The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre Season Friendlies

+20
21st Century Schizoid Man
geoff999rugby
englishborn
VinceWLB
Luckless Pedestrian
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
munkian
Welly
Geordie
mikey_dragon
George Carlin
LordDowlais
St John The Enforcer
Kingshu
RiscaGame
wayne
Scottrf
LondonTiger
ScarletSpiderman
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pre Season Friendlies - Page 2 Empty Pre Season Friendlies

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 26 Jun 2017, 3:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seeing as most teams are now begging their pre-season training, does anyone have news of any pre-season fixtures?

5th August
Bristol 19 V 33 Harlequins - Saturday 5th August
http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/report-bristol-rugby-19-33-harlequins/

11th/12 August
Bristol 31 V 34 Bath - Weekend Of 11th August
http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/report-bristol-rugby-31-34-bath-rugby/

Ospreys 14 V 21 Leicester - Friday 11th August (Bridgend)
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/ospreys-14-21-leicester-tigers-13466978

Montpellier 40 v 15 Dragons - Friday 11th August
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/montpellier-40-15-dragons-welsh-13466843

USA Perpignan 42 V 32 Leinster Rugby – Friday 11th August
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/perpignan-42-leinster-32/

Northampton 71 v 21 Dragons - Saturday 12th August
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/northampton-saints-71-21-dragons-13469008

Scarlets 82 V 12 Scarlets Premiership Select - Saturday 12th August
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-82-premiership-select-xv-13469331

Newcastle 31 V 8 Nottingham - Sarurday 12th August
http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/match/falcons-49-nottingham-19

Newcastle 49 V 19 Doncaster - Saturday 12th August
http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/match/newcastle-falcons-31-doncaster-knights-8

Sale 31 V 14 Castre - Saturday 12th August
http://www.salesharks.com/news/5322.php#.WZGaZVGGOUl

17th-19th August
Northampton V Nottingham - Thursday 17th August
Ulster Rugby V Wasps - Thursday 17th August
Ospreys V Bath - Weekend of 18th August
Leicester V Treviso - Friday 18th August
Leinster Rugby V Gloucester Rugby – Friday 18th August
Bristol V Scarlets - Saturday 19th August
Exeter Cheifs V Dragons - Saturday 19th August
London Scottish v Cardiff Blues - Saturday 19th August
Glasgow V Northampton - Saturday 19th August
Newcastle V Rotherham - Saturday 19th August

23rd - 26th August
Wasps V Connacht Rugby – Wednesday 23 August
Leicester V Ospreys - Friday 25th August.
Northampton V Ulster  - Friday 25th August
Cardiff Blues v Exeter Chiefs - Friday 25th August
Gloucester Rugby V  Scarlets - Friday 25th August
Leinster Rugby V Bath Rugby – Friday 25th August
Dragons V Glasgow - Friday 25th August
Edinburgh V Newcastle - Friday 25th August
Connacht V Bristol - Staurday 26th August
Doncaster V Newcastle - Saturday 26th August

Not sure what is going on with midweek fixtures though seems pretty weird.

(I'll update this as and when Fixtures are known, and results come in)

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:59 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated with the score)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Pre Season Friendlies - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre Season Friendlies

Post by wayne Sat 12 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I imagine he was part of the exile program? Tigers have always had a good academy, I'm not at all worried about Welsh players going there, it's just I don't think he'd break into the Wales team unless he becomes a very good No 8.

If he becomes a very good 8 he'll be popular at Tigers as well. We haven't had a 6/ come through into the academy for some time. 

Speaking of academy 8's anyone know how Fred Tuilagi got on against Ospreys? Good to hear Joe Ford played well, his signing had a lukewarm reception with the fans.

Sam, he put in a few good hits, and carried fairly well, but this bloke sat next to me wanted Hamilton on, and he came on for Freddy, he said the 3rd try was down to Luke, Freddy came back on for an injury later on.
Sam I went down there with lots of wet weather gear, your fan was there in shorts and no gear, a real good bloke, shook hands at the end. He stayed overnight at the local Premier Inn, a good set of people around me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 12 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I imagine he was part of the exile program? Tigers have always had a good academy, I'm not at all worried about Welsh players going there, it's just I don't think he'd break into the Wales team unless he becomes a very good No 8.

