The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June

+42
cascough
DaveM
The Great Aukster
David-Douglas
Sin é
rapidsnowman
Breadvan
brennomac
marty2086
Gooseberry
Fanster
Rory_Gallagher
yappysnap
TJ
chris_501
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
Taylorman
LordDowlais
No9
BigGee
R!skysports
No 7&1/2
Hammersmith harrier
Scottrf
jimbopip
GunsGermsV2
SamTheQuin
10to15
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cyril
BamBam
beshocked
LondonTiger
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
BigTrevsbigmac
TightHEAD
Mad for Chelsea
EST
robbo277
George Carlin
46 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June - Page 2 Empty Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June

Post by George Carlin Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June - Page 2 Waikat11  Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June - Page 2 Lions_11
ChiefsBritish & Irish Lions
20 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

1993-06-29 
Waikato 38 - 10 British and Irish Lions

1983-07-12
Waikato 13 - 40 British and Irish Lions

1977-07-16
Waikato 13 - 18 British and Irish Lions

B. TEAMS:

Chiefs
1. Siegfried Fisi'ihoi (24)
2. Liam Polwart (2)
3. Nepo Laulala (11)
4. Dominic Bird (25)
5. Michael Allardice (20)
6. Mitchell Brown (14)
7. Lachlan Boshier (15)
8. Tom Sanders (19)

9. Finlay Christie (6)
10. Stephen Donald (c) (100)
11. Solomon Alaimalo (6)
12. Johnny Faauli (5)
13. Tim Nanai-Williams (82)
14. Toni Pulu (21)
15. Shaun Stevenson (21)

16. Hika Elliot (116)
17. Aidan Ross (2)
18. Atu Moli (24)
19. Liam Messam (159)
20. Mitchell Karpik (5)
21. Jonathan Taumateine (6)
22. Luteru Laulala (0)
23. Chase Tiatia (0)

British & Irish Lions
15. Liam Williams
14. Jack Nowell
13. Jared Payne
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Elliot Daly
10. Dan Biggar
9. Greig Laidlaw

8. CJ Stander
7. Justin Tipuric
6. James Haskell
5. Courtney Lawes
4. Iain Henderson
3. Dan Cole
2. Rory Best (captain)
1. Joe Marler

16. Kristian Dacey
17. Allan Dell
18. Tomas Francis
19. Cory Hill
20. Alun Wyn Jones
21. Gareth Davies
22. Finn Russell
23. Tommy Seymour

C. PREVIEW

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June - Page 2 Empty Re: Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June

Post by Scottrf Mon 19 Jun 2017, 2:01 pm

I think I'd rather even Gatland picking the team than a 10 year old. Maybe.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June - Page 2 Empty Re: Chiefs v British & Irish Lions, 20 June

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 2:23 pm

jimbopip wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I wonder if anyone will change their mind about this if we actually beat the Chiefs.

FWIW I won't.

Actually, Dave Rennie has won the first battle ahead of tomorrows game. The BBC has a link to a Kiwi paper where the Chiefs team was read out by a 10 year old fan who had e-mailed his selection to Rennie a few weeks ago. Seem s Rennie got back to him, they discussed it and agreed the 23. The lad was then invited in to meet the squad and tell them who was playing. Excellent PR.

From a Glasgow perspective, this bodes well for the next couple of seasons.

Also Stephen Jones, on Twitter, seems to be suggestiong that one Scotland player said "stuff it" to Gatland at the weekend. My money is on Little Jonny.

That's quite a snub if true.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 2:54 pm

We could do with these snubs, if true, coming out in the media. It perhaps puts some of the other call-ups into context. If players are turning the Lions down then it perhaps explains why he's gone for some of these odd selections.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

Griff wrote:We could do with these snubs, if true, coming out in the media.  It perhaps puts some of the other call-ups into context.  If players are turning the Lions down then it perhaps explains why he's gone for some of these odd selections.

Not really unless Launchbury and a host of others also turned it down.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Griff wrote:We could do with these snubs, if true, coming out in the media.  It perhaps puts some of the other call-ups into context.  If players are turning the Lions down then it perhaps explains why he's gone for some of these odd selections.

