The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manchester United to sign Phil Jones

+9
Mark2011
dublfcynwa
ADMIN
davidl1061
compelling and rich
packofwolves
Kay Fabe
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Crimey
13 posters

Go down

Manchester United to sign Phil Jones Empty Manchester United to sign Phil Jones

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Skysports.com has learnt Blackburn Rovers defender Phil Jones is at Manchester United having a medical as he closes on a move to Old Trafford.

The in-demand centre-half is also a target for Arsenal and Liverpool but it would appear United have stolen a march on their Premier League rivals in a transfer race that could be concluded soon.

Liverpool were thought to be the early front-runners for the England Under 21 international but Sir Alex Ferguson, with a healthy transfer chest of his own, is set to land a player many believe will be a mainstay for the senior national side for years to come.

It is understood United have offered the player a five-year contract, despite widespread reports he was to undergo a medical at Liverpool's training ground.

The 19-year-old was supposed to travel to Denmark on Wednesday with the England Under 21s for this summer's European Championship.

The reported fee is £15 million.

So what does everybody think of this?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Manchester United to sign Phil Jones Empty Re: Manchester United to sign Phil Jones

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Thought he was on his way to Liverpool!

The Re-tard

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Manchester United to sign Phil Jones Empty Re: Manchester United to sign Phil Jones

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:33 pm

He could have got first team football at Liverpool, he's just gonna have to keep his fingers crossed that Ferdinand picks up a serious injury.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

Flip him is he doesnt want to come.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

Nice signing. Ferguson clearly aware of Ferdinand's degeneration.

In addition, Wesley Brown is on his way out and Johnny Evans has been sub-par at best for United this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Vastly overrated, decent player but nowhere near the valuation, no wonder so many fans are disgruntled with football

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Vastly overrated, decent player but nowhere near the valuation, no wonder so many fans are disgruntled with football

I disagree

I think he will be Englands next stalwart at the back. Unfortunately

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

Looks like a vastly talented player for me from what I've seen of him. Very disappointed that he isnt coming to Liverpool...there are other options out there though that are perhaps more developed at present.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

dont think united are signing him as a centre back, ive seen him play defensive mid this season and he looked good there and united need cover there and not at centre back. looked better than rodwell when ive seen him play and certainly better value than henderson for twenty mil!!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

compelling and rich wrote:dont think united are signing him as a centre back, ive seen him play defensive mid this season and he looked good there and united need cover there and not at centre back. looked better than rodwell when ive seen him play and certainly better value than henderson for twenty mil!!!

Wasn't the Henderson deal £13m plus N'gog? Now I quite like N'gog but there's no way I could be convinced that he's worth £7m.

Does this mean Rodwell won't be going to Manchester then do you think?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

yeah cant see us signing two players for the same postion, you never know though. all depends what plans fergie has for anderson and carrick. both players who have been in and out of the team in the past. add that both scholes and hargreaves have gone there is room but i see a denfensive signing (jones) then hopefully a more attacking midfileder

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

He just reminds me of a big honest pro, nothing special

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

He is a good player but never worth 16 million, this is why not many clubs are buying English players anymore. They are all vastly over-priced, you can go abroad and buy the same sort of player for around half the price!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

The interview with Redknapp last night showed how sought after Jones is, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and others also tried to get him and he said he’ll be England Captain in a few years time.
The fact that he can play in several positions obviously helps. Utd have needed a quality defensive midfielder for a while, but if he remains in centre back then Utd now have the future England central defence post Terry/Rio.
Ashley Young deal looks to be going through within next 48 hours so hopefully an attacking midfielder and a goalie and that’s probably it for Utd this summer.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:20 am

Hero wrote:Ashley Young deal looks to be going through within next 48 hours so hopefully an attacking midfielder and a goalie and that’s probably it for Utd this summer.