If he becomes a very good 8 he'll be popular at Tigers as well. We haven't had a 6/ come through into the academy for some time. 

Speaking of academy 8's anyone know how Fred Tuilagi got on against Ospreys? Good to hear Joe Ford played well, his signing had a lukewarm reception with the fans.

Sam, he put in a few good hits, and carried fairly well, but this bloke sat next to me wanted Hamilton on, and he came on for Freddy, he said the 3rd try was down to Luke, Freddy came back on for an injury later on.
Sam I went down there with lots of wet weather gear, your fan was there in shorts and no gear, a real good bloke, shook hands at the end. He stayed overnight at the local Premier Inn, a good set of people around me.

Some people are ever optimistic about the weather. Luke Hamilton is a fan favourite at Tigers, he tackles everything and empties the tank for the team. In the game against Bath last season he hammered Falatau all over Twickenham in the first half (sadly Falatau managed to turn up in the second half). I'm hopeful Big Fred will offer something different, barnstorming ball carries and game changing big hits. Sort of like his uncle Henry used to give us.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 2:15 pm

Which chump booked Gwent Dragons in to play on Friday AND Saturday on the same weekend?! It's not like we're a strong team with an abundance of playing resources!  So a weak squad split in half with one lot sent to Montpellier and one lot sent to Northampton. Result: a pummelling from Montpellier yesterday. I expect the same against Saints today, unfortunately. And what will we learn from this?! Confidence likely dashed ahead of a tough seeason. Doh!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 12 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

Griff wrote:Which chump booked Gwent Dragons in to play on Friday AND Saturday on the same weekend?! It's not like we're a strong team with an abundance of playing resources!  So a weak squad split in half with one lot sent to Montpellier and one lot sent to Northampton. Result: a pummelling from Montpellier yesterday. I expect the same against Saints today, unfortunately. And what will we learn from this?! Confidence likely dashed ahead of a tough seeason. Doh!

Exactly. The only reason I can think of is so Jackman could have more questions about his team answered - hopefully the cuts out the useless performers rather than keep starting them over our better players.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Griff wrote:Which chump booked Gwent Dragons in to play on Friday AND Saturday on the same weekend?! It's not like we're a strong team with an abundance of playing resources!  So a weak squad split in half with one lot sent to Montpellier and one lot sent to Northampton. Result: a pummelling from Montpellier yesterday. I expect the same against Saints today, unfortunately. And what will we learn from this?! Confidence likely dashed ahead of a tough seeason. Doh!

Exactly. The only reason I can think of is so Jackman could have more questions about his team answered - hopefully the cuts out the useless performers rather than keep starting them over our better players.

For me pre-season games should be about trying out the combos so that you can hit the ground running in the first game of the season. But splitting the squad in two has resulted in two teams that are unlikely to feature together as a team in the coming season so it seems a bit pointless. Yes some individual combos will be tried out but not a team run out. I appreciate that there are other pre season games to give the main team a hit out but getting whooped pre-season sometimes sets the tone. If this was pre-planned (to split the squad and play twice in 2 days) then I'd have preferred slightly weaker opposition! Welsh premiership or English championship, for example.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:23 pm

So when Dan Suter gets on one of his contributions' is to help our pack concede a try from a scrum in our 22. Hopefully that's his trial over with, unbelievable signing Rolling Eyes.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

So that one ended 71-21 to Northampton. Saints changed their entire team for the 2nd half, both teams they had out look pretty good on paper. A lot of what seems like academy players for us and probably a lot of questions unanswered - most idiotic fixture scheduling ever.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:21 pm

Quins just beat Irish and interestingly Marcus Smith started and played well. Showed good speed and a step for a break and set up a try with a cross field kick. One to look out for this season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 12 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins just beat Irish and interestingly Marcus Smith started and played well. Showed good speed and a step for a break and set up a try with a cross field kick. One to look out for this season.