Exactly. If we're not told about the snubs then we'll never know the context for those decisions.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:08 pm

You've got to consider jones talks a lot of gibberish at the best of times too! It'll all come out in the wash, though gatland s own words say he ignored anyone other than scots and the Welsh.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:09 pm

Griff wrote:

Exactly. If we're not told about the snubs then we'll never know the context for those decisions.

We don't need to do we, the context is Gatland selecting Welsh players who aren't good enough.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:17 pm

Griff wrote:

We don't need to do we, the context is Gatland selecting Welsh players who aren't good enough.

On a couple of Twitter sources apparently Fraser Brown and Johnny Gray have snubbed the Lions call.

Can't really say I blame them since they are obviously way down the test pecking order wheras someone like Russell and Dell are only one injury away from a test spot.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:24 pm

I'd be disappointed if they did that to be honest - Lions coaches don't need any more reason not to pick Scottish players and if they've turned it down that really doesn't help our case for future tours if we get a certain reputation.

Also, 4 years is a long time in rugby and the chance to become a Lion isn't one that should be turned down readily.

This gossip could of course all be a load of Love sacks of course!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'd be disappointed if they did that to be honest - Lions coaches don't need any more reason not to pick Scottish players and if they've turned it down that really doesn't help our case for future tours if we get a certain reputation.

Also, 4 years is a long time in rugby and the chance to become a Lion isn't one that should be turned down readily.

This gossip could of course all be a load of Love sacks of course!

Yeah, none of the gossip is from what I would describe as a credible rugby source. That includes that verruca of a man Jones.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:30 pm

It's only every 4 years but it's guaranteed to represent your country vs midweek bench spot in a non-test game.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm

I would hope they wont not snub it, but if they were told that you are only coming over as bench cover for the mid week game then you can bugger off again (Which is what gatland has implied), then I can understand why they did - especially as they have the next game to complete a clean sweep of the Internationals.

If true (and it may not of course be total horlicks) then the Lions is in real trouble as a concept

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:51 pm

RDW risky dropped the Dan Biggar bomb...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
SamTheQuin wrote:But still got to support the guys, Gatland clearly only cares about the Test series and not so much on the tradition of what a Lions tour is.

Thing is really that is all he will be judged on. Should the test series be won, the tour (and thus Gats) will be deemed a success. If lost then it would be deemed a failure (certainly on Gats CV) irrespective of how well the other games went.

Of course lose the test series 3-0 and the 2021 series will again (like 2009) be a time when the "ethos" of the Lions needs to be rebuilt.

I'm not sure that's entirely right. Generally the 2009 tour was considered to be pretty successful despite a loss in the Test series, while 2013 seems to be a bit marmite with fans. Of course, you could argue the 09 SA side was much stronger than the 13 Aus one, and having a current national team head coach be responsible for the Lions in 2013 (and this tour) may also have exacerbated tribalism among fans, which didn't help. There's also the fact that the 09 tour came off the back of an unmitigated disaster in 05 when the future of the Lions was being questioned, while 13 came off the back of a pretty decent 09 tour. But overall, I think the success of a Lions tour shouldn't be reduced to whether the Test series is won. For me it's a whole host of factors including things like "ethos" and picking a bunch of club players in a pre-planned move as cannon fodder for the mid-week side doesn't help.

If we lose the test series 3-0 (with 1 thrashing), then this tour will have been worse than 2005.

It's not that test success is the only measure of success for a Lions tour (although it is the strongest), but this year a test triumph is the only way Gatland can vindicate what's gone before: initially selecting injured/out of form players; stoneage tactics; splitting the squad and losing first 2 midweek games and the call-ups on convenience not merit.

None of the decisions have sat well with the majority of the fans. If he can win a test series off the back of it, he can stick his finger up as his decisions will be vindicated. If he can't, then he has nothing to point to as a success. Unless you count an (at best) 5/2 record in the warm-ups as a successful tour.

