The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

+26
profitius
Marshes
BamBam
international198
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
VinceWLB
dragon4life
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
munkian
Mrped
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
Stone Motif
marty2086
Cardiff Dave
RuggerRadge2611
PhilBB
LordDowlais
Kingshu
GavinDragon
RiscaGame
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_dragon
30 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 17 Empty Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jun 2017, 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Too early?!  Never mind.

So, big changes are afoot at Dave Parade.  There's been loads of arguments about the best way forward, the pros and cons of regional v club rugby, and I'm sure there'll be many more to come.  But what's done is done and, for now, we have a pro team at Dave Parade to support next year.  A few weeks ago even that was in jeopardy.  So moving forward...

Ownership:
So the WRU has taken over the reigns.  I'll add updates here as and when we know them, but the formal split from Newport RFC should mean 'cleaner' or more straightforward to understand revenue streams.  

Pitch:
A new one is being laid as we speak.  This original pitch has been part and parcel of the problems at RP for a number of years.  A BBC report showed it to be up there as the most used pitch pro pitch in the UK.  Something had to be done.  A fully synthetic pitch was mooted and preferred by some, a al Blues, Saracens, Glasgow, et al.  However, FA rules state that football clubs cannot play on these surfaces (probably since the AstroTurf days of Luton Town, etc.).  So it looks like a compromise has been agreed with a 4g semi-synthetic pitch, like those used by many football clubs, Swansea City/Ospreys, Millennium Stadium, Aviva Stadium, Twickenham, Murrayfield, Cardiff City stadium, etc.  A weave of synthetic fibres and real grass meaning it's easier to maintain, less prone to weather damage, but still sort of like the real thing.  This will be a real move forward and should improve the product on the field.  A bit.

Personnel:
New coach - Huw Jackman.  Comes with a good reputation for hard work and attacking rugby.  Good stuff.
Gavin Henson - I'm happy with this.  Despite his knockers, so to speak, he is still a classy club player and performed well in the English Prem with Bristol, when not injured.  Which is the crux of the issue.  Hopefully we can keep him fit for an extended run of games.
Zane Kirchner - On paper a quality player but as with a lot of good players, when they are in the twighlight of their careers and join a 'lesser' club more often than not they do not perform as expected.  Let's hope he is an exception to the rule.  Did Jackman and Kirchner play together at Leinster?

Transfers In:

Bernard 'No Pudding' Jackman - coach
Gavin Henson
Zane Kirchner

Transfers Out:
Shaun Knight
Nick Crosswell
Tom Prydie
Geraint Rhys Jones
Darren Harris
Craig Mitchell

New Badge:

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 17 Dragon10

Last edited by Griff on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:19 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 17 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

I know Howard has been covering there too, but it seems a bit strange seeing him at centre now, given that he was wing for us so often last season Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 17 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:21 pm

Wonder who will be off the books next season for us ?

I think a fair few will go.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 02 Nov 2017, 5:07 pm

munkian wrote:Wonder who will be off the books next season for us ?

Knoyle for starters. Possibly a lock and hooker. If that extra funding for squad additions is still available then BJ needs to be looking now. I also think some of the new boys could get contracts next season as they've stepped up and looked good.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:07 pm

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15636477.Benjamin_to_lead_Dragons_in_Munster_clash

Mikey is not going to be happy.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

Stone Motif wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15636477.Benjamin_to_lead_Dragons_in_Munster_clash

Mikey is not going to be happy.

I think his form warrants his place in the team for sure, he hasn't been bad at all. I'm not sure if he's captain material, and still wouldn't have him as part of BJ's masterplan XV going forward.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 03 Nov 2017, 7:39 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Knoyle for starters. Possibly a lock and hooker. If that extra funding for squad additions is still available then BJ needs to be looking now. I also think some of the new boys could get contracts next season as they've stepped up and looked good.

Yeah, I'd say Knoyle and Palamo, how long is Kirchner contracted for ?

Why'd you say lock and hooker - anyone particular in mind ? I noticed we have Gavlar listed as centre on our website - despite never having played there for us..
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Why'd you say lock and hooker - anyone particular in mind ? I noticed we have Gavlar listed as centre on our website - despite never having played there for us..

