The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+14
navyblueshorts
robopz
puligny
I'm never wrong
pedro
beninho
Davie
wiretapper
super_realist
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
Be_the_ball
GPB
kwinigolfer
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Let's start though with the US Open. Rather like Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka has all the "tools", at least when he's putting well, and perhaps in hindsight Erin Hills was made for him. Even though ultimately the dominating manner of his back-nine sprint away from the field was a surprise.
He's the seventh consecutive first-time Major winner and, apart from Stenson, I'd say the most impressive. And I'd also say as likely as anyone to earn a second Major pretty darn soon.

2).Along with Koepka, Erin Hills was the star of the show - hit or miss?
After the foreboding beforehand, the players seemed to love the course; some tut-tutting about the width of the fairways, and whether the set-up turned the US Open into a PGA, or even an Open Championship without wind, but consensus suggested they'd be in favour of returning, though that's unlikely for at least ten years.
Purely as an armchair spectator I didn't think the course flowed that well, especially as the set-up on some holes changed from day to day.
The USGA certainly didn't get the weather they bargained for, but Wisconsin in mid-June is never likely to be as firm and fast as they'd want. We haven't heard much about Chambers Bay since the 2015 fiasco, so it'll be interesting to hear what the USGA has to say in the next few weeks.

3).Did we learn anything about favourite golfers during the week? The loss of Johnson, McIlroy, Stenson, Scott, Day, Rose, Rahm etc on Friday suggests the course takes some learning and don't think I'd read too much into their missed cuts.
Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler will be disappointed in their final result, but you can't take their best rounds away from them; they'll be back.

4).Was impressed by Tommy Fleetwood, matched Koepka in everything but length until the very end. Dodgy shots didn't seem to faze him and hope that form continues.
Snedeker played well and he's a bit of a streak player - could quite fancy him this week.
Lingmerth another streaky golfer who is worth watching.
And Well Done to Eddie Pepperell; to go from losing your card to 16th in the US Open is pretty stout.
Russell Henley fell asleep on the back nine Sunday, plus 8 over 4 holes, otherwise he'd've been in line for a top ten. Good player, getting better fast.

5).The US TV coverage was awful; they never seemed to get their audio right except for the self-inflating anchor, Joe Buck. Quite funny at the end when he mis-identified Koepka's piece of skirt - reminds me of long ago US TV Football commentaries when the t0ssp0t commentator in an LA studio was obviously doing his work with a Rothmans Football Yearbook open on his lap!
Anyway, Azinger who's so good usually was often muffled (or perhaps muzzled) and the on-course hacks' sound was even worse. No flow, incapable of properly telling the story.

6).This week is the final chance to earn exemption to the Open Championship via the:
~Top 20 FedEx points, not otherwise exempt: Harman, Steele, Henley, Hughes are the potential qualifiers right now. Swafford next in line & Charley Hoffman, always seemingly the odd man out, needs a big finish. He's up to #49 in the owgr's but looks likely to miss out.
~Top 20 Race To Dubai not otherwise exempt: Levy, Zanotti, Larrazabal, Fritelli, Lipsky in the qualifying places right now, with Burmester, Eddie Molinari, Storm, Dunners needing top results this week.

7).So, on to Hartford, Connecticut, The Travelers Championship and TPC River Highlands and one of the year's shortest courses, about 6,850 yards. The course received a facelift last year but wasn't lengthened - there's only a couple of places for extra yards, but it's still a decent test despite Furyk's 58 in the fourth round last year. Conditions then were perfect and very well could be this Thursday as well, warm, not much wind and the course has been softened by recent rain.

8).Bubba Watson has won twice here (and so has Mickelson), but then short hitters Duke and, last year, Russell Knox have won also.
Justin Thomas rocketed up last year's leaderboard with a Sunday 62 and, if there's one thing we've learned this year, Justin can go low.
The field has its high spots, McIlroy, Day, Spieth, Thomas, Reed, Power, but this also represents something of golf's version of the dog days of summer, with Hartford followed by the Quicken Loans, Greenbrier and John Deere, largely playing second fiddle, for European interests anyway, to action in Europe.
There's no Shane Lowry, no Andrew Johnston and no Soren Kjeldsen and their run at the FedEx play-offs is in serious trouble. The Open Championship will give them all a chance, and Soren and Shane will certainly be in the PGA, but all three must wonder where their "double dipping" will get them. Johnston never seemed to commit himself to the Tour, not sure where his career goes now.