I tend to agree that unless we win at least 1 test then this will be seen in a bad light. But this time around it's a much harder task than 2005. Not only the schedule is tougher but let's not forget that in 2005 we only played the NPC sides, not the Super Rugby sides. Much harder this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:57 pm

We simply have to move away from current international bosses.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 3:57 pm

R!skysports wrote:I would hope they wont not snub it, but if they were told that you are only coming over as bench cover for the mid week game then you can bugger off again (Which is what gatland has implied), then I can understand why they did - especially as they have the next game to complete a clean sweep of the Internationals.

If true (and it may not of course be total horlicks) then the Lions is in real trouble as a concept

Agreed with the last sentiment.

Either Gatland has snubbed the best available players, or he has alienated the best available players to the extent they snubbed the Lions. Neither reflects well.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:04 pm

Griff wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
SamTheQuin wrote:But still got to support the guys, Gatland clearly only cares about the Test series and not so much on the tradition of what a Lions tour is.

Thing is really that is all he will be judged on. Should the test series be won, the tour (and thus Gats) will be deemed a success. If lost then it would be deemed a failure (certainly on Gats CV) irrespective of how well the other games went.

Of course lose the test series 3-0 and the 2021 series will again (like 2009) be a time when the "ethos" of the Lions needs to be rebuilt.

I'm not sure that's entirely right. Generally the 2009 tour was considered to be pretty successful despite a loss in the Test series, while 2013 seems to be a bit marmite with fans. Of course, you could argue the 09 SA side was much stronger than the 13 Aus one, and having a current national team head coach be responsible for the Lions in 2013 (and this tour) may also have exacerbated tribalism among fans, which didn't help. There's also the fact that the 09 tour came off the back of an unmitigated disaster in 05 when the future of the Lions was being questioned, while 13 came off the back of a pretty decent 09 tour. But overall, I think the success of a Lions tour shouldn't be reduced to whether the Test series is won. For me it's a whole host of factors including things like "ethos" and picking a bunch of club players in a pre-planned move as cannon fodder for the mid-week side doesn't help.

If we lose the test series 3-0 (with 1 thrashing), then this tour will have been worse than 2005.

It's not that test success is the only measure of success for a Lions tour (although it is the strongest), but this year a test triumph is the only way Gatland can vindicate what's gone before: initially selecting injured/out of form players; stoneage tactics; splitting the squad and losing first 2 midweek games and the call-ups on convenience not merit.

None of the decisions have sat well with the majority of the fans. If he can win a test series off the back of it, he can stick his finger up as his decisions will be vindicated. If he can't, then he has nothing to point to as a success. Unless you count an (at best) 5/2 record in the warm-ups as a successful tour.

I tend to agree that unless we win at least 1 test then this will be seen in a bad light.  But this time around it's a much harder task than 2005.  Not only the schedule is tougher but let's not forget that in 2005 we only played the NPC sides, not the Super Rugby sides.  Much harder this time.

A 2-1 series loss would be a comparative success when looking back on 2005, agreed. It would probably rank about on par with 2001 and 2009, better in some respects (taking a test against this AB side won't be easy) and worse in others.

I guess if the series is lost, we won't be able to fully judge it until the "tell-alls" start to leak out.

Any series win would top 2013, and probably 1997 as well, because this All Blacks team is at another level. I think Gatland's hamstrung himself with a couple of the moves he's made, but if he pulls it off fair play to him.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:09 pm

There's no way we'll pull it off. Even of we had the messiah Eddie Jones or the God-like Gregor Towsned at the helm, we're chucking together a mish-mash of players from teams all ranked below the All Blacks. There's just no way I can see a series win, regardless of who is/was in charge.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:16 pm

The only Scottish players who I could imagine saying no are Ford, in that he has the t-shirt and probably just fancies getting home for the rest of the summer or potentially Nel, who may not quite get the Lions and maybe feels his long term situation might be better served by not getting totally flogged over the summer.

I can't believe that JG or FB would have said no, nor that Toonie would have encouraged them to do so. He was quoted earlier on that he hoped to see more Scottish call ups.