Presumably in the LV. He's had a good list of mentors, George Ford when England trained at his school, Nick Evans at Quins and Wilko at the England training camp. Good to see another quality playmaker on the way through, we're developing a nice embarrassment of riches.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:22 pm

Scarlets 82 -12 Scarlets premier select XV. Seemedcoretty much what you'd expect from a 2nds v 3rds game. Asquith bagged 3 on his debut, and his birthday too. So I guess that will help him push for main squad status. A few of the younger forwards supposedly did well. And Simon Gardener made his return to the fold too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:41 am

Spidey - is there any way that you could update the OP as the results come in?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:23 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets 82 -12 Scarlets premier select XV.  Seemedcoretty much what you'd expect from a 2nds v 3rds game.  Asquith bagged 3 on his debut, and his birthday too.  So I guess that will help him push for main squad status.  A few of the younger forwards supposedly did well.  And Simon Gardener made his return to the fold too.

Interesting. How many of yesterdays Scarlets team will be playing most of their rugby in the PSXV for the coming season? 82-12 is ridiculous, you can't expect that team to be a feeder for a pro team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:51 pm

George I'll get onto it tomorrow at work (but won't be able to do the next two weeks until after the bank hols as I'll be away, as a mod could you do it for me?)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

Mikey the 'Scarlets' team was basically to LV/B&I team and the prem-select were people who hope to push on this season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 14 Aug 2017, 8:55 am

Match Reports For The Opening Weekend Of Friendlies (Will add these to OP shortly)

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/report-bristol-rugby-19-33-harlequins/

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/report-bristol-rugby-31-34-bath-rugby/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/ospreys-14-21-leicester-tigers-13466978

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/montpellier-40-15-dragons-welsh-13466843

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-match-reports/northampton-saints-71-21-dragons-13469008

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-82-premiership-select-xv-13469331

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/perpignan-42-leinster-32/

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/match/newcastle-falcons-31-doncaster-knights-8

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/match/falcons-49-nottingham-19
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Aug 2017, 9:52 am

Spidey, you're a ledge mate.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:21 pm

wayne wrote:

Some people are ever optimistic about the weather. Luke Hamilton is a fan favourite at Tigers, he tackles everything and empties the tank for the team. In the game against Bath last season he hammered Falatau all over Twickenham in the first half (sadly Falatau managed to turn up in the second half). I'm hopeful Big Fred will offer something different, barnstorming ball carries and game changing big hits. Sort of like his uncle Henry used to give us.

For anyone that is interested there are the try highlights on the Ospreys website.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

By the sounds of it, both fixtures had been agreed before Jackman was appointed.

I can only conclude that they forgot they'd agreed to the first fixture when they were approached about the second fixture. Which is typically incompetent of us. Remember when it didn't dawn on us until two-thirds of the way through last season that our game against the Blues clashed with County's last home game, and that they had primacy of tenure?

Effectively double-booking these friendlies was clearly an embarrassing mistake, but which clown/s, having realised that mistake, decided not to cancel one of them?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

I doubt Jackman would have had a say in the fixtures anyway, I'm just wondering who did decide it. Hopefully we'll put out a better team against Exeter and that should give us an indication of if we are any better than last season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:16 pm

yappysnap wrote:Quins just beat Irish and interestingly Marcus Smith started and played well. Showed good speed and a step for a break and set up a try with a cross field kick. One to look out for this season.

Presumably in the LV. He's had a good list of mentors, George Ford when England trained at his school, Nick Evans at Quins and Wilko at the England training camp. Good to see another quality playmaker on the way through, we're developing a nice embarrassment of riches.

Well with Jackson gone he may play in the Prem in the end. We only have three fly halves ahead of him now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I doubt Jackman would have had a say in the fixtures anyway, I'm just wondering who did decide it. Hopefully we'll put out a better team against Exeter and that should give us an indication of if we are any better than last season.

Team against Exeter is going to be what he considers our first team barring any injuries.

On a side note, having been down in Exeter this weekend and seen some of their fans in Sainsbury's their new kit is horrendous, it makes Stade look tame.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

Dragons, the laughing stock of Rugby in the NH, get your acts together ffs. Lets face it, with WRU assistance it can only get better or at least it couldnt get any worse though you have to wonder when you see the likes of Dan Suter getting signed up..