9).Furyk is grouped with Harman and McIlroy for Rounds 1 and 2, so that will offer contrasting styles!
Harrington is back from his injury - always a very popular figure at The Travelers; haven't heard if he's applying for a medical "extension" but presumably he will.
In a nice twist of coincidence, journeyman Bob Heintz used to be a regular here, but if anyone's going to squeeze a 57 variety I'd go for Thomas.

10).Don't have much of a sense of a likely winner, but I'd kinda fancy the chances of Sneds, Berger and possibly Harris English (each way), as he seems to have finally woken up.
Looking forward to following the Round 1 action.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:21 am

Ooh, relief for Rory.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: 58 Last Year in Hartford - Can I Hear 57?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:26 am

Rorys inability to put together consistent rounds again proving his undoing..makes the weekend but lots to improve. His ability to hit the ball so far would be great if he could take advantage...but when he drives the green in one he 3 putts and when he drives to within 70yds his approach leaves plenty to be desired.

Furyk very consistent again, feel he will be there or there abouts come Sunday. Reed looked impeccable at times today and also decent "hold together rounds" from Harrington and Spieth.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Jun 2017, 1:01 am

Would have thought Saturday will be something of a test of Rory's character. There'll be a 5-hour round, pretty much at the back of the bus; he knows he can go low, only eight shots off the lead.
He was reading all his own putts on Thursday, didn't call JP in at all. Not sure if that's their usual M.O. but interesting to notice that, then look at how caddies and players interact. Furyk was checking ALL Fluff's yardages, but almost always brought him in on the greens - Goosen and his (long-time) caddie scarcely spoke. And that's their M.O.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:17 am

Bizarre story of Jason Day signing an incorrect scorecard at The Travelers. And that means he misses (avoids?) the cut.
Playing with Justin Thomas (who played the first two rounds in a funk) and Patrick Reed (who seemed very competitive, and it showed) one of whom must have been complicit . . . . .
*In a genuine mistake.
or,
*Making a hamfisted excuse for a weekend off.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:46 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:I see that 3M are offering proposals to upgrade their Champions Tour event in the Minneapolis are to a full PGA Tour tournament.
Realistically, because of climate, that can't happen much before the US Open or after late September so perhaps they've sussed out a weak link among the Tour's summer sponsors? Quicken Loans?? The event that Tiger originally invented seems to have lost its lustre.
Otherwise, perhaps it could be a Play-Off entry, but that wouldn't fit with the notion of Play-Off  tournaments being reduced from 4 to 3.

Amid the speculation is the sense that the Tour's current sponsorship situation is pretty solid, apart from "Houston" and Colonial.
Quickens 4-year sponsor commitment to the "national" ends next week. Not heard anything about a renewal yet.  Wouldn't surprise me if they bailed or took another event like Houston.  Not to pile on, but if the supposed tournament host, management company owner and charity namesake can't keep himself healthy enough physically or mentally to attend his own event... Then why should a sponsor want to?  Besides, with the Rolex series up and going, the prospect for any decent dual tour players or even decent numbers of top PGAT players is basically shot for the QL, Greenbrier.

Rickie Fowler and Patrick Reed are the headliners at next week's Quicken Loans - not a great field (again) but perhaps better than last year's? Highlight is return of Charlie Howell from injury. No notable European surprises in the field - as robo suggests, they're all in Europe, but Seamus Power will be there, a tournament he might not have expected to get in to, so a bonus there.

80+ Travelers made the cut in Hartford, so there'll be some "MDF'ers" following Round 3. I see the European Tour has now adopted a similar rule, which seems sensible.
Hoping for a pair of weekend 63's from Rory and we'll see where that gets him . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:34 pm

Kwini - Ellis 4 down with 5 to play, and wins on 38th hole!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:80+ Travelers made the cut in Hartford, so there'll be some "MDF'ers" following Round 3. I see the European Tour has now adopted a similar rule, which seems sensible.
But they have a weird way of showing it on the ET website. Those that MDF are listed not at the bottom of the players who made the cut, but in amongst those that missed the cut for the weekend.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Jun 2017, 6:54 pm

Wow, Hope PFC are suitably inspired thumbsup

Looks a lovely Saturday at Hartford, but no-one really tearing it up. Casey & Harrington treading water, but at least Rory has an early bird, hopefully the platform for plenty more.