As others have said, it may all be a load of boll**ks, especially if it emanated from Stephen Jones.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
robbo277 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I wonder if anyone will change their mind about this if we actually beat the Chiefs.

FWIW I won't.

Actually, Dave Rennie has won the first battle ahead of tomorrows game. The BBC has a link to a Kiwi paper where the Chiefs team was read out by a 10 year old fan who had e-mailed his selection to Rennie a few weeks ago. Seem s Rennie got back to him, they discussed it and agreed the 23. The lad was then invited in to meet the squad and tell them who was playing. Excellent PR.

Also Stephen Jones, on Twitter, seems to be suggestiong that one Scotland player said "stuff it" to Gatland at the weekend. My money is on Little Jonny.

That's quite a snub if true.

Don't want to say I told you so.. but I did try on another thread (https://www.606v2.com/t65617p250-lions-reinforcements-or-why-we-should-learn-to-love-roberts - Page 6 - shown below)

No9 wrote:
EST wrote:
No9 wrote:Good God.. Shocked

What a bunch of morons on here...

The call ups are needed to cover the MIDWEEK games only, so that the possible Test players don't have to warm mid-week benches. That's makes perfect sense.

Now, with a game on Tuesday and one a week later, and with it taking over a week to get over jet lag, why would you bring any players in that would not have time to acclimatise. Hence, you bring in players already there or in neighbouring time zones.

So, what cover is needed.

1. Scrum Half - yes, only 3 on tour, need a 4th to give 2 per team breakdown. Who's the best available, simple Gareth Davies way above Ali Price or Pyrgos.

2. Fly Half - Yes, again only 3 on tour, need a 4th. Finn Russell obvious and just announced called up. Wasn't going to announce it BEFORE they played Australia or during the Lions game, so keep your hair on guys, it was just a timing thing.

The 2 call ups above also work out on experienced partnerships, ie Russell/Laidlaw and Biggar/Davies, as they are the expected midweek half-backs for the remaining games.  The still have chance to put their hands up for a Test spot, but that's going to be tough.

As for the other call-ups, not 100% sure they are needed, as there does seem to be cover in those spots, and also not sure they will feature.

But if you (English) really want to drag an English player from Argentina, at the end of a season, for them to break themselves playing in one mid-week game (as that's all they could do) then you need your head examined.

I dont think anybody is complaining about Davies or Russell, it's the other four which are terrible decisions.  Why not pick Gray over Hill?  He picked Russell, so it's obviously not the distance.

Ever thought he may have sounded Gray and the Scottish management out, and said.... "We need cover, there's no guarantee of a game, are you interested..." and Gray said "NO!!".. We do know that Russell and Davies will get games, even if off the bench, as they don't have the depth at 9 and 10, but the others may simply be for training cover, and Gats may not want to insult players like Gray for that role...

If this was earlier in the tour, even last week, with more chance of the replacements being able to have an impact, maybe I'd be more critical, but to me the decision isn't a problem. Just too many out there with bruised egos looking for a problem.

I actually predicted this happening on a thread 2 weeks ago, but cant find where I said it... (not the actual individuals called up, but the approach of calling up from the Welsh squad in NZ).

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:26 pm

BigGee wrote:The only Scottish players who I could imagine saying no are Ford, in that he has the t-shirt and probably just fancies getting home for the rest of the summer or potentially Nel, who may not quite get the Lions and maybe feels his long term situation might be better served by not getting totally flogged over the summer.

I can't believe that JG or FB would have said no, nor that Toonie would have encouraged them to do so. He was quoted earlier on that he hoped to see more Scottish call ups.

As others have said, it may all be a load of boll**ks, especially if it emanated from Stephen Jones.

I think the crux is the way they where asked.... I believe Gats made it clear, they are coming in for mid-week cover, and that he didn't say they had NO chance of making the Tests but baring injury, they would only don a mid-week jersey. Now looking at the second row, there would have to be some massive injuries to be promoted above the second row cover there is already. Not that, that hasn't happened before.