Isn't De Gea agreed to sign for Man U? Fergie splashing the cash this summer; wonder who will be the attacking midfielder that gets signed.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:23 am

I really don’t know in regards to De Gea, saw an interview with him the other day where he was stating that he didn’t want to sort out anything until after the u21s, until he’s at OT pen in hand with a Utd shirt on I’m not counting my chickens.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

I hope it's Sneijder, I can see though that they go for Kagawa of Dortmund as a cheaper option that brings in Far East revenue.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Just thinking about it- £50m this summer will have got you De Gea, Jones and A.Young. Seems like a huge amount of money. Considering neither De Gea nor Jones have played two full seasons in top flight football (Don't get me wrong, I do rate them). But if they manage to live up to their price tag, it may be a fantastic capture for the club.

If you did manage to bring in Sneijder, how would Man U line up next season?

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:37 am

Look's like a very good player to me. Hopefully Liverpool can get Scott Dann now.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

Utd next year I can see as the following

De Gea
Raphael/Fabio Rio/Smalling Vidic Evra
Valencia Jones Sneijder Young
Rooney
Hernandez

Nani I think will be used as makeweight for Sneijder

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

That team defininetely looks like it could win the title, especially with the likes of Fabio/Rafael, Smalling/Rio, Fletcher, Park, Berbatov, Anderson, Evans, Welbeck and Cleverley all in the squad as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

Rumors today are that Chelsea are frontrunners to sign Sneijder, as his wife and he would rather live in London than Manchester. Has he been talking to Tevez? laughing

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

I'm nnt a fan of Ashley Young, never have been, he is far to greedy for me

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Rumors today are that Chelsea are frontrunners to sign Sneijder, as his wife and he would rather live in London than Manchester. Has he been talking to Tevez? laughing

I hope that Utd get VDS to get on the phone to Sneijder as a fellow Dutchman and someone who played in Italy, London and Manchester through his career and 'bigs' up Utd to him.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

I think anyone who needs Utd to be bigged up then Fergie would wave them on their merry way

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

He has passed the medical and will sign the contract by the end of the week. Good luck to him

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

Phil Jones is a great signing for Man United and has always looked impressive when I have seen Blackburn play.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him playing more as a defensive midfield for the next few seasons, while Ferdinand and Vidic are still around, before forming a centre back partnership with Chris Smalling.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

I think Jones and Smalling will get quite a lot of games together next season to be fair. Carling Cup, probably the FA Cup and league games against weaker teams.

They are also the first choice partnership for the U21s at CB.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm

According to the Mail on Sunday, this deal is in tatters now as Liverpool have put in a bid of £22 million, and Arsenal have also outbid United. Although you have to take it with a pinch of salt, after the Carroll and Henderson deals I'm willing to believe this is possible. I would be very dissapointed as a Liverpool fan if we did spend that much money on Henderson and Phil Jones, it's such a huge risk.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Being a Rovers fan Phil Jones is quality. Certainly one for the future. I think with the money that is banding about, he needs to go to a club where he will play regularly for.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

I read that Blackburn weren't happy with 16.5 million so there could be truth in Liverpool and maybe Arsenal outbidding United but if he has had passed a medical why didn't he sign before joining England U21's

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

It is a case of the fee BH. I don't think he is worth over £20M though. That is too much.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

legendkillar wrote:It is a case of the fee BH. I don't think he is worth over £20M though. That is too much.
Same as Henderson there but according to Comolli Liverpool signed him for alot less than 20 million. Thing is if United do sign him for 20 odd miilion how much does that make Sneijder worth

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

Exactly. Henderson and Jones are not 'fully' established Premiership players. The word being used is 'potential' it would be a waste to sign them and then loan them out. Look at Sturridge. How do Chelsea value him at £20m?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm

It's amazing how much a young British player costs these days. Didn't Vidic cost Utd something like seven million? Mental!

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm

legendkillar wrote:Exactly. Henderson and Jones are not 'fully' established Premiership players. The word being used is 'potential' it would be a waste to sign them and then loan them out. Look at Sturridge. How do Chelsea value him at £20m?
I dont know, fair enough he has done well when he has had a chance but 20 million is abit too much. Personally I'm amazed Chelsea are prepared to let him go but if they do then wouldn't mind seeing him at Anfield

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down