Inw,
Re:European web site: Don't you think that's a sign that whoever designed that site hasn't a clue about golf; I get the sense that some features are slowly being restored but still haven't found full "results", including prizemoney, for tournaments it should cover. A few steps forward in terms of graphics, a few more steps back in terms of content - including their running blog which I can't now find.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Inw,
Re:European web site: Don't you think that's a sign that whoever designed that site hasn't a clue about golf and web design; .
Fixed it for you.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:56 pm

Agree Kwini. Unlike you, I only look at results, but for someone like yourself who needs more, must be fustrating.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 24 Jun 2017, 9:47 pm

I wonder if Rory's putter will be binned after this tournament? Commentators were reporting yesterday that Rory said the putter was "On Notice"

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

INW, word has it he used 5 putters in practice before yesterdays round. Played the TP Mullen today apparently. For the bin, get Scotty back in the bag he can't take liberties in that area. He's such a good ball striker he can be an average putter and still clean up.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:44 pm

Yup, Different putter today, and he's brought JP in a few times too. Two strokes lost putting despite the changes.

3 bogeys in St.Padraig's final five holes not what he wanted. Bounce back tomorrow.
He was playing with Furyk who's in at -3 - and probably thinking a 58 tomorrow will win this going away . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

Well underway on a lovely day in Hartford, Rory two under par over his opening four holes, 100% on drives-in-fairway, gir and putts less than 10 feet.

On the Champions Tour, Paul Broadhurst carries the lead into the final round of the Steve Stricker-inspired event in Wisconsin. Always liked Broadhurst (fond memories of his efforts at Kiawah) and he's making a name for himself all over again with the Seniors. Good luck to him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 4:37 pm

Rory going low; a couple of days too late maybe, but good to see. One fairway missed thru' 14 holes, no greens missed and actually made a 15-footer with no really short misses. What might have been.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 5:25 pm

Oh Rory . . . . . . .

I reckon he'll have a fantastic summer if/when he gets his putter sorted out. Apparently another different one today, three in three days.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 25 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

Kwini - think we have to factor in rust? Rory is superb ball striker but streaky putter, and without playing enough it's the short game and putting that seems to go. Needs reps - gains nothing from long lay-offs, whether enforced or not! 2 out of 3 for Irish Scottish and The Open Championship.
In other news, apparently Aussie lad won 4 consecutive holes early in round 2 to go 4 up - then bogeyed 4 of last 5. Ouch! Going to Walton Heath to watch a couple of days of European Am next week - 4 rounds strokeplay.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 5:52 pm

Definitely agree with that - one thing I hadn't appreciated is that apparently he's played practice rounds at TPC River Highlands even though never played a tournament there. Anyway, I'd never seen Rory play anything more than a hole here or there, and I was duly impressed - sadly no v2 interview to match the 606 one I scored seven years ago in Charlotte!

Sneds going well at last, but too little too late. My thoughts for the week now in the hands of Daniel Berger!

Imagine Walton Heath is a fun match-play course - sounds like a good couple of days.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:25 pm

C'mon Jordan ... a fine start to what I hope is a winning day.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:38 pm

Not so fast Shotrock, Don't forget: Boo Knows Golf!

Still plenty of time for Casey to set 'em alight - wonder if any Tour winner has ever won more money without winning again?

Who knows what he'll do over the last three holes, but thrilled to see Hunter Mahan creeping into the Top Ten Very popular man in Hartford, good to have you back again Hunner.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Not so fast Shotrock, Don't forget: Boo Knows Golf!

Still plenty of time for Casey to set 'em alight - wonder if any Tour winner has ever won more money without winning again?

Who knows what he'll do over the last three holes, but thrilled to see Hunter Mahan creeping into the Top Ten Very popular man in Hartford, good to have you back again Hunner.

Watched the interview between Tim Barter and Boo Weekley last night. Genuine top man and I'd love to see him win. Can't understand why his parents named him after a ghost magazine though!! He's just gone in Casey's nightmare bunker; I do hope there are no ghosts still in there!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm

Charley Hoffman in contention again; reckon that a top 3 would get him to Birkdale, kicking Mackenzie Hughes out of the FedEx Top 20. Very close!

Boo needs to start making putts again . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm

Agree with you Kwini, great to see from Hunter!