Now both Russel and Davies have a chance (slim one) but a chance of progressing, as there is little cover in those places, and one of the favourites for the test 10 spot is already carrying an injury. So worth a punt for them. But after a long season, Gray probably wants to go home if he has little chance. I still stand by the decision that dragging the English players half way round the world, when the tour is over is pointless and not good for their own welfare, which everyone seems to be ignoring.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:30 pm

Griff wrote:There's no way we'll pull it off.  Even of we had the messiah Eddie Jones or the God-like Gregor Towsned at the helm, we're chucking together a mish-mash of players from teams all ranked below the All Blacks.  There's just no way I can see a series win, regardless of who is/was in charge.

Well you lessen your chances if you throw in sub par Wales fringe players as reinforcements. Have as the head coach - someone with one of the worst records vs tri nations, have one of the worst backs coaches in international rugby in charge of the attack etc....

I think there might be some coherency in attack with Townsend or Jones in charge.

There is some respectability in the forwards because of Borthwick. Also the Lions have managed to put together a competitive pack. Still decided to leave some good forwards at home.

The backs are a shambles though.

Gatland strategy in the backs is get Halfpenny to kick goals.  Doesn't realise that having a full back whose main role is as a placekicker hampers the entire backline.

3 tries from backs in 5 games..... picard Haven't even played NZ yet. 2 tries scored by Englishmen and 1 by a Scot...... in the backs.

Compare this to the tours of England and Scotland where the tries have flowed.....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:39 pm

So, it's a Welsh thing then ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:46 pm

LordDowlais wrote:So, it's a Welsh thing then ?

Pretty much yes. Not all Welsh players have been poor though.

Webb and Faletau have been good contributors. Owens too.

I don't think a form XV would have many Welshmen though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:48 pm

beshocked wrote:

Pretty much yes.  Not all Welsh players have been poor though.

Webb and Faletau have been good contributors. Owens too.

I don't think a form XV would have many Welshmen though.

Davies and Te'o despite playing well individually are the problem for me, they just aren't able to bring the back three into things.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:48 pm

Let it drop LD.... there are SO MANY on here, would love to see the Lions lose now, just to take more shots at Gatland and the Welsh Players.. I've learned to live with it over the years, the bit that has taken me back this time is the vile words being said by past Lions. It was bad enough last time with Fester spurting vile, just because BOD was dropped, but now there are hoards of past Lions lining up to throw the boot in.

It upsets me, as this, I fear, marks the decline of respect in the game I've treasured all my life. I remember Gareth Edwards saying (cant remember exact words, so not a quote as such)... "Lions don't kick Lions".. Guess this is another fallout of the "tw@tter" age...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 4:49 pm

Even the most one eyed Lions supporter can't argue that the backs attacking play has been anything other than blunt.

The inconvinent truth is that the players who score tries for club and country being so unspeakably blunt in attack can be the fault of none other than the coaches. I'm using JD and Halfpenny as examples because they have both been integral parts of their clubs attacking skills as of late.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:03 pm

No 9 it would be nice to see the Lions win. Most of us just don't think it's possible with such a disjointed backline and an ineffectual attack coach.

I've praised Gatland's selection in the starting pack. In general it's been good.

I am wholeheartedly supportive of Faletau at 8 and if Webb is picked at 9 then fair enough.

Agree with you ruggerradge.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm

Well, if you still want a Lions win, try getting behind them. Its not the players fault, and we should support the coaching team as well as until they lose this series they are there to win it. We should play our part as fans and stop kicking them. There will be a time to do that if they fail, not now...

I don't believe for one minute that the team read this forum, but I bet some have read comments on the BBC and the media which past Lions have been putting their boot in. Those past Lions should be ashamed of themselves. As I said (misquoting Gareth Edwards) ... "Lions don't kick Lions".

All the media and arm chair warriors are doing with their comments is potentially driving a split in the touring team. Surely they realise how damaging that is.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

jimbopip wrote:
robbo277 wrote:

FWIW I won't.

Ha ha, nice. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

Not for most of us.