Palamo's got to be just on trial, surely??? I'm being lazy now by not Googling it but would have thought he was only brought in to see how he went.

While talking about contracts I think it's interesting what a difference a new coaching setup can make. There were players that I pinpointed for release earlier in the season that now seem to be responding well to the new setup and I'm not sure I'd ship them out now. Joe Davies is one. I didn't rate him much and just seemed like squad filler (and not a good filler at that) but he seems to be improving rapidly and Jackman seems to hold him in high regard. One to keep maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:09 pm

Palamo is on trial from Bristol, same with Robinson on trial from Bristol at Cardiff.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:13 pm

Isn't there an old fly half on our books too that's permanently crocked ?

(not Gavlar)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:35 pm

Well, whoever goes or stays I think we're in for a Fife style initiation off of Munster with that team

Last edited by Stone Motif on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Geographical)
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:55 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Well, whoever goes or stays I think we're in for a Fife style initiation off of Munster with that team

Least they are forced changes this time, not much we can do about it. The positive I guess is that Gatland obviously thinks a lot of our players not to release them.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Nov 2017, 6:01 pm

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I'd add Charlie Davies too, I just think he's too slow. I'd keep Kirchner for sure, good cover for the back 3.

I think those are the areas where we're weak. I'd get shot of Ellis and bring in someone decent- not sure who that's for BJs WRU wallet to decide. Lock I guess it would be Screech or Landman... alternatively we could keep both but also bring in another lock. Besides that we need reinforcements at LH and No 8.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 03 Nov 2017, 6:42 pm

munkian wrote:Isn't there an old fly half on our books too that's permanently crocked ?

(not Gavlar)

Macleod. Bit surprised he hasn’t been released yet.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 03 Nov 2017, 6:43 pm

gcBlues wrote:Palamo is on trial from Bristol, same with Robinson on trial from Bristol at Cardiff.

Thought Palamo was on loan, not trial. Bit surprised he hasn’t been sent back to Brizzle really. That said Dan Suter got a contract whilst being crocked.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 03 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm

munkian wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Well, whoever goes or stays I think we're in for a Fife style initiation off of Munster with that team

Least they are forced changes this time, not much we can do about it. The positive I guess is that Gatland obviously thinks a lot of our players not to release them.

I don’t doubt he rates our four, but he has only released one available player this weekend (Scott Williams), so we can’t read too much into it. Personally, I rate Dee higher than Dacey and Brown higher than Francis, but I would be surprised to see anybody other than Amos on the bench next week, given it’s Gatland picking the team.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Nov 2017, 9:45 pm

Wow great score.... I take back what I said, we'll need at least 10 new players and need them to be available all season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Wow great score.... I take back what I said, we'll need at least 10 new players and need them to be available all season.

This. It's easier to pick the players worth keeping than put together the list of those who need clearing out.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm

Quite prophetic, Stone! Taken 'Fife style'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:11 am

Griff wrote:

Quite prophetic, Stone! Taken 'Fife style'.

I must be prescient or some sh1t
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:13 am

I wish Andy Howell was covering the game tonight rather than Simon Thomas, as I’d love to see whether he’d twist the knife half as much now we are WRU owned.

Nothing changes after tonight. We have a first team that’s ok and the rest aren’t. I’m sure Jackman knows this and wouldn’t retain many bar our first team, if he could help it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:21 am

I'd bin everyone except the Wales five, Griffiths, Keddie, Hewitt, Henson, AoB, Dixon, Warren, Benjamin, Evans, Screech, Harris, Beard, one of Kirchner and Meyer, and start again.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:55 am

Stone Motif wrote:I'd bin everyone except the Wales five, Griffiths, Keddie, Hewitt, Henson, AoB, Dixon, Warren, Benjamin, Evans, Screech, Harris, Beard, one of Kirchner and Meyer, and start again.