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:24 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Dragons, the laughing stock of Rugby in the NH, get your acts together ffs. Lets face it, with WRU assistance it can only get better or at least it couldnt get any worse though you have to wonder when you see the likes of Dan Suter getting signed up..

Pretty sure England still hold that title after RWC '15...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:27 pm

munkian wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Dragons, the laughing stock of Rugby in the NH, get your acts together ffs. Lets face it, with WRU assistance it can only get better or at least it couldnt get any worse though you have to wonder when you see the likes of Dan Suter getting signed up..

Pretty sure England still hold that title after RWC '15...
The rest of the world has moved on. Except the Welsh team.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:43 pm

Sale beat Castres 31 - 14

http://www.salesharks.com/news/5322.php#.WZGaZVGGOUl

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

Wouldn't go that far, but you're right about Suter. If you're referring to the Saints game then it was Pro players (two separate teams) vs mostly semi-pro players - not ideal prep but we don't know who organised it yet.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:01 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Wouldn't go that far, but you're right about Suter. If you're referring to the Saints game then it was Pro players (two separate teams) vs mostly semi-pro players - not ideal prep but we don't know who organised it yet.

I read a Morgan Allen in one of those Dragons teams back rows, is that Morgan Allen the ex-Scarlet/Osprey? I though he went to a welsh prem side (but it could have been in the Dragons region).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:05 pm

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I doubt Jackman would have had a say in the fixtures anyway, I'm just wondering who did decide it. Hopefully we'll put out a better team against Exeter and that should give us an indication of if we are any better than last season.

Team against Exeter is going to be what he considers our first team barring any injuries.

On a side note, having been down in Exeter this weekend and seen some of their fans in Sainsbury's their new kit is horrendous, it makes Stade look tame.

Pre-season it makes sense to give as many fringe players a shot, whilst also trying to bed in a first team for the start of the season. These two games with very experimental sides (as that seems to be the in way of saying 'far from first team') make sense to be on the same weekend, give everyone a crack at game time. That way there are still two weekends to play with the 'first team'. (same goes for the Scarlets playing the prem-select).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:13 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I read a Morgan Allen in one of those Dragons teams back rows, is that Morgan Allen the ex-Scarlet/Osprey?  I though he went to a welsh prem side (but it could have been in the Dragons region).

Bedwas have signed him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 14 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I read a Morgan Allen in one of those Dragons teams back rows, is that Morgan Allen the ex-Scarlet/Osprey?  I though he went to a welsh prem side (but it could have been in the Dragons region).

Morgan Allen is a good, solid player that should have been signed by the Dragons after Ed Jackson sad retirement.. Needed someone of his caliber at TH as well instead of Suter, and i'm sure they exist. Peter Edwards says hi.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Aug 2017, 3:50 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Morgan Allen is a good, solid player that should have been signed by the Dragons after Ed Jackson sad retirement.. Needed someone of his caliber at TH as well instead of Suter, and i'm sure they exist. Peter Edwards says hi.

It certainly isn't Peter Edwards. We should have looked to the Super 15 for recruits. I expect big Leon Brown will get a lot more game time this season too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm

Leicester Tigers (v Benetton Treviso, Welford Road, Friday 7.45pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Tom Brady
13 Matt Smith
12 Charlie Thacker
11 Jonah Holmes
10 Joe Ford
9 Sam Harrison
1 Greg Bateman
2 George McGuigan
3 Logovi’i Mulipola
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Dominic Ryan
8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements from
Tom Youngs
Ellis Genge
Chris Baumann
Dom Barrow
Brendon O’Connor
Fred Tuilagi
Ben White
Tom Hardwick
Matt Toouma
Telusa Veainu
Michele Rizzo
Harry Thacker
Ben Betts
Joe Maksymiw
Harry Wells
Luke Hamilton
Harry Simmons
George Catchpole
Nick Malouf
Benetton Treviso include former Tigers prop Tiziano Pasquali in their travelling squad alongside Italy internationals Alberto di Marchi, Francesco Minto, Marco Barnini, and half-back duo Tommaso Allan and Edoardo Gori.
Benetton Treviso squad
Forwards: Marco Barbini, Luca Bigi, Alberto De Marchi, Simone Ferrari, Ornel Gega, Marco Lazzaroni, Nasi Manu, Francesco Minto, Sebastian Negri, Tiziano Pasquali, Nicola Quaglio, Marco Riccioni, Federico Ruzza, Abraham Steyn, Cherif Traore, Federico Zani
Backs: Tommaso Allan, Marty Banks, Tommaso Benvenuti, Ignacio Brex, Giorgio Bronzini, Andrea Buondonno, Angelo Esposito, Edoardo Gori, Ian McKinley, Alberto Sgarbi, Luca Sperandio, Tito Tebaldi

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 17 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Ulster 2nd/3rds playing Wasps 1st/2nds tonight.