We will critique the other nations players just as much (Including our own Dell, who should not be anywhere near a lions shirt) - Laidlaw, who we admit is a limited player and is unlikely to be good enough to go to the test.

However, it seems that anything we disagree with, any opinions about how Gatland is managing the tour, Lion players performance (of any nationality) or tactics, suddenly become a Welsh thing.

It gets a little be tedious

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by SamTheQuin Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:15 pm

Teo and Davies both been playing really well in this series, but in all the games our back three has really been starved of ball. Out of the Welsh back three options Halfpenny is the one who has come out playing very well, am disappointed with North and Williams.

If Daly goes well tomorrow then I wouldn't be surprised to see a back three of Daly, Watson and Halfpenny, might work with the big midfield we have.

SamTheQuin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

Davies and Te'o despite playing well individually are the problem for me, they just aren't able to bring the back three into things.

I agree with this. Individually they both played well at the week-end, as indeed did Sexton. Collectively? The back three hardly touched the ball and the backline never looked like scoring a try despite having loads of front foot possession and plenty of quick ball to work with behind a dominant pack.

That has to be a worry for me going into the Tests. I don't think the Lions will win without creating something through the backline.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:17 pm

SamTheQuin wrote:Teo and Davies both been playing really well in this series, but in all the games our back three has really been starved of ball. Out of the Welsh back three options Halfpenny is the one who has come out playing very well, am disappointed with North and Williams.

If Daly goes well tomorrow then I wouldn't be surprised to see a back three of Daly, Watson and Halfpenny, might work with the big midfield we have.

If Halfpenny is picked as a test fullback this site will go into meltdown.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:21 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

I agree with this. Individually they both played well at the week-end, as indeed did Sexton. Collectively? The back three hardly touched the ball and the backline never looked like scoring a try despite having loads of front foot possession and plenty of quick ball to work with behind a dominant pack.

That has to be a worry for me going into the Tests. I don't think the Lions will win without creating something through the backline.

It doesn't help when Murray's passing from scrum half has been so off. Everyone's been going on about his world class kicking but neglecting to pick up on the passing which has contributed, at least in part, to the blunt attack. It stops everything dead. You can't blame the coaches for that. They're not coaching him to pass behind the fly half, above his head, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:21 pm

No9 wrote:Well, if you still want a Lions win, try getting behind them. Its not the players fault, and we should support the coaching team as well as until they lose this series they are there to win it. We should play our part as fans and stop kicking them. There will be a time to do that if they fail, not now...

I don't believe for one minute that the team read this forum, but I bet some have read comments on the BBC and the media which past Lions have been putting their boot in. Those past Lions should be ashamed of themselves. As I said (misquoting Gareth Edwards) ... "Lions don't kick Lions".

All the media and arm chair warriors are doing with their comments is potentially driving  a split in the touring team. Surely they realise how damaging that is.

On the contrary I'd say it's Gatland driving a split by picking a very small amount of Scottish players and picking far too many Welsh players.

It's easy for you to say get behind the Lions but imagine how tough it must be for Scotland with their paltry representation. They are effectively just there to hold tackle bags.

It's controversial to pick players not based on their rugby playing ability but geography.

England have a sizable representation, we are relatively lucky. Then again being the 2nd best side in the world - representation should be high.

It's easier to unite when we believe the selection is good.

In regards to the pack it's pretty good.

I am also happy to criticise Haskell because I don't think he's been good enough despite being English.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:29 pm

Griff wrote:
SamTheQuin wrote:Teo and Davies both been playing really well in this series, but in all the games our back three has really been starved of ball. Out of the Welsh back three options Halfpenny is the one who has come out playing very well, am disappointed with North and Williams.

