The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer to miss Roland Garros

+2
summerblues
barrystar
6 posters

Go down

Federer to miss Roland Garros Empty Federer to miss Roland Garros

Post by barrystar Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Federer just announced today that he is going to "skip" RG as he put it,

Roger to skip Roland Garros; will focus on the grass & hardcourt season

Regrettably, I've decided not to participate in the French Open. I've been working really hard, both on and off the court, during the last month but in order to try and play on the ATP World Tour for many years to come, I feel it's best to skip the clay court season this year and prepare for the grass and hard court seasons. The start to the year has been magical for me but I need to recognize that scheduling will be the key to my longevity moving forward. Thus, my team and I concluded today that playing just one event on clay was not in the best interest of my tennis and physical preparation for the remainder of the season. I will miss the French fans, who have always been so supportive and I look forward to seeing them at Roland Garros next year.

Strikes me that this is v. sensible - clay demands v. different technique, and makes different demands of different muscle groups.  it was always an odd risk to train mostly on HC and then to play one event on clay before two back to back grass tournaments starting immediately after RG, then Wimbledon.  He has an opportunity this year to do something historic at Wimbledon - that should be, and obviously is, his focus.

It would be fairly amazing symmetry if Fedal were to do something out of 2004-2007 (and 2012) this year.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Federer to miss Roland Garros Empty Re: Federer to miss Roland Garros

Post by summerblues Tue May 16, 2017 2:09 am

Agree it is a reasonable decision.  I was quite looking forward to seeing him at RG and seeing how well he might do there, but from his perspective it may indeed be better to give RG a miss and focus on Wimbledon/USO.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue May 16, 2017 8:18 am

I think Fed thought the knee had not stood up to the clay-court season that well last year. With 4,000 points in the bag, why risk anything this year?

Anyone notice the wrong use of word in Fed's official announcement ? He said "regrettably" he could not play. Of course, he meant to say "regretfully". Pedantic of me, I know. But it's always best to get these things write, I mean right.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Tue May 16, 2017 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding on)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue May 16, 2017 11:43 am

I wonder if Rafa's form was a factor. Realistically, he could have been looking to win the event otherwise.

Rafa looking favourite for year end no 1 at the moment.

If he can get the FO, pick up just QFs and SFs in hard court events, and then assuming that other major events are divided, that could be enough even without winning Wimbledon or the US Open.

http://live-tennis.eu/en/atp-race

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Hey HB my thoughts exactly (But then I'm the cynic) Having had such success against Rafa recently he would not want to give him a psychological advantage with Wimbers round the corner Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue May 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Clearly his heart was never really in the French Open this year. Skipping the entire clay court season was necessary for physical reasons, but he knew that he couldn't just show up at the FO and do really well, regardless of the opposition. Unlikely he would have got far enough to play Rafa, even given the 50/50 chance of them being in the same half.

Fed doesn't just think about Rafa, and vice versa. It's the fans who link them together more.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 pm

If it makes you feel happier to think that JHM  Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue May 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Murray's form makes me unhappy H-N. Federer is neither here nor there.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue May 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Well JHM I understand  where you are at.. us fans suffer more than they do ..crazy game to follow why do we do it ?? Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down