Yeah that’s probably about right. I’d still keep Pretorious mind, we need a livewire but we also need a reliable scrum half. Blacker could be brought it as good third choice if he’s up for it, and maybe Jonny Evans wants to return home and be first choice....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 04 Nov 2017, 7:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I'd bin everyone except the Wales five, Griffiths, Keddie, Hewitt, Henson, AoB, Dixon, Warren, Benjamin, Evans, Screech, Harris, Beard, one of Kirchner and Meyer, and start again.

Yeah that’s probably about right. I’d still keep Pretorious mind, we need a livewire but we also need a reliable scrum half. Blacker could be brought it as good third choice if he’s up for it, and maybe Jonny Evans wants to return home and be first choice....

I'd take Brendan f$cking Leonard if it meant we got some power in the forwards
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 04 Nov 2017, 11:17 am

Just a quick question, why did Dragons rotate when there is a couple of weeks off ahead of them?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 04 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Just a quick question, why did Dragons rotate when there is a couple of weeks off ahead of them?

We are missing the below players plus 5 starters to the Welsh squad plus Tyler Morgan and Griffiths to Injury

Zane Kirchner - The Springbok full-back dislocated his shoulder in the victory over Connacht and won’t be seen on the park again for some three months.

Thretton Palamo - No sooner had the centre arrived on loan from Bristol to cover for injuries than he suffered a suspected broken foot!

Sam Hobbs - One of the Dragons’ best players last season, they have missed him as he has battled to recover from a knee problem.

Nic Cudd - Damaged knee ligaments in a friendly against Glasgow in August and will miss pretty much the whole season.

Harrison Keddie - Shoulder surgery will rule out the highly rated young No 8 until at least late November.

Jared Rosser - The young wing has had an abdomen problem and faces a fitness test ahead of the Blues game.

Pat Howard - Just the one outing so far this term for the versatile threequarter due to a quad problem.

Carl Meyer - The South African-born utility back hurt a thigh muscle in training this week.

Gerard Ellis - A summer signing from London Irish, the hooker had a fractured cheekbone.

Tavis Knoyle - The Welsh international scrum-half is out for the season with knee damage.

Sam Beard - Sidelined for the past month with a chest muscle injury.

Charlie Davies - Concussion is the issue for the ex-Wasps scrum-half.

Rhys Buckley - Back problem. An occupational hazard for a hooker.

Adam Hughes - A foot injury for the experienced threequarter.

Robson Blake - The young No 8 has a collarbone complaint.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Just a quick question, why did Dragons rotate when there is a couple of weeks off ahead of them?

Anglo-Welsh cup next weekend. Don't want to risk the boys against Munster Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 04 Nov 2017, 3:14 pm

To give Gwlad a reason for getting it's collective knickers in a twist this week
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 05 Nov 2017, 2:09 am

Well I said 10 new players but BJ is quoted as saying 12 new players plus getting rid of some dead wood. I read this in the Argus but apparently the guys he's looking at are "seasoned pro's" and he'll be away all of next week on a recruitment drive. The forwards coach is in charge for the Northampton game.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 05 Nov 2017, 8:45 am

So 5 front rowers, 2 seconds, 2 flanker/no 8's and a playmaker 9/10/12 depending on where he wants one?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 05 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm

Yeah, the defence coach is in charge. Interesting move really, but seeing as away games aren’t our thing, I can see the logic behind it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 05 Nov 2017, 4:42 pm

Drags underclubbed, so I understand.
Thought Gwent had loads though.
Confused.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 4:49 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Drags underclubbed, so I understand.
Thought Gwent had loads though.
Confused.

Loads of what?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 6:40 pm

3 new players according to scrum v: Ryan Bevington, Rhodri Williams, Jordan Williams.

What do we all reckon?

