The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa - test series thread

+33
Hibbz
Jetty
LionsV2
NickisBHAFC
GSC
eirebilly
compelling and rich
VTR
LondonTiger
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
Galted
Mad for Chelsea
LivinginItaly
Dolphin Ziggler
sirfredperry
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dummy_half
wisden
Mat
KP_fan
JDizzle
Nathaniel Jacobs
msp83
king_carlos
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
James100
alfie
Hammersmith harrier
Gooseberry
Good Golly I'm Olly
37 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 21 Empty England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

First topic message reminder :

In the fast paced nature of international cricket, we are just over a week away from the first of four test matches between SA and England - should be a good one.

South Africa have named their squad...missing some big names in Steyn, ABDV - also no Dane Piedt, Stephen Cook either.

South Africa squad: Faf du Plessis (captain), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Dean Elgar, Heino Kuhn, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Duanne Olivier, Andile Phehlukwayo, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.

Still a very strong team - especially in the seam bowling ranks. Although with Faf missing the first test, the batting is reliant on Amla and De Kock I feel

England have a few injury concerns - particularly Stuart Broad - any thoughts on the SA squad, and potential England one?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 21 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by sirfredperry Thu 10 Aug 2017, 6:34 pm

The SA series was cathartic. For years after their readmission to Test cricket South Africa had average players who played well above their ability at Test level while England would pick guys who performed nowhere near their potential.
   Come 2017 and finally, SA play poorly while some of the England guys - Ali, TRJ -  have exceptional series. It should be remembered, however, that SA were missing their best batsman and their best bowler. Bit like neither Root nor Anderson playing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 21 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by alfie Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:44 am

Well I suppose it is true that SA were denied the services of Steyn and ABDV.
But I think Steyn is effectively finished in any case ; and given the waffle we are hearing from de Villiers I wonder if he is likely to return at all - and how effective he will be if he does.
Think SA are going to have to build on the players they had here ; which is no disaster in terms of the bowling. Get Philander fit and the attack looks pretty good (Maharaj quite possibly the best spinner
they've had since re-admission )
Batting another matter : badly need a new opener...nice to see its not just England Smile
And will have to settle where to bat de Kock (six would be my choice in this team) and who to fill the part time bowler spot if they've moved on from Duminy. Otherwise they have to keep playing five bowlers which is not ideal as the very able Philander is just a little too high at seven - as is Morris.
I'm sure kingraf will have some ideas...and I'm also sure they will unearth some new talent pretty quickly.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21