Spieth's putting has been quite poor today (as it has been for most of the year with the standards he sets himself)

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:20 pm

If Mr Congeniality wins this, he'll never have a more fortunate "W".

Where is that 58 when you need it?

Fred Couples won the Champions event, Broady slipping to 5th. Still a good result going in to the Senior US Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

I'm guessing the Open Championship qualifiers will be unchanged from last week - not completely sure about the E.T. but pretty certain about the PGA Tour's exemption for Harman, Steele, Henley & Hoffman. Unlucky for Hughes whose final round 66 today was probably one stroke short.

Weekley "lost" more than 3 strokes on the greens. And is 3 strokes out of the play-off.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:23 pm

Well, when you're putting is rubbish, just hole out from the bunker.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:29 pm

Just like his first win at John Deere..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:39 pm

Incredible from Spieth!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:58 pm

As Kwini predicted - a big lucky W for Spieth, seems like neither  'Boo' nor anyone else could frighten him off today!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 26 Jun 2017, 2:03 am

I've met Boo and actually spent some time with him. He was a really nice and engaging person. This planet could use more people like him (IMO) And, as always, please see me for proper -- harumph, harump -- naming conventions.

Well done Jordan. A nice "W"!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

God or science Jordan?

Tbh I don't blame Spief for being religious after what happened yesterday. And I'm not only thinking of the playoff but also his R4 near misses.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

I did wonder if Rev Gordon was a flash in the pan. Seems this might represent a bit of a comeback.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:54 am

13 worldwide wins so far and 2 this year. More than a flash Gordon I'm afraid.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:22 am

OK, more of a Harrington vanishing act then.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:49 am

Spieth enjoyed a season-full of good fortune yesterday over his final seven holes - the harder you work, the better you get, the luckier you become. All exemplified in a 2-hour period.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 Jun 2017, 2:55 pm

PGA of America Player of the Year Update.

60 Justin Thomas
52 Dustin Johnson
52 Jordan Spieth
46 Hideki Matsuyama
46 Sergio Garcia
40 Brooks Koepka
38 Rickie Fowler
28 Jon Rahm
20 Marc Leishman
20 Si Woo Kim
16 Brian Harman
14 Kevin Kisner
12 Daniel Berger

A players gets 10 pts for a win, 20 pts if it is the Players Championship and 30 pts if it is a Major.

In addition, a player gets 20 bonus pts if he is leading the Money List, 18 for 2nd, 16 for 3rd, all the way down to 2 pts for being 10th on the money list

Furthermore, the same schedule applies to the top 10 players in the Vardon Scoring average.

For example, Justin Thomas has 16 pts for being 3rd on the money money list, and 14 pts for being 4th in Vardon Ranking.

30 pts for 3 wins at 10 pts apiece
16 pts for 3rd money list
14 pts for 4th in Vardon
---
60 pts total.

There is a another bonus for winning two majors in a season. (think it is 50 pts, not applicable this year, yet)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Mon 26 Jun 2017, 3:09 pm

Yeah one of the worst winning final rounds I've seen. Even his first two shots in the play-off were terrible but the third was that little bit of magic that gave him the W his play over the first three days deserved.

Which takes him over Sergio, Jason, and Rory and back into the OWGR Top 3. Berger is up to 18 which I think is the first time he has broken into the Top 20. Personally I don't think it will be long before he is pushing the top 10 and then even further. Real talent there.

Quick word on Paul Casey. He hasn't won since the 2014 KLM but hasn't been outside the top 30 in over two years. That's some pretty consistent golf although I do think he should be winning more with what he has.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Jun 2017, 3:24 pm

GPB,
Is the PGA POTY a PGA award or for the PGA Tour?
If it's a PGA gong I am surprised that it appears to encompass 2016 "fall" events.
Any calculation for calendar year 2017 excellence that doesn't have Dustin Johnson #1 is inherently flawed!

Confirmation of Open Championship tickets to:
Fritelli, Larrazabal, Levy, Lipsky, Zanotti
Harman, Henley, Hoffman, Steele
Harry Ellis.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

There are two PotY awards, from the PGA of America which is objectively point based, as outlined above. And it includes the fall season from 2016.

The PGATour PotY is based on subjective Player Votes.

Historically, the Player vote matches the leader of the Point race.

However, it is not unreasonable to think that DJ is the de facto leader in the point vote. With Two WGCs and the LA Open. On the other hand, he has been a total non-factor in the first two majors of the year, DNP and MC.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2