It is the way with friendlies I suppose - anything other than a comfortable Wasps win would be very surprising

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 20 Aug 2017, 8:10 am

Glasgow's 2/3rds young guns came within 2 mins of beating Northampton 1/2nds yesterday 14-19 final score.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 20 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

Ospreys 14 Bath 28, probably the result flattered us, we hardly came out of our half in the first 40 minutes, and in the times that we did it was because we kicked long and under pressure and Bath either ran the ball back or kicked into touch. Our line out was abysmal we could have won under 5 lineouts all game, we lost over double that we won, through all the normal methods, overthrow, underthrow, poor lifting and one went straight through Thorntons hands, the scrum was also terrible, but considering we started with at best our 5th choice hooker and loose head, and our first choice tight head went off after around the 20 minute mark, it was no wonder they were destroyed. To add Brendon Leonard who was our Captain today went off around the same time as our tight head, and the Wales U20 scrum half from 2 years ago Mathew Aubrey came on, the half backs were somewhat overwhelmed.
There were some pretty decent performances from all 4 centres who were on show Hook, Allen, Thomas and Watkin. Hook showed why he will be an important signing for us by giving decent cameos at 10, 12 and 15. Watkin showed sheer class when he came on. The young full back Phil Jones had a game he will want to forget he must have dropped the ball from the opposition kicks 4 or 5 times. There was a comedy moment when Bath broke through towards the back end of the match when they were leading 28 - 0, and the player carrying the ball after crossing the whitewash ran to put the ball down near the posts when the young Ospreys wing ran from behind him and got under the ball and prevented a certain 7 pointer.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:41 am

It's not good signs for Ospreys wayne. From what I have been reading they're playing exactly how they did at the end of last season. Extending Tandy's contract was such an amateur decision, one that is ever prevalent in Welsh rugby. I probably wouldn't have hired him in the first place due to his inexperience. I think guys like AWJ, Webb, Biggar have been holding the team together for a while and it's made Tandy seem a lot better than he actually is. Ospreys were way too good for the challenge cup last year, but this year I think they'll struggle in the champs cup - a strange state of affairs. Hopefully it's a blip and they get back to what they're capable of, or our national team is in trouble.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:58 am

A strong loss away to the Aviva champions is going to be of much more value than beating London Jocks away or putting a ton on a premiership select side.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:25 am

munkian wrote:A strong loss away to the Aviva champions is going to be of much more value than beating London Jocks away or putting a ton on a premiership select side.

So we learned that Exeter are 50 points better than us. I probably could have told you that without playing them. It shows that our squad can't compete with the top, so I guess we'll remain around ninth.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 9:30 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:A strong loss away to the Aviva champions is going to be of much more value than beating London Jocks away or putting a ton on a premiership select side.

So we learned that Exeter are 50 points better than us. I probably could have told you that without playing them. It shows that our squad can't compete with the top, so I guess we'll remain around ninth.

*sigh*
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:44 am

Agreed. Exeter are one of the best coached teams going. No real weaknesses in set piece or organisation so it will be a good indication of where your team is at and where they need to work. They are ruthless and it is pre season so probably not a massive concern if you conceded a few, no silverware to win this early.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

14 of our players had the squits during the week too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

Agreed. Exeter are one of the best coached teams going. No real weaknesses in set piece or organisation so it will be a good indication of where your team is at and where they need to work. They are ruthless and it is pre season so probably not a massive concern if you conceded a few, no silverware to win this early.