Why... He hasn't done a thing wrong, the best 15 in the squad now Hogg has gone (I'd actually say he was better to start with, but that will start another torrid of attacks). He is the best option at 15 and has been attacking the line and good in defence. One shirt nailed on is Halfpenny at 15. Funny, as I'd rather see Liam Williams at 15 and Halfpenny on the wing for Wales, but Liam has not turned up on this tour, which is a pity as he was a thorn in the All Blacks side last Wales tour. Maybe he'll have a stormer tomorrow and fight for contention. I'd have Halfpenny, North and Watson as the back three. I'd also start with Sexton, Farrell (if fit) and Davies midfield. I actually think Webb has been the more attacking 9, and will cause the All Blacks more trouble, but if Sexton is 10, I'd go with Murray to start.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

Griff wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

It doesn't help when Murray's passing from scrum half has been so off. Everyone's been going on about his world class kicking but neglecting to pick up on the passing which has contributed, at least in part, to the blunt attack. It stops everything dead. You can't blame the coaches for that. They're not coaching him to pass behind the fly half, above his head, etc.

100% agree... I don't think Murray has been on form this tour, and his distribution has been slow. Webb has been far better. I'd only start Murray over Webb if Sexton has the 10 shirt, which I think he will get with Farrell carrying and injury.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

The meltdown comes with jones and Warburton.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:33 pm

No9 wrote:
Griff wrote:

Why... He hasn't done a thing wrong, the best 15 in the squad now Hogg has gone (I'd actually say he was better to start with, but that will start another torrid of attacks). He is the best option at 15 and has been attacking the line and good in defence. One shirt nailed on is Halfpenny at 15. Funny, as I'd rather see Liam Williams at 15 and Halfpenny on the wing for Wales, but Liam has not turned up on this tour, which is a pity as he was a thorn in the All Blacks side last Wales tour. Maybe he'll have a stormer tomorrow and fight for contention. I'd have Halfpenny, North and Watson as the back three. I'd also start with Sexton, Farrell (if fit) and Davies midfield. I actually think Webb has been the more attacking 9, and will cause the All Blacks more trouble, but if Sexton is 10, I'd go with Murray to start.

With Hogg out, Halfpenny is the most logical choice - Payne & Watson will have their supporters, but neither have enough time in position at international level to be serious contenders, ditto Williams.

In any case, given the 23 picked to play the Chiefs the test 23 is pretty much already known. And if Halfpenny's in the 23 he'll be starting.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:42 pm

beshocked wrote:
No9 wrote:Well, if you still want a Lions win, try getting behind them. Its not the players fault, and we should support the coaching team as well as until they lose this series they are there to win it. We should play our part as fans and stop kicking them. There will be a time to do that if they fail, not now...

All the media and arm chair warriors are doing with their comments is potentially driving  a split in the touring team. Surely they realise how damaging that is.

On the contrary I'd say it's Gatland driving a split by picking a very small amount of Scottish players and picking far too many Welsh players.

It's easy for you to say get behind the Lions but imagine how tough it must be for Scotland with their paltry representation. They are effectively just there to hold tackle bags.

It's controversial to pick players not based on their rugby playing ability but geography.

England have a sizable representation, we are relatively lucky. Then again being the 2nd best side in the world - representation should be high.

I am also happy to criticise Haskell because I don't think he's been good enough despite being English.

Have to disagree... As I have said before, and not going to repeat, as I think it needs to be put to bed... Some players where asked and turned the offer down, as they where only needed for cover. I said this on Saturday, and was laughed at... Its now becoming clearer. I just hope it can be put to bed and the tour can progress... If you are at the top of your game, you wont want to take the jersey to warm a bench. Some of the players selected realise themselves, that is what they are there for and have accepted that. As such, they will help the touring party as they know what's needed of them, rather than pick away at it, believing they are better than the job they have been asked to do. Gats was clear with them what was needed, if they don't believe they can do that, fine, I respect their decision, but would have more respect now if they simply came out and told the world they turned down the offer, so that the tour can get back on track. As for the past Lions criticising, well they have the right to reply, but statements like "devaluing the jersey" is embarrassing to hear from them. How many said that Sir Clive "devalued" the jersey by turning the 2005 tour into a England WC re-union party. Not going to say anymore on this, as I'm starting to rant, and don't want to.... I just want to support the Lions and enjoy the Tests, as this is what tis been building to, and I've been waiting for.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:48 pm

R!skysports wrote:

Not for most of us.

