners would like her to show greater support to Khan.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:38 am

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Nobody is saying she should jump up and down, but she could certainly make it clear that Khan deserves support. She would not even need to name Trump directly. The attacks are not a minor incident, this discourse has been running for far too long now and warrants her intervention. At what point would she feel the need to actually to say something? I think most Londoners would like her to show greater support to Khan.
They might, but that doesn't mean we have a right to expect her to do what we want. If it's felt the best approach is to use quieter diplomatic channels, so be it. How do you know she hasn't been in touch with Kahn and his team to express support in private?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

I'm easy on it TBH. If she expressed more public support for Kahn, absolutely fine and I think he would merit it. If not, so be it, although I certainly hope Trump and his team are being left in no doubt how inappropriate his behaviour is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:47 am

I think the only way the POTUS will be "left in no doubt how inappropriate his behaviour is" will be for any notion of a State visit this year to be withdrawn.
That can be reviewed in a year's time, by which time he'll hopefully have been wheeled out of office by people in white coats.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 06 Jun 2017, 3:51 pm

If you look at the trends in the polls, if there isn't some sort of wobble in the next couple of days, it could actually be very very close. Abbot very quickly needs locking up and/or gagged until at least Friday. Has anybody else noticed the subtle (or not) switch to negging Abbot instead of Corbyn??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

JAS wrote:If you look at the trends in the polls, if there isn't some sort of wobble in the next couple of days, it could actually be very very close. Abbot very quickly needs locking up and/or gagged until at least Friday. Has anybody else noticed the subtle (or not) switch to  negging Abbot instead of Corbyn??

Depends what polls you're looking at, the more reliable ones from 2015 like ComRes have it wide for the Tories while YouGov which has taken a beating recently has it closed based non representation.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 06 Jun 2017, 6:16 pm

Sweet Jesus Diane, FFS shut up! Even the Tories know of you have a dud, like Hammond or Davies, you hide them away. Has such a senior minister as Hammond ever been kept out of the spotlight so much during an election?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 07 Jun 2017, 1:25 am

The personal attacks by the right wing media have been pretty poor recently, but the front pages of the express, sun and mail today are all pretty disgusting. They are obviously scared about the polls and have gone all out on the final day of campaigning.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 7:19 am

Ah yes, the poor, persecuted left wing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

Super

How would you evaluate the balance of reporting in UK newspapers of the Left and right wing parties?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

I haven't really been reading them Mac. Who buys newspapers these days?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:35 am

Super

I guess we could include the online versions if you want, as often they are the same stories just in digital format. But even without reading the actual papers have you not formed an idea of how each outlet covers left and right wing parties?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:39 am

If you don't want to read negative press about the left, don't read right wing news outlets.

I don't see the problem. It won't affect your vote, so what are you moaning about?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

Super

I am more interested in your opinion of the balance of reporting in the UK media in terms of right and left wing parties?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

Mac, I couldn't care less about the balance in the UUK media, because it doesn't influence me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:00 am

Even if it doesn't influence you do you not have any concerns about how the papers in the UK might be influencing how others vote, and therefore who governs the country you live in?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

If people are gullible enough to be influenced by a newspaper, more fool them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:16 am

Are you saying gullible people getting fooled into voting for #Brexit or for Theresa has no impact on you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:20 am

Mac, regardless of who is in power and regardless of what happens in Europe, it probably won't have a massive impact on my life or yours.

While you are at it you could say that people may have been conned into voting for Corbyn or staying in too couldn't you? It works both ways.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:23 am

super_realist wrote:It works both ways.

That is sort of the question I have trying to get you to answer. Does it work both ways?

Do you think there are more newspapers with a bias towards the right wing than those with a bias towards the left wing?

If this is true, what does a higher proportion of the population reading right wing biased newspapers mean for our democracy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:25 am

Of course it works both ways, have you not seen how rabidly left wing things like Facebook are? More people use that than read newspapers. Facebook is full of people imploring you how to vote, newspapers are at least more subtle than that.

Hardly anyone DOES read newspapers Mac, so who cares? Circulation is nosediving.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:28 am

I don't understand your reluctance to answer the question; Do you think there are more newspapers with a bias towards the right wing than those with a bias towards the left wing?

(whether it matters or not surely you can answer this question)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:30 am

I've answered the question. I've told you I don't read them, so how can I answer whether they are biased or not.
I keep hearing they are towards the right, but if you're left wing, you won't be reading those anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:33 pm

Jesus super, just because I don't read something it doesn't mean it doesn't alter the mindset of those that do.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm

I didn't say it didn't. I am saying it doesn't really affect things. Life is no different for me under any government.

Stick to Doak, that obviously affects your mindset.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

I kind of get where Mac is coming from, in an ideal world it would be really useful if newspapers (or at lease some of them) could be trusted to be impartial. however as is abundantly clear...we don't live in an ideal world. So newspapers are biased and partisan, for the most part that's fine, most of us here are well aware that the Mirror and the Guardian, trumpet the optimistic views and stances of the broad left whilst the others run rabidly negative smear and fear campaigns on behalf of the right. What I think Mac is getting at is that there is a significant chunk of the population who are thick enough to believe that everything they read in a paper is true so when a paper prints lies it's a form of deception. The scale of that deception may well influence the eventual result of the election.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 07 Jun 2017, 1:02 pm

super_realist wrote:I didn't say it didn't. I am saying it doesn't really affect things. Life is no different for me under any government.

How? Governments have impact on everyone's lives. Have you not noticed the cost of living increase? thats due to the government and its policies.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:I didn't say it didn't. I am saying it doesn't really affect things. Life is no different for me under any government.

How? Governments have impact on everyone's lives. Have you not noticed the cost of living increase? thats due to the government and its policies.

Christ, why is everything so literal? VIRTUALLY no change under any government.

Cost of living is down to many things, not just government and policy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next