My view entirely. We beat NH pre season a few years ago then go hammered all season. I'd rather some tough losses.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 21 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It's not good signs for Ospreys wayne. From what I have been reading they're playing exactly how they did at the end of last season. Extending Tandy's contract was such an amateur decision, one that is ever prevalent in Welsh rugby. I probably wouldn't have hired him in the first place due to his inexperience. I think guys like AWJ, Webb, Biggar have been holding the team together for a while and it's made Tandy seem a lot better than he actually is. Ospreys were way too good for the challenge cup last year, but this year I think they'll struggle in the champs cup - a strange state of affairs. Hopefully it's a blip and they get back to what they're capable of, or our national team is in trouble.

Mikey it transpired over the weekend, that Tandy's contract wasn't extended recently, but when Andrew Hore was here, unbelievable!!!! What he did to deserve a 5 year contract is mystifying. A lot to do with yesterday was the inexperience in the starting pack which was not improved after about 20 minutes when Arhip had to go off and was replaced by Rhodri Jones, even though Ma'afu Fia and Scott Otten were on the bench, the Coaches made things worse by fetching on Rhodri and your old boy Gustafson, there were also 2 kids in the back row, seeing what experience Bath had on the field, more experienced players needed to come on for us. Here's the laugh even Lloyd Ashley came on at 6 and had a considerable effect, and as I said the lineout was abysmal which was no better when Ashley came on. This pack would have been better off swapping with last weeks.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 24 Aug 2017, 7:37 pm

Ospreys team to play Leicester Tigers is as follows
15 Dan Evans, 14 Keelan Giles, 13 Cory Allen, 12 Owen Watkin, 11 Jeff Hassler, 10 James Hook, 9 Tom Habberfield, 8 Dan Baker, 7 Olly Cracknell, 6 Rob McCusker, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 BBBD, 3 Ma'afu Fia, 2 Sam Parry 1 Paul James, there are another 14 down as replacements, one of which is the GB silver medalist from last years Rio Olympics Sam Cross, by all accounts it was done with the help of the Welsh Sevens Coach, Sam has impressed in training with us and has been handed this chance.
This 15 will not be too far away from next weeks first game in the Guinness Pro 14 IMO.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

Falcons V Edinburgh @ Melrose tomorrow.
Decent Falcons side named...  

1 Rob Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Will Witty
5 Glen Young
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch
8 Nili Latu

9 Takulua
10 Flood
11 Sinoti
12 Socino
13 Harris
14 Agullla
15 Hammersley

16 Lawson 17 S.Socino 18 Mavinga 19 Green 20 Chick 21 Stuart 22 Hodgson 23 Tait 24 Davidson 25 Hogg 26 Agulla 27 Matavesi

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:55 pm

Edinburgh team

15. Blair Kinghorn
14. Darcy Graham
13. Chris Dean
12. Junior Rasolea
11. Dougie Fife
10. Duncan Weir
9. Nathan Fowles

1. Darryl Marfo
2. Stuart McInally
3. Simon Berghan
4. Anton Bresler
5. Grant Gilchrist
6. Jamie Ritchie
7. John Hardie
8. Magnus Bradbury

Replacements

Neil Cochrane, Cammy Fenton, Ryan Grant, Ross Dunbar, Murray McCallum, Kevin Bryce, Fraser McKenzie, Callum Hunter-Hill, Cornell du Preez, Luke Crosbie, Ally Miller, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Jason Tovey, Jason Baggot, Tom Brown, Jason Harries, Glenn Bryce, James Johnstone, Jamie Farndale

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 3:36 pm

The Dragons have gone from 16-14 up to 40-16 down against Glasgow. Rolling Eyes

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 3:49 pm

Full-time: Dragons 23 Glasgow 40

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 25 Aug 2017, 6:54 pm

Tigers starting XV v ospreys
1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Mulipola
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) Hamilton
8) Kalamafoni
9) Youngs
10) G.Ford
11) May
12) Toomua
13) Tuilagi
14) Brady
15) Veainu

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 25 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

Welly wrote: Tigers starting XV v ospreys
1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Mulipola
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) Hamilton
8) Kalamafoni
9) Youngs
10) G.Ford
11) May
12) Toomua
13) Tuilagi
14) Brady
15) Veainu

A lot of class there Welly, there are not many, I don't recognise, tough night for us I think.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next