We will critique the other nations players just as much (Including our own Dell, who should not be anywhere near a lions shirt) - Laidlaw, who we admit is a limited player and is unlikely to be good enough to go to the test.

However, it seems that anything we disagree with, any opinions about how Gatland is managing the tour, Lion players performance (of any nationality) or tactics, suddenly become a Welsh thing.

It gets a little be tedious

clap  clap

I'll happily admit that Cole and Nowell have been cack.

I'll agree with anyone that Haskell, Marler and Daly have been average and can have no complaints that they aren't going to feature in the first Test

I'll also happily state that George, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Farrell, Mako and Watson have been among the top performers on tour and should all be in the 23

In contrast, some Welsh fans take any criticism of a Welsh player or Gatland as being a personal attack on their mother

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:53 pm

No9 wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Have to disagree... As I have said before, and not going to repeat, as I think it needs to be put to bed... Some players where asked and turned the offer down, as they where only needed for cover. I said this on Saturday, and was laughed at... Its now becoming clearer. I just hope it can be put to bed and the tour can progress... If you are at the top of your game, you wont want to take the jersey to warm a bench. Some of the players selected realise themselves, that is what they are there for and have accepted that. As such, they will help the touring party as they know what's needed of them, rather than pick away at it, believing they are better than the job they have been asked to do. Gats was clear with them what was needed, if they don't believe they can do that, fine, I respect their decision, but would have more respect now if they simply came out and told the world they turned down the offer, so that the tour can get back on track. As for the past Lions criticising, well they have the right to reply, but statements like "devaluing the jersey" is embarrassing to hear from them. How many said that Sir Clive "devalued" the jersey by turning the 2005 tour into a England WC re-union party. Not going to say anymore on this, as I'm starting to rant, and don't want to.... I just want to support the Lions and enjoy the Tests, as this is what tis been building to, and I've been waiting for.

Erm - everyone?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 19 Jun 2017, 5:54 pm

Griff wrote:

No, I think he is now the logical choice.

If Hogg had been around still and continued his improvement back to form, then there would be serious discussions between them both (about style of play)

I think 1/2p is a very good player, but just wish he was let off the leash more to attack

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:02 pm

R!skysports wrote:
Griff wrote:

If Hogg had been around still and continued his improvement back to form, then there would be serious discussions between them both (about style of play)

I think 1/2p is a very good player, but just wish he was let off the leash more to attack

All of this, but in particular the bit in bold. We need the 2013 Halfpenny now more than ever.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:02 pm

Obviously not when some are still whining about 2013.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:05 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
R!skysports wrote:
Griff wrote:

All of this, but in particular the bit in bold. We need the 2013 Halfpenny now more than ever.

I'll reserve judgement for now. But I'm pretty sure his selection will be slated by many.

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:09 pm

BamBam wrote:
No9 wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Erm - everyone?

Have increased the BOLD so that the statement is read as intended, ie, How many of the past Lions criticised Sir Clive for devaluing the jersey in 2005. Not fans..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm

Didn't really follow rugby as much back then so just typed the first name that came into my head.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.standard.co.uk/sport/welsh-hero-jpr-blasts-woodward-7172462.html%3famp

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Didn't really follow rugby as much back then so just typed the first name that came into my head.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.standard.co.uk/sport/welsh-hero-jpr-blasts-woodward-7172462.html%3famp

JPR has always been outspoken, but he has the credibility and experience to know what he's talking about. However, read the link you posted, not once did he say the Lions had been devalued or anything of the sort. He criticised a selection, but that will always be the case. Ex players, when asked for their comments will always have their own thoughts on selection as do us fans, but at no point does he slate fellow Lions or attack them saying they are devaluing the jersey, as did Guscott, Monye and Moore, never mind the ex players who have gone on the attack on tw@tter, Healy, Dawson, Dallaglio, etc..

... as I said, I'm really fed up of this, and don't want this to spoil the tour, so my last word.. censored

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next