Personally, I'm quite happy with this. Always thought Bevibgton was a good player when at the Ospreys. Think he'll add to us. Was always a big fan of Rhodri Williams too. I'm not sure about Jordan Williams. Always felt he was like Matthew Morgan - great feet but a bit small for this level. But overall I think they'll be better than what we already have so that's a bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 05 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

Ryan Bevington are you kidding me... Rolling Eyes the guy could never scrum so how can we be serious about strengthening the pack with this addition? Unless of course he's considered third choice and we have more LHs coming in? As far as I can tell there isn't any LH from our academy to step up either. I always liked both the Williams', both very good attacking players. They'll add to squad depth for sure but I don't really see anything significant enough to help us into the Pro14 top 4.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 05 Nov 2017, 7:51 pm

Not sure how much I should read into this but Moriarty is also a prime target. He would be a great acquisition but apparently the Scarlets are also interested, Barclay rumoured to be off back to Scotland too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Not sure how much I should read into this but Moriarty is also a prime target. He would be a great acquisition but apparently the Scarlets are also interested, Barclay rumoured to be off back to Scotland too.

Moriaty would be mad to join the Dragons, as much as it pains me to say so. He's in his prime, at his peak. Why would he join a 'towards the bottom of the league club' who play in the 2nd tier Euro comp? That would be a hell of a leap of faith on his part. Won't happen , IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 05 Nov 2017, 9:28 pm

Can’t pretend I’m excited by Jordan Williams. Always thought of him as a Matthew Morgan player too. Might score one fantastic try, or make a class break but just as likely to concede more than he scores.

In terms of our first team, I guess we have a space for him at present, given Hewitt and Amos are nailed on when fit and maybe Zane at 15 is the place he could jump ahead of (Williams wing, Amos 15). I still can’t go too mad.

Kind of frustrating mind, that we were probably linked to all three when they moved to Megabucks and again we have had to wait. I never begrudge a player making a buck, but when you’re joining a championship club I find it a bit more irritating.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

Bevington is utter sh1t
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:43 pm

I really don't get Jordan Williams either. This stinks of the WRU just bringing random players home for sh1ts and giggles. Rhodri is an upgrade though.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:46 am

The three are all decent signs. Bevington And Rhodri should be first 23 players. And Jordan has a fair bit over veritilitt, and could be a decent signing given that Amos will be away with Wales for hefty chunks of the season (and seems to pick up injuries too).

Moriarty is an inteeesting one. If the Dragons carry on as they have been going, and also make some more sensible signings, then I could see the appeal for him. He could be the player who helps them move to being a team that are fighting for the top trot of Europe. And if the WRU make promises that it won’t risk his chances of selection, then maybe being the top dog in the squad could be a pull.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Nov 2017, 8:36 am

I'd prefer Jon Evans back Very Happy

If Bev stays fit he could be Ok squad cover. Don't get Jordan Williams - we have a lot of young exciting backs - its forwards we need.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:14 am

So the dragon's tactic to improve their fortunes is to sign players that are no better than the quality they already have?

Wasting the little (legitimate) money they have.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:42 am

gcBlues wrote:So the dragon's tactic to improve their fortunes is to sign players that are no better than the quality they already have?

Yeah, we should do exactly what the Blues are doing
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:The three are all decent signs.  Bevington And Rhodri should be first 23 players.  And Jordan has a fair bit over veritilitt, and could be a decent signing given that Amos will be away with Wales for hefty chunks of the season (and seems to pick up injuries too).

Moriarty is an inteeesting one.  If the Dragons carry on as they have been going, and also make some more sensible signings, then I could see the appeal for him.  He could be the player who helps them move to being a team that are fighting for the top trot of Europe.  And if the WRU make promises that it won’t risk his chances of selection, then maybe being the top dog in the squad could be a pull.

Depressingly, you're right about Bevington. He's useless though, may as well bring Phil Price in out of the cold if we want a non-scrummaging prop who shows up in the loose occassionally
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

Stone Motif wrote:
gcBlues wrote:So the dragon's tactic to improve their fortunes is to sign players that are no better than the quality they already have?

Dragonology and Bluesology; both a bit mad and a bit scary, but there we are.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:06 am

Fully agree with the comparison with Phil Price.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

Except RB being more expensive by virtue of his 15 caps I spect
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Which is?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

gcBlues wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Which is?

Open top bus tour for beating Zebre ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 06 Nov 2017, 11:41 am

munkian wrote:
gcBlues wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Which is?

Open top bus tour for beating Zebre ?

Shrine to PhilBB including his mummified left testicle and the holy text of his collective works to be constructed?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next